ADVERTISEMENT

Good lord kick a field goal to save the shutout.

I posted this in another thread…kicking a FG there would’ve been flat out embarrassing. It’s just something you don’t do. I’m already embarrassed. The shutout was embarrassing, no doubt. But a FG as time expired to lose 30-3 would actually be more embarrassing than playing it out and losing 30-0. The shutout is just a statistic. All that really mattered was a win or loss. But we kick that FG…we lose our dignity against our rival.

Ok, fair points everyone. I just hate hate hate losing to those sob’s and letting them have anything over us. Feeling bitter.

Reactions: 92Pony
What's 3 going to do for you? Gonna have a better week? When I was a child I felt like you. Kick the fg, at least not get shut out. Why is that important? I was all for kicking fgs against Kentucky but we needed points at the time instead of turnover on downs. I guess it was EXTREMELY important to you to lose 30-3 instead of 30-0. I'm disappointed that we lost convincingly, 3 pts wouldn't have made me less disappointed.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Why was the 3 important. The broadcast before next years game will start out the tigers shutout the Gamecocks at home to end the regular season and that just sux.

Reactions: uscwatson21
OK with your logic...then why was a TD important at the end? why not just neel on the ball at the end einstein?

Reactions: Lakecock1
I can see the validity to both sides of this argument, but in the end 0 or 3 is still an awful performance.

I posted this in another thread…kicking a FG there would’ve been flat out embarrassing. It’s just something you don’t do. I’m already embarrassed. The shutout was embarrassing, no doubt. But a FG as time expired to lose 30-3 would actually be more embarrassing than playing it out and losing 30-0. The shutout is just a statistic. All that really mattered was a win or loss. But we kick that FG…we lose our dignity against our rival.
Maybe the shutout will motivate the players going forward.....

• Sad
Reactions: usc1855
Kicking a field goal there would have been such a little b**ch move. How do so many folks here not understand that?
Capitulating to Dabo and letting him spend the rest of his life talking about the time he shut out the Gamecocks is the real “b” move.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Capitulating to Dabo and letting him spend the rest of his life talking about the time he shut out the Gamecocks is the real “b” move.
It's not capitulating. It's running the offense and trying to score a touchdown. Not kicking a meaningless field goal for the sole purpose of being able to say we didn't get shut out.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Eh, I'm not in favor. Kind of bush league to kick a FG just to take away the other team's shutout. Treat it like any other time and try to score the TD. If you're good enough, you'll score. If not, the other team earned the shutout.

Kicking a field goal there would have been such a little b**ch move. How do so many folks here not understand that?
The probability of a first down or TD was close to zero. The probability of making a FG to score was closer to 100. How do so many folks here not understand that? The goal is to score points. Not go for an impossible TD. I guess a ridiculous play to end the game makes you more of a man than taking the points. Whatever.

The only reason to do it would have been to get Parker closer to the all time scoring record. I still wouldn't have done it though... and I know Parker.

The probability of a first down or TD was close to zero. The probability of making a FG to score was closer to 100. How do so many folks here not understand that? The goal is to score points. Not go for an impossible TD. I guess a ridiculous play to end the game makes you more of a man than taking the points. Whatever.
^^^^^^^ This.

It’s pride on both sides. Get the points and don’t look like a fool vs go for it and don’t look like a p*ssy.

Well said, at the time I didn't agree. I'm glad our coach showed class.

I’m glad we didn’t kick it but I think our dignity was already gone unfortunately.

Personally I would have Run out our senior kicker and give him a shot with an extra point in the bowl game to set the record. Not to mention tears down the road it was 30-3, not 30-0. No one would
Remember it or even cared when we scored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT