ADVERTISEMENT

Former players give Ray Tanner their wishlist for head coach search

If the hire was made solely on this then it would be a bad move. But Ray, possibly a dummy, isn’t that dumb. He’s just wanting buyin from former players because he knows how bad it is when former players are bashing the program and its’ coach.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Listening to former players is a helluva way to expand the coaching search, says no one ever!
Right because people who have played FB their whole lives know nothing about football. Why haven’t we consulted former basketball players or music majors yet?!?

Reactions: Dizzy01
You want former players involved in your program especially recent player with recent success. Having one of them on campus for recruits to “run into” never hurts.

I remember how former Miami Hurricanes players pushed for Randy Shannon to become the Miami HC. I think he lasted 4 years before he was fired.
Yeah yeah -and former players said good stuff about Dabo encouraging them to keep him as HC too... Nobody is saying that player recommendations are the only reason he should be considered but the numerous positive statements made about him by players, coaches and administrators who used to/currently work with him are certainly not a negative.

Reactions: Brace1
Right because people who have played FB their whole lives know nothing about football. Why haven’t we consulted former basketball players or music majors yet?!?
I would bet you every penny I have that I know as much or more about football as the majority of former players, and I'm a music teacher. Does that mean I'm qualified to choose the next coach? Absolutely not! As I have mentioned before, players have a tendency to be super-loyal to their coaches, and if that's not an option, then they're going to go with someone they feel is similar to their coach.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Having former players feel vested, feel like part of a family, and given an opportunity to provide input is definitely a good thing. Doesn’t mean you hire who they tell you to, but definitely important to give them a voice

I want someone that is a players coach and one that is loved by the players and will lay it on the line for him. Strong comments from ex-players is good enough for me. along with other evaluations of a candidate. That said, I would be happy with either Beamer, Napier or Chadwell. Go cocks!

Having former players feel vested, feel like part of a family, and given an opportunity to provide input is definitely a good thing. Doesn’t mean you hire who they tell you to, but definitely important to give them a voice
This is absolutely correct!

Ray must have known before he set up the meeting that the candidate who has had the most contact with these former players is Beamer, unless I am missing someone?

Signed,

Mukuamu, Horn, Roderick, Nixon, and Kinlaw

slack response...if you’d pay attention you’d see the guys pushing him were all from the best era we’ve ever had at Carolina. Doesn’t mean it’s the right choice but your response was lame.

slack response...if you’d pay attention you’d see the guys pushing him were all from the best era we’ve ever had at Carolina. Doesn’t mean it’s the right choice but your response was lame.
I think the point of my response is evident to anyone who isn't lame. Doesn't look like you get it.

I want someone that is a players coach and one that is loved by the players and will lay it on the line for him. Strong comments from ex-players is good enough for me. along with other evaluations of a candidate. That said, I would be happy with either Beamer, Napier or Chadwell. Go cocks!
Technically, you just described Muschamp. pretty much EVERY player who has played under him has had nothing but amazing things to say. The same goes for his superiors and members of his staff. His problem was he couldn't get out of his own way. He always seemed a little scared to let the coordinators do their jobs. This is why he made such a fantastic coordinator for most of his career. He could really focus on one facet of the game and let the offensive and ST guys worry about their areas.

Who cares what they think? I can remember a portion of the players being upset when Brad Scott was fired. Ray needs to pay it no attention and do his job.

Reactions: Brace1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT