ADVERTISEMENT

GA Mangus is coaching NY in XFL

The plays were there. The QB was garbage. Even the announcers were commenting about the plays were there. I think the former UNC QB will be the starter...

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
I am not surprised one bit. He always seemed to on the fast track to professional football. Just another feather in our cap when we talk to elite level recruits.

I am not surprised one bit. He always seemed to on the fast track to professional football. Just another feather in our cap when we talk to elite level recruits.

That can't be serious. People hated him when he was here, I can't imagine where you got the idea he was breaking into the pros....that's why he's an OC in the XFL lol dude was 100% garbage. Can't believe he's still in the business to be honest.

That can't be serious. People hated him when he was here, I can't imagine where you got the idea he was breaking into the pros....that's why he's an OC in the XFL lol dude was 100% garbage. Can't believe he's still in the business to be honest.
You have no clue. Mangus was a brilliant OC/HC long before he came to USC. Do some research.
He also recruited & mentored Shaw and Thompson as well as help integrate the zone offense plays that helped us win 33 games in 3 seasons. The only people hating on Mangus were idiots.

If you want some perspective on what happened on Sunday....here's several former NFL players/execs comments.

He did a lot here with 2-3* QBs.

Can’t disagree more. GA was a very good OC. If Sr had let him call more plays you’d have seen more of it. Typically Sr wanted to call plays, if it wasn’t clicking he’d sometimes hand off play calling to someone else.

There’s a game comes to mind, think it was against Kentucky. Watching the game, the offense looked like Jekyl and Hyde, 1st and 3rd quarters were great and innovative looking, 2nd and 4th quarters weren’t. It looked like two different offenses on the field.

What happened (confirmed by a player on the team) GA started the game calling plays, and it was a bit stunning. We looked completely different, moved the ball with no issue. Sr took over playcalling, we struggled. 3rd quarter GA took back over, Sr took the 4th.

IIRC we lost, think that was the game they just kept running wildcat plays and we couldn’t stop them.

GA could’ve kept them off the field, but Sr kept getting the itch to call plays because of what he was seeing on the field. For whatever reason it just wasn’t working. When Sr was “on” he was a great playcaller, but when it wasn’t working at times he got stubborn trying to force the Fun and Gun to work.

GA helped get the ZR started here, that’s ultimately what led to us winning a bunch of games. He coached a converted WR and a 2* QB into pretty prolific players, and he brought a guy in (Tanner McEvoy) who was a tremendous athlete. If we could’ve convinced him to stay and switch positions he could’ve been a star at WR or S.

GA could’ve kept them off the field, but Sr kept getting the itch to call plays because of what he was seeing on the field.
Steve wanted Connor to hit on long passes, which if we missed, set us up for 2nd & long. He was trying to run the score up and it backfired on him a few times.
GA may have been our best QB coach ever, but he did miss on some of his last QB recruits....Mitch was probably the worst, but he did get us some recruits out of NJ....McEvoy, Sheldon Royster, Damiere Byrd...as well as Ace Sanders, Buster Anderson, David Williams.....Shaw/Thompson.
He should also get credit for Michael Scarnecchia...which was an underused QB by our current staff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT