ADVERTISEMENT

Frank I thought you said....

This season is morphing into his farewell tour. 10 years is plenty. Thankful for the Final Four run, but the product is typically unwatchable and his on-court attitude remains atrocious. If we're going to regularly finish outside of tournament play, might as well aim for a more enjoyable regular season for fans to attend.
Many people say that Coach K is way worse on sidelines than Frank but because he wins it gets overlooked. When you don’t win it gets magnified and seems like a tyrant running the program. Frank does lose it on sidelines a good bit but if we were to watch ALL coaches, then we would see he is far from the worst. It’s because he does not win much that it seems worse and gets more negative attention.

I'm not sure just who our fanbase think we are...The way some of you talk, One would think we were annual participates in the NCAA tournament prior to his arrival. We are stuck between tobacco road and several SEC schools with tremendous history in basketball. These things take time. Top basketball talent in our state have avoided our University for years, Coach Martin is making inroads with those kind of kids now. Changing coaches every 5-6 years will only to continue to set us back. I like where our basketball program is going. The man is a very good coach.
Tater troll

Reactions: SOSUSC and aceman39
Not advocating either way but some people seem to be under the impression that we have been some kind of power house program that Martin has brought down. While he may well have hit his ceiling here his ceiling has been a lot better than what we’ve seen in program history. He is likely to come out of this season second only to McGuire in terms of wins. In terms of coaches who have been here 5 plus season his winning percentage is only behind McGuire, Felton and Odom but other than McGuire there really isn’t much difference there.

In terms of fan base I think this is another romanticized experience. I remember when Odom was having his runs and winning the NIT we got lower level tickets just walking up a half hour before tip off. Even during the FF run we were getting free tickets from Bi-Lo constantly. Even when we are having success we aren’t a basketball school that leads up the arena.
This should not be an excuse to keep a coach in perpetuity. No, we are not a basketball school. However, there is enough talent in this area for us to be better if we get the right coach which, in my opinion, we have rarely done. Players do know where Columbia, SC is. That is proven by the rise of the women's program. We have a coach which today's player responds to and they come. Right now, we just don't have it on the men's side. Yea, I know the player-coach speak about how the players on the team now love Coach Martin. However, to me players vote their choices in coming to your school. In looking at our team, we play a clunky style of offensive basketball that today's players won't respond to for the most part. This is not the 90's. Most of the players playing now weren't even on this earth during the rock-fight basketball games of that era. So they don't care about that style. We need to stop trying to fit a square peg into a round circle and accept that we need a change.

it's more than enough. Who do you think we're going to be able to bring in after firing someone like Frank Martin? Candidates weren't exactly lining up to come before he took over the job. As a matter of fact, due to our unrealistic fanbase and crazy expectations, successful coaches and up and coming coaches have been advised to avoid our Men's Basketball Program. Yeah, lets fire him and see who else the GOOD OL' BOY system can bring our way. Maybe, if we're lucky, we can get another Darrin Horn.
I bet you were saying the same thing about Muschamp. You remind me of some of my loser mentality friends that tried to talk me out of breaking up with my x girlfriend saying things like if I broke up with her who else would date me. They are all eating crow now. Have some self respect.

I'm sick of watching our bigs come up top, outside the three point line, to set picks. It takes them completely out of the play. They hardly roll off the pick and if they do, well they are no where near the basket to dish the ball to.

Reactions: jweaks
Many people say that Coach K is way worse on sidelines than Frank but because he wins it gets overlooked. When you don’t win it gets magnified and seems like a tyrant running the program. Frank does lose it on sidelines a good bit but if we were to watch ALL coaches, then we would see he is far from the worst. It’s because he does not win much that it seems worse and gets more negative attention.
Maybe so. At least Coach K mixes it up with positivity. Frank typically stays in tyrant mode for all 60 minutes.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I bet you were saying the same thing about Muschamp. You remind me of some of my loser mentality friends that tried to talk me out of breaking up with my x girlfriend saying things like if I broke up with her who else would date me. They are all eating crow now. Have some self respect.
I'm not here to dish out relationship advice. You're on your own with that one pal. Self Respect? You're the one that brought up your past relationships out of nowhere. If you've found love, that's great. Now, let us not talk about this again. Have a great day Casanova.

I'm not here to dish out relationship advice. You're on your own with that one pal. Self Respect? You're the one that brought up your past relationships out of nowhere. If you've found love, that's great. Now, let us not talk about this again. Have a great day Casanova.
Your inability to see the correlation tells all that is needed to know.

• Haha
Reactions: Platinumspur
Defense at the expense of offense can work (Virginia), but only if you have elite defense (Virginia).

I think he expected some of these transfers to come in a contribute immediately on offense, but they stayed true to their career shooting percentages.
Teams like Virginia or Wisconsin under Bo Ryan were successful because of efficiency. They didn’t turn the ball over and they didn’t foul. They played slow and didn’t always get great shots, but what they didn’t do is throw away possessions or give their opponents free throws. Other coaches, like Martin, who want to create turnovers and chaos too often do that at the expense of fouling. When you play well coached teams, more often than not they can still create efficient scoring opportunities against aggressive defenses. You just compound their ability to be efficient offensively by giving them free throws.

Conversely, you can live a little bit better with a low field goal percentage if you’re getting shots. If you’re turning the ball over 15, 16, 17 times a game— that’s 5,6,7 less shots a game than a quality opponent is getting. If you’re a team that shoots it at 40%, those extra 7 shots are critical.

Maybe so. At least Coach K mixes it up with positivity. Frank typically stays in tyrant mode for all 60 minutes.
Coach Martin did give Jacobi Wright a fist bump last night. I think Coach Martin should of refrained his comments about AJ Wilson during the post game interview.

Reactions: turncock
I have always been of the opinion that our Final Four run was a combination of 2-3 circumstances going our way and said very little about FM as a coach. Horn was a bad steward of our program, but he worked Thornwell for at least two years. Was always in the gyms in the York, Chester, and Lancaster county area working that guy. When UNC didn't offer, we were the program he was coming to. Second, Thornwell did not develop into a potential pro prospect as quickly as expected and it allowed him to stick around and slowly become better as a player and as a leader. Third, Dozier sniffed around at UNC and Louisville. However, I was at USC when the Doziers played and always felt PJ was coming here. You have the makings of a team when you combine that with a tough role player like Notice, an athlete like Silva, and a hard working big man in Kotsar. We still struggled the score. We were even down at halftime to Marquette in the first round tournament game, but we had something that most elite college programs don't have now. Strong senior leadership that could actually play. After being denied the tournament the year before, I think that team was pretty much coaching itself by tournament time the following year. Coaches, especially on the college level, get the credit, but many times teams that go on a run have player leadership that run the team.
You hit the nail on the head!!!! Thornwell and Dozier led that team and with the support cast that you mentioned they overcame Martins antics. Plus someone (surely not Martin but maybe Thornwell and Dozier) installed a terrific zone defense led by Thornwell and Dozier at the top disrupting every offense they faced in the tournament. Even Coach K and Duke struggled against it! That same zone defense allowed us to cut into Auburns lead last week and gave us a chance to tie the game late in the second half before a couple of turnovers caused Martin to resort to his "hack attack" defense (in his words a "tough hardnosed man to man"). In reality nothing more than a "backdoor to heaven defense" that Coach Pearle immediately ripped apart.

You should know the answer by now. We have never been any good except for one brief period of time, will never be any good because we can’t recruit, we just need to accept what we are and don’t try to be any better! It’s impossible for us to be in the middle of the ACC and recruit against team like Duke, North Carolina and all those great schools up there because we are South Carolina. So let’s just accept who we are and live with it and don’t expect anything else. In addition Frank is a good good man. He teaches his players…… At least if you stay around for two years…… How to accept verbal abuse in front of a big crowd and stI’ll play on.
See the comments by platinumspur above!
So, on his resume he should put he is a 'good good man' and hope his next stop is dumb enough to pay him over $3M per year for teams that are less than mediocre. Damn, Frank has it made.

Reactions: jweaks
I'm not sure just who our fanbase think we are...The way some of you talk, One would think we were annual participates in the NCAA tournament prior to his arrival. We are stuck between tobacco road and several SEC schools with tremendous history in basketball. These things take time. Top basketball talent in our state have avoided our University for years, Coach Martin is making inroads with those kind of kids now. Changing coaches every 5-6 years will only to continue to set us back. I like where our basketball program is going. The man is a very good coach.
Is that you Darrin?

There was no saving Mike Holmes. The greatest problem and enemy he had was himself.

if you’ve ever been to any of K’s practices, you’d know he isn’t very “positive” at all. But it seems to work for him as it does many.

If you don’t want to fire a coach, you don’t have to wait out his contract. Just quit renewing it, adding on years. He’ll get the message and you can save yourself a few years.

I like Frank Martin and want him to succeed. Martin is in his 10th season at South Carolina.

You wrote, "Coach Martin is making inroads with those kind of kids [top basketball talent in SC] now." After almost 10 seasons, he is making inroads? Why hasn't he already made inroads?

You wrote, "The man is a very good coach." What successes should fans expect from a very good coach? How many regular season wins? How many post season wins?

Ok Frank we get it.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Yes, you have no idea what damage Darrin Horn did to the credibility of our Men's basketball program. The way he ran off tremendous talented player (Mike Holmes) that did not buy into his awful game strategies and game management. The way he advised other players on the roster to leave prior to his dismissal. Yeah, I am very serious. I often wonder just what many of you poster are thinking. We were in a bad way with multiple High school coaches and AAU coaches due to Darrin Horn's actions. Our current head coach has made strides in changing the mindset of our Men's BB program. Frank Martin is a damn good coach and tremendous ambassador of our University.
he is not a good coach, in fact he sucks as a coach. He cant recruit, win games, run games, coach his coaches. he simply cannot do a F45king thing right. On a another note, you are a troll, or a dumbass for defending this terrible coach.

Frank has been the coach for 10 years - it's not like he has had a short leash at USC. He's shown beyond a reasonable doubt as to what he can do at USC. It's not enough.

There is no reason USC shouldn't have been back in the tourney in 2018-19 when they started, and finished, strong in SEC play - final record 11-7 in conference. But they lost early in the season to Stony Brook, Wofford and Wyoming. Because that's what happens with Frank.

The schools around us are meaningless. It's not unreasonable to expect a coach to take USC to the dance once every four seasons. Especially not in the SEC.
The schools around us are definitely not meaningless. How many coaches in program history have done what you say is not unreasonable?

Maybe keep Fogler away from the next search - though I don't know if you want Ray doing the hiring. There are plenty of good coaches that would jump at the job. Tons actually. The expectations-to-resources ratio is off the charts in favor of the coaches at USC.

And remember, at the time getting Frank was a coup. He was a power 5 coach that had been to the tourney 4 out of 5 years and had never won less than 21 games in a season. He was a home run. But you never know what you have until someone is actually in the building. And 10 years later, we know what USC has, and we need to see what someone else can do.
Maybe that last paragraph is a harsh reality; maybe its telling us something.

Kids do not grow up wanting to play for South Carolina. Its not the sexy school. To advance past what we are and have been for decades will take actions and mindsets outside the box. Doesn't seem we are much interested in that.

I've grown tired of frank too. I harbor no belief that any other coach will come in here and make a significant improvement, but enough is enough with Frank. Were it not for the ridiculous and embarrassing tantrums and ballistic moments, or if those were directed more at officials than at our players, I'd still be on his side, but it is what it is. Dude needs Prozac. Maybe that's telling us something too.

That's right. Just give him another 10 years.

Missed that. What did he say about Wilson?
Coach Martin said that Wilson was mentally disconnected and not focused. He also said that Couisnard only played four minutes in the second half is because he was not happy with Couisnard's disposition. I feel like this will only create tension between the players and Coach Martin. Coach Martin did praise Jacobi Wright.

Last edited:
He's doing well. Let us not forget the Dumpster Fire he took over after the previous coaching staff, who by the way purposely sabotaged our program on his way out the door. To dig us out of that mess and be able to recruit to the level he has was/is anything less than amazing. Man, we were the laughing stock of college basketball with a empty Coliseum and losing seasons. Frank Martin is a good coach. We will be just fine with him.
You have got to be a plant. Frank is doing many things but doing well is not one of them.

This should not be an excuse to keep a coach in perpetuity. No, we are not a basketball school. However, there is enough talent in this area for us to be better if we get the right coach which, in my opinion, we have rarely done. Players do know where Columbia, SC is. That is proven by the rise of the women's program. We have a coach which today's player responds to and they come. Right now, we just don't have it on the men's side. Yea, I know the player-coach speak about how the players on the team now love Coach Martin. However, to me players vote their choices in coming to your school. In looking at our team, we play a clunky style of offensive basketball that today's players won't respond to for the most part. This is not the 90's. Most of the players playing now weren't even on this earth during the rock-fight basketball games of that era. So they don't care about that style. We need to stop trying to fit a square peg into a round circle and accept that we need a change.
Coop truer words were never spoken. Even Coach K who probably invented defense saw the light a few years ago and began a fast paced style. Frank hasnt evolved. Today is run gun shoot dunk. Frank is Princeton without the weave. Time to bring Mens Bb into the current era

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Coop truer words were never spoken. Even Coach K who probably invented defense saw the light a few years ago and began a fast paced style. Frank hasnt evolved. Today is run gun shoot dunk. Frank is Princeton without the weave. Time to bring Mens Bb into the current era
Agreed. Frank's coaching methods and style of play are not inline with today's player.

The act has grown old. Another school would have already made the change.
As I said in the other thread we are a complacent and extremely patient group with zero desire to succeed. There's literally no school that would've kept Martin this long. Even schools like Wofford, Tulsa, South Dakota St would've fired him by now but not us...nope.

Coach Martin said that Wilson was mentally disconnected and not focused. He also said that Couisnard only played four minutes in the second half is because he was not happy with Couisnard's disposition. I feel like this will only create tension between the players and Coach Martin. Coach Martin did praise Jacobi Wright.
Typical Martin jibberish, excuse making, arrogant, know it all crap! He is so smart, and knows so much more than the rest of us, other coaches and most any other human alive! Players dont like him, he cant recruit! Show him the door and take Ray with him!

Reactions: aceman39 and adcoop
Only coach in the history of Gamecock basketball to take a team to the final four.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT