ADVERTISEMENT

Did Cincinatti belong in the college football playoff?

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
I saw an article on ESPN asking whether or not Cincinnati really belonged in the playoffs after what Alabama did to them on Friday.

Let me say this, they went undefeated in the regular season the last 2 years they gave Georgia all they wanted in their bowl game last year, the only other program that had any kind of argument of getting in the playoff after the final rankings was Notre Dame who Cincinnati beat at Notre Dame during the regular season. So despite getting pummeled by 'bama Cincinnati did earn their way to the college football playoff.

Who else were they going to put in? Notre Dame? We all saw what Alabama did to Notre Dame last year and to be honest if they(Alabama) played Notre Dame again this year the game would have been even worse than what they did to Cincinnati!

Alabama is a beast that few if any teams in college football are equipped to deal with for 4 quarters, the only team I could think of that has a chance of giving Alabama a game at this juncture when Alabama is bringing their A game is Georgia and the Bulldogs would have to bring their A+ game just to have a chance.

I saw an article on ESPN asking whether or not Cincinnati really belonged in the playoffs after what Alabama did to them on Friday.

Let me say this, they went undefeated in the regular season the last 2 years they gave Georgia all they wanted in their bowl game last year, the only other program that had any kind of argument of getting in the playoff after the final rankings was Notre Dame who Cincinnati beat at Notre Dame during the regular season. So despite getting pummeled by 'bama Cincinnati did earn their way to the college football playoff.

Who else were they going to put in? Notre Dame? We all saw what Alabama did to Notre Dame last year and to be honest if they(Alabama) played Notre Dame again this year the game would have been even worse than what they did to Cincinnati!

Alabama is a beast that few if any teams in college football are equipped to deal with for 4 quarters, the only team I could think of that has a chance of giving Alabama a game at this juncture when Alabama is bringing their A game is Georgia and the Bulldogs would have to bring their A+ game just to have a chance.
Cincy belonged. They got a bad matchup. If they played Michigan, I think they would have advanced to the title game. Alabama and Georgia are just too big in the trenches and you saw Alabama take advantage of that. Georgia would have done the same but Cincy is a top 4 team.

As you mentioned the Bearcats won at Notre Dame. The Irish had their chance at home and lost. End of story. If the committee took Notre Dame it would have been a huge credibility blow.

A two loss Ohio State team should not be in. They were obliterated at home by Oregon and still had a chance to play their way in and lost to Michigan. They are probably a “top 4 team” most weeks, but didn’t do it enough.

Everyone else that could even be considered had at least two losses. Cincy earned the right to be there.

Cincy due to P5 team losing so much and then being 13-0 deserved to get in. However, they weren’t the 4th best team. Alabama basically could pick their score. Bama knew Cincy couldn’t score on them and there was no need to risk the ball so they just ran it waiting for the game to end. ND, Baylor, OSU, Ok State all would have given them a better games and could have beat a depleted Bama.

Cincy played 2 P5 with a bye between. Indiana wasn’t that good and ND just came off Wisconsin game. They deserved to get in due to circumstances but they weren’t at all elite.

I think Cincy earned and deserved to be in the CFP, but like most, if not all, G-5 teams they don't have the quality depth to generally go against a top power P-5 team. They may have 2/3 on the OL or DL that they can substitute with during a game without losing effectiveness....so there starters have to play more. I don't think they'd get many players who are ready to play their freshman year....at least at the start. They more have to grow and develop their players to contribute later in their careers.

IMO TOSU, UND, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc....didn't deserve the shot for the NC because they didn't earn it during the season. Don't know many TOSU fans that expected to be there at the first of the year because all they had to replace on offense and defense. By the end of the year, they thought they may have a chance. But they were never consistant enough, especially on defense.

Reactions: king ward
Absolutely they deserved to get in.
That said, I'd like nothing more than getting the guesswork and opinions of the so-called experts out of college football. These conversations shouldnt even be a thing imo.

My bracket would be an eight team bracket made up of 6 conference champions and 2 of 4 teams playing their way in. Move the AAC to the Power 5 making it the Power 6. Now the G5 is G4. This year for instance, the MWC champ would play the Sunbelt champ. Winner gets in. CUSA champ would play MAC champ. Winner gets in. Automatic ins for the 6 Power 6 champs.
There you have it. 8 team playoff built from all 10 conferences. And you just made all conference championship and play-in games must see tv. No subjective decisions necessary. No second chances. Everything is settled on the field. Done.

Last edited:
I think Cincy earned and deserved to be in the CFP, but like most, if not all, G-5 teams they don't have the quality depth to generally go against a top power P-5 team. They may have 2/3 on the OL or DL that they can substitute with during a game without losing effectiveness....so there starters have to play more. I don't think they'd get many players who are ready to play their freshman year....at least at the start. They more have to grow and develop their players to contribute later in their careers.

IMO TOSU, UND, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc....didn't deserve the shot for the NC because they didn't earn it during the season. Don't know many TOSU fans that expected to be there at the first of the year because all they had to replace on offense and defense. By the end of the year, they thought they may have a chance. But they were never consistent enough, especially on defense.
This is a perfect summation in my view. I wouldn't touch it.

Reactions: rogue cock
We needed this game so all those "wouldn't it be great if we expanded the playoff and a Group of 5 team could play Bama. It would be just like the NCAA basketball tournament" people could finally get what they wanted. lol

I think everyone expect Cincy to come out a run a bunch of Statue of Liberty and Hook n' Ladder plays, like Boise State did against Oklahoma. Maybe go for it on 4th down like 5 or 6 times. Instead, they just kept their safeties back to keep the score respectable so they can say "see, we belonged." Whatever. Total snoozefest.

Hopefully the Bama players' injuries weren't serious. Talk about a "meaningless game." Total waste of time.

Bring on Big Boy Football!

1f0d3fa46c9553479832896bf8ff9aa8.jpg

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
That said, I'd like nothing more than getting the guesswork and opinions of the so-called experts out of college football. These conversations shouldnt even be a thing imo.

My bracket would be an eight team bracket made up of 6 conference champions and 2 of 4 teams playing their way in. Move the AAC to the Power 5 making it the Power 6. Now the G5 is G4. This year for instance, the MWC champ would play the Sunbelt champ. Winner gets in. CUSA champ would play MAC champ. Winner gets in. Automatic ins for the 6 Power 6 champs.
There you have it. 8 team playoff built from all 10 conferences. And you just made all conference championship and play-in games must see tv. No subjective decisions necessary. No second chances. Everything is settled on the field. Done.

No thank you. G5 all getting chance at 3 auto bids ruins it. Want to do 6 auto 2 at large fine but no way MWC and Sun Belt should get in over 2nd SEC or whatever P5 team just because of them playing no ranked teams.

Who do you repalce them with? ND is certainly not a candidate. Oklahoma State showed us that.

Ok State was a foot from being in the CFP and played ND without their best O and D players while having no opt outs in a very competitive game. Also, ND coach left after the season. Not sure that proved anything to what you’re saying other than your bias.

Yes they belonged and they were just as competitive if not more competitive than most of the semifinals games that have been played since the CFB playoffs were introduced.

I like the idea of conference champs in the lower tier (MWC vs Sunbelt) playing their way in as long as they don't have an extra (their own) conference champ game before the play in game. That extra game would seem to be unfair compared to the winner of the SEC champ game would not have to beat say the acc champ to get into 8 team playoff.

Reactions: bucketdad
No thank you. G5 all getting chance at 3 auto bids ruins it. Want to do 6 auto 2 at large fine but no way MWC and Sun Belt should get in over 2nd SEC or whatever P5 team just because of them playing no ranked teams.
I get that line of thinking. We're just gonna disagree. What I dont like more than giving a team a second chance (especally one with a late season loss) is having a committee decide who gets in based on opinions. I'd take those you deem not worthy getting a chance over that any day.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
I like the idea of conference champs in the lower tier (MWC vs Sunbelt) playing their way in as long as they don't have an extra (their own) conference champ game before the play in game. That extra game would seem to be unfair compared to the winner of the SEC champ game would not have to beat say the acc champ to get into 8 team playoff.
I could see that. I like it.

