ADVERTISEMENT

Ford F-150 Electric. Boom or bust?

The technology will get better every year. More range, faster charging and better operation of working in extreme temperatures are on the way.

USCALUMNI

Reactions: rogue cock
What many people aren't thinking about it what a huge influx of EVs users would do to energy prices. Simple supply and demand. Expect electricity prices to go much higher and gasoline prices to drop, unless the gov gets involved and screws with the market to artificially inflate gasoline prices to keep EVs competitive. You may eventually pay the same for electricity to power your car as someone else does to run their ICE auto. And you will also pay much higher prices for all the electricity you use in your home too.

The are always unintended consequences to changes like this, especially when they are forced and rushed instead of evolving organically in the market. Sometimes they are positive. More often, they are negative.

What many people aren't thinking about it what a huge influx of EVs users would do to energy prices. Simple supply and demand. Expect electricity prices to go much higher and gasoline prices to drop, unless the gov gets involved and screws with the market to artificially inflate gasoline prices to keep EVs competitive. You may eventually pay the same for electricity to power your car as someone else does to run their ICE auto. And you will also pay much higher prices for all the electricity you use in your home too.

The are always unintended consequences to changes like this, especially when they are forced and rushed instead of evolving organically in the market. Sometimes they are positive. More often, they are negative.

What would you like to see happen?

USCALUMNI

The technology will get better every year. More range, faster charging and better operation of working in extreme temperatures are on the way.

USCALUMNI
Agree. And the automakers are being pretty smart about how they are introducing them. It seems to be primarily fleet vehicles (and I'm sure their will be a tax credit for those in addition to their existing depreciation) and higher end, luxury cars. Europeans auto manufacturers are doing it for obvious reasons, gas prices are high in comparison and they want to be more energy independent.

Reactions: uscalumni
Agree. And the automakers are being pretty smart about how they are introducing them. It seems to be primarily fleet vehicles (and I'm sure their will be a tax credit for those in addition to their existing depreciation) and higher end, luxury cars. Europeans auto manufacturers are doing it for obvious reasons, gas prices are high in comparison and they want to be more energy independent.

I am a huge Tesla fan, but I watched the F150 Lighting unveiling and it was like Ford Motor company jammed a finger in Elon Musk's eye HAHA

USCALUMNI

Yep. I actually did both. I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado. It runs like a top and looks like crap. I bouhgt a new F-150 Lariat when I retired 3 years ago. My F-150 is my every day vehicle. My old Chevy I use to pull my trailer and haul trash to the dump.
Precisely! How long till we can get a $3500 “beater” electric truck?
Answer: never. They’ll be in the junkyard long before that happens.

UK had already announced plans to ban sales of new petrol vehicles by 2030 and many car manufacturers had already indicated they planned on phasing out combustion as early as 2025.

BMW already has a zero emission combustion engine using hydrogen they are banking on being their future and a Spanish company has developed a combustion engine that uses traditional gas and still has zero emissions.
Hydrogen is not zero emission if it is burned with air which is 80% nitrogen. It is a lot better but not zero.

I wouldn’t say most
You may be right. I should’ve said most “smart” people who use a truck for it’s intended purpose. You’d have to be a moron to spend 50k on something your going to immediately beat to death. Lol

You may be right. I should’ve said most “smart” people who use a truck for it’s intended purpose. You’d have to be a moron to spend 50k on something your going to immediately beat to death. Lol
A truck is a tool for me. I own a forestry business. It goes from the lot to the woods. If I wanted something that looked nice I would buy an suv or a car.
Also it’s more like 70k not 50.

Reactions: cocks rule
A truck is a tool for me. I own a forestry business. It goes from the lot to the woods. If I wanted something that looked nice I would buy an suv or a car.
Also it’s more like 70k not 50.
I had no idea they had gotten that high but I guess there’s a sucker born every day. Lol
I’ve bought many homes for less than that. I’ve never spent over 10k on any vehicle and the 10k one was extremely nice. I felt guilty spending that much. I Didn’t really need anything that nice but really wanted it.

USCALUMNI
Truth here.
Let's keep in mind for Ford the EV 150 and the Mustang are first generation. As with any vehicle model there are continuous upgrades and improvements that are implemented.

Not very flexible. Some folks go out drinking late at night. Some pickup or dropoff folks for the redeye airlines. Some folks work the late shift and share a car with spouse who works days. I wouldn't want to be locked into having to always rest at night. It may work for some people but not others. I expect a lot of families may try to keep a foot in both camps. One electric for cheaper mileage and the other gas when electric doesn't work.
Most people don't drive over 500 miles in a day.

I would like to see the change progress through technology and the market, not through politicians that have no clue about energy generation/transmission and often have agendas not related to the best interest of real world people.

Fair enough we will see how this shakes out.

USCALUMNI

I am a huge Tesla fan, but I watched the F150 Lighting unveiling and it was like Ford Motor company jammed a finger in Elon Musk's eye HAHA

USCALUMNI
I tend to believe what Linus said in the video I posted the other day,tesla had the time till the other auto makers caught up.I would think once the main auto makers got it figured out,Tesla going to be in trouble.but we’ll see.

This is where solar power on your roof will come in handy.

The credits were in large part due to the costs of not only creating an electric vehicle but also creating a vast infrastructure throughout this country.

No other company has actually tried to create a legitimate EV until this F 150 and the VW’s.....and the only reason VW got in is because they got caught with their pants down in the emissions scandal
Not necessarily. Up until the pandemic, Volvo had planned to make all of its vehicles electric, even in the new factory in SC starting this year.

I tend to believe what Linus said in the video I posted the other day,tesla had the time till the other auto makers caught up.I would think once the main auto makers got it figured out,Tesla going to be in trouble.but we’ll see.
Could be. But Musk is doing other thing beside ev. Solar tech and home power storage. Plus I think he will leverage his charging station to charge other brands. I think musk is ahead with full self driving but we will see.

USCALUMNI

I would like to see the change progress through technology and the market, not through politicians that have no clue about energy generation/transmission and often have agendas not related to the best interest of real world people.

I never viewed these tech changes with a political lens. I am very interested in the tech because I have a EE degree from USC. Same thought process for solar power and energy storage tech.

USCALUMNI

Until a cloudy day comes or a thick layer of dust gets on the panels.

This is where storage comes in. This tech will get better year over year. Some people act as if this is not going to happen and I have trouble understanding why. Is it a political belief that renewable energy is a problem or bad for the environment? It is almost as people want to see this fail. It is my opinion the genie is out of the bottle. Big corporation and big government worldwide not just the USA are chasing this tech.

USCALUMNI

Reactions: Legendary Cock
So on a dark cloudy day solar panels operate at the same rate as a bright sunny day?
Didn't say that, I don't know what the difference in the percentages would be....but UV rays still come through as you would know if you spent a whole day on the beach on a cloudy day...plenty enough to burn the human skin.

I thought one of the ways to store was to sell extra energy to the power company and then use the power company energy when the solar panels don’t generate power. Is that not possible now?

I thought one of the ways to store was to sell extra energy to the power company and then use the power company energy when the solar panels don’t generate power. Is that not possible now?
From my understanding, yes it is. IIRC, Power companies in SC typically sell the extra power to others at a profit.

From my understanding, yes it is. IIRC, Power companies in SC typically sell the extra power to others at a profit.
If you make more kw than using, if metered properly then the utility will buy it at a certain price. If you're using their standby power, you will be charged a monthly charge which is not inexpensive.

Ford is investing 30 billion and their latest press release states that by the end of this decade 4 out of every 10 vehicles sold will be electric powered. Solid state batteries are said to be the break through for increasing range.

Are they still pushing that scam? I remember that from the 80’s. Wasn’t cost effective then, not cost effective now.
There are at least 2 companies planning on releasing solar based cars this year one of which has a base price of $25,900 with what they say is a 1k mile range.

There are at least 2 companies planning on releasing solar based cars this year one of which has a base price of $25,900 with what they say is a 1k mile range.
And the warranty? 30k is a lot of money for an experimental vehicle. Also the warranty is only good if the company is still in business.

Btw, I was referring to solar panels for homes not vehicles

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT