ADVERTISEMENT

Do y'all still want to get rid of Frank?

Before the year began we were projected to finish dead last (14th) in the SEC. With a 4th place finish, what Frank and this team accomplished was nothing short of miraculous. Frank transformed this team from one that could not beat Stony Brook early in the season to a Tournament worthy contender. The development that occurred this year is extraordinary. Just think what level Frank will have these Freshman playing at next year. I think what bothers most haters is that they know next year and the foreseeable future Frank is going to field tournament quality teams and they lost there opportunity to be right and get a coach they approved of.
No one said fire Frank now. We make the tournament next year and everyone is good. The fact that we were projected to finish last two years after making the tournament is unimpressive but at least we played well and proved the prognosticators wrong. How about a season where we play well beginning to end. If we had done it this year we'd be dancing. But I shouldn't expect that because our history doesn't support it. If George Felton had fielded better teams Frank Martin would recruit better.

So???? He did it the way the vast majority of teams do it. UNC and Duke cheat more than any schools maybe except Kentucky and Kansas.
Cheating can also be a major backfire. You have to get away with it for a while before you can reach any sustainable success. Look how quickly Wade got caught. LSU is likely to get stripped bare and be a non-factor for a while. If and when we go away from Frank Martin, we should go after a known commodity. Maybe OKC will tank next season and put Billy Donovan back on the market. I know I don't want any coaches from the little south or southern, or any small conference for that matter. Maybe we can hope Rick Patino makes early parole. LOL

Reactions: lawcalcock
To add to it, we lost to Bama in four overtimes in Columbia near the end of the regular season. They owned our @$$e$. What has surprised me is that Bama, which was easily more athletic than we were than year, hasn't gotten better than they are. I thought they were an emerging program.
Word is Avery Johnson is looking to get out of there. He is convinced Bama will never support basketball.

Reactions: king ward
Before the year began we were projected to finish dead last (14th) in the SEC. With a 4th place finish, what Frank and this team accomplished was nothing short of miraculous. Frank transformed this team from one that could not beat Stony Brook early in the season to a Tournament worthy contender. The development that occurred this year is extraordinary. Just think what level Frank will have these Freshman playing at next year. I think what bothers most haters is that they know next year and the foreseeable future Frank is going to field tournament quality teams and they lost there opportunity to be right and get a coach they approved of.
So: Dance next Year or Out of Here. You good with that?

So: Dance next Year or Out of Here. You good with that?
The way I see it, Horn left our team in shambles. Frank took over and produced teams that got better 5 years straight. It took until year 4 to build a competitive team and one that should have made the tournament (beat a Vandy squad twice that made it even though they finished lower in the conference). Year 5 he takes a senior laden team to the promised land with a Final Four, which led to losing PJ early. Year 6 the team took a step backward as expected after replacing most of its production. Year 7, Freshman finish way ahead of any projections but multiple injuries have us playing short most of the year keeping us on the bubble down the stretch. Year 8, expectations will be high with the major question being who steps up to fill Silva's void. I fully expect the team to make the tournament but I've been a Gamecock for way too long to not expect the unexpected. I refuse to throw the baby out with the bath water. I don't lay the blame at Muschamp's feet for a less than stellar defense due to the injuries this year. I think Frank is an excellent coach and will judge him at the end of next season based on the totality of what happens. I would want the same benefit of the doubt in my job as well.

The way I see it, Horn left our team in shambles. Frank took over and produced teams that got better 5 years straight. It took until year 4 to build a competitive team and one that should have made the tournament (beat a Vandy squad twice that made it even though they finished lower in the conference). Year 5 he takes a senior laden team to the promised land with a Final Four, which led to losing PJ early. Year 6 the team took a step backward as expected after replacing most of its production. Year 7, Freshman finish way ahead of any projections but multiple injuries have us playing short most of the year keeping us on the bubble down the stretch. Year 8, expectations will be high with the major question being who steps up to fill Silva's void. I fully expect the team to make the tournament but I've been a Gamecock for way too long to not expect the unexpected. I refuse to throw the baby out with the bath water. I don't lay the blame at Muschamp's feet for a less than stellar defense due to the injuries this year. I think Frank is an excellent coach and will judge him at the end of next season based on the totality of what happens. I would want the same benefit of the doubt in my job as well.
You probably wouldn't get it. Your manager would be smarter than that. He would say, "Never confuse effort with success."

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You make me sick with all your facts and logic there's no place for that when talking about Frank Martin.;)

Seems like some pretty reasonable opinions in here. Let me try to summarize:

- Final Four run was a total fluke, doesn't count for anything
- We have finished in the Top 4 of the SEC 3 of last 4 years, but the last 8 years are an "absolute disaster"
- We aren't landing 5 stars and the top in-state kids, recruiting is a total failure
- Frank is an overall failure and should be fired, there are plenty of good coaches lining up to replace him

What did I leave off?

Reactions: tngamecock#
You probably wouldn't get it. Your manager would be smarter than that. He would say, "Never confuse effort with success."
I did not mention effort once, in fact I wrote specifically about RESULTS and cited where Frank took a dumpster fire and progressively made it better for 5 straight years until he led us to the first Final Four appearance in the history of our program. You on the other hand want to wave those results off as somehow a fluke which is a back hand to that teams effort and Frank's development. So don't confuse bitching about something as actually having done something.

Reactions: funktavious

Me too.

I did not mention effort once, in fact I wrote specifically about RESULTS and cited where Frank took a dumpster fire and progressively made it better for 5 straight years until he led us to the first Final Four appearance in the history of our program. You on the other hand want to wave those results off as somehow a fluke which is a back hand to that teams effort and Frank's development. So don't confuse bitching about something as actually having done something.
Those results are in the rear-view mirror. And in the rear-view mirror, they're getting smaller and harder to see all the time - unless the only way you look is backwards through binoculars and then a telescope. I myself need something else to look at - something more proximate to the vehicle I'm in.

Yeah you can. You can try your @$$ off and come up short. That's one without the other.
And you can NOT try your ass off and come up short every time without a doubt. I'll take the trying odds. I'll take the ones who try and you take the other ones and see who wins more. I could "try" to kick Mike Tyson's butt and lose, you NOT TRY against his sister and get your ass kicked.

Dude please stop the nonsense! Do you work for CNN?

Not sure what nonsense? The advocacy for cheating ? Nope, that wasn't me.

Guess you missed the post directly below my post where I said " or I took it out of context and am wrong."

How about the nonsense of "if I were AD I would fire Frank today." Dadgum, not me either

Or calling the final four run the biggest "anomaly in hoops lore"

When does the nonsense end, honestly?

Seems like some pretty reasonable opinions in here. Let me try to summarize:

- Final Four run was a total fluke, doesn't count for anything
- We have finished in the Top 4 of the SEC 3 of last 4 years, but the last 8 years are an "absolute disaster"
- We aren't landing 5 stars and the top in-state kids, recruiting is a total failure
- Frank is an overall failure and should be fired, there are plenty of good coaches lining up to replace him

What did I leave off?

I wouldn't say the Final Four Run was fluke, they simply got hot for a two week stretch, exactly what it takes for any team to get to the final four, otherwise the four best teams in the country would make it every year.

We have finished in the top 4 of the SEC three of the last four years, and have what to show for it? What does that amount to if you don't make the NCAAT? Absolutely nothing. Just like this year, we are one game above .500 but some are praising FM coaching them to a 16-15 record this year... Seriously?!?!

Some might complain about not getting five stars, but I question when you can't fend off Vandy, Arkansas, Tennessee, Bama and other non basketball powers for in-state talent... Not to point out facts but FM classes have averaged in the 60s nationally, this past years was saved in the 50s because Lawson reclassified.

You give Frank next year to make it to the tournament or you move on. I think he is a good coach, but you have to have wins besides moral victories and "Fourth in the SEC". And while you might think that coaches aren't looking to come here, I can assure you that many coaches would die to get a power 5 coaching opportunity.

Reactions: rogue cock
I absolutely agree. It's as if some folks want him to fail next year just so they can say I told you so.

I am confident that we will not only be good next year, we will be very good. I have some concerns about replacing what Silva brings to the game but we will make adjustments to suit our strengths.
I wouldn't say the Final Four Run was fluke, they simply got hot for a two week stretch, exactly what it takes for any team to get to the final four, otherwise the four best teams in the country would make it every year.

We have finished in the top 4 of the SEC three of the last four years, and have what to show for it? What does that amount to if you don't make the NCAAT? Absolutely nothing. Just like this year, we are one game above .500 but some are praising FM coaching them to a 16-15 record this year... Seriously?!?!

Some might complain about not getting five stars, but I question when you can't fend off Vandy, Arkansas, Tennessee, Bama and other non basketball powers for in-state talent... Not to point out facts but FM classes have averaged in the 60s nationally, this past years was saved in the 50s because Lawson reclassified.

You give Frank next year to make it to the tournament or you move on. I think he is a good coach, but you have to have wins besides moral victories and "Fourth in the SEC". And while you might think that coaches aren't looking to come here, I can assure you that many coaches would die to get a power 5 coaching opportunity.
I'm sure coaches will be lining up to come here if Coach Martin were to get fired.

I think it would be more like "I'm not touching that job with a ten foot poll. They just fired a coach two years removed from a final 4 run after a bit of unexpected roster turn over and injuries. Talk about some unrealistic expectations from a school with very little tradition. I think I'll pass."

Last edited:
Reactions: tngamecock#
I have yet to read a single post where he said the FF run was luck. He accurately described it as a hotstreak. That team limped to the finish line. It lost to Bama in the SEC tournament. So yes it was a remarkable and shocking run. If I recall correctly, the talk going into the NCAA tournament was we were overseeded and would get thumped by Marquette. Two weeks later we were a Thornwell stomach virus from the championship game.

Excuse me....you are right....I was paraphrasing. Midline’s words were “miracle two week run” .....so I stand corrected as the word lucky wasn’t used. My bad. Eyeroll

And you can NOT try your ass off and come up short every time without a doubt. I'll take the trying odds. I'll take the ones who try and you take the other ones and see who wins more. I could "try" to kick Mike Tyson's butt and lose, you NOT TRY against his sister and get your ass kicked.
Nobody's advocating not trying. We're talking about trying but it not being enough. Not trying isn't even on the table.

Um...you just made my point about the Final Four seemingly not existing as an accomplishment in people's minds. Also, the "some" that are praising FM for the record this year are national media, fellow coaches and fans who were paying attention to the extreme adversity this year's team has faced with injury and inexperience. It's been a damn near miraculous outcome based on what they dealt with.

Reactions: cadcock
Year 8, expectations will be high with the major question being who steps up to fill Silva's void. I fully expect the team to make the tournament but I've been a Gamecock for way too long to not expect the unexpected. I refuse to throw the baby out with the bath water.
This is the crux of the problem for next year. I don't see anyone on this team that's ready to even come close next year.

I'm curious to know what FM supporters will say next year if we don't make the tournament again and he is then 1-8 years... This is the difference between the old Garnet and the new Garnet thought process accepting mediocre results as the norm... History from before these kids were born has zero effect on where they go to school.
What will all the Fire Frank Now guys say when the new coach comes in and they have to give him a pass because Frank has "left the cupboard so bare"? 2-3-4 more years of rebuilding from this "mediocre" team is what you will get. Frank is the only way out in the next 2-3 years.

What will all the Fire Frank Now guys say when the new coach comes in and they have to give him a pass because Frank has "left the cupboard so bare"? 2-3-4 more years of rebuilding from this "mediocre" team is what you will get. Frank is the only way out in the next 2-3 years.

uh duh! Frank leaves the cupboard bare for himself each year!!RollLaughLaughing:rolleyes:

Reactions: king ward

This is college basketball. You can turn a program around in a year or two. If a guy comes into an interview talking about some kind of 5 year plan, you kindly show them the door. The coaches’ reputations and connections are far more important than the program itself. The plan is to get top 150 recruits and win. Every year.

I get what you're saying. We don't need to make a move this year, because you give the benefit of the doubt with the injuries, inexperience, etc... But seriously if he doesn't make it next year, are we content with having a coach who would have made the tournament once in eight years? They take 68 teams!!! 68, yet each year there is an excuse why we didn't make it, and the wait until next year crowd. If that's the case that we are connect with the amount he has gone , then Nobody needs to say a dang word about any football if they don't make a bowl game for several years in a row or baseball not making it to a regional since Kingston took them to a Super last year-

Reactions: rogue cock
This is college basketball. You can turn a program around in a year or two. If a guy comes into an interview talking about some kind of 5 year plan, you kindly show them the door. The coaches’ reputations and connections are far more important than the program itself. The plan is to get top 150 recruits and win. Every year.

Let's not mention that he is making $2,950,000 a year. You'd think that would help get the job done

Those results are in the rear-view mirror. And in the rear-view mirror, they're getting smaller and harder to see all the time - unless the only way you look is backwards through binoculars and then a telescope. I myself need something else to look at - something more proximate to the vehicle I'm in.

Objects in that mirror may be closer than they appearjumpingsmile It’s sad when the passenger door side mirror is smarter than most of this board.

Reactions: cadcock
Objects in that mirror may be closer than they appearjumpingsmile It’s sad when the passenger door side mirror is smarter than most of this board.
It doesn't say that in the rearview mirror. I was talking about the rearview mirror. I said rearview mirror. You are talking about the side-view mirror. Not a perspicacious retort.

Reactions: wdgamecock22
It doesn't say that in the rearview mirror. I was talking about the rearview mirror. I said rearview mirror. You are talking about the side-view mirror. Not a perspicacious retort.

I was thinking about a poll question. Who on FGF is more miserable and negative than Eeyore.....how bout it King, you in?

I was thinking about a poll question. Who on FGF is more miserable and negative than Eeyore.....how bout it King, you in?
I'm completely sanguine. I'm having fun with all this. But that doesn't mean I want to defer success for another 8-10 years trying to ease a coach into retirement because people like him.

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT