ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Carter transfer portal

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
Like I said we just blew up our entire basketball program. This guy better know how to recruit. I would not be surprised at the point if the entire team left.

Like I said we just blew up our entire basketball program. This guy better know how to recruit. I would not be surprised at the point if the entire team left.
This is really dampening news. Carter started a few games and played a lot of minutes coming off the bench. Hoping for the best for Carter wherever he decides to go. I have appreciation for Carter's efforts he displayed at South Carolina.

Currently Bryant is the only starter left that has not yet decided if he will comeback for one more season or enter transfer portal.

Is it possible to bring in a new starting lineup and let them practice together for a few months and expect the team to compete in the SEC?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
This is really dampening news. Carter started a few games and played a lot of minutes coming off the bench. Hoping for the best for Carter wherever he decides to go. I have appreciation for Carter's efforts he displayed at South Carolina.

Currently Bryant is the only starter left that has not yet decided if he will comeback for one more season or enter transfer portal.

Is it possible to bring in a new starting lineup and let them practice together for a few months and expect the team to compete in the SEC?

Probably NOT, but hope springs eternal in Columbia. On another note, I have a feeling that some one in the Administration did a cost analysis of the impact on the bottom line of pursuing a bigger name coach and we got what we got . . . wait! We're paying him 2.2 million per???

This exodus, or atleast the opportunity of an exodus of many of our players, is not unlike many years in Martin tenure here. We might see some of those players choose to stay or we might not. “Blowing up our entire basketball program” might be a good thing in the long run. Our “program“ hasn’t been to but one NCAA tournament in the Martins 10 years!!!

This exodus, or atleast the opportunity of an exodus of many of our players, is not unlike many years in Martin tenure here. We might see some of those players choose to stay or we might not. “Blowing up our entire basketball program” might be a good thing in the long run. Our “program“ hasn’t been to but one NCAA tournament in the Martins 10 years!!!
It’s easy to say a blow up might be a good thing on the front end not being happy with 18 wins and no postseason, but unless some serious recruiting is done quickly this team might not win 5 games with what is left.

Ah yes, FM was known for his consistent roster year in and year out. FM had mass turnover yearly before the transfer portal changes.
I think there’s a difference between guys in the end of the bench transferring and guys that were solid contributors. I didn’t see too many of the latter leave under Martin but they are now.

I think Ray Tanner has shot himself in the foot. Our BB program has been destroyed for at least the next 3 years (optimistically) and probably for much longer than that. We are banking on the fact that somehow an unknown unproven coach is going to come in and recruit lights out to make us better. After losing what could have been a stellar recruiting class along with all our starters from this year's team he will be lucky if he can get us back to where we were with FM in 3 or 4 years, let alone making the NCAA tournament.

I think Ray Tanner has shot himself in the foot. Our BB program has been destroyed for at least the next 3 years (optimistically) and probably for much longer than that. We are banking on the fact that somehow an unknown unproven coach is going to come in and recruit lights out to make us better. After losing what could have been a stellar recruiting class along with all our starters from this year's team he will be lucky if he can get us back to where we were with FM in 3 or 4 years, let alone making the NCAA tournament.
You get it. And how do we really think the GG talk is going today? We know you are considering Duke and North Carolina who are in the final four, but why don’t you stay here and play with…..well we will find you someone to play with. Heck at this point we would be better off signing half his Ridge View teammates instead of what’s left on the roster.

Reactions: taiwancock
FM never had every legitimate starter leave the same year. This is beyond disconcerting. Something is either up with this dude or the transfer portal has allowed kids to be ridiculously fickle. My kids are being taught to honor commitments. These kids blow with the wind. Main reason I can't get behind any of them for support.

FM never had every legitimate starter leave the same year. This is beyond disconcerting. Something is either up with this dude or the transfer portal has allowed kids to be ridiculously fickle. My kids are being taught to honor commitments. These kids blow with the wind. Main reason I can't get behind any of them for support.
Well we have to be willing to take both ends of the spectrum. I don’t think anyone is bashing Spencer Rattler for not honoring his commitment to Oklahoma. The transfer portal giveth and the transfer portal taketh away.

One NCAA tournament in 10 years is unaccptable. Should have gotten rid of Martin last year. Frankly when they saw that he was incapable of riding that Final Four season into a great recruiting haul, an argument could be made that he should have been shown the door even sooner.

One NCAA tournament in 10 years is unaccptable. Should have gotten rid of Martin last year. Frankly when they saw that he was incapable of riding that Final Four season into a great recruiting haul, an argument could be made that he should have been shown the door even sooner.
Based on what we have left, when do you think we will make the tournament. We look like an expansion team right now.

It’s possible. Or it was for Texas Tech and they used the portal. O’Banor (from Oral Roberts), Warren (Hampton), Batcho (Arizona), Williams (UTEP), Wilson (LSU), Santos-Silva (VCU), Temperman (UTSA), Allen (East LA College), Arms (Winthrop).

Went 27-10 and to the Sweet 16 in year one of their new coach. But their coach has extensive experience at 6-7 different schools but none being in a major conference. Obviously, he figured out how to get players through the portal and then did a remarkable job of teaching his system and blending all those personalities into a team in a short time. They played very, very good defense. Hats off to Coach Adams.

There are others who tried the same route and we’re not as successful. Duke has a lot of transfers but I think it’s like high school recruits - if Duke offers a transfer a spot, he’s coming. They have the easier route than Texas Tech.

I think the 3 star and below high school athletes suffer from this transfer portal. Instead of taking a high school player that doesn’t have the “super star” or “All-American” label on him, the colleges might rather take a chance on some player in the portal. Asking for opinions on that.

I think the 3 star and below high school athletes suffer from this transfer portal. Instead of taking a high school player that doesn’t have the “super star” or “All-American” label on him, the colleges might rather take a chance on some player in the portal. Asking for opinions on that.
I think you’re correct. I think some coaches have the mentality that they do not need to wait for a player to develop. They can pick up a transfer that’s already accustomed to the college routine.

Based on what we have left, when do you think we will make the tournament. We look like an expansion team right now.
It's too early to make a determination on how this is going to turn out. To me, the only potential loss that stings is Carter. He had the potential with his speed and athleticism to really develop into a player. Cousinard was probably going into the portal anyway as he had already done his senior night. Leveque was big, but you can find what he does on many D-1 programs in the country. You can get a replacement for him. This is about the 4th transfer for Stevenson. So, it's no surprise that he was out the moment Martin was let go. The one thing we will be able to offer to portal guys is playing time and an opportunity at a fresh start. Paris has already done some good work in the portal. Malachi Smith was a Wright State Transfer. Silvio De Sousa was Kansas transfer. So, I am willing to be patient and see how this develops over the summer.

It cuts both ways. It results in the 3 star athlete receiving fewer offers out of high school, however, it allows them to get better offers later if they perform at a lower level.

Reactions: Neanderthal
I know it was a different sport BUT Tennessee had a ridiculous number of portal exits in football last year after they fired Pruitt. With fewer players, you don't need a lot of new recruits to turn around a basketball program, as you do in football. Every Tennessee fan will tell you that they are glad that Pruitt is history.

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
7 players transferred out last season. Look at the rosters starting with the A.Gill departure.
The same thing happened at Kansas State under Martin....lots of turnover in players annually. Martin needed to be excised, especially considering he made only one NCAA Tournament in 10 years. How someone could disagree with that is puzzling, to put it mildly.

Why was Martin fired if a new coach with a clear record of success and momentum was not already confirmed?
Let us all hope for our new coach to lift us up to where we belong!

7 players transferred out last season. Look at the rosters starting with the A.Gill departure.
Yeah but I don’t think anyone knowledgeable about the Anthony Gill transfer blames Frank Martin for that. I’m pretty sure Darrin Horn was responsible for that one. Outside of Trae Hannibal playing for Murray State in this seasons tournament, I really cannot think of a player under Martin that transferred out of here that went and did great things.

If you want to make the connection the turnover is about the same that’s fine, but you’re assuming all parts are equal and that’s not the case in basketball. If a guy bolts to Coastal or SC State to play, that’s not a bad thing. It opens up a scholarship for us and allows that other player to play elsewhere. This happened a lot under Martin, but not anymore than most Power 5 coaches.

The same thing happened at Kansas State under Martin....lots of turnover in players annually. Martin needed to be excised, especially considering he made only one NCAA Tournament in 10 years. How someone could disagree with that is puzzling, to put it mildly.
Well you almost make it sound like those Kansas State teams suffered instead of going to Sweet 16s and Elite 8s. How’s Kansas State post Frank Martin? We might be in for a similar fate.

Well as i said previously, the loud mouth fans are going to get what they asked for. Knowing that RT isn't good at hiring, (Beamer may be his best) but time will tell. The way things are going we will be a far worse team next year than what we had this past year, probably last in the SEC. Firing a men's basketball coach without already knowing who your next coach will be has been a disaster for us. I know there are rules that govern that kind of stuff but it can be done, because so many AD's do it that way. Our next best move would be to replace RT soon. He's been our AD far long enough. We already have good people ready to replace him. The time is now.

It's too early to make a determination on how this is going to turn out. To me, the only potential loss that stings is Carter. He had the potential with his speed and athleticism to really develop into a player. Cousinard was probably going into the portal anyway as he had already done his senior night. Leveque was big, but you can find what he does on many D-1 programs in the country. You can get a replacement for him. This is about the 4th transfer for Stevenson. So, it's no surprise that he was out the moment Martin was let go. The one thing we will be able to offer to portal guys is playing time and an opportunity at a fresh start. Paris has already done some good work in the portal. Malachi Smith was a Wright State Transfer. Silvio De Sousa was Kansas transfer. So, I am willing to be patient and see how this develops over the summer.
That’s a fair and sensible analysis. It’s not all doom and gloom. Carter is the big loss. As you mentioned Couisnard was likely gone anyway. I expect Bryant to leave any day now.

Paris is definitely going to have his recruiting work cut out for him right off the bat. Carter is a significant blow. I would have thought he would have done everything in his power to build that relationship. Maybe he did and the kid still just didn’t want to leave. That was the one piece we needed to build around and now it’s gone.

If we were to pick up Smith or the Kansas transfer it would be a wash, but we need to start hearing about a quality player coming soon too. Right now the perception is they are all leaving. That may not be reality, but it may become it very soon.

Well as i said previously, the loud mouth fans are going to get what they asked for. Knowing that RT isn't good at hiring, (Beamer may be his best) but time will tell. The way things are going we will be a far worse team next year than what we had this past year, probably last in the SEC. Firing a men's basketball coach without already knowing who your next coach will be has been a disaster for us. I know there are rules that govern that kind of stuff but it can be done, because so many AD's do it that way. Our next best move would be to replace RT soon. He's been our AD far long enough. We already have good people ready to replace him. The time is now.
You’re probably stating it better than I am. If we didn’t have a home run hire in the bag, we should not have napalmed our mens basketball program. These people that think well he only made the tournament once in 10 years so what’s the difference obviously don’t remember the Steve Newton or Darrin Horn years. A few of those and we may go 20 years between dances.

Well you almost make it sound like those Kansas State teams suffered instead of going to Sweet 16s and Elite 8s. How’s Kansas State post Frank Martin? We might be in for a similar fate.
Now you know that's not what I said. I said he had lots of turnover at KS, like he did at SC. Unfortunately, the resemblance stopped there. If he had SC in the Big Dance like he did KS, he would still be here. I'd venture to bet that if he had SC in the Big Dance 5 of his 10 years here and won 2 conference championships like Kansas State did after he left, we would not be having this conversation today because Martin would still be here.

I think I'm ready to just wait and see things play out these next 6 months or so until basketball season.

Martin's time here was up...that much I am sure of. All he had to do was get us dancing every 2-3 seasons and I think that would be OK but 1 out of 10 isn't enough.

New hire has been made - support it or not it is done and he's going to get 3-5 years to see what he can do.

He's known as a good recruiter and showed he can work the portal to his advantage - doesn't mean he can duplicate that here but let's wait and see.

Reactions: gamecock stock
You’re probably stating it better than I am. If we didn’t have a home run hire in the bag, we should not have napalmed our mens basketball program. These people that think well he only made the tournament once in 10 years so what’s the difference obviously don’t remember the Steve Newton or Darrin Horn years. A few of those and we may go 20 years between dances.
I remember and it doesn't bother me. I would rather be terrible and just move on to the next guy in 3-4 years than be on the Martin merry-go-round any longer. Martin's seasons tended to play out the same every year. Tease you only to fall apart at the end. I had just had enough and, personally, I didn't care who the next coach was going to be. I just felt it needed to be someone else. We had, already, implied to Martin that it was tournament or else with the restructuring of his contract. You sort of lose credibility when you go back on that. I am not saying that you are not right in believing that Tanner should have already had someone in the bag before letting Martin go. However, I don't think Tanner's failing in that respect was enough to remain on the Frank Martin experience any longer.

I think I'm ready to just wait and see things play out these next 6 months or so until basketball season.

Martin's time here was up...that much I am sure of. All he had to do was get us dancing every 2-3 seasons and I think that would be OK but 1 out of 10 isn't enough.

New hire has been made - support it or not it is done and he's going to get 3-5 years to see what he can do.

He's known as a good recruiter and showed he can work the portal to his advantage - doesn't mean he can duplicate that here but let's wait and see.
Agree. I don't understand some people being so bent out of shape. He was not among my top choices. But, I learned long ago that I cannot get everything I want. Therefore, I approach life to have fun, help others, NOT GET UPSET OVER THE PAST OR THE FUTURE, and just live for today.

I remember and it doesn't bother me. I would rather be terrible and just move on to the next guy in 3-4 years than be on the Martin merry-go-round any longer. Martin's seasons tended to play out the same every year. Tease you only to fall apart at the end. I had just had enough and, personally, I didn't care who the next coach was going to be. I just felt it needed to be someone else. We had, already, implied to Martin that it was tournament or else with the restructuring of his contract. You sort of lose credibility when you go back on that. I am not saying that you are not right in believing that Tanner should have already had someone in the bag before letting Martin go. However, I don't think Tanner's failing in that respect was enough to remain on the Frank Martin experience any longer.
I hope Paris comes through. To be honest I feel a little bad for him. I’m sure he knew he was inheriting a crap show. I’m not sure if he knew exactly how bad it was. It’s going to take a straight grass roots rebuild at this point. To be honest I think he knows GG is gone but has to have the meeting just to give the perception he’s going after him. Between the regime change and transfers, unless he can bring in some solid guys right away it seems unlikely GG would stay home (not sure how likely that was anyway).

Not sure it's about WHO we hired it's more about WHO DID THE HIRING that is the problem....

Same sh*t different sport! Let's hope he's gone before another coach leaves!

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
The basketball landscape has changed drastically in the past three years. I feel for all the coaches out there. They are dealing with the NIL situation, the transfer portal and the egos of players who think they are getting screwed if they are not getting the spotlight. This are dilemmas that I am not familiar with in 4 decades of coaching on the high school level. The days of the coach that is good at developing talent are diminished. It’s all about filling your roster now. (mostly). There are no longer many players, if any, that plan to go to a school and play for four years and get a degree. It’s the Wild West out there.

However, in all of this, there is opportunity for those coaches who manage it well. A coach can build a winner in a hurry if he can gather enough good players and manage the egos and get them to believe in a system, and get them all on the same page. (See Texas Tech, though they were successful before Adams came in.)

I do not know our new coach at all. I’ve never met him and probably never will. I do not know his philosophy of building a team or what he does once his team is on the court. But he is in the Gamecock fold so he is on “our team.” May not have been the first choice or second or whatever. That makes no difference. I hope he produces winning teams, teams that play hard, that behave the proper way, and teams that win. He deserves a chance.

However (another “however”, my apologies), the money talks. If he does not prove to be successful (win, and win without cheating) in 4-5 years, I hope it does not take 10 years to make a move.

I wish the big contract buyout clauses and the extension of contracts after one or two good years, would disappear. These things are not only bad for sports, but bad for corporations and all else. A flash in the pan, so to speak, should not be rewarded in the way it is now.

All this IMO.

Never, every be forced to bargin with a bad hand. All of this today could and should have been anticipated and if you can't find the right person to fill the role and solve those issues you keep what you have until you find that person!

This isn't the first or even the second time we've done this same exact thing. Ray Tanner needs to go and he needs to go now!

Never, every be forced to bargin with a bad hand. All of this today could and should have been anticipated and if you can't find the right person to fill the role and solve those issues you keep what you have until you find that person!

This isn't the first or even the second time we've done this same exact thing. Ray Tanner needs to go and he needs to go now!
You must have never been in a bad relationship. I have and left before I had a new girlfriend lined up. We had delayed the inevitable long enough and who says that we would have ever had the perfect guy lined up. To me, that has been part of our problem in picking coaches in all sports. We have seemed to focused on what their record was at other places rather than assessing what qualities we want in a coach. All jobs are different and success at one place never guarantees success somewhere else. We get locked in on guys like Sean Miller when we don't have the athletic infrastructure in place to attract them. As a result, guys like Miller always use us to get the job they really want. I have, always, said we are going to have to fall into success with an understated hire that works out if we want any type of long-term success. So, I am just willing to keep trying until we find the right guy as opposed to banking on the proven coach that either turns us down or struggles.

You must have never been in a bad relationship. I have and left before I had a new girlfriend lined up. We had delayed the inevitable long enough and who says that we would have ever had the perfect guy lined up. To me, that has been part of our problem in picking coaches in all sports. We have seemed to focused on what their record was at other places rather than assessing what qualities we want in a coach. All jobs are different and success at one place never guarantees success somewhere else. We get locked in on guys like Sean Miller when we don't have the athletic infrastructure in place to attract them. As a result, guys like Miller always use us to get the job they really want. I have, always, said we are going to have to fall into success with an understated hire that works out if we want any type of long-term success. So, I am just willing to keep trying until we find the right guy as opposed to banking on the proven coach that either turns us down or struggles.
Look that's a cute analogy and all but the fact is we traded down and overpaid at the same time.

If there wasn't someone better available then you keep what you have till next year as his buyout is less as well and then you see what is in play. This is business it's not about having a girlfriend hang around too long.

As I said this isn't the first or even the second time we've seen how this movie ends.

I hope Paris comes through. To be honest I feel a little bad for him. I’m sure he knew he was inheriting a crap show. I’m not sure if he knew exactly how bad it was. It’s going to take a straight grass roots rebuild at this point. To be honest I think he knows GG is gone but has to have the meeting just to give the perception he’s going after him. Between the regime change and transfers, unless he can bring in some solid guys right away it seems unlikely GG would stay home (not sure how likely that was anyway).
Personally, I never had any confidence GG was coming. I think that was something Coach Martin was using in an attempt to hang on just a little longer. GG is naturally a 23 recruit. So, he may have not even helped us this year. Even if he came in as a re-class in 22, those decisions are usually not made until after the kid graduates high school and a couple months before the season starts. That would have been just enough of a stall job to save Frank for another year. I am glad we didn't fall for that. We said tournament or else and that's what it needed to be.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT