ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock ladies soccer beats NC State 2-1

Starting the Athletic season off right beating the 21st ranked Wolfpack in a national broadcast on the SEC network!

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
Great match. Fun to watch. Great winning goal by Elexa Bahr. The header off the corner kick to tie it was awesome.

I did not realize until the other day that Coach Shelley Smith has been here since 2000. She must be the longest tenured coach at USC after Berson.
.690 winning percentage as coach, and her teams have continued to improve year by year.

Great win last night over a good NC State team (which is especially pleasing to me as a Raleigh resident). This will be a fun bunch to watch this season.

The only real soccer being played at Carolina now.

Totally agree. I have been complaining for years that it is time for a change at the top of the mens program. Mark is an ambassador for the University, he will always be appreciated, and I have met him and like him as a person, but it is time for him to step down. Actually, that would have been about 5-8 years ago.

Totally agree. I have been complaining for years that it is time for a change at the top of the mens program. Mark is an ambassador for the University, he will always be appreciated, and I have met him and like him as a person, but it is time for him to step down. Actually, that would have been about 5-8 years ago.
To be honest, relevance will only return when the sport is recognized by the SEC. And as I have stated, we really ought to confine all our varsity sports commitment to what benefits us in the SEC. Keeping men's soccer now is of benefit only if it gives us a leg up when and if the SEC adopts men's soccer as a championship sport.

Reactions: GeoCocky
To be honest, relevance will only return when the sport is recognized by the SEC. And as I have stated, we really ought to confine all our varsity sports commitment to what benefits us in the SEC. Keeping men's soccer now is of benefit only if it gives us a leg up when and if the SEC adopts men's soccer as a championship sport.

Agree on the importance of SEC recognition. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to happen anytime soon given Title IX restrictions. Soccer is one of the sports that a lot of SEC schools use to balance their numbers, and it's not going to be a revenue generator so....

Same. My kid went through his camp for years, and I often have soccer players in my classes. So, I got to know him a little and have always enjoyed talking sports and other things with him. That said, it's time to pass the reigns. One reason why he's maybe kept on is $$$. His state paid salary is only $125,000, which is even way less than Shelley's ($173,000). I know he makes money from camps and other things, too, but he's a very cheap date in a non-SEC, revenue-negative sport.

Last edited:
I have been hoping for years now that he would step down, but to no avail. I would love for the SEC to have a mens soccer conference, but agree Title IX is why they probably never will...

Agree on the importance of SEC recognition. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to happen anytime soon given Title IX restrictions. Soccer is one of the sports that a lot of SEC schools use to balance their numbers, and it's not going to be a revenue generator so....
I would think the worldwide stature of the sport would mean something, especially since professional soccer has grown in the U.S - and will continue to do so. As for the women, USC ought to be fielding a gymnastics squad anyway.

1. This is a thread about women’s soccer, if you want to ruin a good thread by bitching about another sport start your own dang thread.
2. When you start that thread please include the fact that Berson had a very good recruiting class that includes 11 freshman! So either Berson is going to be here forever or there is already a plan in place for succession that those recruits were happy with. From the promotional material, statements by Caslen, and statements from meetings it appears to be the latter.

3. NCSU is a good team with at least two players who will make NWSL rosters. We were a little sluggish to start but part of that was they pushed very hard for the first 20 minutes. We dominated the last 70 minutes. Their keeper made two world class saves and we got unlucky with a bounce off the post. It could have easily been 5-1.
4. We won because of superior depth and conditioning. We made 6 subs in the first half with each sub playing at least 15 minutes. They made one sub and she played 6 minutes. We out shot them 7-1 in the last 25 minutes of the half. They were heavy legged the whole second half and We ran them silly.
5. The bad news is that as of now there is no dominant offensive player. Samantha Meredith who was expected to be in the rotation up front never got in the match. Her ball skills and height6’1” were expected to add a dimension we have been missing. She is not out of shape but she is not in the ultra fit shape of her teammates. Someone will need to step up and take leadership and be a consistent goal scorer for this team to make the final four

1. This is a thread about women’s soccer, if you want to ruin a good thread by bitching about another sport start your own dang thread.
2. When you start that thread please include the fact that Berson had a very good recruiting class that includes 11 freshman! So either Berson is going to be here forever or there is already a plan in place for succession that those recruits were happy with. From the promotional material, statements by Caslen, and statements from meetings it appears to be the latter.

3. NCSU is a good team with at least two players who will make NWSL rosters. We were a little sluggish to start but part of that was they pushed very hard for the first 20 minutes. We dominated the last 70 minutes. Their keeper made two world class saves and we got unlucky with a bounce off the post. It could have easily been 5-1.
4. We won because of superior depth and conditioning. We made 6 subs in the first half with each sub playing at least 15 minutes. They made one sub and she played 6 minutes. We out shot them 7-1 in the last 25 minutes of the half. They were heavy legged the whole second half and We ran them silly.
5. The bad news is that as of now there is no dominant offensive player. Samantha Meredith who was expected to be in the rotation up front never got in the match. Her ball skills and height6’1” were expected to add a dimension we have been missing. She is not out of shape but she is not in the ultra fit shape of her teammates. Someone will need to step up and take leadership and be a consistent goal scorer for this team to make the final four

Good summary. I thought it was a good night for our ladies. Even the announcers were commenting on the superior conditioning of our team. NCSU was tired towards the end but our ladies looked strong. Shelley Smith is a women's soccer rock star.

I agree with some of the comments on Berson. He has over-stayed his tenure. Still, i am sure its tough to recruit regionally against ACC schools where the conference competes in the sport. I am tired of losing to Clempson in men's soccer.

I also think the AD needs to invest more in The Graveyard. We have very strong soccer attendance and both teams are popular. The facility needs some sprucing up. They should install garnet chair back seats throughout, try to add some seats, and replace the cheap looking chain link fences around the field with a nice brick and iron look. Even the new locker room building looks like it was done on a tight budget.

Good summary. I thought it was a good night for our ladies. Even the announcers were commenting on the superior conditioning of our team. NCSU was tired towards the end but our ladies looked strong. Shelley Smith is a women's soccer rock star.

I agree with some of the comments on Berson. He has over-stayed his tenure. Still, i am sure its tough to recruit regionally against ACC schools where the conference competes in the sport. I am tired of losing to Clempson in men's soccer.

I also think the AD needs to invest more in The Graveyard. We have very strong soccer attendance and both teams are popular. The facility needs some sprucing up. They should install garnet chair back seats throughout, try to add some seats, and replace the cheap looking chain link fences around the field with a nice brick and iron look. Even the new locker room building looks like it was done on a tight budget.
There is talk of tearing down the hedge behind the goal on the visitor’s and putting in stands. The new locker/training facility may look nondescript from the outside but it has everything needed. I have toured it several times. Great locker rooms for each team. Separate Training rooms and film rooms for each team. Nice lounge, coaches offices and state of the art weight room. I thought they should have put a camera well and a “vip seating” on the roof

Reactions: 67gamecock

Lighten up dude. It's just a frustration driven humor. If they started a thread about men's soccer no one would notice. Speaks volumes about how good our women's program is.

There is talk of tearing down the hedge behind the goal on the visitor’s and putting in stands. The new locker/training facility may look nondescript from the outside but it has everything needed. I have toured it several times. Great locker rooms for each team. Separate Training rooms and film rooms for each team. Nice lounge, coaches offices and state of the art weight room. I thought they should have put a camera well and a “vip seating” on the roof

Good to hear.

Chil

Chill out dude... Have you not read read this message board before? Topics go astray all the time. Hell, at least we are still talking soccer... Mark is a great dude, but it is time to make a change. Shelley and Jamie have done a great job with the womens soccer program.. It wasn't in good shape at all when they took over. I also do believe the graveyard needs a new face lift. Fans are showing up for sure, make it a better place and experience for them.

Chil

Chill out dude... Have you not read read this message board before? Topics go astray all the time. Hell, at least we are still talking soccer... Mark is a great dude, but it is time to make a change. Shelley and Jamie have done a great job with the womens soccer program.. It wasn't in good shape at all when they took over. I also do believe the graveyard needs a new face lift. Fans are showing up for sure, make it a better place and experience for them.
Graveyard is already a great experience and yes some improvements need making. Visiting team locker rooms and seating behind the visiting side goal. Plans are in process on these

Same posters for the last five years posting the same messages on just about any significant thread about women’s soccer

Fire Berson
Berson has stayed too long
Why are we in a bad conference
Men’s soccer doesn’t count because the SEC doesn’t sanction it

They whine like people that have married too long and political snowflakes of all stripes.

My questions for them, since they kvetch so much
Last men’s match you attended?
Last men’s match you watched on Tv?
Name five players on the roster without consulting a roster? Bonus point to name all conference players
Have you contacted RT about your concerns?
Quit your ad nauseum whining and either support the program or get Berson retired

Good post, and I especially like the part about replacing the chain link fences with a 'brick and iron look'. USC has removed hundreds of feet of chain link fencing in the past 5 years or so, but more work needs to be done.

Last edited:
Graveyard is already a great experience and yes some improvements need making. Visiting team locker rooms and seating behind the visiting side goal. Plans are in process on these

Same posters for the last five years posting the same messages on just about any significant thread about women’s soccer

Fire Berson
Berson has stayed too long
Why are we in a bad conference
Men’s soccer doesn’t count because the SEC doesn’t sanction it

They whine like people that have married too long and political snowflakes of all stripes.

My questions for them, since they kvetch so much
Last men’s match you attended?
Last men’s match you watched on Tv?
Name five players on the roster without consulting a roster? Bonus point to name all conference players
Have you contacted RT about your concerns?
Quit your ad nauseum whining and either support the program or get Berson retired

Can speak for others, but as far as myself...

1. UAB (we actually won!) .
2. Wake Forest (last year)
3. Can't do that, nor get a bonus point
4. Yes, through email

If you don't put the answer that you are looking for, does that mean you can't have a legit opinion?

I officiate Club Soccer in the Fall so I miss most games, however I watch the ones I can on the SEC network and some opponents school sites. I also officiate high school soccer in the spring but try to keep up with the recruiting and any information that comes out concerning both men and women's teams...

Obviously I don't have the time or availability that you have to be as in-depth that you think one should be to have an opinion on mens soccer. I do know the last five years our record is 45W-45L and 5D. Probably the previous 5 years before that would be about the same also I am guessing. Not good.

I never said Fire him, heck, give him a position in the athletic dept. He is a good man and a great representative of SC. However, he has stayed too long... and should be replaced, in my opinion.

Enjoying the calm dialogue..... Go Cocks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT