ADVERTISEMENT

Florida advances to CWS in front of at least 300 fans

That was a bad showing. They have had really bad luck with weather though. Weather delays and a cancellation in one series.

It's always been bad. As much as I've been to Gainesville in the last 10 years... you never hear anyone every talking about baseball. It's completely dominated by football and basketball. My best friend's father in law is a huge Florida booster and has box seats for football and 'behind the bench' seats for basketball. I have yet to hear once where they have gone to a baseball game.

Reactions: sadd66
Heard Heath Cline say last week that no one in Gainesville cares about baseball. (He used to cover the Gators, for those that don't know). They are in the bottom 3rd of the conference in revenue from baseball, I believe.

Reactions: sadd66
It's always been bad. As much as I've been to Gainesville in the last 10 years... you never hear anyone every talking about baseball. It's completely dominated by football and basketball. My best friend's father in law is a huge Florida booster and has box seats for football and 'behind the bench' seats for basketball. I have yet to hear once where they have gone to a baseball game.
Yet the people in Baton Rouge have a love affair with baseball. I watched most of the game last night and turned in when Ole Miss State caved in late. From what I saw, fans sat through the rain delay, and read that they stayed through the 1:30am CDT finish, and the dance around the Box until 2:00am.

How much of this goes back to support from the athletic department?

UF is planning a major overhaul to their baseball field. I don't know if that will be help them keep Sully. But I don't think that will bring fans to games.

Look weather delays or whatever if we have a super regional here the stadium will ALWAYS be almost full!

Yet the people in Baton Rouge have a love affair with baseball. I watched most of the game last night and turned in when Ole Miss State caved in late. From what I saw, fans sat through the rain delay, and read that they stayed through the 1:30am CDT finish, and the dance around the Box until 2:00am.

I don't know. I think it depends on the area and the fans that get involved.

South Carolina has always been a huge baseball state. Growing up, baseball was just as big as football at my high school. You either played football or baseball and that was it. I was playing fall ball while some of my football friends were playing football in the winter. There were a few guys on the football team that tried to play baseball but the off season for football was to demanding.

Lots of churchs in West Columbia have baseball/softball fields. I've probably played at 3 dozen different baseball parks in the West Columbia/Cayce/Columbia area.

I would assume the same is for the Baton Rouge area. Gainesville? I can honestly say I don't remember seeing any baseball fields in the area. I remember seeing a soccer/baseball field somewhere toward the Gainesville country club but that's it.

I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm done. But I've been in Gainesville probably 10-12 times now and I have never had one baseball conversation down there.

Yeah but Coonasses are drunk about 95% of the time, so running around dancing at 2AM is a pretty common occurrence around there :D

Reactions: SCexpat38
Statistics show them as 14th nationally in average attendance (3464 per game.) Not great, obviously, but on par with TCU and UVA, and several hundred more than Vanderbilt.

I don't know. I think it depends on the area and the fans that get involved.

South Carolina has always been a huge baseball state. Growing up, baseball was just as big as football at my high school. You either played football or baseball and that was it. I was playing fall ball while some of my football friends were playing football in the winter. There were a few guys on the football team that tried to play baseball but the off season for football was to demanding.

Lots of churchs in West Columbia have baseball/softball fields. I've probably played at 3 dozen different baseball parks in the West Columbia/Cayce/Columbia area.

I would assume the same is for the Baton Rouge area. Gainesville? I can honestly say I don't remember seeing any baseball fields in the area. I remember seeing a soccer/baseball field somewhere toward the Gainesville country club but that's it.

I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm done. But I've been in Gainesville probably 10-12 times now and I have never had one baseball conversation down there.

Yeah, but there is an absolute ton of talent in the state that doesn't want to leave the state that has nothing to do with fields in Gainesville. To me its a testament to Sully as a recruiter to bring these guys in knowing the park may never be full.

Foley hired Sully and maybe Sully doesn't care for new AD even though he is paid very well.

They re-started at 1 and game 2 started at 4. Played 2 innings and had another delay finally finishing around 10 or so last night. Wouldn't expect many people to hang around for that. Although this weekend wasn't a true reflection they still have small crowds....UF averages around 4k a game. Which is 7th in the SEC.

Look weather delays or whatever if we have a super regional here the stadium will ALWAYS be almost full!
I went to the 2012 Super Regional game vs OU where we closed them out about 4pm on a Monday...don't recall it being super full but others that have a memory of the game can weigh in

If they win a NC, you'll see that change. Gator fans are fickle.

O'Sullivan has one of the two or three best jobs in college baseball. I am not sure why anyone thinks he may come to Carolina. He just got a contract extension and makes $ 1.4 million per year, which is about $ 1 million more than Chad was making. There is not a better area in the country to recruit high school baseball players than Florida and recently they have been to Omaha six times. Their stadium is not Founders Park but is much nicer than most minor league stadiums I have seen.
Why would anyone leave that job (after ten years) to take over a rebuild at another school ? Makes no sense to me unless he's bored with success. And the kicker is that he's not a great coach... he is a great recruiter.

Reactions: atl-cock
O'Sullivan has one of the two or three best jobs in college baseball. I am not sure why anyone thinks he may come to Carolina. He just got a contract extension and makes $ 1.4 million per year, which is about $ 1 million more than Chad was making. There is not a better area in the country to recruit high school baseball players than Florida and recently they have been to Omaha six times. Their stadium is not Founders Park but is much nicer than most minor league stadiums I have seen.
Why would anyone leave that job (after ten years) to take over a rebuild at another school ? Makes no sense to me unless he's bored with success. And the kicker is that he's not a great coach... he is a great recruiter.
Alos, the HC at UF has to be a lower-pressure job than at USC. Thus I believe that any high-profile, highly-paid coach may take that into consideration when looking at the USC opening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT