ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin fired

Excellent news. Tired of tolerating coaches extra years that don't produce. Now, who does USC go after?

Reactions: cockofdawn
ESPN potential replacement list:
Dennis Gates
Matt McMahon
Lamont Paris
BJ Mckie
Mike Boynton

If that’s the list (which I’m aware it’s not necessarily the list) we might as well go with McKie. There is no home run hire in that list. None.

I'd buy Mike from Okie State myself. I feel more confident in him vs BJ. And those other guys definitely aren't anything special.

We just have to hope and expect Ray Tanner has a list of good coaches he knows will at least be interested. Real interest not get a raise interest.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
ESPN potential replacement list:
Dennis Gates
Matt McMahon
Lamont Paris
BJ Mckie
Mike Boynton

If that’s the list (which I’m aware it’s not necessarily the list) we might as well go with McKie. There is no home run hire in that list. None.
Of those, McMahon is far and away the best. He has won 3 conference championships, plus a 4th conference regular season championship, in 7 seasons, winning 75% of his conference games and 70% of all his games. And he has made it to the Big Dance 3 times, including this season, making it to the Round of 32 once.

Last edited:
We just have to hope and expect Ray Tanner has a list of good coaches he knows will at least be interested. Real interest not get a raise interest.
Ray has had several years to work on it. Let’s hope he has several pretty good names on his list.

Reactions: PC31 and PaleoCock
Of those, McMahon is far and away the best. He has won 3 conference championships, plus a 4th conference regular season championship, in 7 seasons, winning 75% of his conference games and 70% of all his games. And he has made it to the Big Dance 3 times, including this season, making it to the Round of 32 once.
Yeah he’s definitely the most accomplished, but I don’t know how that would translate to success here.

I'd take a look at Niko Medved out at Colorado St. He turned Furman around when that place was a disaster. Has a 6 seed in the tournament this year with Colorado St.
I wonder if he could find his way back home?

I'd like to see. Not a splash hire that some will want. But nobody that would be a splash is coming to USC, unless it is a Dave Odom situation where the guy has seen his best day and looking for one more pay day. And Medved might not would leave where he is. Just got a big raise and has a good program. But the guy can coach.

The only thing about Medved - when he was at Furman, the average height of his coaching staff was around 5’3”, including himself. I always wondered, “Who is coaching the post players?”

Reactions: Follyboy 56
Can Dawn get a raise and take over coaching duties of the Mens team? Assistant takes over her job.

Some of these folks might have other options out there. South Carolina might not be the city on a hill they want to jump on right away.

Frank Martin has a lot of credibility in the coaching world. Some might say "If Frank couldn't get them to the tourney anywhere close to regularly, there might be things there that I need to say away from"

They probably reached a gentleman's agreement with the writing on the wall. No need to wait out the 2.5 weeks.

Chances are Frank received some walking money. Very well could have been the entire $3mil.
Bingo....and that is based on the second year of his contract where the buyout is somewhere between $0 (the buyout for his last two years) and $5M (buyout his first year of the contract extension).

Reactions: PaleoCock
Unpopular opinion: Boynton would be a disastrous hire.

Another unpopular opinion: We could do a lot worse than Niko Medved
Disagree with the initial statement. Boynton may not win like we want him to if hired. How would his hire be disastrous based on our history though. He would be like any other hire in my opinion. Give him 4-5 years. See what he would do with the program and move on if it doesn't work out. However, you are making the guy out to be the second coming of Darrin Horn before giving him a chance. Medved has done a good job at Colorado State, but he has only made the tournament one time. Same as Boynton. Both would be a crapshoot based on our history. So, you just a pick the guy that you think is best and hope it works out.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT