ADVERTISEMENT

Honest expectations going forward ??

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
Ok I’ll say it .... I was extremely excited and had high expectations coming into this year . Experienced QB , Dynamic Playmakers, a Defense sure to improve , one of the easiest schedules in recent memory ... Then UGA and Kentucky happened . So here’s the question . What are our realistic expectations for the next two years?? Gotta admit next year is looking like a very long and painful year. Champ is gonna get two more years even if he’s caught drowning puppy’s so buckle up . UF canned him after 4 blah years , they did the same to Shark Hugger . LSU and Auburn ran their coaches after so so years even with National Titles on the resume . Are we gonna just stay what we’ve been for 100 years or try to become a real SEC Football school?? Either way those stands are gonna be packed and the $$ will keep rolling in . Where will we honestly be in
2020??

Based on our history we will be right where have always been. A 5 to 8 win team. I don't see anything changing. Getting rid of a coach is easy to say on a message board. But who would come here? We don't need recycled coaches. Hire someone who is young and talented. Our AD can do this following the right process.

Reactions: clark#
The good thing is there is a new crop of coaches in college football. Our hire will be an unproven coach, but hopefully one with potential.

If, and that’s a big IF, we did let Muschamp go after the 2020 season, our next coach should walk into a pretty decent situation. The big IF is whether or not we give Muschamp a pass with the difficult rebuild and schedule over the next two seasons and evaluate his progress on that potential 6th season. I say no...but if we still have a coach as our AD I would think that would be his preference.

Winning seven games a year here is different than winning seven a year at UF unfortunately. Our program's attitude is there's always next year and at least we made a bowl.

Winning seven games a year here is different than winning seven a year at UF unfortunately. Our program's attitude is there's always next year and at least we made a bowl.
I think that may be the attitude of about half our fanbase. 20 years ago, 7 wins and a bowl would have been seen as a successful season, but that is not universally true within the fanbase any more. A 7-5 record next year, with some embarrassing beatdowns at the hands of UGA, Bama, and Clemson will mean a ton of empty seats for the other games.

Reactions: Pole and sclawman77
No coach should get a free pass to anything no matter what the reason. Let alone scheduling or rebuilding.

He's paid almost 5 million a year plus incentives to win.

This is a classic example of my saying that the fanbase embraces apathy and mediocrity.

Absolutely right

I would think with all the building of facilities our admin is expecting more from the football program. I guess we will see if after 2 more years we are still in mid November searching for a bowl bid.

Based on our history we will be right where have always been. A 5 to 8 win team. I don't see anything changing. Getting rid of a coach is easy to say on a message board. But who would come here? We don't need recycled coaches. Hire someone who is young and talented. Our AD can do this following the right process.

Wonder why our women’s bb team is better than our history. Hmmmm. Must be the right coach
Wonder how Alabama and LSU won their last national championship. Coaching (saban)

right where have always been. A 5 to 8 win team. I don't see anything changing. But who would come here? We don't need recycled coaches. Hire someone who is young and talented. Our AD can do this following the right process.

jbouton ... Not disagreeing or arguing, at all, in fact, basically agree. Just pointing out that this was attempted with Sparky Wood, Darren Horn and Chad Holbrook. You might even include Fat Brad Scott and FF Frank. I'm not including Fast Eddie Fogler because of his mental breakdown or 'One for the Road' George Felton. Where the hell Richard Bell came from can only be answered by those who hired King Dixon.

But I do disagree with ... "A 5-8 win team". Take away Spurrier and how many years, in our football history, did we win 8 or more games???

Last edited:
jbouton ... Not disagreeing or arguing, at all, in fact, basically agree. Just pointing out that this was attempted with Sparky Wood, Darren Horn and Chad Holbrook. You might even include Fat Brad Scott and FF Frank. I'm not including Fast Eddie Fogler because of his mental breakdown or One for the Road George Felton. Where the hell Richard Bell came from can only be answered by those who hired King Dixon.

But I do disagree with ... "A 5-8 win team". Take away Spurrier and how many years, in our football history, did we win 8 or more games???

I disagree. I think you need to look more at recent history. We have a much better name and facilities than we did years ago. I think we will always be in the 6 to 9 win range with a few random seasons going above that when we get lucky by getting in state 5 star recruits like Clowney. We should have three out of conference wins each season plus win at least 2 out of three vs Vandy/Kentucky/Missouri. That is five alone right there with six other games on our schedule where we will play some teams having down years (ole miss and tenn this year).

Besides, Clemson has to get caught some day for all of this money they are paying their players. Just kidding. We'll get punished for baking cookies for the players again.

right where have always been. A 5 to 8 win team. I don't see anything changing. But who would come here? We don't need recycled coaches. Hire someone who is young and talented. Our AD can do this following the right process.

jbouton ... Not disagreeing or arguing, at all, in fact, basically agree. Just pointing out that this was attempted with Sparky Wood, Darren Horn and Chad Holbrook. You might even include Fat Brad Scott and FF Frank. I'm not including Fast Eddie Fogler because of his mental breakdown or 'One for the Road' George Felton. Where the hell Richard Bell came from can only be answered by those who hired King Dixon.

I probably was stretching the 8 wins :D

The good thing is there is a new crop of coaches in college football. Our hire will be an unproven coach, but hopefully one with potential.

If, and that’s a big IF, we did let Muschamp go after the 2020 season, our next coach should walk into a pretty decent situation. The big IF is whether or not we give Muschamp a pass with the difficult rebuild and schedule over the next two seasons and evaluate his progress on that potential 6th season. I say no...but if we still have a coach as our AD I would think that would be his preference.
Correct champ goes nowhere till possibly after 2021 and thats only if we fail miserably.

Champ may indeed get it going here.

But to be successful here will require every detail to be gone over. At some places recruiting is easy. They don’t have to call that 5 star 20 times. Here they do. In game coaching must be on point. Because half the teams we play have more talent. And that part won’t change. So we must make up in areas we can compete.

hell, If Muschamp could average 8 wins a year at SC.. they should built a statue of him outside WB stadium

I thought after closing last season with a bang we were heading in the right direction and have to say this year is not what I expected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT