ADVERTISEMENT

Fear not, we didn't miss out on Napier or Chadwell

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
Napier and Chadwell, when you get right down to it, just don't have resumes that scream next level success (yet). Chadwell is in the midst of his first good season at the FBS level (and it's been a very good one for that level of football). Napier is a bit ahead of Chadwell, having his 3rd good season. However, after seeing how Fuente and Frost are flaming out at VaTech and Nebraska, you've got to have serious doubts about how Napier and Chadwell would fare in the SEC. The way some fans are talking about these guys, you'd think they were talking about Saban and Meyer. The only thing either of those guys had on Beamer was head coaching experience, but with a number of mid-major guys flaming out after jumping to P5, you have to have some serious questions about the relevance of success at that level. Say all you want about "football is football" but it just ain't true. I'm not saying neither of these guys will ever be good at the P5 level. Maybe they will be. Besides our fan base, nobody else is really clamoring to get Chadwell (even though plenty of fan bases out there are antsy for new coaches). And, I'd wager, if Chadwell were coaching somewhere else besides Coastal, he wouldn't be on our fans' radar.

So, I'm not fretting or despondent this morning. Again, maybe they'll eventually be good at the P5 level. There just isn't anything about either guy that screams "you gotta take this guy now!"

Napier and Chadwell have very impressive resumes, are proven winners, and will go on to coach at higher levels in the very near future. In the case of our hire, it came down to "fit" and the vision/plan that Beamer has for our program. I'm happy with Beamer but I wouldn't shrug off Napier and Chadwell, I'd say we are very likely to see them across the field at some point.

Biggest question with Beamer is why after 20+ years on numerous staffs has no one tried hard to keep him and/or make him a coordinator . He has always worked for traditional powerhouse programs under proven coaches like smart, Saban, spurrier, Riley . This time he is on his own . Ray tanner stated he was looking for a proven coach with head coaching experience so why did he settle on Beamer ? Just looks like he was peer pressured into hiring who the former players wanted . Looks like he will be the lowest paid coach in the SEC so not the hire most fans expected Tanner to make . Also early on Caslen was vocal and involved but kind of disappeared later in the process? If Tanner would have hired him weeks ago it would look like he was the 1st choice but something does not pass the smell test with this hire.

Again, maybe they'll eventually be good at the P5 level. There just isn't anything about either guy that screams "you gotta take this guy now!"

Your entire post is the most asinine thing i have ever read b/c it presumes that they were the alternative to a far superior choice. The better choice was so far and away obvious that you can claim Napier nor Chadwell were second and third place by a distance, like it wan't even close.

Both have and are having success as Head Coaches, one at his 3rd school.

Napier was a better version of Shane before he went to LA Tech, but b/c he decided to actually go be a HC and win there, he doesn't have the chops for the P5? That is some weird thinking. He was on Dabo's and Saban's staff and left Bama to be the OC for Arizona St. He did well at Arizona St. and was kept during a HC transition until he moved on to the HC position at LAT.

I get Chadwell would be more of a gamble than Napier, but to claim that actually doing the job well, even at a lesser school is less of a qualification than what Shane has done in his career is crazy.

To me people suspend their cognitive thinking skills when they think about football. If you substituted the corporate world into this with similar scenarios, they would absolutely view this decision in a different light.

Napier and Chadwell, when you get right down to it, just don't have resumes that scream next level success (yet). Chadwell is in the midst of his first good season at the FBS level (and it's been a very good one for that level of football). Napier is a bit ahead of Chadwell, having his 3rd good season. However, after seeing how Fuente and Frost are flaming out at VaTech and Nebraska, you've got to have serious doubts about how Napier and Chadwell would fare in the SEC. The way some fans are talking about these guys, you'd think they were talking about Saban and Meyer. The only thing either of those guys had on Beamer was head coaching experience, but with a number of mid-major guys flaming out after jumping to P5, you have to have some serious questions about the relevance of success at that level. Say all you want about "football is football" but it just ain't true. I'm not saying neither of these guys will ever be good at the P5 level. Maybe they will be. Besides our fan base, nobody else is really clamoring to get Chadwell (even though plenty of fan bases out there are antsy for new coaches). And, I'd wager, if Chadwell were coaching somewhere else besides Coastal, he wouldn't be on our fans' radar.

So, I'm not fretting or despondent this morning. Again, maybe they'll eventually be good at the P5 level. There just isn't anything about either guy that screams "you gotta take this guy now!"

You sound quite confident. What do you do for a living?

And if we'd hired Chadwell or Napier, the same sneering comments would be made about the other 2 guys.

taylor-swift-head-shake-sneer.gif

And then you have Matt Campbell coming out of Toledo. Everyone passed him over...except Iowa State.

Frankly, it's a crap shoot.
I mean most times it is a crap shoot, but other times you kinda know what you’re going to get. Muschamp was going to be a failure here, most knew that and yet I was disappointed with his recruiting the most. So many gaps to fill in so many positions and zero depth in others. Good recruiters don’t do that. The one thing we brought him in to do, he didn’t do.

Biggest question with Beamer is why after 20+ years on numerous staffs has no one tried hard to keep him and/or make him a coordinator . He has always worked for traditional powerhouse programs under proven coaches like smart, Saban, spurrier, Riley . This time he is on his own . Ray tanner stated he was looking for a proven coach with head coaching experience so why did he settle on Beamer ? Just looks like he was peer pressured into hiring who the former players wanted . Looks like he will be the lowest paid coach in the SEC so not the hire most fans expected Tanner to make . Also early on Caslen was vocal and involved but kind of disappeared later in the process? If Tanner would have hired him weeks ago it would look like he was the 1st choice but something does not pass the smell test with this hire.
That’s only one tract to being a head coach. You don’t have to be a OC/DC to be a good head coach. 40 years ago, yes it was important. Where we are now and where we are going it will be even less important.

Last edited:
Napier and Chadwell have very impressive resumes, are proven winners, and will go on to coach at higher levels in the very near future. In the case of our hire, it came down to "fit" and the vision/plan that Beamer has for our program. I'm happy with Beamer but I wouldn't shrug off Napier and Chadwell, I'd say we are very likely to see them across the field at some point.
Yes, I would not brush off Napier and Caldwell. They have that "IT" factor, as one Tennessee Vol fan posted about Chadwell Saturday night. We will see them at Williams-Brice in the future, across the field from us. Bank on it, IMHO.

I love the mental gymnastics justifying passing on two successful head coaches, all while defending hiring a candidate with no head coaching experience at all.

Beamer is here now, so I wish him well. Maybe it will work out OK.
And if we'd hired Chadwell or Napier, the same sneering comments would be made about the other 2 guys.
Beamer would already be forgotten.

That’s only one tract to being a head coach. You don’t have to be a OC/DC to be a good head coach. 40 years ago, yes it was important. Where we are now and where we are going it will be even less important.

The point is, it was the tract the guy that was hiring said he was looking for and then with out explanation deviated from. That is the question, why did he all the sudden decide to hire a completely inexperienced person (relative to the criteria he said he was looking for) to do the job?

Last edited:
The point is, it was the tract the guy that was hiring said he was looking for and then with out explanation deviated from. That is the questions, why did he all the sudden decide to hire a completely inexperienced person (relative to the criteria he said he was looking for) to do the job?
Others got involved is my understanding. Different people, different opinions.

We have a coach. Let's get behind the coach we have and stop pining over these other people. God forbid, there might come a day when we can't support him, but until and unless that day comes, why not throw our energies into supporting him now? He has yet to do a single thing not to deserve that support. And before somebody trots out his finishing his duties at Oklahoma, that speaks to professional obligation and personal character. Coaches in his position do that all the time, so add that to the list of things people need to get over.

I wonder sometimes if offensive and defensive coordinators may struggle as HC's because they have trouble separating themselves from the X's and O's on that side of the ball. Managing people and an organization is entirely different than managing technical details. I've seen it in the IT world for 20+ years. Not stating this as fact, just something I wonder about sometimes.

Reactions: rogue cock
Everyone is assuming they were options. There were tons of reports that just like last time coaches were scared of the workload involved here. You don’t want a coach that you have to pay tons of money because they are scared they will fail. At that point they either have no confidence in their ability or they expect to fail so spectacularly it will cost them their planned stepping stone.

This is nothing more than propaganda. Hiring a Dabo wannabe is much riskier than a made guy. Campbell, Meyer, Neal Brown (I could keep going) came from small schools.

There is a chance Beamer could work out, but he is a high risk candidate. Let’s see who these magical coordinators turn out to be, some of you may end up highly disappointed.

Reactions: The Gadfly
I wonder sometimes if offensive and defensive coordinators may struggle as HC's because they have trouble separating themselves from the X's and O's on that side of the ball. Managing people and an organization is entirely different than managing technical details. I've seen it in the IT world for 20+ years. Not stating this as fact, just something I wonder about sometimes.
Good point.

Rather than running down others, let's support our new Head Coach. Napier and Chadwell have not done anything to diminish themselves as Head Coaches. If anything, they have enhanced themselves. Beamer has done absolutely nothing up or down as a Head Coach yet. It's ridiculous and silly to try and convince ourselves we are not missing out on diamonds of coaches when all they have done is win.

Everyone is assuming they were options. There were tons of reports that just like last time coaches were scared of the workload involved here. You don’t want a coach that you have to pay tons of money because they are scared they will fail. At that point they either have no confidence in their ability or they expect to fail so spectacularly it will cost them their planned stepping stone.
This is a huge reach. Both Napier and Chadwell have outworked their peers in recruiting, Xs/Os, culture, etc....all the things that make them so attractive as HC candidates. Napier wanting more money for assistants is reassuring....because it shows he understands the requirement of $ committed to have the top guys here and continue to retain them.
Throwing nickels at 5th Avenue hookers doesn't get you far.
Also...was Beamer on any other school's top 3 consideration list? If not on Tennessee's, Auburn's etc....then that tells you a whole lot. Auburn is trying to navigate Bama and LSU. Tenn. is navigating UF, GA and Bama primarily....so both always have to go after top candidates. Please someone tell me JimmY Sexton doesn't rep both Beamer and Chadwell. If that's the case.....

Or people that are successful know what they are worth. I can promise you Chadwell would have come on the cheap (relative to SEC standards). Napier knows his value and i don't blame him one bit. If the people trying to hire you want you to have one arm tied behind your back, it is best to move on.

Your entire post is the most asinine thing i have ever read b/c it presumes that they were the alternative to a far superior choice. The better choice was so far and away obvious that you can claim Napier nor Chadwell were second and third place by a distance, like it wan't even close.

Both have and are having success as Head Coaches, one at his 3rd school.

Napier was a better version of Shane before he went to LA Tech, but b/c he decided to actually go be a HC and win there, he doesn't have the chops for the P5? That is some weird thinking. He was on Dabo's and Saban's staff and left Bama to be the OC for Arizona St. He did well at Arizona St. and was kept during a HC transition until he moved on to the HC position at LAT.

I get Chadwell would be more of a gamble than Napier, but to claim that actually doing the job well, even at a lesser school is less of a qualification than what Shane has done in his career is crazy.

To me people suspend their cognitive thinking skills when they think about football. If you substituted the corporate world into this with similar scenarios, they would absolutely view this decision in a different light.
Mrs. Napier do you think your husband will stay at lala?

Thanks for the very insightful input taterboy

Chadwell needs to show a little more. One great run during the most bizarre season ever isn’t going to be enough to overcome two substandard seasons as an FBS head coach and no Power 5 experience. He would be about as risky as Beamer. Chadwell’s best bet is to put a few more excellent seasons on the books at Coastal and see what opens.

Napier would have been the safest hire of the remaining candidates— keeping in mind both Satterfield and Neal Brown have blemishes on their records has head coaches at their current schools. He’s turned UL, shown progress each year. Has all the Power 5 experience you want. And is all promise for his next stop.

This is a huge reach. Both Napier and Chadwell have outworked their peers in recruiting, Xs/Os, culture, etc....all the things that make them so attractive as HC candidates. Napier wanting more money for assistants is reassuring....because it shows he understands the requirement of $ committed to have the top guys here and continue to retain them.
Throwing nickels at 5th Avenue hookers doesn't get you far.
Also...was Beamer on any other school's top 3 consideration list? If not on Tennessee's, Auburn's etc....then that tells you a whole lot. Auburn is trying to navigate Bama and LSU. Tenn. is navigating UF, GA and Bama primarily....so both always have to go after top candidates. Please someone tell me JimmY Sexton doesn't rep both Beamer and Chadwell. If that's the case.....
Napier wanted more money for Napier

But yea, that Shane Beamer resume just screams future success. No. It screams a cheap hire. It screams that daddy had a bunch of contacts to get me assistant gigs. It screams everybody thinks I am a nice guy.

Reactions: The Gadfly
But yea, that Shane Beamer resume just screams future success. No. It screams a cheap hire. It screams that daddy had a bunch of contacts to get me assistant gigs. It screams everybody thinks I am a nice guy.
His resume no reads HC UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA 😝

Reactions: budman1976
In his presser Beamer said he's had head coach offers before. He's high energy and extremely well organized but best of all he wants to be here and says this is his dream job. With a sister and her kids in Charlotte I'd love for his parents to move here. Maybe Frank could coach special teams. Beamer ball bring it on!

I'm disappointed, but it's over so either I switch my fanship to another school or I try to be patient and hope for the best.

Sorry, but I'm not down with the 2 week delay.

Caslen disappeared because he got Covid?!? Tanner did not settle on Beamer, he has had him down as a potential candidate since he became AD here...
Shane absolutely was valued by previous coaches! Implying he wasn’t because he got hired away from UGA- the shortest stint he had between leaving here and coming back- by Riley (with a 45% pay increase!!) does bot mean he was not valued at UGA, it just means OU valued him more... In part because they list to UGA in 2017 in a bowl game when Shane’s STs made a big play to turn the game. They in fact value him so much they want him to stay on for another week to help coach their team to try to win the Big 12! If they did not need Shane, he could just stay in Columbia... nothing you said has basis in the reality of what this man has accomplished. He said himself today “I had other head coaching opportunities”... He has been pursued more than once for HC jobs but he wanted this one. His role at OU is integral to their offense.. He is respected by every one who has coached with him and played for him. This is a good hire, ya’ll need to stop making up BS to make it seem like it is not. This was not a money grab for him- he has money! He has been making 6 figure salaries for two decades, his family is rich.. He can take a smaller salary to start so he can pay more for better assistants and build a great staff. He has not always worked for traditional powers- HE WORKED HERE FOR FOUR YEARS! Seriously man... the fact he worked here under SOS means he knows our program, the challenges we face, he has connections already with local HSs, still recruits this area for every staff be has been on since leaving so he has existing relationships with recruits here in this cycle already... All of these things are true about him and this and more combined are the reasons we hired him.

The negative? No Hc experience? That’s it. That is the only one. There are no terrible skeletons in the closet, history of rampant cheating and lying to recruits, no history of making BAD calls as a coach that might make you question his decision making... None of that applies. Just a lack of HC experience though he has been ASSISTANT HC at more than one school between when he left here and now, and was even interim HC for a bowl at Va Tech. RC, STs coordinator.. Loads of relevant experience on all three sides of the ball, but that lack of HC experience is such a hang up for some. I don’t get it and probably never will. I think this is a great fit, and I want him to be tremendously successful here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT