ADVERTISEMENT

Funniest fishing story

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
I have a bunch but this might be my favorite . A few summers back I went to the pier and there were a couple of dudes obviously completely hammered . They were from Tennessee because I heard them say it several times . They were being complete jackasses . Anyway i noticed they were filling the cooler up with fish so I walked over to take a look . They had a cooler load of undersized Redfish all about 9 to 10 inches . The limit in Florida is 18 to 27 2 fish per person . These guys probably had 40 undersized fish . This type of stuff really pisses me off but I tried to be cool and just assumed they were just ignorant of the regs . So I walked up and calmly explained to them the regulations and asked them not to kill another illegal fish . They basically told me to go F myself and after some pushing and shoving I decided going to jail (again) would really piss my wife off so i walked away . Well karma is a bitch . About two minutes later one of these clowns caught a monster bluefish , probably 12lbs . Not being a saltwater fisherman the guy reached down to lip the fish . For those who don’t know bluefish , even small ones can literally bite your fingers off . My first impulse was to yell “NOOOO!!” but what goes around comes around . He stuck his thumb in its mouth and it absolutely chomped his entire hand and latched on and started shaking its head like a crocodile. Blood was flying everywhere . By the time they got the fish off his hand it looked like he stuck it in a meat grinder . Here’s the best part ... they ran to the hospital to get stitched up and left all of their gear . The pier manager found the cooler full of illegal fish and when they came back from the hospital to retrieve their stuff DNR was waiting for them . They arrested both and I can’t even imagine the fine . Will never forget it . Karma is definitely a bitch

Years ago my wife, then 7 year old son, and I went on a short fishing trip in Port Aransas Texas. The boat was crowded and the only people catching anything were a couple of locals using live shrimp. The rest of us were using squid provided by the boat crew. My son pulled in something about the size of your hand. I got one about half that size. I decided to take a break and my wife, who had been reading a book, decided to give it a shot. So one of the locals, seeing my wife was gonna give it a try, decided to bait the hook for her - using live shrimp. She drops the line in the water and not 60 seconds later is pulling out a 28 pound drum. They get it on the boat, she hands me the pole, picks up her book and says, "Let me know if you need any tips." We have a great picture of me holding the smallest fish, my son holding his, and my wife and one of the boat workers holding up her massive fish.

Years ago my wife, then 7 year old son, and I went on a short fishing trip in Port Aransas Texas. The boat was crowded and the only people catching anything were a couple of locals using live shrimp. The rest of us were using squid provided by the boat crew. My son pulled in something about the size of your hand. I got one about half that size. I decided to take a break and my wife, who had been reading a book, decided to give it a shot. So one of the locals, seeing my wife was gonna give it a try, decided to bait the hook for her - using live shrimp. She drops the line in the water and not 60 seconds later is pulling out a 28 pound drum. They get it on the boat, she hands me the pole, picks up her book and says, "Let me know if you need any tips." We have a great picture of me holding the smallest fish, my son holding his, and my wife and one of the boat workers holding up her massive fish.

That freaking awesome !!! From someone who used to work in the charter business here’s a tip ... if you’re fishing on a party boat chat up one of the deckhands and tip him well BEFORE you start fishing . Usually they keep a few prize baits tucked away for Generous customers !!! Also your line will be the first to get untangled and your fish will be the first to get dehooked and you will spend more time in the water . I bet your wife will never let you live that down !!

That freaking awesome !!! From someone who used to work in the charter business here’s a tip ... if you’re fishing on a party boat chat up one of the deckhands and tip him well BEFORE you start fishing . Usually they keep a few prize baits tucked away for Generous customers !!! Also your line will be the first to get untangled and your fish will be the first to get dehooked and you will spend more time in the water . I bet your wife will never let you live that down !!
Thanks for the tips but my time on a fishing boat is probably over. About two years after my wife showed me up, I took my boy on a 4 hour fishing trip. About an hour in, I joined the other 75% of the boat in puking my guts out for the remainder of the trip. Fortunately, before becoming overcome by the waves I had stuck up a conversation with guy standing next to me. As I continuously wretched violently over a 3 hour period, he was nice enough to look out for my son - helped him with everything. That was a long and miserable day. I think I'll stick to pier fishing!

Thanks for the tips but my time on a fishing boat is probably over. About two years after my wife showed me up, I took my boy on a 4 hour fishing trip. About an hour in, I joined the other 75% of the boat in puking my guts out for the remainder of the trip. Fortunately, before becoming overcome by the waves I had stuck up a conversation with guy standing next to me. As I continuously wretched violently over a 3 hour period, he was nice enough to look out for my son - helped him with everything. That was a long and miserable day. I think I'll stick to pier fishing!

Haha yeah it can get pretty knarly out there !!! In my charter days many moons ago I had a couple booked and unfortunately the weather was horrendous. I called them the night before and told them it would be best to reschedule but they were absolutely insistent . I begged them to reconsider but I also warned them that if we leave the dock I’m getting paid . Well to make a long story short we left the dock and didn’t make it 100 yards outside the jetties and they were begging to turn around . Took them back, dropped them off and took my $800 . Not bad for 15 minutes worth of work and I didn’t clean a single fish . Tried to warn them but some folks just know everything .

Haha yeah it can get pretty knarly out there !!! In my charter days many moons ago I had a couple booked and unfortunately the weather was horrendous. I called them the night before and told them it would be best to reschedule but they were absolutely insistent . I begged them to reconsider but I also warned them that if we leave the dock I’m getting paid . Well to make a long story short we left the dock and didn’t make it 100 yards outside the jetties and they were begging to turn around . Took them back, dropped them off and took my $800 . Not bad for 15 minutes worth of work and I didn’t clean a single fish . Tried to warn them but some folks just know everything .
Yeouch!$ They were warned!

Reactions: caughtlookin
My dad and I caught the same fish at the same time once. I said "I got a bite". Before I could set the hook Dad said "So do I". Then we reeled up the same small bass. Some people get doubles. I get halves.

This is more a boating story than fishing. But my dad and I were out fishing once in my fish & ski boat. We were striking out at this location so we packed up to move. The boat wouldn't crank. It wouldn't even make a clicking sound. Looked at the battery connections an took the cowl off and could see no problems. There was another boat in the area that offered us a tow and we accepted. I took the boat home and parked it. I would periodically go outside and fool around with it. I missed about 6 months of fishing because of this episode. My dad called me one day and said "Have you checked the kill switch?" Sonofa..! That's all it was.

I went out once in 10 foot swells. I was sick all day as were the rest of the group. I have been out once since. While it was still a little rough, it was no problem. It's when the boat tosses so much all you see is water-sky-water that gets you. You get no equilibrium. Then if you sit it gets worse. I'll probably stick to inshore and freshwater from here on.

My Daddy was an Edisto River fisherman. Cane pole and worms. One day he was talked into going fishing off shore. Got violently ill. When they got back to the hill, he made the statement that he didn’t want to fish anywhere he couldn’t grab hold of a tree limb.

As a teenager back in the early 70’s I worked on a boat called the Helen Jean out of Little River - what the previous poster said about tipping is absolutely true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT