ADVERTISEMENT

How bad are we perceived to be?

We are bad and to think otherwise is delusional. I imagine no one else that follows the SEC cares or respects any aspect of our football program. Sad but true. Be honest, we don't think squat about Missouri football, yet they've run circles around our program since joining the SEC.

If UVA had players they would beat Clemson. Coaching is THE most important criteria when building an athlete or program. I think our argument back in 2015 has bitten us on the backside. “Gotta recruit better” which was on the level of “helps on the way”. While recruiting is important I swear it seems that many fans today are more concerned with that than the game. Surprised there’s not tailgating on signing day now. Sorry scoreboard matters and the game matters with coaching being the critical element to success.

If UVA had players they would beat Clemson. Coaching is THE most important criteria when building an athlete or program. I think our argument back in 2015 has bitten us on the backside. “Gotta recruit better” which was on the level of “helps on the way”. While recruiting is important I swear it seems that many fans today are more concerned with that than the game. Surprised there’s not tailgating on signing day now. Sorry scoreboard matters and the game matters with coaching being the critical element to success.

Agree a 100%. It is the coach (like the economy) that matters. You can get a team of all 5 stars and you hire Muschamp as their coach and valla! you have a losing season. Worse still you couple RT with WM and you have a clueless duo each making decisions and millions!! Those paying are the state of SC, taxpayers, and the students.

Reactions: howard13
First random fans don’t like that our mascot is a chicken and we call ourselves gamecocks

We had 3 really good years, thats about it out of 27 seasons in the SEC...we aint shit but with the right Coach we cld be
We quit being relevant when Spurrier hung it up . Lou and Spurrier were the only reasons whatsoever. The days those two stepped on campus people took notice . The day Muschamp stepped on campus everybody laughed
You are right about Lou and Spurrier bringing us to the fore, same with JoMo, his pedigree played into his success. Muschamp, however good or poor he ends up being, came here as a failed head coach. People outside of Columbia stopped paying attention then. Its going to take years of winning or another revered name to get us attention.Meanwhile we just need to win more than we lose. That would be a good start.

The perception is that we are not really serious about football. We have the facilities and the conference, but we lack the leadership. That's why it is perceived to be career suicide to come here and coach.

Mike McGee changed that for awhile by hiring Holtz then Spurrier. It looked like we were serious. But when we replaced Eric Hyman with Ray Tanner which led to the awkward end to the Spurrier years it confirmed what had been suspected. We aren't really interested in winning. Just the accouterments.

First random fans don’t like that our mascot is a chicken and we call ourselves gamecocks
Right. We need to change the brand, the mascot, the colors - everything. And to answer the original question, I believe the national perception of us is 100% negative.

Last edited:
Wow? Are we Alumni, Fans, Paying Club Members, Boosters, People that take it on someone else so you can bash and feel better? It seems like everyone on this board is looking for negativity.

It’s sad. I remember when it was like to be a Gamecock! I remember when fans and true fans stuck together. You can’t choose your family. But I chose to go to the University of South Carolina. And I am damn proud of it. Living in Florida now, I still am proud to be a Gamecock!

Just be proud of the University you graduated from!

Do I like the decisions made...No. But I will support them. Just like they supported you when you received your degree. You chose to go to the University of South Carolina...that means something!

Wow? Are we Alumni, Fans, Paying Club Members, Boosters, People that take it on someone else so you can bash and feel better? It seems like everyone on this board is looking for negativity.

It’s sad. I remember when it was like to be a Gamecock! I remember when fans and true fans stuck together. You can’t choose your family. But I chose to go to the University of South Carolina. And I am damn proud of it. Living in Florida now, I still am proud to be a Gamecock!

Do I like the decisions made...No. But I will support them. Just like they supported you when you received your degree. You chose to go to the University of South Carolina...that means something!
Very proud to be a gamecock. But as far as sports go, we are just another team that people generally don't pay much attention to most of the time. We have never sustained success, and until you do that, well, outside of the state and alumni, we're just another team.

The perception is that we are not really serious about football. We have the facilities and the conference, but we lack the leadership. That's why it is perceived to be career suicide to come here and coach.

Mike McGee changed that for awhile by hiring Holtz then Spurrier. It looked like we were serious. But when we replaced Eric Hyman with Ray Tanner which led to the awkward end to the Spurrier years it confirmed what had been suspected. We aren't really interested in winning. Just the accouterments.

Hyman would never allowed the Spurrier era to end that way. With Ray how could it not end that way?

There is a difference between supporting the Gamecocks versus supporting a regime that’s causing them to be one of the laughing stock of college football.

the sad truth is a loss us the Gamecocks is an embarrassment to another program who strives for success like UGA.

Last edited:

They didn’t support me when I received a degree !!! I paid for it . I paid ALOT for it . It was a business transaction plain and simple . Same with this Athletic Dept . They make an insane amount of money and they are expected to succeed . Why should we support mediocrity ?? Do you continue to frequent a restaurant when the food sucks time after time. Blind loyalty is a death blow to a program . Why should there be any change for the better if we accept failure ?? The reason we are so upset is because we still care .... for now . I know a lot of us quit watching or attending games ,not because we are upset , but because we just don’t really care anymore . When Apathy sets in you become Vanderbilt or Wake Forest . Sorry I respect your loyalty but I just don’t think blind support is killing this program .

So bad that our rival coach is helping our terrible HC keep his job. If he weren’t, he would’ve done exactly what he did tonight, and I truly believe he likes Bronco, and detests Moose. UVa would beat us easily still, and their game against Tech wasn’t a fluke either. Clemmons is finally in 5th gear, and cruising about 100. They’ll be in 6th gear when they play OSU and/or LSU and/or the 4th scrub. It won’t matter. They will smoke any of the 3. Be prepared for another NC.

They didn’t support me when I received a degree !!! I paid for it . I paid ALOT for it . It was a business transaction plain and simple . Same with this Athletic Dept . They make an insane amount of money and they are expected to succeed . Why should we support mediocrity ?? Do you continue to frequent a restaurant when the food sucks time after time. Blind loyalty is a death blow to a program . Why should there be any change for the better if we accept failure ?? The reason we are so upset is because we still care .... for now . I know a lot of us quit watching or attending games ,not because we are upset , but because we just don’t really care anymore . When Apathy sets in you become Vanderbilt or Wake Forest . Sorry I respect your loyalty but I just don’t think blind support is killing this program .

But you had a choice. You could have gone to UGA, Florida, Virginia, Coastal, Clemson...you made that choice to go to the University of South Carolina. So you had a free ride everywhere else? It’s called life. We all had choices and we still do.

It’s just sad to see, hear and know that there are sad people. I’m sorry you don’t like your almumater’s football team. Think about the big picture. It’s about the players, the kids. Not us. The negativity is just so overwhelming.

But you had a choice. You could have gone to UGA, Florida, Virginia, Coastal, Clemson...you made that choice to go to the University of South Carolina. So you had a free ride everywhere else? It’s called life. We all had choices and we still do.

It’s just sad to see, hear and know that there are sad people. I’m sorry you don’t like your almumater’s football team. Think about the big picture. It’s about the players, the kids. Not us. The negativity is just so overwhelming.
Look at it this way, FLcock93, the only way we got Holtz and Spurrier was a total meltdown over Brad Scott. The difference then was we had an AD (Mike McGee) who knew he needed to think differently and go outside the box with both of those guys. Holtz was a real coin flip, but he got us on ESPN, and Spurrier just happened to be there. I will agree with you, the anger this time has a much louder and meaner tone. But, that's just our new, ugly society. It is sad. You don't have to be ugly to agree or disagree. You and I and a lot of others know that.

This is exactly the kind of thoughtless post that I have seen some others make - I graduated from Carolina so I must support all the crap that the AD does, even if he is running the programs to the ground. After all all true Gamecocks should do this...,,, blah! Blah!

True Gamecocks, in my mind, should stand up now and say enough is enough. As Clemson soars we dig ourselves a larger hole. Stand up and be counted. Don’t let your alma mater sink so that it never resurfaces.

It's not that we don't like the current stateof affairs. It's that we are dying for us to be better and relevant. Especially when we've seen how good we can be -- with the right leadership.

And that's why it feels like a gut punch when we see what the leadership and coaches we have now have allowed this program to become.

Reactions: SOSUSC
In my little very humble opinion we royally screwed up promoting the best baseball coach in the country to AD. Just bc he is a FANTASTIC baseball coach means nothing else!! All revenue generating sports minus WBB have gone downhill/plateaued.,etc and unfortunately WBB doesn’t generate much,
#stuckinmediocrity

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Well Bama had players (more & better) than klem and didn't come close to beating them. And I think it's acknowledged (right or wrong) that Saban is better than swinney. Don't know I'd agree with you on this one.

I wish we were Wake Forest

I stopped reading at this post. This guy ^ is wise indeed. Game day is just a party, without regard to the outcome of the sports contest. It's merely a social media event now, a photo op to show folks that "I was there, we had a blast even though we lost." As long as the money keeps rolling in, our executives have little need to expect a winning program. OBC said it best, and often
..it is what it is, and so forth.

I stopped reading at this post. This guy ^ is wise indeed. Game day is just a party, without regard to the outcome of the sports contest. It's merely a social media event now, a photo op to show folks that "I was there, we had a blast even though we lost." As long as the money keeps rolling in, our executives have little need to expect a winning program. OBC said it best, and often

“It is what it is”. So many people I know hated hearing that from Spurrier, but at least he wasn’t dodging it. When he got beat he went to work tirelessly to ensure It didn’t happen again.

But the top recruiting classes keep going to the playoff... it’s the chicken and egg question..gotta build momentum (again) and they feed each other. We have fallen way down from our 3 year run though...I will state the obvious. Should have cleaned house this year but we have a great baseball coach as AD and Pres is to fresh to ruffle so many feathers I guess. Delaying the inevitable though.

@SOSUSC "Worse still you couple RT with WM and you have a clueless duo each making decisions and millions!!"
How did we wind up with those two? Someone is deliberately sabotaging our sports pgm. How else to explain it? There's no way McGee or Hyman would have hired WM. USC with RT as AD is the only SEC pgm that would have hired him after his disaster at Fla.
I doubt even Prairie View would hire RT as AD or WM as HFBC. USC is the laughing stock of the entire sports world. We have no way to go but up.
I wish we were Wake Forest
Laughing I agree with you. At least they were in top 25. We have sunk below WF. That's impossible but it's true.

Which teams would USC beat as a member of the ACC? Lemmee see uh, hmmm........
Would probably have the same record we do now as a member of the SEC.

If our esteemed AD and President had fired WM we would have had a shot at Norvell.

In my little very humble opinion we royally screwed up promoting the best baseball coach in the country to AD. Just bc he is a FANTASTIC baseball coach means nothing else!! All revenue generating sports minus WBB have gone downhill/plateaued.,etc and unfortunately WBB doesn’t generate much,
#stuckinmediocrity
It’s very similar to promoting a great coordinator to head coach. The jobs are so completely different that success in one certainly does not guarantee success in the other. It’s a crap shoot for both the team and the coach. I think Venables understands that so he’s perfectly content to do what he loves and make millions doing It. I’m not sure that looking for a hot coordinator at a hot team is always the best way to approach looking for a head coach, and I certainly don’t think looking for a head coach to run an athletic department is the best idea.

Right. We need to change the brand, the mascot, the colors - everything. And to answer the original question, I believe the national perception of us is 100% negative.
In one of my business courses in college we studied the impact of perception. Case point.
Mercury (cars) hired a consulting company to inquire about their perceived national image. After gathering all the data, the overwhelming response was "Gentlemen, you don't have an image".
See where I'm going.

Reactions: king ward
Everyone (including myself) thinks Tanner and the Board are idiots, but maybe they’re evil geniuses. Let’s face it, the primary goal of the athletic department is to generate revenue. USC is 16th on the list of public schools. Why spend money to buyout a coach if the revenue is rolling in regardless? USC will never be Alabama, LSU, Georgia or Florida, so why spend money trying to be? I think Ray is content to count the cash while he maintains the status quo.

Reactions: gpcocks

In a post above the point was made that there is a difference between supporting leadership and supporting the Gamecocks. I love the Gamecocks and always will. However, I don't like the job Tanner and Muschamp are doing. I don't like the direction the men's basketball and baseball programs are going right now either. Those latter two must change this year. (post-season play) The negativity is a normal and direct result of losing.

Everyone who had been paying attention to college football over the last decade knew this would happen when we hired Muschamp. I remember when I first heard that Muschamp would be our coach. I was disappointed. But after Muschamp's opening press conference I hoped and prayed he had learned from his mistakes. It does not appear that is the case. He is repeating the same pattern he showed at Florida. Could he get it right in years 5 and 6? Yes, but the possibility is small.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT