ADVERTISEMENT

Ford F-150 Electric. Boom or bust?

This is an article from Consumer Reports that address your comment. One aspect they highlighted will be the fact there will be much less maintenance required. TIFWIW.

CR research shows that EVs cost less to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/pay-less-for-vehicle-maintenance-with-an-ev/
Not to mention that it sounds like a supply and demand issue. If there's enough of a demand for new and more training and mechanics, there will eventually be more when the pay is satisfactory.

Bugs in new technology are definitely an inconvenience. But they tend to get worked out over time.

Ooohhh, sounds mysterious and spooky!

Actually, it already a 2035 mandate for Cali. All new vehicles sold must be zero emissions, which limits to electric and hydrogen. Or basically electric.

Only a matter of time before the libs take that mandate to the national level. They will tighten regulations of gasoline cars to make the economically infeasible, much like they did with coal.

Not spooky or mysterious to anybody that has been paying attention.

Actually, it already a 2035 mandate for Cali. All new vehicles sold must be zero emissions, which limits to electric and hydrogen. Or basically electric.

Only a matter of time before the libs take that mandate to the national level. They will tighten regulations of gasoline cars to make the economically infeasible, much like they did with coal.

Creepy and kooky, too!

• Haha
Reactions: uscalumni

UK had already announced plans to ban sales of new petrol vehicles by 2030 and many car manufacturers had already indicated they planned on phasing out combustion as early as 2025.

BMW already has a zero emission combustion engine using hydrogen they are banking on being their future and a Spanish company has developed a combustion engine that uses traditional gas and still has zero emissions.

Reactions: rogue cock

A 2035 mandate is like not mandating anything. You could mandate everyone in the state be tattooed blue by 2035 and no one would care because we all know it won't happen. Too much time for intervening events.

The break through in battery life is coming. When we're up to 500 miles per charge we'll all be switching over. Ten years from now this might not be a topic for discussion.

There will be a few. They’re the same people that still hold on to their VCRs and cassette players.

A 2035 mandate is like not mandating anything. You could mandate everyone in the state be tattooed blue by 2035 and no one would care because we all know it won't happen. Too much time for intervening events.

But it has an impact, even now. Cali is a large market, and their political decisions often dictate how companies develop technology for everyone.

That's why many of these same "we've going all electric" car makers were part of a lawsuit against Cali emissions standards less than a year ago. Thousands of dollars added to each car to meet the new standards. Not so spooky or mysterious if you are paying attention.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/automakers-side-with-trump-in-legal-fight-with-california

They only flipped because of the election and the hope of a pile of money being handed out by the government.

There will be a few. They’re the same people that still hold on to their VCRs and cassette players.
There are whole associations of guys with Model T's and other ancient cars. It is silly to think everyone will want to give up cool Shelby Cobras and 63 Corvettes for some new electric car. It is also very urban centric thinking. There are a lot of rural people who work way in the backwoods with no electricity. You can haul gas, but can't take a bucket of kilowatts into the boondocks.

I got news for you. I still watch 30 year old Carolina football games on VHS connected to one of those big old televisions. 😄 I converted them years ago, but there is just something enjoyable about watching the '88 UGA game on TBS via the VHS tape I used over 32 years ago.

Not to mention that it sounds like a supply and demand issue. If there's enough of a demand for new and more training and mechanics, there will eventually be more when the pay is satisfactory.

Bugs in new technology are definitely an inconvenience. But they tend to get worked out over time.
I wouldn't count on it. This has been an ongoing problem for years. People don't want to pay more to have their vehicles repaired and shops can't pay techs more unless they charge more. There are so many better ways to make what auto techs make without having to invest thousands in tools.

This is an article from Consumer Reports that address your comment. One aspect they highlighted will be the fact there will be much less maintenance required. TIFWIW.

CR research shows that EVs cost less to maintain than gasoline-powered vehicles

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/pay-less-for-vehicle-maintenance-with-an-ev/
I didn't have time to read the full article but, I can see where maintenance would be less on an EV. But when something actually goes wrong with one, there has to be someone with the knowledge to diagnose the problem. I'm not talking about brakes or belts etc. I'm talking about serious, possibly electronic problems. As it is now, shops are struggling to find techs with the knowledge needed to diagnose technology that's been around for years.

The range is adequate now. The problem is charging time. Get back to me when you can charge as fast as I can fill up my tank. Until then, it's nothing but a novelty to me.
It’s not just that but the expense to replace the battery is massive. Gas and Diesel engines can typically go hundreds of thousands of miles with maintenance. You can maintain a battery all you want but you’re going to get what you’re going to get out of it. Look at the resale values of used electric cars, they’re cheap for a reason. No one wants to be the one stuck with replacing the battery.

Reactions: importcock
Tesla is an American company also.

And the greenies won't "mandate". They are much sneakier than that. They will just regulate gasoline engines out of existence. They will manipulate the market with regulations to make ICE cars so expensive to own that you can't afford it. Eventually, you won't have a choice (unless you are rich), and they will use your own tax money to get there.

I think most reasonable people can acknowledge that ice engines will be regulated out the door to make room for electric. I actually find it odd that people would argue it won't happen.

I guess you're getting the silly responses and gifts because theres no legitimate rebuttal.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
It’s not just that but the expense to replace the battery is massive. Gas and Diesel engines can typically go hundreds of thousands of miles with maintenance. You can maintain a battery all you want but you’re going to get what you’re going to get out of it. Look at the resale values of used electric cars, they’re cheap for a reason. No one wants to be the one stuck with replacing the battery.
How long is the life of the current batteries?

Other than rare trips, I drive around town, and I'd buy an electric f150 with 300 or more miles range.

Other than rare trips, I drive around town, and I'd buy an electric f150 with 300 or more miles range.
Tesla guarantees their batteries for 100k miles but they also acknowledge that there will be reduced performance as they age.

I don’t know that Ford has announced their warranty yet.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

I've read up to 10-20 years. This is a pretty good article which includes battery life, cost of replacement, and resourcing old batteries, etc...

I've read up to 10-20 years. This is a pretty good article which includes battery life, cost of replacement, and resourcing old batteries, etc...

I was curious about the replacement costs and the only documented case of someone paying for the battery replacement out of pocket I could find was about 17k. Almost every other one at this point was covered under warranty so I’m curious what we will see when more of these cars start hitting this point.

That’s because all electric motors are more efficient than their gas counterparts. The smallest engine Tesla makes has almost as much power and torque as the highest 1/2 ton which is the Nissan Titan.
Not doubting what you say about the Tesla's torque but the Titan doesn't have the most torque among 1/2 ton trucks. The F150 Ecoboost has 500 lb/ft and the Ram with the 6.2 Supercharged has 650. Unless you weren't including optional engines.

I was curious about the replacement costs and the only documented case of someone paying for the battery replacement out of pocket I could find was about 17k. Almost every other one at this point was covered under warranty so I’m curious what we will see when more of these cars start hitting this point.
Not sure. That was one of the most comprehensive articles I could find that covered all the questions most could have. But if replacement costs and life get to the level they are discussing, it will make getting an EV a "no-brainer."

My truck is not that old. I could almost see the electric f150 now with those battery lives and ranges.

But I dont have to look for quite a few years.

Which means I should be seeing longer ranges and better battery options by the time I hit the 6th or 7th generation.

(I never like to buy the first model year anyway)

My truck is not that old. I could almost see the electric f150 now with those battery lives and ranges.

But I dont have to look for quite a few years.

Which means I should be seeing longer ranges and better battery options by the time I hit the 6th or 7th generation.

(I never like to buy the first model year anyway)
This is why they will be popular with fleet vehicles. Most fleet vehicles are not kept as long as these will last and will give plenty of time to completely depreciated them. Also don't have the annual fuel cost nor the maintenance and repair costs associated with ICE vehicles.

Not sure. That was one of the most comprehensive articles I could find that covered all the questions most could have. But if replacement costs and life get to the level they are discussing, it will make getting an EV a "no-brainer."
We really considered a Tesla during our last go round with getting a car. In the end our love for the fun of our Jeep drove us to another one. We will probably end up in the market again in another 3 years and I’m sure we’ll end up getting an EV as a third vehicle or look into the new Jeep combo they have now that is a plug in hybrid.

mo
Just read a science article that said batteries for electric vehicles are basically not recyclable. They have to be carefully dismantled and one wrong move and you release toxic fumes. Tesla uses a solid urethane glue that can't be undone that holds the battery pieces together. So, when unusable, are they going to stack them up in a big pile or launch them into space? When adding a mega load to the electric grid, you will be burning more natural gas and some coal. Wind and solar are unreliable as a 24 hour power source and can only be used as basically as a supplement. Have these things really been thought out or is it the feel good crowd pushing into something that will not be workable?
Politics aside- I’m all for electric vehicles. I think that I would be more inclined to get a hybrid until I have a better idea of how available these charging stations for fully electric cars. I’m sure there is probably an app or something that maps them out nationwide so people can plan trips accordingly. The only one I personally know about is the one at the Columbia Whole Foods.

I think that an electric car would be good for me because I don’t really travel. As long as I had a plug in for at it my home I would be ok. But if I decided to take a trip to Myrtle Beach for the weekend- it may be a pita finding a place to charge my car to get back.
they’re literally almost everywhere. florence, columbia, charleston, aiken, greenville, asheville, etc. that’s pretty good for the ole south carolina. now i wouldn’t be driving one out west.

electric guns too!

I have a 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat with a 36 gallon tank. It goes 700 miles on a full tank of gas. It's going to be a long time before an electric vehicle can do that.
Most truck USERS by an old beater and USE it as a truck. These people will never buy a new truck much less an electric truck.

I didn't have time to read the full article but, I can see where maintenance would be less on an EV. But when something actually goes wrong with one, there has to be someone with the knowledge to diagnose the problem. I'm not talking about brakes or belts etc. I'm talking about serious, possibly electronic problems. As it is now, shops are struggling to find techs with the knowledge needed to diagnose technology that's been around for years.
Electric cars will go the way of the laptop. It Breaks you toss it.

I wouldn't count on it. This has been an ongoing problem for years. People don't want to pay more to have their vehicles repaired and shops can't pay techs more unless they charge more. There are so many better ways to make what auto techs make without having to invest thousands in tools.
Well, I guess we'll see.

Most truck USERS by an old beater and USE it as a truck. These people will never buy a new truck much less an electric truck.
Yep. I actually did both. I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado. It runs like a top and looks like crap. I bouhgt a new F-150 Lariat when I retired 3 years ago. My F-150 is my every day vehicle. My old Chevy I use to pull my trailer and haul trash to the dump.

There are whole associations of guys with Model T's and other ancient cars. It is silly to think everyone will want to give up cool Shelby Cobras and 63 Corvettes for some new electric car. It is also very urban centric thinking. There are a lot of rural people who work way in the backwoods with no electricity. You can haul gas, but can't take a bucket of kilowatts into the boondocks.

aid everyone would. In fact I stated in post 22 the gas guzzlers are going no where. It will never be mandated because quite simply everyone cannot afford to be in an electric vehicle.

The Cobras and Corvettes look cool in my rear view. The torque in an electric vehicle is simply untouchable by any gas vehicle.

I don’t know why the anti electric vehicle crowd has to feel like it’s an attack on every gas vehicle to have an electric option. No one is forcing/mandating you buy electric.

The range is adequate now. The problem is charging time. Get back to me when you can charge as fast as I can fill up my tank. Until then, it's nothing but a novelty to me.

If you could travel 500 miles in a day on a single charge most folks would be ready for a nights rest allowing ample time for a re-charge.

I
What's getting mandated? There are currently no laws that mandate anyone buy an electric car -- or any other type of car that I'm aware of.

The fact that 'Murican-owned Ford decided on its own to make an electric version of America's bestselling vehicle tells me this is a market driven decision.

It’s also ironic that many of the “Patriots” don’t have a problem taking a shot at American made and produced Tesla, but will clutch pearls for their gas guzzlers that are mostly made overseas.

If you could travel 500 miles in a day on a single charge most folks would be ready for a nights rest allowing ample time for a re-charge.

I can get about 250 on a charge but honestly most people are going to want to get out and take a break anyway after a couple of hundred miles. By the time I use the restroom and pick up a snack, I have enough charge to go almost another 200 without stopping. But this is on a Tesla supercharger. Other chargers do not operate as quickly.

Not very flexible. Some folks go out drinking late at night. Some pickup or dropoff folks for the redeye airlines. Some folks work the late shift and share a car with spouse who works days. I wouldn't want to be locked into having to always rest at night. It may work for some people but not others. I expect a lot of families may try to keep a foot in both camps. One electric for cheaper mileage and the other gas when electric doesn't work.

I can get about 250 on a charge but honestly most people are going to want to get out and take a break anyway after a couple of hundred miles. By the time I use the restroom and pick up a snack, I have enough charge to go almost another 200 without stopping. But this is on a Tesla supercharger. Other chargers do not operate as quickly.
I agree with you & the Tesla Model S is about the sharpest looking sedan on the road. I did get an opportunity to drive a midsize EV (not a Tesla) & the reality was totally different than what I had imagined. You mash the pedal & the thing takes off. An EV F150 won't have any issues other than compromised range towing a reasonably heavy load. EV's have plenty of torque as you correctly pointed out..

Last edited:
It will tow better than it’s gas counterpart as far as the actual tow itself. The charging would vary. With no weight it would be well over 200 miles. Obviously depending on the weight that will vary (and I’m not going to break down 700 scenarios for the sake of arguing). Most people aren’t driving more than a couple of hundred miles a day more than a handful of days a year. Even fewer are towing something that far very often.
Someone broke down towing a 7,500 lb camper, range estimated at 80 -120 miles and even less if towing in any elevation. Sorry that's just not practical if you want to tow an RV.

That sounds nice, but that wouldn't cover all my trips. And a listed 500 miles often is less if it's too hot and you need AC. Or it's too cold and the batteries aren't as efficient. Also, a lot of ranges are calculated off 65 or 70 mph highway speeds. If you drive above that, you lose range. Plus, you have to pay to install a level 2 charging system in your home. Otherwise, you are just getting 4 or 5 miles per hour of charging off regular 120v.

I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just more planning and aggravation than just stopping whenever you need and getting a 5 minute fill up. Not ideal for many. Not impossible to fix, but it won't happen anytime soon.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT