ADVERTISEMENT

Garnet trust

cocean

Jan 27, 2006
Question...give donations to the garnet trust who in turn give the money to college athletes getting a free ride already? Do I have the facts straight?

They've already EARNED scholarships.
I understand what you are saying and don’t particularly like the direction the college landscape is trending toward. However, these athletes are also subjected to many other aspects outside of playing such as fan events, interviews, going to schools etc. They give a ton of time outside of practice and games toward the community. Since this is the way it is now, it is a way to compensate them for that time they spend.
Also, think how much money Rivals has made off basically the recruiting of high school kids. To me that’s always been a bit disturbing. Why should the athletes provide all this content for other people to make a living and not be compensated for it?

I understand what you are saying and don’t particularly like the direction the college landscape is trending toward. However, these athletes are also subjected to many other aspects outside of playing such as fan events, interviews, going to schools etc. They give a ton of time outside of practice and games toward the community. Since this is the way it is now, it is a way to compensate them for that time they spend.
Also, think how much money Rivals has made off basically the recruiting of high school kids. To me that’s always been a bit disturbing. Why should the athletes provide all this content for other people to make a living and not be compensated for it?
They get compensated a free education. A very very expensive education. Free room and board. Free food. Travel. Tutoring. A network of people to use for jobs and careers after college. It's a pretty good gig. They don't realize how much a free college education puts them ahead in life compared to someone who had to pay for theirs. It takes 20+ years for most people to pay off their college education.

This. Plus, I think it was back when Auburn won the national title someone reported Cam Newton's uniform included something like 16 corporate logos on it --- and his coach, his school and his conference were making money off the endorsements but he wasn't legally by NCAA rules.

I don't blame players a bit for trying to cash in. Once coaches started pulling in crazy money it seemed only fair players should also benefit from the $$ flooding bigtime college sports.

This is not a slight at the Garnet Trust or Mr. Shoemaker's efforts, just the NIL in general...but I find it ridiculous that, with all the money floating around college football, fans are now asked to give money that can be used to help lure high school students to their schools.

Nope.

This. Plus, I think it was back when Auburn won the national title someone reported Cam Newton's uniform included something like 16 corporate logos on it --- and his coach, his school and his conference were making money off the endorsements but he wasn't legally by NCAA rules.

I don't blame players a bit for trying to cash in. Once coaches started pulling in crazy money it seemed only fair players should also benefit from the $$ flooding bigtime college sports.
I get that, but with all of this money floating around, why am I asked to help fund it?

In the case of Garnet Trust...

• Performing sponsored media activities
• Attending fan events (in-person and virtual)
• Autographing items
• Endorsing products and services
They should be required to do these things anyway with their full scholarship. An out of state student will pay roughly $50,000 per year to go to college at USC. That's a decent paying job nowadays.

They should be required to do these things anyway with their full scholarship. An out of state student will pay roughly $50,000 per year to go to college at USC. That's a decent paying job nowadays.
Most college athletes, however, are NOT on full scholarships. They are on partials and still have to take out student loans/apply for grants to cover their other expenses. Yet they are still expected to do all these things listed.

They get compensated a free education. A very very expensive education. Free room and board. Free food. Travel. Tutoring. A network of people to use for jobs and careers after college. It's a pretty good gig. They don't realize how much a free college education puts them ahead in life compared to someone who had to pay for theirs. It takes 20+ years for most people to pay off their college education.
Compared to the million$ they help rake in for the coaches, athletic departments (that fund almost ALL the other sports combined) and universities overall, that money from scholarships is just pennies on the dollar, borderline chump change.

In other words, it's the cost of doing business.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
In the case of Garnet Trust...

• Performing sponsored media activities
• Attending fan events (in-person and virtual)
• Autographing items
• Endorsing products and services
Thank you shoe for giving us a way to give these young men a opportunity to earn extra money.

Reactions: Brian Shoemaker
I get it....just hope the regular Joes n Shmo's who donate their hard earned money, get a ROI...whatever that may be

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT