ADVERTISEMENT

Fans?

It's called integrity. If the cashier gives you too much change do you just ignore it and keep the extra money?

Criticism is important to keep things grounded. Not being able to be honest leads to cultish behavior.

What if you're wrong?
What if I'm right?
Criticism is fine. It's "fans" lamenting that a controversial call went our way.
It's fan who said our record was 0-8 to them because the wins weren't big enough.
It's fans screaming for a head coach to be fired 5 games into his 1st season.

I admit I don't get on rival boards.
When I say I feel like other fan bases are more supportive than a fragment of USC fans, I'm comparing friends I have who are Fla State, Clemson, LSU, Alabama, and a few other schools to the fans on this Board who want to complain about wins or question calls that go our way.
Dan Mullen won the division last year and got fired this year. Gene Chizik, Les Mile's, and Ed O won national championships and got fired. FSU and Tenn have run off more coaches lately than I can remember. Clemson fans hated Bowden and Hatfield and pushed for their firings while they were winning. We're not a demanding fan base by any comparison.

No one is saying that beating Eastern Illinois is the same as beating Auburn.
I've just personally never heard a fan base critique/criticize their own team's wins the way I've heard some USC fans do it this year.
Never.
I've heard fans of other teams do it to their rivals, but never have I heard Clemson fans or Alabama criticize their own wins.
It's like some USC fans don't want to see improvement or be happy.

CM2B, there have been "Closet" sCUm fans here on FGF since this site originated back in 1998.

They're the one's that negatively b_tch, moan and complain no matter even the slightest of a positive in even the most minor of an occurrence (i.e., the gators had the flu, all-barn got a sh_tty call by SEC Ref's, Eastern Illinois aren't even of Div. 2 quality, E.C.U. = Easy Carolina University, etc., etc., etc.). Such is their call so to speak.

Of course there will be multiple deniers replying to this post, but the fact remains that there are closet clemmons fans that post here on FGF, hiding within their costume ensemble while taking part in such as if it were their very mission as influenced by the Blues Brothers.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockymom2boys
What if you’re wrong? I’m a big enough fella to admit it when I am. I’ve been wrong plenty in my life. I’m with this young lady. Be proud of the garnet and black, support this team and this coaching staff. They might just whoop the sdh outta blabo’s boys !
I hope I'm wrong. Things will be great if I end up being wrong.

Idk.
I don't know what "outfan" means and I don't go on other boards.
Anytime you start the “fans should do X” or “fans shouldn’t do Y” it is an attempt to out fan someone.

This has always been the issue with Carolina football. I know people talk about the electricity of 2001 and how great the fan base is at kickoff but they also talk about how the ramps start filling up after halftime.

There are two huge groups of Carolina fans that have completely different opinions of the program and it will be very rare occurrences when they meet. If you’re just happy to have something to do 6 Saturdays a year and it doesn’t really matter what the score is then you’re never going to relate with someone who wants to see the team be competitive. If you’re a fan that expects a bowl game every year and wants to compete for the SEC title then rolling out in the third quarter to start tailgating or skip traffic will never make sense to you.

It doesn’t make either group any less of fan based on their feelings on how a fan should behave but you will never get those groups on the same page unless the team is winning consistently.

What if I'm right?
Criticism is fine. It's "fans" lamenting that a controversial call went our way.
It's fan who said our record was 0-8 to them because the wins weren't big enough.
It's fans screaming for a head coach to be fired 5 games into his 1st season.
Would you have complained about the call if it went against us?

Anytime you start the “fans should do X” or “fans shouldn’t do Y” it is an attempt to out fan someone.

This has always been the issue with Carolina football. I know people talk about the electricity of 2001 and how great the fan base is at kickoff but they also talk about how the ramps start filling up after halftime.

There are two huge groups of Carolina fans that have completely different opinions of the program and it will be very rare occurrences when they meet. If you’re just happy to have something to do 6 Saturdays a year and it doesn’t really matter what the score is then you’re never going to relate with someone who wants to see the team be competitive. If you’re a fan that expects a bowl game every year and wants to compete for the SEC title then rolling out in the third quarter to start tailgating or skip traffic will never make sense to you.

It doesn’t make either group any less of fan based on their feelings on how a fan should behave but you will never get those groups on the same page unless the team is winning consistently.

Thank you. You worded this better than I would have.

Reactions: Dizzy01
If they’d given the replay angles they gave during the review, yes I would have complained. As was posted in a different thread, with a different review outcome, auburn still had to drive 70 or so yards to score a touchdown to win. Something they’d not done since the first quarter. Whether they could have done it or not matters not. We won, they lost. I’m still ecstatic for the win.

Dan Mullen won the division last year and got fired this year. Gene Chizik, Les Mile's, and Ed O won national championships and got fired. FSU and Tenn have run off more coaches lately than I can remember. Clemson fans hated Bowden and Hatfield and pushed for their firings while they were winning. We're not a demanding fan base by any comparison.

I think college football fan bases are a lot more similar than you give them credit for. I see a lot of the same behavior in other fan bases.
I'm not saying other fan bases don't complain, but do they complain when a controversial call goes for their team?

You must have missed all the posts bashing the starting QB and o-line as well as countless posts bashing Dabo's failure maintain the excellence, use the transfer portal, and putting players named Venables and Swinney on scholarship. I've never been to a rival board lol

First, for you oldtimers on here IANAT!

The tater infiltrators have been here before 1998.

I have visited other team's boards after a bad loss, and not necessarily involving us. And it is the same everywhere.

The biggest difference here, in my opinion, is there was a major change in the maturity of the forum membership when the Insider's forum was created. Most of the oldtimers, the more astute and knowledgeable, moved to Insider's. The tater trolls didn't want to pay for their trolling so they stayed here. I saw what happened and didn't want to join Insider's because of it.

As I mentioned, I've known posters on other boards for many, many years. Before the forum split other boards often mentioned us as among one of the best 'other' boards to visit. Not anymore, and not for years. Now our free board is like anyone else's, full of trolls (tater here) and young fans ignorant of our past glory and failures. Also a few gamecock trolls here that I'm sure feel a little more confident picking on what they construe as lower level riffraff among the FGF brethren.

What CM2B is advocating is literally beneficial to winning over recruits, where opposing coaches throw the negativity into the recruits faces. There's a place for negative expression and doubts when things don't work correctly, however, don't shoot holes in the bottom of the boat and sink yourself.

I'm not saying other fan bases don't complain, but do they complain when a controversial call goes for their team?
I'm sure if you spend enough time online you'll find a couple people complaining about about everything, including sunshine and kittens.

I thought it was the right call, though it probably didn't reach the level of certainty required to overturn a call. That's not complaining. It's just an observation.

Honestly yes lol.
Maybe I'm simple but when I saw the replay that showed the ball against his leg, that was enough for me. I truly believe the ball grazed his leg. I know you don't.
But I want good outcomes for USC.
Obviously the call was controversial, so even if USC is on the receiving end of a controversial call, I'm happy. I wish every call could be 100% no question, but they aren't. A lot of calls are judgement calls.
And Lawd knows USC has been on the short end of enough of the controversial calls. If a few go our way, I'm ok with that.

I have visited other team's boards after a bad loss, and not necessarily involving us. And it is the same everywhere.

The biggest difference here, in my opinion, is there was a major change in the maturity of the forum membership when the Insider's forum was created. Most of the oldtimers, the more astute and knowledgeable, moved to Insider's. The tater trolls didn't want to pay for their trolling so they stayed here. I saw what happened and didn't want to join Insider's because of it.

As I mentioned, I've known posters on other boards for many, many years. Before the forum split other boards often mentioned us as among one of the best 'other' boards to visit. Not anymore, and not for years. Now our free board is like anyone else's, full of trolls (tater here) and young fans ignorant of our past glory and failures. Also a few gamecock trolls here that I'm sure feel a little more confident picking on what they construe as lower level riffraff among the FGF brethren.

What CM2B is advocating is literally beneficial to winning over recruits, where opposing coaches throw the negativity into the recruits faces. There's a place for negative expression and doubts when things don't work correctly, however, don't shoot holes in the bottom of the boat and sink yourself.
"The 600 series had rubber skin. We spotted them easy, but these are new. They look human - sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot."

Honestly yes lol.
Maybe I'm simple but when I saw the replay that showed the ball against his leg, that was enough for me. I truly believe the ball grazed his leg. I know you don't.
Obviously the call was controversial, so even if USC is on the receiving end of a controversial call, I'm happy. I wish every call could be 100% no question, but they aren't. A lot of calls are judgement calls.
And Lawd knows USC has been on the short end of enough of the controversial calls. If a few go our way, I'm ok with that.
Of course he doesn't. All he does is tear down the university and anything associated with it. He WANTS us to lose.

Honestly yes lol.
I think you’re missing the big picture. We all want what’s best for USC. We just disagree on how to get there.

No one is complaining the call went our way. But if I want to complain when calls go against us, I have to be objective and admit when we got a lucky break.

I think you’re missing the big picture. We all want what’s best for USC. We just disagree on how to get there.

No one is complaining the call went our way. But if I want to complain when calls go against us, I have to be objective and admit when we got a lucky break.
No, WE want what's best. You find every way to disparage Beamer and everything else.

I admit I don't get on rival boards.
When I say I feel like other fan bases are more supportive than a fragment of USC fans, I'm comparing friends I have who are Fla State, Clemson, LSU, Alabama, and a few other schools to the fans on this Board who want to complain about wins or question calls that go our way.
Well, those programs all have multiple CCs and NCs. We don’t have anything like that to fall back on. I wasn’t a fan that questioned the call that went in our favor, but I certainly would have if it went against us.

So what if some of our own fans call it as they see it and think we were fortunate? It doesn’t matter. They’re not going to take the victory away from us. There is no guarantee that Auburn would have scored. I say that they probably wouldn’t have scored, based on our momentum and the pressure on Auburn.

What is puzzling to me? I believe we took a knee on downs before we punted. If we get a 1st down, we don’t have to punt. I know Auburn had 2 TOs, but I think we could have been a little more aggressive as far as putting the game away. Considering the fact that Beamer doesn’t want to be seen as a conservative HC, I was surprised we had to punt and gave Auburn an opportunity to get the ball back.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I don’t feel what is written here reflects the fan base as a whole. The overall vibe here to me is much more negative than what I hear in talking with people face to face. I have even had Clemson friends admit to very positive feelings for Coach Beamer.
Well, my Klempsun buddies certainly loved Muschamp. I’m sure they wanted us to keep him forever.

What is puzzling to me? I believe we took a knee on downs before we punted. If we get a 1st down, we don’t have to punt. I know Auburn had 2 TOs, but I think we could have been a little more aggressive as far as putting the game away. Considering the fact that Beamer doesn’t want to be seen as a conservative HC, I was surprised we had to punt and gave Auburn an opportunity to get the ball back.
You believe wrong. No knees were taken. Two running plays that forced auburn to use the last timeouts. First one got 5 yards. Second got a yard. Third down was a short pass which was OK because they were stacking the line but unfortunately it was dropped. Then the punt that ended the game

Reactions: uscedge21
I don’t feel what is written here reflects the fan base as a whole.

What percent of fans even post on message boards?

And I agree, I don't think it's an even spread of the fanbase, but a small opinionated segment (up or down right or left) that bother to log on, much less pay to log on.

Reactions: hillstosea
You believe wrong. No knees were taken. Two running plays that forced auburn to use the last timeouts. First one got 5 yards. Second got a yard. Third down was a short pass which was OK because they were stacking the line but unfortunately it was dropped. Then the punt that ended the game
You are correct. My bad.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
I've just personally never heard a fan base critique/criticize their own team's wins the way I've heard some USC fans do it this year.
Never.
I've heard fans of other teams do it to their rivals, but never have I heard Clemson fans or Alabama criticize their own wins.
Just listen to a weeks worth of Paul Finebaum. Many coaches that lost the previous Saturday catch hell from the fans. Go to some of the other team twitter or message boards, its worse than what you see here most of the time. If any fan base has a right to complain it is us Gamecocks.

As ruffledfeathers stated above, "First, for you oldtimers on here IANAT!

The tater infiltrators have been here before 1998."

First off, WADR to ruffledfeathers, there's honestly no need to post the blatant obvious!! I mean most of us "oldtimers" know damned well YANAT!!!

Now in regards to the portion of ruffled's statement that I c&p'd above, the man is without a doubt 100% Correct!! And not just within that statement, but his entire post!!

Hence in closing, I 2nd his entire concept within his reference to CM2B's post!!!!!

😎😎

• Love
Reactions: ruffledfeathers
Never.
Uhhh…did you see Saban’s rant? It happens everywhere.

Let’s add some context. We have had such bad treatment by referees in the past that these incidents have names. “The push off”. “The Michigan spot”. “The forearm smash” by the referee on Garcia. Of course we are going to talk about a close one that went our way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT