ADVERTISEMENT

Embarrassing

The game was on tv? What channel?

I forgot there was a game this afternoon. I did catch most of the 2nd half on the radio as I ran some errands.

No they couldn’t. But I will say this. We were in the game just like at UT. I think we were tied at 28, and Frank gets mad and starts spastically substituting players. It was right after that where I’m surprised he didn’t get a tech, over a terrible call by the ref.
But here we are playing tough against a good team at home and Frank completely loses his grip, yanking and putting players in, is just a bad look and feel from a leader. Tired of watching that crap.
Frank has many great qualities and I appreciate what he stands for. I just don’t think he should remain coach here.

Rick Barns passed Frank in 2 years. When Frank failed to capitalize on the Final Four in recruiting he was done.

Reactions: jerryusc
Is the University trying to wait out a buy-out before parting ways? Or is Ray just being Ray and avoiding the issue? Those two need to ride off into the sunset together.

Reactions: Fish&Grits
Is the University trying to wait out a buy-out before parting ways? Or is Ray just being Ray and avoiding the issue? Those two need to ride off into the sunset together.
Agree.
Ray needs to retire and let a new AD find a basketball coach. And we do not need to wait another year.
I’m afraid that 1- we’ll wait another year or 2- if Ray is retired this year and Frank is fired, will the new President find an AD and does the new President have that ability or 3- the board will have an unsolicited or excessive influence on the hire of new basketball coach.
That’s a lot of questionable alternatives.

I thunk Frank's buyout is more than manageable at this point. And look at Frank. He looks awful. I think he is tired of the fight and is ready to go. And he knows at this point that there is no light at the end of the tunnel as far as he being able to turn things around. He managed to turn mediocrity into an art form in Columbia and become a very wealthy man where a couple generations of Martin's won't have to lift a finger. Imagine he is looking forward to retiring back to Miami

Agree.
Ray needs to retire and let a new AD find a basketball coach. And we do not need to wait another year.
I’m afraid that 1- we’ll wait another year or 2- if Ray is retired this year and Frank is fired, will the new President find an AD and does the new President have that ability or 3- the board will have an unsolicited or excessive influence on the hire of new basketball coach.
Tanner will be here until June 2024. Martin would more than likely been released last year if it weren't for our some members of the BOT, the former president, and the SC legislature. Martin's renegotiated buyout drops to $3M as of April 1....which makes it much more reasonable.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Tanner will be here until June 2024. Martin would more than likely been released last year if it weren't for our some members of the BOT, the former president, and the SC legislature. Martin's renegotiated buyout drops to $3M as of April 1....which makes it much more reasonable.

It was mainly the fault of former State Senator Joel Lourie and current State Senator Darrell Jackson

(Jackson - whose son is the twitter warrior that supposedly was badmouthing Frank to high school kids in South Carolina about Frank Martin).

Reactions: rogue cock
It's a shame you have to keep saying this again and again. What are people thinking?

No they couldn’t. But I will say this. We were in the game just like at UT. I think we were tied at 28, and Frank gets mad and starts spastically substituting players. It was right after that where I’m surprised he didn’t get a tech, over a terrible call by the ref.
But here we are playing tough against a good team at home and Frank completely loses his grip, yanking and putting players in, is just a bad look and feel from a leader. Tired of watching that crap.
Frank has many great qualities and I appreciate what he stands for. I just don’t think he should remain coach here.
What I don't understand is that he takes a guy out of the game after a good play and berates him on the sidelines. At least that is what it looks like he is doing. Maybe he is saying, "why don't you do that every play." But why bench a guy after he makes 2 straight 3-pointers? If he's hot let him stay in the game.

It was mainly the fault of former State Senator Joel Lourie and current State Senator Darrell Jackson

(Jackson - whose son is the twitter warrior that supposedly was badmouthing Frank to high school kids in South Carolina about Frank Martin).
Not supposedly. He was not very candid about his dislike of USC.

Agree.

Oh, my. If #3 is the one we'll end up with Mickey Mouse as AD and Donald Duck as Head Basketball Coach. Hmmmm . . . might be an improvement! LOL!

What I don't understand is that he takes a guy out of the game after a good play and berates him on the sidelines. At least that is what it looks like he is doing. Maybe he is saying, "why don't you do that every play." But why bench a guy after he makes 2 straight 3-pointers? If he's hot let him stay in the game.
With Frank, who knows? He is so bent on playing the right way defensively. The guys on the radio alluded to some of his comments after the Kentucky game, at least I think I am right in this assertion. That Frank relayed a story and spoke of how proud he was of his team because of their defensive intestity after a tough loss on the road to a Texas A&M team that had multiple future pros on it. Almost alluding to the fact we didnt leave it all on the court against Kentucky.
His substitution patterns have never made sense are made too many times in regards to his emotions. Watch any other great coach. Frank isn't exempt to chewing his players out, but how often does Pearl and Calipari show love for the good things their players do during the game? Now tell me when do you see Frank do this. There has to be a balance there, and there is a reason we don't have shooters or play tight on that end at times.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Not supposedly. He was not very candid about his dislike of USC.

Yeah- and the odd thing was his dad was vocal on USC keeping Frank Martin. It was odd.

But maybe the son just doesn't like Frank Martin.

Heck, I always thought Frank was best when he was dealing with kids in the community and his former players. They seem to go out of their way to come back to see him and he seems to preach to them about being good citizens.

Yeah- and the odd thing was his dad was vocal on USC keeping Frank Martin. It was odd.

But maybe the son just doesn't like Frank Martin.

Heck, I always thought Frank was best when he was dealing with kids in the community and his former players. They seem to go out of their way to come back to see him and he seems to preach to them about being good citizens.
No his son does not like The University of South Carolina. The obvious reason is that he is a Clemson fan, but also there is some sort of anger towards USC from influential members of the black community. Maybe over the years USC didnt kiss their ass or let them extort the school in exchange for steering kids towards us but its negatively affecting our basketball program and has for a long time.

Going back to specifically the younger Jackson, in that twitter thread and in other areas he says USC doesnt do anything for the black community. I think its bullshit though, I feel like Ive seen our athletic teams frequently doing community service projects all over town.

USC men's basketball has been a collective cluster #$! for the past 50 years except for a sprinkle of success here and there....the window to get serious and be a major factor in the SEC is closing very quickly and a change needs to happen soon

No his son does not like The University of South Carolina. The obvious reason is that he is a Clemson fan, but also there is some sort of anger towards USC from influential members of the black community. Maybe over the years USC didnt kiss their ass or let them extort the school in exchange for steering kids towards us but its negatively affecting our basketball program and has for a long time.

Going back to specifically the younger Jackson, in that twitter thread and in other areas he says USC doesnt do anything for the black community. I think its bullshit though, I feel like Ive seen our athletic teams frequently doing community service projects all over town.

I have a feeling Frank personally ignored Jackson's son for some reason- maybe frank didn't recruit a kid that he was trying to push toward USC.

One thing you can say about Frank is that he has tried to connect with the community.

He's taken the basketball team to Fort Jackson to work with the kids of soldiers on the base, they are involved with multiple projects in Columbia,

I've never heard Frank or his efforts to reach out criticized by the higher profile members of Columbia's black community before.

SEC teams will be receiving $54.6 million from FB revenue this past season - up $9 M from previous year.....

SEC teams will be receiving $54.6 million from FB revenue this past season - up $9 M from previous year.....
I know. And I think we probably had the money at the time....BUT the BOT and the president still have to approve ANY buyout of a contract that has more than one year remaining, regardless if the money is available or not. Our then president also per newspaper reports also vetoed the Muschamp buyout which is why private donations were required to get it accomplished.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT