ADVERTISEMENT

Ford F-150 Electric. Boom or bust?

No man I think this is a good thread and a great question. I’m an electric vehicle owner. I drive a Tesla. I would have considered a Ford electric pickup if they existed when I made my purchase.

The truck will be superior to its gas counterpart. That is undeniable.

The real question is will Ford provide a charging infrastructure similar to Tesla where it’s easy to take on longer trips. If not, it’s an around town truck only and that won’t fly. It can’t be super inconvenient to charge and become mainstream.

So my thoughts are: for now bust (not the truck but the ability to charge) but one day maybe boom. The truck itself is a boom now.

Reactions: Judson1
It’s going to sell like crazy to the crowd that wants a pickup but doesn’t really need a pickup. Speculation from testing results is that towing is going to be time prohibitive but for your around town trips to pick up mulch and smaller items it should work fine.

I would be more inclined to buy the hybrid at this point. Hunting trips out west would be tough on that range. Not to mention it’s usually winter and harsh conditions which decreases the range. Electric cars have to come a long way on batteries and charging.

when we see batteries that give “full tank” kind of mileage and a sub 15min recharge I will be more inclined to purchase one.

No man I think this is a good thread and a great question. I’m an electric vehicle owner. I drive a Tesla. I would have considered a Ford electric pickup if they existed when I made my purchase.

The real question is will Ford provide a charging infrastructure similar to Tesla where it’s easy to take on longer trips. If not, it’s an around town truck only and that won’t fly. It can’t be super inconvenient to charge and become mainstream.

So my thoughts are: for now bust (not the truck but the ability to charge) but one day maybe boom. The truck itself is a boom now.
I disagree. Anyone using it to tow an appreciable distance will find it subpar to a gas or diesel truck. Even if there is a Tesla like charging infrastructure. Now can it do some things better? Sure. But having to stop every 100+ miles for a long recharge is not superior when you are towing your boat to the coast to go offshore fishing.

I disagree. Anyone using it to tow an appreciable distance will find it subpar to a gas or diesel truck. Even if there is a Tesla like charging infrastructure. Now can it do some things better? Sure. But having to stop every 100+ miles for a long recharge is not superior when you are towing your boat to the coast to go offshore fishing.

What good is a truck that can't tow

It will tow better than it’s gas counterpart as far as the actual tow itself. The charging would vary. With no weight it would be well over 200 miles. Obviously depending on the weight that will vary (and I’m not going to break down 700 scenarios for the sake of arguing). Most people aren’t driving more than a couple of hundred miles a day more than a handful of days a year. Even fewer are towing something that far very often.

It would be impossible to imagine that Ford not only did exhaustive investigative research, but also had intense planning meetings/conference to discuss phased stages with other indices in particular relation to support/infrastructure.
Initially it may indeed have success with the "casual" truck crowd, and follow up with improvements for the more serious user.
I have no doubt that the braintrust at Ford knew the rollouts with improvements would come in phases over time.

But wouldn't you want to at least know that it COULD tow?

Or is it like people who bought Hummers simply b/c they looked like Hummers externally?
That’s my guess. I think most people get trucks with a lot of plans to do things they never do and I’d say of that 20% that do tow not a lot do any real distance. That truck should still get your pontoon to the lake and back on a single charge which is probably about all most owners care about.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Just read a science article that said batteries for electric vehicles are basically not recyclable. They have to be carefully dismantled and one wrong move and you release toxic fumes. Tesla uses a solid urethane glue that can't be undone that holds the battery pieces together. So, when unusable, are they going to stack them up in a big pile or launch them into space? When adding a mega load to the electric grid, you will be burning more natural gas and some coal. Wind and solar are unreliable as a 24 hour power source and can only be used as basically as a supplement. Have these things really been thought out or is it the feel good crowd pushing into something that will not be workable?

Just read a science article that said batteries for electric vehicles are basically not recyclable. They have to be carefully dismantled and one wrong move and you release toxic fumes. Tesla uses a solid urethane glue that can't be undone that holds the battery pieces together. So, when unusable, are they going to stack them up in a big pile or launch them into space? When adding a mega load to the electric grid, you will be burning more natural gas and some coal. Wind and solar are unreliable as a 24 hour power source and can only be used as basically as a supplement. Have these things really been thought out or is it the feel good crowd pushing into something that will not be workable?

Must be hard spending your life finding something to be bitter about. You can read a science article about anything you choose. Do you have any first hand proof that Tesla is doing anything to harm the environment as much or more than any other car dealer or are you just talking out the other hole?

Everyone isn’t driving a Tesla and everyone hasn’t been driving the same car since the Model T. If you want to drive electric, great. If you don’t, that’s your choice. But I guess you want to pretend your gas guzzler is great for the environment? Do you even see a post where I made a pitch for it being environmentally friendly (although it is better for the carbon footprint).

Tesla’s have been out for a decade now. It’s not like this is year one. If you have some evidence they’re dumping batteries in Lake Michigan let’s hear it.

Must be hard spending your life finding something to be bitter about. You can read a science article about anything you choose. Do you have any first hand proof that Tesla is doing anything to harm the environment as much or more than any other car dealer or are you just talking out the other hole?

Everyone isn’t driving a Tesla and everyone hasn’t been driving the same car since the Model T. If you want to drive electric, great. If you don’t, that’s your choice. But I guess you want to pretend your gas guzzler is great for the environment? Do you even see a post where I made a pitch for it being environmentally friendly (although it is better for the carbon footprint).

Tesla’s have been out for a decade now. It’s not like this is year one. If you have some evidence they’re dumping batteries in Lake Michigan let’s hear it.
Just reporting what I read, take it how you want. More information is better than limited. The dumping problem may not be with us now but if electric is mandated then it will be. Nowadays your personal choice is getting mandated, so is it choice? Our life cycle works on carbon footprints. That's how plants flourish, on CO2.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD

If it weren’t for California energy credits that Tesla sells to many other companies it would not be profitable. Oh, add in its Bitcoin trading profits and you’ll find it doesn’t make any profits. Elon Musk knows how to shake down states and countries for energy credits.

For simple around town use they will be fine. I don't think you will see contractors or folks that tow heavy things use them. My fifth wheel weighs around 15k pounds. At around 200 miles to the beach, i May be pushing the unloaded range. More weight probably equals more battery drain. I won't consider one until the range and towing ability increased. It pretty much eliminates trips to ski in the winter.

For simple around town use they will be fine. I don't think you will see contractors or folks that tow heavy things use them. My fifth wheel weighs around 15k pounds. At around 200 miles to the beach, i May be pushing the unloaded range. More weight probably equals more battery drain. I won't consider one until the range and towing ability increased. It pretty much eliminates trips to ski in the winter.
Sounds as though they have more torque than any other F-150.

Just reporting what I read, take it how you want. More information is better than limited. The dumping problem may not be with us now but if electric is mandated then it will be. Nowadays your personal choice is getting mandated, so is it choice? Our life cycle works on carbon footprints. That's how plants flourish, on CO2.

The information needs to be true to be better. No one is mandating electric vehicles. There are plenty of gas guzzlers to buy and they’re not disappearing in yours or my lifetime.

Reactions: Judson1
If it weren’t for California energy credits that Tesla sells to many other companies it would not be profitable. Oh, add in its Bitcoin trading profits and you’ll find it doesn’t make any profits. Elon Musk knows how to shake down states and countries for energy credits.

The credits were in large part due to the costs of not only creating an electric vehicle but also creating a vast infrastructure throughout this country.

No other company has actually tried to create a legitimate EV until this F 150 and the VW’s.....and the only reason VW got in is because they got caught with their pants down in the emissions scandal

Not interested. I am, however, looking hard at the Powerboost for my next engine when I buy an F150.

Not just Cali. Tesla has been selling carbon credits to other companies for a long time and have made billions on them. Over $1.5 billion in 2020 alone. This carbon credit market was credit by the Feds. Tesla earns carbon credits by producing electric cars and sell them to other car companies that produce gasoline cars, since the government requires a certain levels of emissions for cars produced.

So, gasoline car makers basically funded Tesla to build a competing vehicle. A complete scam.

• Haha
Politics aside- I’m all for electric vehicles. I think that I would be more inclined to get a hybrid until I have a better idea of how available these charging stations for fully electric cars. I’m sure there is probably an app or something that maps them out nationwide so people can plan trips accordingly. The only one I personally know about is the one at the Columbia Whole Foods.

I think that an electric car would be good for me because I don’t really travel. As long as I had a plug in for at it my home I would be ok. But if I decided to take a trip to Myrtle Beach for the weekend- it may be a pita finding a place to charge my car to get back.

What's getting mandated? There are currently no laws that mandate anyone buy an electric car -- or any other type of car that I'm aware of.

The fact that 'Murican-owned Ford decided on its own to make an electric version of America's bestselling vehicle tells me this is a market driven decision.

Last edited:
It looks like the ultimate tailgate vehicle with that big cooler in the frunk and all those outlets. The ability to switch to a generator for your home automatically is pretty freaking snazzy. Bet a lot of Texans would have liked that a few weeks back. I think like a plug in hybrid with 50 - 100 miles range on the battery and then you can switch to gas on longer trips if needed seems logical. I guess carrying the small ICE engine and maintaining isn't ideal but if it's a yota or honda they don't need maintenance anyway.

What's getting mandated? There are currently no laws that mandate anyone buy an electric car -- or any other type of car that I'm aware of.

The fact that 'Murican-owned Ford decided on its own to make an electric version of America's bestselling vehicle tells me this is a market driven decision.
DING DING DING.

Of course it is,
There is one big market some are over looking. Business, Large, Mid Size and Small
if one doesn't think that major business that have fleets of vehicles could reduce fuel expenses by even as little as 10% wont be falling all over themselves to convert are not paying attention.

Didn't read the whole thread but I don't think anyone addressed the repair and service of these electric vehicles. As an auto tech instructor I can tell you we have a serious shortage of auto techs in the US in general. Similar to what you hear about nurses and truck drivers. I seriously doubt there are going to be enough technicians trained to service the growing number of electric vehicles. You're likely going to have a lot of disgruntled owners when they have a problem and there's no one available with the knowledge necessary to diagnose and repair them. And, many people believe that the first year of a newly redesigned vehicle is the most problematic. Imagine the bugs they're going to have with the all new technology of electric cars. And in this case, Ford isn't known for it's reliability anyway.

Tesla is an American company also.

And the greenies won't "mandate". They are much sneakier than that. They will just regulate gasoline engines out of existence. They will manipulate the market with regulations to make ICE cars so expensive to own that you can't afford it. Eventually, you won't have a choice (unless you are rich), and they will use your own tax money to get there.

Tesla is an American company also.

And the greenies won't "mandate". They are much sneakier than that. They will just regulate gasoline engines out of existence. They will manipulate the market with regulations to make ICE cars so expensive to own that you can't afford it. Eventually, you won't have a choice (unless you are rich), and they will use your own tax money to get there.
Ooohhh, sounds mysterious and spooky!

They don't care about all that. They just want the dullards who aren't thinking about it either to buy, buy, buy

Didn't read the whole thread but I don't think anyone addressed the repair and service of these electric vehicles. As an auto tech instructor I can tell you we have a serious shortage of auto techs in the US in general. Similar to what you hear about nurses and truck drivers. I seriously doubt there are going to be enough technicians trained to service the growing number of electric vehicles. You're likely going to have a lot of disgruntled owners when they have a problem and there's no one available with the knowledge necessary to diagnose and repair them. And, many people believe that the first year of a newly redesigned vehicle is the most problematic. Imagine the bugs they're going to have with the all new technology of electric cars. And in this case, Ford isn't known for it's reliability anyway.
This is an article from Consumer Reports that address your comment. One aspect they highlighted will be the fact there will be much less maintenance required. TIFWIW.

CR research shows that EVs cost less to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/pay-less-for-vehicle-maintenance-with-an-ev/

This is an article from Consumer Reports that address your comment. One aspect they highlighted will be the fact there will be much less maintenance required. TIFWIW.

CR research shows that EVs cost less to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/pay-less-for-vehicle-maintenance-with-an-ev/
We’ve talked to a couple Tesla owners and only one has had an issue that required the vehicle to be brought into a repair shop. Since so much is electronic controlled they just connected to WiFi and techs were able to reset and make adjustments while the car was in their garage. It’s kind of fascinating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT