ADVERTISEMENT

Do y'all still want to get rid of Frank?

You've given up. I get it. Just ride what we have into wherever. Every moment that happens becomes part of history as long as time exists. So history ain't over yet. Did I say anything about the future?

I certainly am aware this thread and most of the comments are about a year old. But this exact thread could easily have been started just this past week. The comments are the same. The emotions are the same. Only the names have been changed, to protect the innocent.

What caught my eye were all these comments attempting to 'define history' and it's relationship to our basketball program, Frank Martin and program success or, lack there of, (whichever you prefer). While I do not agree, I can, at least, appreciate those who want to retain Frank Martin because of blind loyalty or, because of the amount of his buy-out or, even because the next young basketball coaching star, on the horizon, has not yet been clearly identified.

What I can not understand nor accept, for a single moment, is this pseudo argument that because our program has had less than stellar success on the hardwood (or has flat out sucked, whichever you prefer) that we should continue with the current leadership simply because some fear that things might not improve, we've sucked for decades and they don't want to start all over from the beginning, AGAIN.

Is that not the DEFINITION of ... Acceptance of Mediocrity?

What I can not understand nor accept, for a single moment, is this pseudo argument that because our program has had less than stellar success on the hardwood (or has flat out sucked, whichever you prefer) that we should continue with the current leadership simply because some fear that things might not improve, we've sucked for decades and they don't want to start all over from the beginning, AGAIN.

I'm on both sides of it. Obviously, none of us would outright say we should just accept mediocrity. However, we've burned through 3 coaches, all who had a good track record of success and making it to the NCAAT prior to coming here (Fogler, Odom and Martin).

It's not that I don't think Frank has succeeded to the point that he is immune to being dismissed. I just don't know where else you turn. In addition to the proven winners listed above, we tried the up-and-comer and that flamed out in dramatic fashion.

There are inherent limitations on our program that are never going to change.

Reactions: kidrobinski
I certainly am aware this thread and most of the comments are about a year old. But this exact thread could easily have been started just this past week. The comments are the same. The emotions are the same. Only the names have been changed, to protect the innocent.

What caught my eye were all these comments attempting to 'define history' and it's relationship to our basketball program, Frank Martin and program success or, lack there of, (whichever you prefer). While I do not agree, I can, at least, appreciate those who want to retain Frank Martin because of blind loyalty or, because of the amount of his buy-out or, even because the next young basketball coaching star, on the horizon, has not yet been clearly identified.

It is the PRECISE definition of it.

I’ve been frustrated at times, but I do not want to get rid of Frank, and I certainly don’t want RT hiring his replacement.

If we beat Vandy & get 1 win in the tourney, I honestly think we are in the tournament. The emphasis on road wins coupled with our quad 1 wins, coupled with the eye test ... it’s a real possibility. That’s the difference between this years team & others. And if that happens it completely changes the FM discussion. It will change from 1 ncaa bid in 8 years to bids in 2 of the last 4– and it should have been 3 of 5.
So let’s let it play out. I was at the game tonight and left feeling optimistic

Reactions: cadcock
no sir ! He’s got a good nucleus of players and we only have one senior
We believe Frank is finally building a stable program with something to build on
Bottom line, is still IMO, NCAA this year, or Frank needs to go!! ( I am so Glad he beat the Taters, but bar is set at NCAA tourney)..

no sir ! He’s got a good nucleus of players and we only have one senior
We believe Frank is finally building a stable program with something to build on

What a JOKE!!!! You also believe the moon is made out of cheese too, right? Kotsar is graduating. Without him, we probably wouldn't even make it to the NIT this season. Who replaces his scoring and post play? Is it one of the guys coming in from our 71st ranked recruiting class next season?

Question is on those recruits. Some better than others, but who of the people we need to beat did we actually beat for those recruits? UT's recruiting just continues to get better. Kentucky isn't recruiting anyone we are, and whether one likes Cal's methods or not, he manages to pull a bunch of egos together every year for a top level team. Heck, Crean down at UGA is set for a great recruiting year with a commitment from a 5 star. And all of these guys can coach. It ain't rocket science. Somewhere along the line talent always wins out.
Frank’s bunch of average freshman beat both Kentucky and Georgia’s 5 star freshman.

I cant believe how many losers we have on this board! We SUCK at all 3 sports that matter right now and nothing is improving. Anyone who accepts Martin's crappy results has ZERO pride in the USC.
I cannot stand people who settle for average/mediocrity! LOSERS!!

Classy post.:(

I cant believe how many losers we have on this board! We SUCK at all 3 sports that matter right now and nothing is improving. Anyone who accepts Martin's crappy results has ZERO pride in the USC.
I cannot stand people who settle for average/mediocrity! LOSERS!!

Then maybe you should consider ditching the Liberterian party. Their success rate in elections is much lower than Martins winning percentage.

I'm on both sides of it. Obviously, none of us would outright say we should just accept mediocrity. However, we've burned through 3 coaches, all who had a good track record of success and making it to the NCAAT prior to coming here (Fogler, Odom and Martin).

It's not that I don't think Frank has succeeded to the point that he is immune to being dismissed. I just don't know where else you turn. In addition to the proven winners listed above, we tried the up-and-comer and that flamed out in dramatic fashion.

There are inherent limitations on our program that are never going to change.
Wow; a rational post. Refreshing.

Points I agree with: many top players had already committed at the time of the FF run. Lawson and Bryant have performed very well.

Points I think are questionable, at best: Moss and Cousiard will be upgrades. (I hope they will. But we've seen pretty much nothing to make this judgement. The jury is still out.) The future of USC men's Basketball is as good as any men's program we have. (Again, I hope..and I hope next season isn't filled with discussions of how hard it is to replace Silva and Gravett.)

Points you ignored: While many fans were/are frustrated by recruiting results after the FF run, the in-state results have been most frustrating and plenty of those were decisions the kids made after the FF run. The year of the run, we missed on Jalek Felton (no big loss), Devonte Shuler (Frank really seemed to want him), and Nicholas Claxton. In 2018, we missed on Zion (not much chance, here), Aaron Nesmith, and DJ Burns. This year, we missed on Josiah James, Juwan Gary, and Malcolm Wilson.

If Frank can't consistently keep the cupboard stocked, he won't consistently make the NCAA tourney. I don't much care WHERE the players come from, but it seems MOST teams build in one of two ways: load up when you have in-state talent OR become a regional or national recruiting program. We've done neither, so far.
If you can’t win your State after 8 years you can’t win. Its not like we can recruit nationally.

What a JOKE!!!! You also believe the moon is made out of cheese too, right? Kotsar is graduating. Without him, we probably wouldn't even make it to the NIT this season. Who replaces his scoring and post play? Is it one of the guys coming in from our 71st ranked recruiting class next season?
We said the same thing last year when Silva was graduating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT