ADVERTISEMENT

Ford F-150 Electric. Boom or bust?

I saw this article and the 1st thing that came to my mind was Doctor Octopus in Spider-Man 2.I didn’t know this was a thing or even possible,never heard of it.This indeed could be a game changer for sure for electricity.In 50 more years,there is no telling what kind of technology will be around.

Yes, I do know more than they do if that is what they claim. I saw that too, and it's not correct, or somebody misquoted something.

Even Telsa's superchargers only get you to 80% in 30 minutes and another 25-30 minutes to get to 100%. Trying to charge faster causes battery damage and heat issues. Tesla software prevents it.
KBB states the Lucid Air can charge at a rate of 20 miles per minute.

Yeah, no. Unless you want it to be the most painful, expensive, and frustrating experience possible. The best thing THIS government could do is stay as far away as possible. The special interest and corruption will ensure that it is as bad and expensive as possible. Our government used to do a better job at funding true innovation. Now they fund political agendas.
Yep, that was about my point. However, exchanging batteries is a way that long distance travel with electric cars could be done. THIS government will do everything they can to be painful, expensive, and frustrating. You know, save the planet.

KBB states the Lucid Air can charge at a rate of 20 miles per minute.

Those are company claims for a car that hasn't been delivered yet.

Charging times will eventually get more reasonable, but they aren't there yet for existing cars you can actual buy, and certainly weren't there in August of 2018.

Rare earth elements are needed for efficient motors and those elements are mined in China. Just FYI.

Yes, I do know more than they do if that is what they claim. I saw that too, and it's not correct, or somebody misquoted something.

Even Telsa's superchargers only get you to 80% in 30 minutes and another 25-30 minutes to get to 100%. Trying to charge faster causes battery damage and heat issues. Tesla software prevents it.

While I don’t agree with your stance on electric vehicles this information about charging is spot on. Now I usually don’t “need” to charge to 80 percent unless the next supercharger is roughly 160 miles away from the previous one. I usually just charge enough to get home or to my next charger. The charge is faster closer to empty and slows closer to full, which is why I don’t charge any longer than needed.

Now on the slow chargers if I’m shopping and passing time it’s nice to get juice. But to give you an idea I went to a Braves game and I had very little charge but was not fully charged by games end....and I got there 2 hours prior to the game. So slow chargers can take a very long time to charge fully.

Reactions: vacock#
I would drive a Tesla truck over GE or Ford EV... At least you have real history with a Tesla car on how well it works...

Service/maintenance on a Tesla car is every two years. This isn't a truck or car, it's a computer on the road.

05_Desktop.jpg
I understand Elon wanting to create a “buzz” with the concept, but that damn thing is ugly. Seems he’d have more interest if he marketed a truck that looks like a conventional truck instead of a lunar rover.

Solution is simple, have a universal battery that will be mandated for use in all electric vehicles and have an automated replacement at each filling station that takes only 30 seconds or so. The government owns the batteries and the public pays for the cleaner air. With these type of schemes, the public always pays!
Some companies have already tried this including Tesla and it didn’t not go over well when it first launched. As EVs are becoming more common additional companies are trying to get this started.

The infrastructure bill is focused on ensuring there are charging stations which is the opposite of the battery swap. Of course there is a large group opposed to this as they do feel battery swaps is the way to go and want the funding to go to companies working on this technology.

The main problem is Musk sees their 2013 failure as an indication that Tesla owners don’t want this so he’s focusing on rapid charge technology. Not having your most popular EV in the swap process is going to inhibit that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-avoid-the-failures-of-previous-ventures/amp/

I haven't been able to stop looking into the Lightning since this thread came up. I'm sold. The fact that it doubles as generator for the house and has a trunk in the front finally did it for me.

Reactions: Judson1
I liked the battery exchange idea, u till so.eone pointed out that you may be trading a good battery for an old crappy one that doesnt hold charge.

Granted, you would trade it out again at the next stop.

Reactions: vacock#
How do you know what percentage he’s shown?

While I don’t agree with your stance on electric vehicles this information about charging is spot on. Now I usually don’t “need” to charge to 80 percent unless the next supercharger is roughly 160 miles away from the previous one. I usually just charge enough to get home or to my next charger. The charge is faster closer to empty and slows closer to full, which is why I don’t charge any longer than needed.

Now on the slow chargers if I’m shopping and passing time it’s nice to get juice. But to give you an idea I went to a Braves game and I had very little charge but was not fully charged by games end....and I got there 2 hours prior to the game. So slow chargers can take a very long time to charge fully.
What does a typical 30 minute - 80 percent charge cost you, assuming you are getting about 160 miles out of this 30 minute charge? Just wondering how economical it is compared to gasoline per mile.

What does a typical 30 minute - 80 percent charge cost you, assuming you are getting about 160 miles out of this 30 minute charge? Just wondering how economical it is compared to gasoline per mile.

Great question. It usually runs about $5 a charge. Keep in mind that this is only going to kick in when I’m driving over 100 miles away from home. Most of my charging is done in my garage with very little added to my power bill. Maybe 7-10 dollars a month. Like adding a freezer or fridge in the garage.

Great question. It usually runs about $5 a charge. Keep in mind that this is only going to kick in when I’m driving over 100 miles away from home. Most of my charging is done in my garage with very little added to my power bill. Maybe 7-10 dollars a month. Like adding a freezer or fridge in the garage.
How much for insurance and or property tax?

Reactions: cocks rule
I haven't been able to stop looking into the Lightning since this thread came up. I'm sold. The fact that it doubles as generator for the house and has a trunk in the front finally did it for me.

My 2017 Honda Ridgeline comes with an inverter to power 110 AC devices.

How much for insurance and or property tax?

Not cheap. Again it’s not for everyone. Never would advocate it as such. Insurance is about $180 a month. Not cheap to insure. Property tax is $530. Also got an EV fee (thanks SC) of $120.

It’s not for everyone and it’s not free. But you’re going to pay car insurance regardless unless you break the law. It can be cheaper, but it’s not going to be cheap for any new vehicle (mine is 2020). Property taxes are higher on more expensive vehicles. The EV fee is so the state can collect taxes from me since I don’t buy gas. But someone smarter than me can figure out how much gas I would have to purchase in a year to pay $120 in gas taxes.

Not cheap. Again it’s not for everyone. Never would advocate it as such. Insurance is about $180 a month. Not cheap to insure. Property tax is $530. Also got an EV fee (thanks SC) of $120.

It’s not for everyone and it’s not free. But you’re going to pay car insurance regardless unless you break the law. It can be cheaper, but it’s not going to be cheap for any new vehicle (mine is 2020). Property taxes are higher on more expensive vehicles. The EV fee is so the state can collect taxes from me since I don’t buy gas. But someone smarter than me can figure out how much gas I would have to purchase in a year to pay $120 in gas taxes.
About $500 in gas.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

That is living large! My costs are much less. Insurance 430 a year, taxes 47, gas around 700 a year

That is living large! My costs are much less. Insurance 430 a year, taxes 47, gas around 700 a year
Man I was thinking that sounds pretty good. While insurance on the Jeep is about half that cost property tax and gas costs wipe that difference out pretty quickly.

Man I was thinking that sounds pretty good. While insurance on the Jeep is about half that cost property tax and gas costs wipe that difference out pretty quickly.

In the end the government gets their slice no matter what. I don’t buy gas and oil changes and they get cheaper insurance and property tax.

I’m really not crushing it. It’s a $40,000 car and there are some people driving nice trucks and BMWs priced well above that. It’s really no different than me getting a $30,000 car and then shelling out for gas and maintenance. There’s no shortage of $30,000 cars out there

Not to mention the initial cost of the vehicle. It’s a lose lose every time. Not even in the same stratosphere. Until they can build an EV with a 500 mile range, 10 yr warranty and sell it for 15k it’s not worth looking at for me

What car fits that bill right now?

Yeah I guess stopping once or twice to charge and paying about $10 in electricity to go 500 miles with a 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty isn’t impressive enough.

But one day it’ll be better than that....

Yeah I guess stopping once or twice to charge and paying about $10 in electricity to go 500 miles with a 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty isn’t impressive enough.

But one day it’ll be better than that....
Total dollar cost averaging is killing it. One day IF they can build a long lasting (500k mi) EV that makes it into the used car market it’ll work. Battery life is no where near this yet and probably never will be.

Total dollar cost averaging is killing it. One day IF they can build a long lasting (500k mi) EV that makes it into the used car market it’ll work. Battery life is no where near this yet and probably never will be.

I appreciate the fact that you’re open minded enough to consider it an option. I do hope to get 500,000 on mine, but I’m only at 14,000 right now so there’s a long way to go.

Tesla is already working on the “million mile battery”. If you think about how much this technology has improved in the last 10 years, I think it’s fairly safe to believe it can be done in the next 10 years.

Reactions: uscalumni
Not to mention the initial cost of the vehicle. It’s a lose lose every time. Not even in the same stratosphere. Until they can build an EV with a 500 mile range, 10 yr warranty and sell it for 15k it’s not worth looking at for me
If that’s your criteria there aren’t a lot of ice vehicles you’d look at.

Cost of operating EV will come down over time. EVERYTHING is going electric lawn mowers boats and cars. Companies operating fleet vehicles will jump on it like no tomorrow. Saw a video on YouTube about some history of new tech coming online in America. Tech that started in the early 1900s: electricity, television, computers and cell phones. All that stuff started off small and exploded in society following an S curve.

USCALUMNI

Cost of operating EV will come down over time. EVERYTHING is going electric lawn mowers boats and cars. Companies operating fleet vehicles will jump on it like no tomorrow. Saw a video on YouTube about some history of new tech coming online in America. Tech that started in the early 1900s: electricity, television, computers and cell phones. All that stuff started off small and exploded in society following an S curve.

USCALUMNI
I've got an electric lawnmower and leaf blower (both battery powered) and I love them. I'll be keeping a close eye the EV market when that time comes.

This thread should have been titled: "Ford F-150 electric. Boom or Buzzzzz"......

In reference to the talk about electric shingles, there's also organic and graded solar cell technology being developed that would make solar-panel glass windows for residential and commercial construction. The day may come where every surface of a building or automobile that is exposed regularly to the sun will utilize a form of solar-power generating material for electrical purposes.....

USCALUMNI
In theory yes but they’ve been making Jeeps for 80 years now and every time a new one comes out it is more expensive than the last. Eventually the cost of materials is offset by the desire for profit and as costs drop and demands increases it is possible prices remain stable or increase.

Reactions: uscalumni
Without googling it,does anyone know why you can’t have a alternator like we already have on cars to recharge the battery? I know there is no moving parts like belts and such but there has to be a way if they wanted to I guess,maybe I’m over simplifying it?

Without googling it,does anyone know why you can’t have a alternator like we already have on cars to recharge the battery? I know there is no moving parts like belts and such but there has to be a way if they wanted to I guess,maybe I’m over simplifying it?
You have to use power to create power so my guess would be that the drag a kinetic type charger would create would offset its ability to charge the batteries which would theoretically reduce range.

There are plenty you just have to think outside the box. Don’t ever follow the flock. They are ALWAYS being herded to the corral for slaughter.

There are plenty you just have to think outside the box. Don’t ever follow the flock. They are ALWAYS being herded to the corral for slaughter.
I’ve had two boxes and loved them both. My Scion was probably my favorite compact car ever. Looked small but inside had amazing room. My Jeep is probably my favorite vehicle I’ve ever had. Super versatile and loads of fun. Neither one ever got 500 miles on a tank of gas.

I don’t know that I’ve ever even really looked at MPG when buying a car though so I’m probably not the target audience of some of these things.

Did you guys know that Daccus Turman broke Herschel Walker's single season rushing record in the state of Georgia?

I’ve had two boxes and loved them both. My Scion was probably my favorite compact car ever. Looked small but inside had amazing room. My Jeep is probably my favorite vehicle I’ve ever had. Super versatile and loads of fun. Neither one ever got 500 miles on a tank of gas.

I don’t know that I’ve ever even really looked at MPG when buying a car though so I’m probably not the target audience of some of these things.
Mpg has never played a factor in my vehicle choice. I buy what I need at the time and then pick what I want in that category. Total cost is my only focus. Vehicle price, taxes, insurance. Done........Gas mileage would only matter if I drove for a living.

Makes no sense to use electric power from your battery to spin an alternator to charge the battery. That would be parasitic and cost efficiency.

Regenerative braking does something similar. In simple terms, it turns your electric motor into an electric generator and charges the battery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT