ADVERTISEMENT

Ford F-150 Electric. Boom or bust?

Without googling it,does anyone know why you can’t have a alternator like we already have on cars to recharge the battery? I know there is no moving parts like belts and such but there has to be a way if they wanted to I guess,maybe I’m over simplifying it?
In short a perpetual motion machine is theoretically impossible.

Reactions: uscalumni
In my simple way of thinking,I would think you could have something around the drive shaft (if it’s a rear wheel)creating the electricity to recharge the battery,the drive shaft is going to turn regardless.It’s just an idea and I’m no electrician.If it was be possible,I guess they would’ve thought of it,maybe.Heck put an alt/pulley setup on the driveshaft .lol.

s4XzfH5sxFFGBCOz8IRSw2tFN9ULT7ipCwDNW5frGmE.jpg

I must say, it's pretty humorous that, in the rush to eliminate the need for fossil fuels, manufacturers are ramping up vehicles that run off electricity, greater than 80% of which is generated by fossil fuels.
Good point. But we have to start somewhere. And so do the utility providers.

Hello cost of electricity. The more dependent on the grid, the more expensive utilities you have. There is a thing called action and then reaction.

No man I think this is a good thread and a great question. I’m an electric vehicle owner. I drive a Tesla. I would have considered a Ford electric pickup if they existed when I made my purchase.

The truck will be superior to its gas counterpart. That is undeniable.

The real question is will Ford provide a charging infrastructure similar to Tesla where it’s easy to take on longer trips. If not, it’s an around town truck only and that won’t fly. It can’t be super inconvenient to charge and become mainstream.

So my thoughts are: for now bust (not the truck but the ability to charge) but one day maybe boom. The truck itself is a boom now.
I want to see a nationwide charging network that is compatible with all brands as opposed to separate, proprietary charging stations.

I want to see a nationwide charging network that is compatible with all brands as opposed to separate, proprietary charging stations.

I think this will be happening in the near future. The same way the charging ports for my Apple and Dell computers are the same now. It will be good for all manufacturers to get on board with this.

I definitely agree with this. It could happen. Only issue is the companies would have to work together and competitors don’t always play nice together.

I am on the fence due to the fact it is a new product for Ford. I purchased a 2017 Ford Explorer and I can't count the number of recalls I have had with that model. Another one just popped up on my app the other day. And how long have they been making Explorers? I will be sticking to Honda and Toyota SUV's moving forward (yes, I hate this Ford but it is paid for) and wait until they put their own version of an electric truck on the market. Bust vote for me.

Wait until you see what all this does to electricity bills. So instead of "pain at the pump", it will be "pain at the plug", but it will affect your entire electricity bill, not just the part you use to charge your car as with pain at the pump.

Reactions: cocks rule
Hello cost of electricity. The more dependent on the grid, the more expensive utilities you have. There is a thing called action and then reaction.
The existing grid in CA (where I am) can't support keeping all the lights on throughout the summer, so it's a given the power plant infructure needs more power plants. How else could they support a charging infrastructure that covers all highways and interstates in the state by 2035.

Wait until you see what all this does to electricity bills. So instead of "pain at the pump", it will be "pain at the plug", but it will affect your entire electricity bill, not just the part you use to charge your car as with pain at the pump.
Well I’ll keep saving for now while everyone else is running to fill up their gas tanks worried about the storm causing a gas shortage.

I figure IF you are ever correct about that in my lifetime I will have come our way ahead before that happens.

Well I’ll keep saving for now while everyone else is running to fill up their gas tanks worried about the storm causing a gas shortage.

I figure IF you are ever correct about that in my lifetime I will have come our way ahead before that happens.

Not really. If saving money is the goal, you are already way behind and will likely never catch up. Just buy a Corolla and drive it for 15 years just for the base price of a model 3.

And it's not IF, it's WHEN. Electricity prices aren't going down. The biggest enemy to gasoline prices is Democrats. Kick them out and get the right guy in, and we could easily have $1.50 a gallon gas for a long time.

Not really. If saving money is the goal, you are already way behind and will likely never catch up. Just buy a Corolla and drive it for 15 years just for the base price of a model 3.
Do you not see the irony in telling a model 3 owner what his cost is despite you not being one?

That's one of the things that annoys the most about EV owners. They think they are the only ones that can speak about a car. It's a car. It's not a mythical beast. The numbers aren't very difficult to figure out.

That, and the "my power bill probably only went up $5 a month" line I've heard every time someone asks how much extra they pay in electricity. Total BS unless you don't drive much.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
That's one of the things that annoys the most about EV owners. They think they are the only ones that can speak about a car. It's a car. It's not a mythical beast. The numbers aren't very difficult to figure out.

That, and the "my power bill probably only went up $5 a month" line I've heard every time someone asks how much extra they pay in electricity. Total BS unless you don't drive much.
Sure it’s BS. You pay my power bill too. Let me guess you get your gas for .99 a gallon too.

I drove to Atlanta. I spent $5 to get there and back to good ole SC. How much does it cost you? Over time the car pays for itself. It literally puts money in my pocket every mile that I drive.

You don’t have to believe it. I don’t care. I just think it’s hilarious you’ll tell me about my cost. It’s arrogant at best and stupid at it’s worst.

Sure it’s BS. You pay my power bill too. Let me guess you get your gas for .99 a gallon too.

I drove to Atlanta. I spent $5 to get there and back to good ole SC. How much does it cost you? Over time the car pays for itself. It literally puts money in my pocket every mile that I drive.

You don’t have to believe it. I don’t care. I just think it’s hilarious you’ll tell me about my cost. It’s arrogant at best and stupid at it’s worst.

I believe math.

Not sure where you are driving from since you didn't say, but from Columbia to Atlanta and back in the best case for a Model 3 would be about $12 on Dominion Energy rates of about 12 cents a kw/h. 430 miles round trip at 24 kWh for 100 miles.

$5 a month with get you about 2100 miles of driving a year in a Model 3. Most people drive a good bit more than that, and if you don't, an EV makes no sense at all. A Corolla will only cost you $100 more a year in gas for that little amount of driving, and it would take you 200 years to break even with the Model 3 if you got electricity for free.

So, keep pretending that paying twice as much for a car to save on gas is somehow making you money, but it's nothing more than playing Jedi mind tricks on yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
ATLIS MOTOR VEHICLES, impressive new electric manufacturer. Check it out!

Atlis XT Pickup: 500 mile battery, charges 100% in 15 minutes, w/ massive towing capacity. Very cool!

Just wait until the government figures out that no one is buying gas, so no gas tax revenue, but roads still need to be repaired, so they will start to charge by the mile (welcome back car inspections to verify mileage) or added somehow as a surcharge on higher electric bills. SC is already charging $25/yr for hybrids when you pay your car property taxes. The government will get their's one way or another....

Just wait until the government figures out that no one is buying gas, so no gas tax revenue, but roads still need to be repaired, so they will start to charge by the mile (welcome back car inspections to verify mileage) or added somehow as a surcharge on higher electric bills. SC is already charging $25/yr for hybrids when you pay your car property taxes. The government will get their's one way or another....
This is example of a needed tax. If you’re using the roads you should contribute to maintaining the roads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT