ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Carter transfer portal

Look that's a cute analogy and all but the fact is we traded down and overpaid at the same time.

If there wasn't someone better available then you keep what you have till next year as his buyout is less as well and then you see what is in play. This is business it's not about having a girlfriend hang around too long.

As I said this isn't the first or even the second time we've seen how this movie ends.
Traded down from what exactly? Being a competitive participant that never makes the postseason? Any Power 5 program that can't even make the NIT in a 5 year span is pretty sorry. You get a 8-10 win head start in the Non-conference schedule (Unless you are Frank Martin teaching life lessons). From there, all you have to do is finish around .500 in your conference. We got snubbed for Vanderbilt, even though we beat them twice. Let that sink in. We got snubbed for a program that has a head coach with 3 years worth of head coaching experience and just retired from the NBA seemingly a minute ago. Yet, many in our fan base are losing their minds because we picked a coach with 25 years of coaching experience and 5 years of Head Coaching experience.

After TEN FREAKIN YEARS Frank Martin is leaving a broken program just as bad or even worse than Coach Horn left him. An ABSOLUTE failure to improve Carolina at all. Ten years going in a circle under Coach Martin.....filled with insane out of control tirades of course.

If in the next three years Coach Paris does not take us to post season but also does not have out of control embarrassing unhinged screaming fits on the bench, we have improved.

Reactions: ForeUSC
Based on what we have left, when do you think we will make the tournament. We look like an expansion team right now.
So what, if anything, would you and perhaps other critics of 1-firing Frank or 2- hiring Paris do regarding our "program"? I think the majority of fans want a change and want it now. Maybe those of us in this corner will have to wait five or more years before making the NCAA's again. Or maybe we will be forced to endure another coaching change.....so what?

Regarding your previous comment about 18 wins.... I know you're prepared to defend the quality of wins over Vandy twice, Georgia twice, Mizzou, GTown, A&M, LSU, FSU, Allen, SC STate, SC Upstate, UAB, Rider and others. But, it would be interesting to hear your defense.

I personally am not at all excited about the hiring of Paris. And i'm in no position to say who might have been a better hire. But at 78 years old I'm willing to take my chances on someone other than Frank.

BTW, just curious, i wonder if Frank's son is going to enter the portal too?

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
So what, if anything, would you and perhaps other critics of 1-firing Frank or 2- hiring Paris do regarding our "program"? I think the majority of fans want a change and want it now. Maybe those of us in this corner will have to wait five or more years before making the NCAA's again. Or maybe we will be forced to endure another coaching change.....so what?

Regarding your previous comment about 18 wins.... I know you're prepared to defend the quality of wins over Vandy twice, Georgia twice, Mizzou, GTown, A&M, LSU, FSU, Allen, SC STate, SC Upstate, UAB, Rider and others. But, it would be interesting to hear your defense.

I personally am not at all excited about the hiring of Paris. And i'm in no position to say who might have been a better hire. But at 78 years old I'm willing to take my chances on someone other than Frank.

BTW, just curious, i wonder if Frank's son is going to enter the portal too?
Well I’m not 78 but I understand not wanting to sit through a rebuild. I don’t want it either.

My argument is simply this. The team showed improvement. Should have been an NIT team. We’re they anywhere close to NCAA Tournament caliber? Not an the beginning of the season. We had a chance to bring most of that back and contend for a spot. Instead we chose to nuke the whole damn thing. Now we’re not anywhere close. We won’t win 10 games next year based on the roster I see. Right now I struggle to see 3 wins in conference.

I think it’s pretty safe to say Franks son is gone. I doubt you’re asking that bc you care that he stays though.

Well I’m not 78 but I understand not wanting to sit through a rebuild. I don’t want it either.

My argument is simply this. The team showed improvement. Should have been an NIT team. We’re they anywhere close to NCAA Tournament caliber? Not an the beginning of the season. We had a chance to bring most of that back and contend for a spot. Instead we chose to nuke the whole damn thing. Now we’re not anywhere close. We won’t win 10 games next year based on the roster I see. Right now I struggle to see 3 wins in conference.

I think it’s pretty safe to say Franks son is gone. I doubt you’re asking that bc you care that he stays though.
You're worried about losing 2pts and 2 rebounds a game from a senior?

You're worried about losing 2pts and 2 rebounds a game from a senior?
You obviously didn’t read the title of this thread. He commented about losing Martins kid, not me.

I’m a little concerned about losing 5 of the top 6 scorers from this years team. It’s one more transfer portal away from losing all 6. That’s not concerning to you?

Last edited:
You obviously didn’t read the title of this thread. He commented about losing Martins kid, not me.

I’m a little concerned about losing 5 of the top 6 scorers from this years team. It’s one more transfer portal away from losing all 6. That’s not concerning to you?
Since we lost 7 last season to the portal, and gained through the portal, no I'm not concerned. Definitely not losing sleep over 2pts 2 rebounds a game.

T

That's better than the 6-14 under Frank 2 seasons ago.
1. I was being generous giving us 9 wins
2. You’re being very disingenuous by not stating the fact that Covid wiped out a lot of wins for that team. Then after a month long pause it had to jump into games against teams that did not have that type of pause. That team was certainly at a competitive disadvantage

Traded down from what exactly? Being a competitive participant that never makes the postseason? Any Power 5 program that can't even make the NIT in a 5 year span is pretty sorry. You get a 8-10 win head start in the Non-conference schedule (Unless you are Frank Martin teaching life lessons). From there, all you have to do is finish around .500 in your conference. We got snubbed for Vanderbilt, even though we beat them twice. Let that sink in. We got snubbed for a program that has a head coach with 3 years worth of head coaching experience and just retired from the NBA seemingly a minute ago. Yet, many in our fan base are losing their minds because we picked a coach with 25 years of coaching experience and 5 years of Head Coaching experience.
We picked him? He was the 4th or 5th candidate and even then we overpayed drastically.

Before it's all done the entire team will be in the portal and you think we make the NCAA or NIT in the next 3 or so years? I wish Paris well but that's not happening!

I think the reason the fanbase as you say is losing their minds is because this is the 3rd time we watched Ray manage to get his 3rd, 4th or 5th place candidate.

If you want to lecture anyone on mediocrity the conversation should start with an AD that has no clue what he is doing when it comes to hiring the people to get to the destination.

Where was football when an AD went and got Lou Holtz? Where was football when that AD turned Lou Holtz into the Ole Ball Coach? I see a lot of people saying what "can't" be done instead of setting expectations and putting the people and resources in place to get there. How did that AD go and get those coaches who turned the program around??? He went and sold them on Carolina is what he did!

When the Ole Ball Coach was ready to go sit down for good he told Ray. What did Ray do? Well he sat on that development and as we know had no plan at all in place. He had a year to search and he did nothing. The rest is history!

Continue to condone this and this is what you will always get!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Other teams sure seemed to manage. Hell, Dawn's team did just fine. Guess if the recruiting was better and not such constant roster turnover, huh?
If you're looking for me to support Frank you won't find it. But if you want to talk about the guy that gave him a contract extension just last year and then managed to track the program and see the results they supposedly discussed and his failure to be ready when that time came I'm all ears.

If Ray wants to hang around and raise money and get pats for 2 trophies a decade ago fine. But he should do that as an Ambassador or in some other role.

He has failed the most critical part of the job of an AD numerous times now and if you want to be serious about winning and attracting coaches and the talent to do that then you have to find someone capable to do that.

Ray is not capable period!

Being in the portal just legally opens up your recruitment again so teams throughout the country can now try to buy you. I think guys have to declare by a certain day or they can't transfer without penalty. Similar to "testing the NBA system" until like July or whatever that date is. Some will probably stay, some will move on.
If we want a decent program, we(fans/donors) need to buy some good players. It's literally that simple now.

Other teams sure seemed to manage. Hell, Dawn's team did just fine. Guess if the recruiting was better and not such constant roster turnover, huh?
In 2020:
Duke was 13-11
North Carolina was 18-11
Kentucky was 9-16

Dawns team was just fine because they are one of the top teams in the country in a sport where there’s a huge gap between the top 6 and the rest

In 2020:
Duke was 13-11
North Carolina was 18-11
Kentucky was 9-16

Dawns team was just fine because they are one of the top teams in the country in a sport where there’s a huge gap between the top 6 and the rest
Yet, Baylor, Gonzaga, Michigan, Houston, Villanova, and Kansas managed too.

Yet, Baylor, Gonzaga, Michigan, Houston, Villanova, and Kansas managed too.
Did any of those teams get hit with a month long suspension of playing or practicing due to Covid? Come on man. Even if you want to knock Frank for underachieving, this isn’t a good look. Not to mention Martin himself had two separate Covid bouts.

I will argue that if we wanted to fire Frank it would have been better off to rip the band aid last year than to give another year.

Reactions: Clevercock3
Did any of those teams get hit with a month long suspension of playing or practicing due to Covid? Come on man. Even if you want to knock Frank for underachieving, this isn’t a good look. Not to mention Martin himself had two separate Covid bouts.

I will argue that if we wanted to fire Frank it would have been better off to rip the band aid last year than to give another year.
Or wait till next year to see what he can do with his returning players and what looked to be a stellar recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT