ADVERTISEMENT

Ford F-150 Electric. Boom or bust?

Haven’t heard of this. Are they cheap?
Not cheap, but with tax credits in most states you can cut the cost by 50-75%...sometimes making it less than a new roof with a 5-10 year warranty. They meet all hurricane requirements, don't degrade over time, have a 25 year warranty, and are expected to last 25-30 years. I believe most, if not all, use the Tesla home storage panel-type batteries.

Reactions: uscalumni
Not cheap, but with tax credits in most states you can cut the cost by 50-75%...sometimes making it less than a new roof with a 5-10 year warranty. They meet all hurricane requirements, don't degrade over time, have a 25 year warranty, and are expected to last 25-30 years. I believe most, if not all, use the Tesla home storage panel-type batteries.
If they have a full 25 year warranty and don’t go belly up that could be something to look at! I like the sound of that. Do you think it’ll power your entire home. Get off the grid?

If they have a full 25 year warranty and don’t go belly up that could be something to look at! I like the sound of that. Do you think it’ll power your entire home. Get off the grid?
Good question...have no clue. From what I've read it takes about 25-30 panels to get the average sized home off the grid. I would guess it depends on the size of your home and your location, as well as your storage capacity.

I recently bought a lot on the river that has a dock permit and plan to build a one-story lowcountry style home on it within the next few years. I am looking to use the solar shingles instead of the traditional metal roof, but need to do more research.

Just read a science article that said batteries for electric vehicles are basically not recyclable. They have to be carefully dismantled and one wrong move and you release toxic fumes. Tesla uses a solid urethane glue that can't be undone that holds the battery pieces together. So, when unusable, are they going to stack them up in a big pile or launch them into space? When adding a mega load to the electric grid, you will be burning more natural gas and some coal. Wind and solar are unreliable as a 24 hour power source and can only be used as basically as a supplement. Have these things really been thought out or is it the feel good crowd pushing into something that will not be workable?
Good questions to ask. FWIW, I think these things have been well thought out and are not particularly political in anything other than the relatively short term(2-3 years). Some of the technology released over the next few years, VACTN for one, will result in batteries that routinely deliver 600+ miles to the charge, recharge 80% in 5 minutes, and triple the lifespan. Cobalt free batteries will be available by 2025/26, which is very important geopolitically. IBM, interestingly enough, is developing battery chemistry that doesn’t include nickel or cobalt, and could potentially perform better than lithium-ion, which speaks the waste toxicity issues(you are right, nasty stuff).

Right now, only 3% of new cars sales are electric, and it is expected to only be 10% by 2030. Improvements in grid management and energy capture and storage are the critical pathways for very broad adoption. There will be really cool vehicles that do just about everything cleaner, safer, and better than internal combustion. TA is already building charging infrastructure at all of its truck stops for both passenger and commercial trucking.

I love the rumble of my 77’ Bronco. There’s nothing like it. Still, I suspect my everyday driver will be electric by 2030.

And the warranty? 30k is a lot of money for an experimental vehicle. Also the warranty is only good if the company is still in business.
I have no idea. I haven’t really looked into it a lot because it wouldn’t work for our family but the article I saw on them talked about camping features and Google as a backer but that’s about as far as I got with it.

Good questions to ask. FWIW, I think these things have been well thought out and are not particularly political in anything other than the relatively short term(2-3 years). Some of the technology released over the next few years, VACTN for one, will result in batteries that routinely deliver 600+ miles to the charge, recharge 80% in 5 minutes, and triple the lifespan. Cobalt free batteries will be available by 2025/26, which is very important geopolitically. IBM, interestingly enough, is developing battery chemistry that doesn’t include nickel or cobalt, and could potentially perform better than lithium-ion, which speaks the waste toxicity issues(you are right, nasty stuff).

Right now, only 3% of new cars sales are electric, and it is expected to only be 10% by 2030. Improvements in grid management and energy capture and storage are the critical pathways for very broad adoption. There will be really cool vehicles that do just about everything cleaner, safer, and better than internal combustion. TA is already building charging infrastructure at all of its truck stops for both passenger and commercial trucking.

I love the rumble of my 77’ Bronco. There’s nothing like it. Still, I suspect my everyday driver will be electric by 2030.
To me the key is going to be improving the charging infrastructure. I know Tesla has an app to direct you to charging stations but until we hit a point where frequent interstate exits have charging stations I don’t think a lot of people will go for it.

To me the key is going to be improving the charging infrastructure. I know Tesla has an app to direct you to charging stations but until we hit a point where frequent interstate exits have charging stations I don’t think a lot of people will go for it.
Don't forget the increased electric load on all grids. That will be a really big issue.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I’ve had two Prius cars. There is no instrumentation for an owner to know when the batteries lose efficiency and need a new battery. With a hybrid, as the battery goes down the internal combustion engine is used more and you get worse mileage. No long-time warranty on the batteries.

I’d try to hold out till 2035. The nuclear vehicles should be out by then with around a 100k mile range before you even need a reactor tune up. No charging, no gas just drive. The great thing with nuclear cars is you can spot a wreck a mile away. Tiny mushroom clouds!!

Good question...have no clue. From what I've read it takes about 25-30 panels to get the average sized home off the grid. I would guess it depends on the size of your home and your location, as well as your storage capacity.

I recently bought a lot on the river that has a dock permit and plan to build a one-story lowcountry style home on it within the next few years. I am looking to use the solar shingles instead of the traditional metal roof, but need to do more research.
Cool! Keep us posted on what you learn.

They are really cool. From the road, you can’t tell them from any other roof.

Reactions: rogue cock

Are you considering anyone other than Tesla on the shingles? I’ve seen that numerous other companies are now selling the solar shingles and Tesla has been jacking up prices recently.

Are you considering anyone other than Tesla on the shingles? I’ve seen that numerous other companies are now selling the solar shingles and Tesla has been jacking up prices recently.
Yes. I've haven't really looked hard yet, just read a bit about it. In a little over a year, I will be looking a lot harder.

Politics aside- I’m all for electric vehicles. I think that I would be more inclined to get a hybrid until I have a better idea of how available these charging stations for fully electric cars. I’m sure there is probably an app or something that maps them out nationwide so people can plan trips accordingly. The only one I personally know about is the one at the Columbia Whole Foods.

I think that an electric car would be good for me because I don’t really travel. As long as I had a plug in for at it my home I would be ok. But if I decided to take a trip to Myrtle Beach for the weekend- it may be a pita finding a place to charge my car to get back.
Coastal Grande Mall parking lot. Come on down

My wife makes fun of me because I gorge on EV/Battery Storage/Battery Tech videos and she calls it my professional development. I am a degreed engineer from USC that changed careers to nursing. It looks like there are some Gamecock Central fans that nerd out with this information and keep up with it as much as I do.

USCALUMNI

I had no idea they had gotten that high but I guess there’s a sucker born every day. Lol
I’ve bought many homes for less than that. I’ve never spent over 10k on any vehicle and the 10k one was extremely nice. I felt guilty spending that much. I Didn’t really need anything that nice but really wanted it.
Good luck finding something with less than 150k in a 1/2ton for 10k right now. My dad just traded in his 2016 with 90k and the dealership gave him 24k for his trade in.

Reactions: myrtlecock
Good luck finding something with less than 150k in a 1/2ton for 10k right now. My dad just traded in his 2016 with 90k and the dealership gave him 24k for his trade in.
I’m all set for the next 15 years unless I just run up on a deal I can’t pass up. Dealerships? Nothing good can come from a dealership. That is NOT where deals are found. Lol

I’m all set for the next 15 years unless I just run up on a deal I can’t pass up. Dealerships? Nothing good can come from a dealership. That is NOT where deals are found. Lol
My point was how much that used truck cost not the dealership part. We can agree to disagree. I prefer not to drive around in an old piece of crap. Usually when mine is payed off I get a new one. I spend an ass of time in the seat of my truck and enjoy my amenities. To each his own I guess. Can’t take that money with you when you die.

Could be. But Musk is doing other thing beside ev. Solar tech and home power storage. Plus I think he will leverage his charging station to charge other brands.

USCALUMNI
This is what I’m curious about, and haven’t found a good answer yet.

Charging stations need to have a universal hook up that’ll charge all vehicles.

If the Tesla charging station connection is different from Ford, which might be different from Ram, which might be different from Chevy/GMC, then there’s going to be issues.

I’ve heard(but haven’t confirmed yet) that Tesla already has charging stations that are only usable by higher end models only, not the “base model”.

Can someone confirm/deny that? If so, charging vehicles in the future could potentially be a clusterf**k if you’re on a trip and can’t find a compatible charging station.

If the Tesla charging station connection is different from Ford, which might be different from Ram, which might be different from Chevy/GMC, then there’s going to be issues.

I’ve heard(but haven’t confirmed yet) that Tesla already has charging stations that are only usable by higher end models only, not the “base model”.

Can someone confirm/deny that? If so, charging vehicles in the future could potentially be a clusterf**k if you’re on a trip and can’t find a compatible charging station.
As of right now there are 3 types of charging options for the EVs and the companies are making adapters to ensure the EVs can charge at most locations.

Tesla does have a proprietary super charge system which does allow their vehicles to charge quicker at their super charge stations but those same vehicles can still charge using the more “standard” charging options.

My point was how much that used truck cost not the dealership part. We can agree to disagree. I prefer not to drive around in an old piece of crap. Usually when mine is payed off I get a new one. I spend an ass of time in the seat of my truck and enjoy my amenities. To each his own I guess. Can’t take that money with you when you die.
I love my amenities too and can’t imagine what a brand new vehicle has that my 4runner doesn’t but no way I’m buying it new. Your right, you can’t take it with you but you can live financially smart and retire a whole lot earlier!!

Reactions: importcock

I agree with what you are saying. I would think in the near future a set of electrical standard would come out for all auto makers instead of having a hodgepodge of various automakers connectors. I think competing technology will sort this out. Kind of like beta vs vhs standard ;););)

USCALUMNI

I have no desire to be "off the grid". I don't care if my power comes from nuclear or a solar farm or unicorn farts. Just as long as it's reliable and affordable. Don't want to deal with panels on my roof or inverters or storage batteries or any of that mess. Just run a wire to by house and send me a bill.

The information needs to be true to be better. No one is mandating electric vehicles. There are plenty of gas guzzlers to buy and they’re not disappearing in yours or my lifetime.
Ummm....may not be a mandate by definition but choices are being limited which I think is the point.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1256055

and

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ed...lifornia-mandates-electric-cars-for-2035.html

and

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.au...6230978/honda-electric-and-fuel-cell-by-2040/

Choices being limited by the manufacturers is not a mandate....that is the essense of capitalism, seeing an opportunity and capitalizing on it.

California mandates could be expected and planned with their smog problem from ICE engines.

Will there be consequences as a result? Absolutely....there always are when an industry changes. Doubt the builders of horse-drawn trailers liked the advent of motorized vehicles too much.

Choices being limited by the manufacturers is not a mandate....that is the essense of capitalism, seeing an opportunity and capitalizing on it.

California mandates could be expected and planned with their smog problem from ICE engines.

Will there be consequences as a result? Absolutely....there always are when an industry changes. Doubt the builders of horse-drawn trailers liked the advent of motorized vehicles too much.
Was simply pointing out a reduction in choices.

Reactions: rogue cock
The jury is out on whether the solar shingles create additional heat which may or may not degrade the roof sheathing faster than traditional shingles. I know there are credits but I am not sure what the ROI is for the shingles. Most of the companies providing solar equipment are Chinese companies for what it is worth. Few American companies . Tesla sells an outstanding product

Many Walmarts now have fast charging stations that can do a full change in as little as 10 minutes. Some can take up to 30 minutes.

No electric car goes from "empty" to full charge in 10 minutes. Not even close.
Here's what Walmart says but you may know more than they do.

10 to 30 minutes

"Users are given the option for text messaging on in-session monitoring and delivery of an electric receipt. Walmart said the new EV charging stations allow for quicker charges, ranging from 10 to 30 minutes.Aug 7, 2018"

Solution is simple, have a universal battery that will be mandated for use in all electric vehicles and have an automated replacement at each filling station that takes only 30 seconds or so. The government owns the batteries and the public pays for the cleaner air. With these type of schemes, the public always pays!

Here's what Walmart says but you may know more than they do.

10 to 30 minutes

"Users are given the option for text messaging on in-session monitoring and delivery of an electric receipt. Walmart said the new EV charging stations allow for quicker charges, ranging from 10 to 30 minutes.Aug 7, 2018"

Yes, I do know more than they do if that is what they claim. I saw that too, and it's not correct, or somebody misquoted something.

Even Telsa's superchargers only get you to 80% in 30 minutes and another 25-30 minutes to get to 100%. Trying to charge faster causes battery damage and heat issues. Tesla software prevents it.

Last edited:
I would drive a Tesla truck over GE or Ford EV... At least you have real history with a Tesla car on how well it works...

Service/maintenance on a Tesla car is every two years. This isn't a truck or car, it's a computer on the road.

05_Desktop.jpg

Solution is simple, have a universal battery that will be mandated for use in all electric vehicles and have an automated replacement at each filling station that takes only 30 seconds or so. The government owns the batteries and the public pays for the cleaner air. With these type of schemes, the public always pays!

Yeah, no. Unless you want it to be the most painful, expensive, and frustrating experience possible. The best thing THIS government could do is stay as far away as possible. The special interest and corruption will ensure that it is as bad and expensive as possible. Our government used to do a better job at funding true innovation. Now they fund political agendas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT