ADVERTISEMENT

Help settle this debate

“Christmas in Hollis” by Run-DMC is part of the Die Hard soundtrack, therefore Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Subconsciously, most people can sense Die Hard is a Christmas movie on many levels. McLane represents a “Christ figure” who sheds his blood through his bare feet, to save the hostages, who symbolize sinners. McLane’s wife, Holly, represents the church, who has rejected McLane, but he pursues her anyway. The building with the money inside symbolizes the Tower of Babel. McLane casts terrorists off the building, which is imagery for either demons being cast out, or fallen angels. Gruber, like Satan, falls into the abyss in the end. Argyle and the limousine represent the transition to heaven. So, deep down, everyone knows that Die Hard is a Christmas movie.

Subconsciously, most people can sense Die Hard is a Christmas movie on many levels. McLane represents a “Christ figure” who sheds his blood through his bare feet, to save the hostages, who symbolize sinners. McLane’s wife, Holly, represents the church, who has rejected McLane, but he pursues her anyway. The building with the money inside symbolizes the Tower of Babel. McLane casts terrorists off the building, which is imagery for either demons being cast out, or fallen angels. Gruber, like Satan, falls into the abyss in the end. Argyle and the limousine represent the transition to heaven. So, deep down, everyone knows that Die Hard is a Christmas movie.
You mind sharing your source. You got some good good stuff. Way better than my guy. Roll 2, one for me next time.

And the 3-4 times I watched it I thought it was just the Hollywood version of a tough guy saving the day.

Who did the cop represent and who did the obnoxious reporter represent?

Woman moves across the country with her daughter to pursue her career leaving her blue collar husband behind. Husband comes across the country during Christmas time to visit. He finds out she is in trouble and helps her out of trouble. Then the husband, wife and daughter live happily ever after. It is a Hallmark Christmas movie with cursing, guns and killing.

And the 3-4 times I watched it I thought it was just the Hollywood version of a tough guy saving the day.

Who did the cop represent and who did the obnoxious reporter represent?
All of law enforcement, except for McLane, is John the Baptist. They had to “decrease” and let McLane take over. The obnoxious reporter is Doubting Thomas.

does not matter if it is or if its not. women are always correct and especially daughters are always correct.

My daughter and I debate each year this question. I am sure has been on here before but here goes:
Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
I say yes she says no
Yes, Christmas trees, Christmas party in the building, Christmas music and it takes place on Christmas Day...

Good enough of me...

Scrooge and Tiny Tim didn't die. Jacob Marley died of natural causes/old age.
I was referring to the "no body count" standard the other guy had. And most of the scenes depicting the other deaths -- in any version of the film -- aren't exactly heart-warming.

To settle this answer one simple question: If the same movie had been shot with a February 14th setting, would that have made it a Valentine's Day movie?

Reactions: atl-cock
To settle this answer one simple question: If the same movie had been shot with a February 14th setting, would that have made it a Valentine's Day movie?
A Feb 14th setting or a Valentines Day setting? Die Hard isn’t a Dec 24th setting. It’s a Christmas setting.

I doubt it. The plot is still more redemptive than romantic.

Is it a Christmas movie? I think the seminal question would be: is it only watchable at Christmas time? Anyone watching A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th Street, Elf, etc., any other time of the year?

Though thinking about it, maybe the question is: does it get you in the Christmas spirit?

to me, not a Christmas movie. You can watch it anytime of the year and watching it does not get me in the Christmas spirit.

That's deep.

Nah, with respect I can't agree. Chose the phrase 'body count' because it has connotations beyond 'somebody died at some point in the story' which isn't necessarily disqualifying by itself
It's really not a big deal. I'm honestly surprised this thread has gone on this long.

So, I'll keep it going and ask: Is Black Christmas a Christmas movie? 😁

Reactions: ThatGuyInJax
A Feb 14th setting or a Valentines Day setting? Die Hard isn’t a Dec 24th setting. It’s a Christmas setting.
I can't believe I have to clue anyone in on the fact that Valentine's Day is on Feb 14th and Christmas is on Dec 25th, but here we are.

Honestly I started this thread as a fun thread but it clearly as gotten some people going for sure. Let’s have some fun and not get to upset in this topic.
i will say though some responses have been awesome. Others need to lighten up a little.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT