ADVERTISEMENT

Depth

UGAly

Aug 26, 2001
IMHO, depth along the offfensive and defensive lines will be the primary factor in who wins this game. With a predicted heat index of 94 degrees, both teams will have to substitute a lot. Will M. pointed out that none of his players had to have intravenous solutions last week. (Meaning that his players are fairly well acclimated to the heat and humidity.) Columbia is 170 miles from Athens and is on about the same latitude. (Meaning that the UGA players should be used to a similar environment. You guys run a hurry up offense in which the OL attempts to get to the second level as quickly as possible. This seems like a strategy that will require resting your OL frequently. You have 3 freshmen on your second team OL. That seems like it might be reason for doubt. The UGA DL and linebackers are deep with quality players to sub in. When UGA is on offense, it would behoove them to run a "grind-it-out" ground game in order to wear down your defense, but our receiving corps is formidable. Hopefully D. Wonnum will be able to play for you. Georgia is deep and talented on the OL so they can substitute liberally. No braggadocio here. Just trying to present an opinion for discussion.

IMHO, depth along the offfensive and defensive lines will be the primary factor in who wins this game. With a predicted heat index of 94 degrees, both teams will have to substitute a lot. Will M. pointed out that none of his players had to have intravenous solutions last week. (Meaning that his players are fairly well acclimated to the heat and humidity.) Columbia is 170 miles from Athens and is on about the same latitude. (Meaning that the UGA players should be used to a similar environment. You guys run a hurry up offense in which the OL attempts to get to the second level as quickly as possible. This seems like a strategy that will require resting your OL frequently. You have 3 freshmen on your second team OL. That seems like it might be reason for doubt. The UGA DL and linebackers are deep with quality players to sub in. When UGA is on offense, it would behoove them to run a "grind-it-out" ground game in order to wear down your defense, but our receiving corps is formidable. Hopefully D. Wonnum will be able to play for you. Georgia is deep and talented on the OL so they can substitute liberally. No braggadocio here. Just trying to present an opinion for discussion.
When hurrying up, the play selection will probably be 75% pass. Less substitution for OL, slowly tearing up Georgia secondary.

Reactions: UGAly
I cannot imagine wearing an 8 - 10 pound uniform and exerting strenuous physical effort for 60 minutes in 104 heat index degrees. Seems like this would definitely require liberal substitution.

Reactions: RockThrillCock
It will all come down to whose defense has to stay on the field the longest in the 2nd half. Both teams will have to keep it close going into halftime and then it's conditioning and focus . We have to keep that huge Jawga OL on the bench.

It will all come down to whose defense has to stay on the field the longest in the 2nd half. Both teams will have to keep it close going into halftime and then it's conditioning and focus . We have to keep that huge Jawga OL on the bench.
Yep. Lots of "stateegery" gonna be going on. If your passing game lives up to your expectations, then your defense isn't going to get a lot of rest. If our OL can control the line of scrimmage, then your defense isn't going to get a lot of rest.

More pass blocking should not wear out our OL as much. The coach needs to play with what the team can give him. No where is as hot and humid as Columbia. I think the weather gives us a slight edge because we practice in it, walk to school in it.

I hope, hope, hope, HOPE - gosh I hope! - we can beat the mangy mutts!!! It will be nice to see all of these UGA fans disappear. The ones who keep popping in here giving out back-handed compliments and smugly lending evidence as to why they will throttle us - why we don't stand a chance - why we will wilt under the dominance of the all-mighty UGA Kirbies. Just win Gamecocks!

Reactions: VirgilCaine
I hope, hope, hope, HOPE - gosh I hope! - we can beat the mangy mutts!!! It will be nice to see all of these UGA fans disappear. The ones who keep popping in here giving out back-handed compliments and smugly lending evidence as to why they will throttle us - why we don't stand a chance - why we will wilt under the dominance of the all-mighty UGA Kirbies. Just win Gamecocks!
92Pony. Sorry. I thought you would enjoy discussing our game. I will stop. Good luck on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT