ADVERTISEMENT

Herbert-Harrigan transferring

Uh oh.....somebody hide the sharp objects from @Horseshoe 04 !!

You referring to the reason she's leaving, or from simply clicking on a state link?
Both
giphy.gif

Reactions: Gradstudent
Take the belts and shoestrings from quite a few posters on here. Especially since they can't bash Frank for attrition in his program compared to the ladies anymore.

Reactions: Cbreezy33
Not surprised by LaDazhia, she played very little and almost no minutes when the game was contested. She wants to play and I wish her well.

Bianca is a quality person and good player who got recruited over(Cooper, Henderson, Beal) She will go and start somewhere for two years and average double figures. Hope it is a great story for her.

HH is a little more head scratching. With her physical ability she could be an All American. Why has this not happened? Not sure..... Confidence? She’s a tweener, have we not figured out how to get the most out of her? Is she fully committed? Has she balked at the coaching? Maybe a little of all of this.

I don’t think her story is through here. She won’t be able to be a grad transfer. That’s a real crap shoot to sit and only have a year. Cuevas-Moore was all ready to go to WVU and Dawn presented her with a different vision. That may happen here.

Williams leaving is not a surprise. Did not play much in two years and did not seem to adjust to big time D-1 ball from high school.
Jackson was buried on depth chart this year after starting as a freshman. She seemed to lose some confidence this year. I still think she could be good, but perhaps she doesn't think she could beat out the other returners and newcomers.
Herbert Harrigan is a bit of a surprise because she could become an All-SEC player.... however, she was taken out of starting lineup towards the end of the year and did not play for 1 half of one of the post-season games. So it sounds like there are some discipline issues there. Too bad because I think her senior year could have been really good with the young talent coming in, now she has to sit out a year. Doesn't seem like a good decision to me, but then again, only she and Dawn really know the reasons I suppose.

Williams leaving is not a surprise. Did not play much in two years and did not seem to adjust to big time D-1 ball from high school.
Jackson was buried on depth chart this year after starting as a freshman. She seemed to lose some confidence this year. I still think she could be good, but perhaps she doesn't think she could beat out the other returners and newcomers.
Herbert Harrigan is a bit of a surprise because she could become an All-SEC player.... however, she was taken out of starting lineup towards the end of the year and did not play for 1 half of one of the post-season games. So it sounds like there are some discipline issues there. Too bad because I think her senior year could have been really good with the young talent coming in, now she has to sit out a year. Doesn't seem like a good decision to me, but then again, only she and Dawn really know the reasons I suppose.
I was going to suggest that these girls would probably transfer out even MHH but I didn't want repercussions from some fans,you could just see HH wasn't happy and throw in the fact maybe some help from relatives.

Reactions: Brace1
Daz and Bianca Jackson transfer rumors have been around since February! It's no big deal! KiKi is a huge loss! When you get after it and produce like she did coming off the bench is frustrating if the player starting is Doniyah Cliney!

There are over 400 players in the transfer portal. Many of them great talent s. Coach Staley will have to land several!

As others above, Williams was the least surprising. Even with issues of being out-matched in the paint many times this past season, Williams - a sophomore - was never called on. At first I was reminded of Elem Ibiam - a big girl needing some time to develop her game - but even Ibiam started showing signs at the end of her sophomore season, and became a major contributor in the SECT and NCAAT that season, so much so that she continued and became a starter her Jr. season. Williams seems far behind that pace.

Being a highly-rated prep prospect, I imagine she wants to play and be a contributor somewhere. Perhaps transfer to a smaller non-P5 program where 6-4 posts are rare to come by. I wish her well.

Herbert-Harrigan and Jackson are more stunning to me. Kiki was a guaranteed primary starter and leader for the team next season. She brings a dynamic with scoring, rebounding, and shot-blocking that as others have stated above could have her contending for all-conference honors. She has been inconsistent in her past seasons, and have gotten herself in trouble in games with her "passion", picking up technicals for taunting and finding herself in foul trouble. But with maturity she was definitely in line to be a major anchor and leavening presence for the incoming talent for next season, and for the team's chances at success early on in the season while those kids find their footing. Hopefully as stated above, she changes her mind and returns.

In Jackson's case, her time at USC was almost unfair. Due to injuries to Cuevas-Moore and Lindsey Spann throughout the 2017-18 season, Jackson was relied on to be a starter and main perimeter shooter when she perhaps wasn't ready. Then this season, it went in the opposite direction, with Cuevas-Moore returning, plus Cooper, Perry, and Henderson adding to the equation, and now Jackson was not seeing much minutes, and was almost a forgotten player. It wouldn't surprise me to see her go back to playing for her mother, like others have posted. She'll be a star at Alabama-State, but I was hoping she'd have a bigger role this season with Cuevas-Moore and Perry gone.

We'll rely on those talented kids coming in much more than expected, now. Some have been hinting at some graduate transfers being added to the roster from other programs. I guess we'll see what develops now, as the depth of talent on the roster isn't that deep now...

I'm good with all of these moves. Don't get me wrong, they aren't trashing USC on the way out. I thank them for choosing us.

Jackson is a good player. Her 3pt% dropped this year which was probably b/c she was used more sparingly. She deserves to be on a team that can utilize her abilities more. She was not going to beat out our more athletic players based on ability to create a shot and defense.

Williams is obvious. She just couldn't get playing time. Saxton and Grissett played better than she did and we have some incredibly talented players coming in. I don't blame her if she wants to go some where and play. She's a good player and she deserves that.

Harrigan is the most talented of all of them. She's always come across to me as a selfish player. That's not always a bad thing. Allen Iverson was the same way. But she'd do better on a team where she's the clear #1. Often times she'd block a shot but stand around admiring it and get beat. That's not going to work when you're trying to win championships. I also didn't like the long range 2's early in the shot clock. It's a sign of a player that's tired or settling and is a lazy shot imo. She wasn't the only one but it just hurts the team when we don't get the best shot every time down against teams like MSU, UCONN, Baylor, etc. Maybe undisciplined is a better description than selfish but either way, I don't think this hurts the team.

Good luck to all of them and thanks for giving the Gamecocks a chance. Wish it worked out differently but good luck wherever you end up.

Last edited:
Ahhh, the new college athletics....dont get what you want? Transfer out!

4-5 years of this and fans all over are going to be getting tired of it.

Not sure what the solution is...

Reactions: cockofdawn
Wow!

Williams makes sense - I was actually looking forward to this. I think she needs to focus on easier conferences though

Jackson's time was cut because of the heavy guard play we had, but still didn't expect her to leave.

Harrigan was benched along with her 'sister' so I'm not surprised about her too much. Dawn don't have time for BS, and she obviously had deeper feelings about everything than we thought. Honestly, I don't think Kiki was behaving. Dawn took her out of the starting line up for one game then smiled in the press conference and said that the old line up is back in place. Maybe 'sister' Bianca was a bad influence towards the end. Although, she had the potential to be a good player she held herself back in the past, but, channeled her emotions and had her best campaign this yr. In the end you have to happy as an individual because it will help your overall game, better teammate etc, but leaving in your JR - seems like a waste.

This is a good opportunity to get solid post and forward grad transfers in. However, no disappointments like N. Perry - but ballers.

Last edited:
Is this for certain? I don't want to say something negative about a player and then they return. I guess I can always edit later. lol

I wish them all the best. I know some fans will be disappointed with Herbert Harrigan leaving, but I was never a big fan of hers. She's low energy, soft and sometimes exercises questionable judgement...but she has one helluva mid-range jump shot. Again, I hope she kills it somewhere else, as long as it's not against us.

I think the way to look at this is it opens up spots for players to transfer in. We could use a bruiser inside.

Also, if Coach has to shorten her rotation, that's not the worse thing that could happen.

You never could figure some of Dawn's line ups. She evidently felt Cliney was some kind of defensive wizard that scored about every 6 games. Harrigan was the only go to for a score on a jumper. Her defense was sometimes off but so were the rest. She will be missed.

Take the belts and shoestrings from quite a few posters on here. Especially since they can't bash Frank for attrition in his program compared to the ladies anymore.

I was mainly referring to Horshoe's affinity for the one he calls "Doll Face" ( for good reason).:D

As far as attrition comparison, I would bet it still isn't close.
And even if it were close, numbers-wise, Frank's transfers have been largely mis-evaluated projects who probably shouldn't have gotten D1 'ships (that's on CFM and staff) while Dawn's have been highly-rated recruits who couldn't fight through other highly-rated recruits to get PT.

Not to worry much- the new Gamecock way is stressing recruiting way over actual coaching (Muschamp, Kingston, Staley .... I guess Martin is the outlier here, at least among the 4 most attended sports)

Discontinue awarding athletic scholarships and confine everything to club and intramural sports.

. . . but . . . but if we did that, and football was made a 'club' sport, then the NFL would have to set up a farm system (like MLB does now) and that would cost the pro owners gobs of money and those BIG time first rounders might have to settle for thinner bonuses and contracts . . .

Reactions: coolcock2001
. . . but . . . but if we did that, and football was made a 'club' sport, then the NFL would have to set up a farm system (like MLB does now) and that would cost the pro owners gobs of money and those BIG time first rounders might have to settle for thinner bonuses and contracts . . .
Not the colleges' problem.

It's tough to lose KiKi! But Dawn will fill all three scholarships with better players!

I already looked at it. I found it pretty sickening.

Why is this a suprise or sickening? This is a good “problem” to have. We have the #1 class coming in. Many on ESPN and other sport networks are calling this the best recruiting class ever. Of course you are going to have players wanting to transfer. Duh

Reactions: MScott64
Not to worry much- the new Gamecock way is stressing recruiting way over actual coaching (Muschamp, Kingston, Staley .... I guess Martin is the outlier here, at least among the 4 most attended sports)

This statement makes zero sense. First of all, Muschamp has not had any top 15 recruiting classes. He has definitely out coached his recruiting so far. Jury is out on Kingston. But, it’s only his 2nd year. Give him a chance. Staley is an excellent coach. She won a SEC champ and national championship without Coates (injured). She completely changed the philosophy and game plan (with very little time to adjust). This year was considered “over achieving” to make the sweet 16 with the loss of A’ja and no dominant presence in the paint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT