ADVERTISEMENT

If Chad comes back next year, what are the expectations?

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
Apparently just making the tournament is reason to celebrate with Chad at the helm these days. Under Tanner, making the tournament was a given. Making it to Omaha was reason to celebrate. So what are next year's expectations? And please don't respond with "we sure are greedy fans". Tanner built the dynasty. It's his job as AD to not let it slip. Bertman wouldn't allow it at LSU.

I feel like, based on Rays comments on the radio last week, that Chad will in fact be back. However, we are losing alot of pitching and not much coming back that has had opportunity to prove itself much. The hitting hopefully cant get much worse. I think we will be much the same but if Chad comes back, something MUST be done to address the hitting. We have to be better at hitting with men on base and in scoring position. We need more than just one or two hitters with an avg over .300. Almost every other team has 4-5 it seems. We have 1-2 maybe. That is where we need to improve, especially if pitching is not going to be as strong. Please tell us who the hitting coach is as well.

The odds are not in his favor. Loss of pitching and the continued battle with hitting is next year.

I feel like, based on Rays comments on the radio last week, that Chad will in fact be back. However, we are losing alot of pitching and not much coming back that has had opportunity to prove itself much. The hitting hopefully cant get much worse. I think we will be much the same but if Chad comes back, something MUST be done to address the hitting. We have to be better at hitting with men on base and in scoring position. We need more than just one or two hitters with an avg over .300. Almost every other team has 4-5 it seems. We have 1-2 maybe. That is where we need to improve, especially if pitching is not going to be as strong. Please tell us who the hitting coach is as well.

+1 our hitting (or lack thereof) just makes you scratch your head.

Might as well put this here: after watching us hit into a potential rally-killing, game-ending double play in game two, I just chuckled. I normally get mad. Like really $*&%$ mad watching us lose, especially like that, but when we tried to pull that low and away fastball instead of going with it and trying for an opposite field hit, I literally let out a little chuckle. Cuz I knew what was going to happen. Same as during the last few innings of Sunday's game. And the past couple of months for that matter. You know what's coming and you just have to chuckle. I don't like feeling this way, but it is what it is (ha!).

Yes, i have beat this like a dead horse. But, we will lose all of our pitching. Why would we be better atleast on paper.

tumblr_inline_nn2o27xnSW1rbu2cc_500.gif

About same as this year. Some of the close losses may flip our way, but nothing major. My concern will be pitching depth and development from this year. We will see if JM is good as advertised.

If we're not hosting a regional, then why are we even playing at this point. Our team used to be a mainstay of at least hosting a regional. Host a regional, make the supers, I'm happy. But not even hosting in the first round? We have to get to Omaha to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: jonesz21
I think a Super Regional appearance should be the baseline expectation every year. We are that kind of program where that is realistic year-in-year-out.

Next year will be interesting. We have to figure out the weekend rotation with no Schmidt or Crowe. losing some good arms in the bullpen too. I expect the offense will be much improved (how could it not) with these talented Fr/Soph's having another year under their belts.

I still think we go to a Super this year but obviously nothing is a given at the moment. This was supposed to be a team poised for an Omaha run but it feels like a long-shot from where we're sitting. I hope we're all wrong, though.

Regardless of who is at the helm next year there will be tough questions to answer.

My expectations are pretty set year to year. Top 2 in the East, 40 wins, host a regional. This means unless upset our team should be in a super regional. Who knows happens from there? Some years we are Omaha bound. Others are like last year. We were the better team in the supers last year but Okla. St. buzz sawed us with their pitching. Demanding Omaha for next year is an angry and arbitrary, prove it or get fired response to this very disappointing season. I WANT CH TO SUCCEED! At this point he has not done so. Let this year play out. If he is back I will still hold to my expectations.

Reactions: atl-cock
I think a Super Regional appearance should be the baseline expectation every year. We are that kind of program where that is realistic year-in-year-out.

Next year will be interesting. We have to figure out the weekend rotation with no Schmidt or Crowe. losing some good arms in the bullpen too. I expect the offense will be much improved (how could it not) with these talented Fr/Soph's having another year under their belts.

I still think we go to a Super this year but obviously nothing is a given at the moment. This was supposed to be a team poised for an Omaha run but it feels like a long-shot from where we're sitting. I hope we're all wrong, though.

Regardless of who is at the helm next year there will be tough questions to answer.
What gives you even a glimmer of hope for a super? It would be a huge surprise to win 2 games in a regional IF we make the tourn.

How do you get to a super when you don't make the post season?

Apparently just making the tournament is reason to celebrate with Chad at the helm these days. Under Tanner, making the tournament was a given. Making it to Omaha was reason to celebrate. So what are next year's expectations? And please don't respond with "we sure are greedy fans". Tanner built the dynasty. It's his job as AD to not let it slip. Bertman wouldn't allow it at LSU.

If Holbrook is retained (i don't think he will be), it will assure more top5 recruiting classes and more disappointing teams that fail each May...Nothing will change if we bring Holbrook back...A change must be made to save the program

If Holbrook is retained (i don't think he will be), it will assure more top5 recruiting classes and more disappointing teams that fail each May...Nothing will change if we bring Holbrook back...A change must be made to save the program
I wouldn't count on more top 5 classes!

We might miss the play-offs with what has been some pretty good recruiting classes. I'm a little scared to think what might happen if the recruiting starts to actually drop off. Now's the time for Tanner to step up and make the change. With the right coach, we're not so far removed from 2010-2012 that we can't get back on top quickly. However if we wait much longer, it's going to be more of an uphill climb.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs

If Chad comes back, Tanner should be put on notice.

My expectations are that I'll be watching a lot less Gamecock Baseball. I'll have more time for yard work and a new hobby. Can anyone teach me the art of lathing?

Definitely the 2018 excuse.

You a very rational poster and fun to read...I doubt you truly believe Tanner is going to allow this thing to crash and burn before he makes a change...I personally believe our AD will resolve this issue the only way it can be done about a week after the season ends in two weeks

You a very rational poster and fun to read...I doubt you truly believe Tanner is going to allow this thing to crash and burn before he makes a change...I personally believe our AD will resolve this issue the only way it can be done about a week after the season ends in two weeks
I feel the same.

If he is back next year the expectations should be to try and win 1 game in every series.
Try and win one game in each SEC weekend series and half of the middle of the week games which is what we are basically doing now so by doing that we won't be any worse than this year. Seriously, i think Tanner has to make a coaching change after the season is done if we don't make it to Omaha which i don't think we will.

Hoping Holbrook goes. He has created an offensive philosophy based on the sacrifice bunt and always playing for one run. It's not a winning strategy; good teams can defend a bunt; and fans don't want to watch it.
I think his limitations in coaching were also on display this weekend against LSU. Probably our best hitter (Cortes) was up, with runners on 1st and 3rd and one out; and their pitcher struggling. Runner steals second, which on the surface seems okay; but allows LSU to walk Cortes. Maybe they walk Cortes unintentionally anyway. So LSU brings in a new pitcher to face our RH batter, and I'm not sure we scored after that. I believe Coach has to think about who he wants hitting in that situation: Cortes versus tiring RHP, or someone else. Hindsight is definitely 20/20, but we seem to be making all of the wrong decisions, every weekend.

If we're not hosting a regional, then why are we even playing at this point. Our team used to be a mainstay of at least hosting a regional. Host a regional, make the supers, I'm happy. But not even hosting in the first round? We have to get to Omaha to make it worthwhile.

A little history lesson on hosting Regionals:

2005 lost in regional at Ga Tech

2006 won regional in Charlottesville

2007 hosted won regional lost in Super Regional at Chapel Hill

2008 lost in regional in Raleigh

2009 lost in regional in Greenville NC - East Carolina

2010 hosted and won regional

2011 hosted and won regional

2012 hosted and won regional

2013 hosted and won regional

2014 hosted regional - lost

2015 No regional