I get that line of thinking. We're just gonna disagree. What I dont like more than giving a team a second chance (especally one with a late season loss) is having a committee decide who gets in based on opinions. I'd take those you deem not worthy getting a chance over that any day.
I'm also in favor of reducing the regular season back to 11 games and expand playoff to 16. Auto bids for conferences and several at large bids. Like you said, take most of the guess work and politics out of it.

I think this was on odd year in that only 3 P5 schools truly earned their way in, so it was a good year and to let Cindy in and I also think their success the previous year helped (which I’m ok with).
I think Ok State was maybe the next best P5 school and they were so close to making it but I don’t think they would’ve had enough to knock out Bama either ultimately

After looking at their strength of schedule and seeing how Bama handled them I’d say NO. But experts, one being Nick Saban, publicly stated that they did.

UGA also made Michigan appear that they had no business in the playoffs.

You could have a MWC champ at 8-4 with 2 late season losses getting in. Your logic doesn’t hold outside you think the committee is flawed. Giving auto bids to non top 25 teams is more flawed then trying to pick top 4-8 teams.

You could have a MWC champ at 8-4 with 2 late season losses getting in. Your logic doesn’t hold outside you think the committee is flawed. Giving auto bids to non top 25 teams is more flawed then trying to pick top 4-8 teams.
It is true that you could have a MWC with 2 late season losses wind up in the playoffs, preferably a 16 team playoff. There is the line of thinking that having all conferences represented in the playoff is in the best interest of the health of college football. In the interest of fairness, parity and not having the same small group of teams having a better chance at the blue chip recruits and the same teams in the playoffs year after year. I think the current system is wrong/broke just as the BCS was before it.

Personally, I dont believe the playoffs should be about getting the best teams in. More like a tournament of champions. There should be a clear path in the books for every team in America and they know it beforehand.
Even if the goal now is to get the best teams in, there's been times where one could make a case that 3 of the best teams are from one conference. No way they'll let that happen tho. So yeah, the system is flawed in more ways than one.
As far as logic, what doesnt seem logical to me is giving a team a chance to win a NC when they werent good enough to win their conference.

What’s sad is the other 12 can’t/don’t play big boy football. I think we’re definitely trending in the right direction but would have serious trouble stopping Bammer from running for 200+ yards. Cincy still scored more than MSU, OSU, and ND in 3 separate playoffs. Top 8 would be awesome considering the logic that many of those teams were more deserving than Cincy. The reality is as usual, it’s not even Alabama and UGA, it’s simply Alabama. They made UGA look like children when they decided to stop toying with them in ATL. Bammer by 14

Personally, I dont believe the playoffs should be about getting the best teams in. More like a tournament of champions. There should be a clear path in the books for every team in America and they know it beforehand.
Even if the goal now is to get the best teams in, there's been times where one could make a case that 3 of the best teams are from one conference. No way they'll let that happen tho. So yeah, the system is flawed in more ways than one.
As far as logic, what doesnt seem logical to me is giving a team a chance to win a NC when they werent good enough to win their conference.

Why give a 4 loss team a chance to win a title just because their conference was worse? Not all conferences are equal so being a conference winner doesn’t mean the same.

The “must be a conference champion” criteria is completely illogical. UGA was not a conference champion but smoked the Big 10 champ and would smoke any other P5 conf champ except Bama.

Why give a 4 loss team a chance to win a title just because their conference was worse? Not all conferences are equal so being a conference winner doesn’t mean the same.
I get it. It's not going to be popular for the let the experts decide who the best teams are crowd.
I know how it works now so I dont really need examples of how it can be. Some are good with the way it is. I'm not. Good thing it's just my opinion.

I get it. It's not going to be popular for the let the experts decide who the best teams are crowd.
I know how it works now so I dont really need examples of how it can be. Some are good with the way it is. I'm not. Good thing it's just my opinion.

I’d rather a hybrid of the two, hence why I said earlier auto bids with at large as well. It balances reward and rigor.

Reactions: bucketdad
If you agree with the notion that there’s no difference whatsoever between a P5 schedule and a G5 schedule, then sure they did.
Cincy had a weak SOS, but they beat ND at home, won all of their games and their conference. They were given the opportunity as the 1st G5 team to compete in the CFP. They got hammered by Bama. Of course a lot of good teams get hammered by Bama. Not sure how history will look at Cincy’s opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT