ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring back any recent President right now

well, that is because of ONE justice- Kennedy. Without him, it would have certainly been changed.

Right. That's what I heard before Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which was heard under a SCOTUS with eight justices appointed by (R)'s, including five that were appointed in the 80's or 90's.

This is such a nice thing to see a fellow human being actually put on paper. You should have been one of these.

tenor.gif

Right. That's what I heard before Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which was heard under a SCOTUS with eight justices appointed by (R)'s, including five that were appointed in the 80's or 90's.

and as I said, without kennedy, roe would likely be overturned.

This is such a nice thing to see a fellow human being actually put on paper. You should have been one of these.

If you support abortion, why do you care what people think about aborted babies? You are willing to kill them. He just spoke badly about them. Seems you are the worse of the two.

Reactions: Expro19
and as I said, without kennedy, roe would likely be overturned.

Except all five that upheld Roe in Planned Parenthood v. Casey were appointed by (R)'s, and the majority of those five were appointed in the 80's or 90's. You also now have five justices appointed by (R)'s, with the only holdover from PP v. Casey being Thomas.

So are we going with testing supplies from Italy because they’ve been so successful or because they’ve just given up?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/air-force-flew-500000-coronavirus-test-kits.amp

I went with this source because I figured any other outlet and half the people in this thread would say it wasn’t true.

It's not some unique test that was developed in Italy or something. It's just supplies that are used built test kits. Lots of things aren't made here anymore or storage in the volumes needed for something this big.

Why would anybody be upset about that?

I wonder how many abortions Trump has paid for in all his years of philandering and pussy-grabbing?
What does Trump have to do with the argument that Christians cannot support abortion? Trump might be a decent president but he wouldnt know a true Christian if they slapped him upside the head! :)

1) I doubt anyone cares who you personally think is a Christian in your eyes -outside of your family and friends and they might not care either. Heck, I know people that say the same thing about Trump, and my answer is the same.

3) medical decisions like abortion are best left to individual people and their medical providers, not government officials, and people who think they should be making medical decisions for people they don’t know. Every situation is different.

That’s why a majority of Americans believe that abortion services should be legal, limited, and hopefully rare.

Not up to me personally, and I dont care if anyone cares what I think. Last I checked, free thought and discussion is allowed here. I am basing my statements on what has historically been the cornerstone of the Christian faith - the Bible - and what it says. You cant read the multiple verses regarding life and God's hand in every life and how he knew us in the womb or the verses that speak of what happens to those who harm a child or the biblical stance on other topics that intersect with the abortion argument and tell me that from a Biblical, Christian standpoint, the creator is ok with abortion in any way, shape or fashion.

It's not some unique test that was developed in Italy or something. It's just supplies that are used built test kits. Lots of things aren't made here anymore or storage in the volumes needed for something this big.

Why would anybody be upset about that?
You have to admit that the perception of getting tests from the country who has done the worst job handling this is pretty funny.

You have to admit that the perception of getting tests from the country who has done the worst job handling this is pretty funny.

They are not getting "tests". They are getting just the swabs and tubes you put the swab in after being used. The actual testing is done back in the lab with reagents that have nothing to do with Italy.

Just like putting Pirelli tires on your Honda doesn't make it a Ferrari.

Look, I'm not pro-abortion or anything.. but why do Christians care so much about babies in the womb and so little about them after they're born?

Christians care very much about babies after they are born. Look at all of the work Christians do for children.

Except all five that upheld Roe in Planned Parenthood v. Casey were appointed by (R)'s, and the majority of those five were appointed in the 80's or 90's. You also now have five justices appointed by (R)'s, with the only holdover from PP v. Casey being Thomas.

That’s true but 5 now have a history of statements on overturning. Trump said the ones he would appoint would result in the overturn. It’s a bit different.

I get your point. But I’m not sure Reagan ever wanted to outlaw abortion.

Not up to me personally, and I dont care if anyone cares what I think. Last I checked, free thought and discussion is allowed here. I am basing my statements on what has historically been the cornerstone of the Christian faith - the Bible - and what it says. You cant read the multiple verses regarding life and God's hand in every life and how he knew us in the womb or the verses that speak of what happens to those who harm a child or the biblical stance on other topics that intersect with the abortion argument and tell me that from a Biblical, Christian standpoint, the creator is ok with abortion in any way, shape or fashion.

Right, but the Bible is not US law. Tens of millions of Americans are not Christians and do not look to the Bible for advice, or how to live their life, or how to interpret law.

Christian based pregnancy support centers that discourage abortion are great. Christians who counsel women to not get abortions are doing good work.

Using the government and laws to prevent a woman from making the choice she decides on for her and her family when that counsel fails or doesn’t convince a woman to choose another option is not the best approach in my opinion.

As I have said, changing Roe won’t stop abortion. It will just prevent that option for poor women.

For years until Irish voters repealed their 8th amendment, thousands of Irish women travelled to the UK for abortions- at least women with money. Poor women couldn’t do that, some tragically died. In 2012 Savita Halappanavar, a young irish woman requested a termination of her pregnancy when she presented while miscarrying at Galway University hospital was denied on grounds that the risk was only to her health and not to her life. It was denied per the law against abortion. She died of sepsis as a result. This is just one example.

Last edited:
Reactions: xTHExNERFxHAMMERx
If you support abortion, why do you care what people think about aborted babies? You are willing to kill them. He just spoke badly about them. Seems you are the worse of the two.
You dont know chit son...produce the proof of your earlier statements and stop hi.
you dont know me and i dont care to know you. You clearly would love Trump like the Nazi did Hitler. So just find me the info you been cramming down peoples throats for 2 days. I never said i supported abortions and I never say things like the pussy cat said.

That’s true but 5 now have a history of statements on overturning. Trump said the ones he would appoint would result in the overturn. It’s a bit different.

I get your point. But I’m not sure Reagan ever wanted to outlaw abortion.

The same claims were made against O'Connor and even Souter for god's sake. After Brennan left the SCOTUS there was all sorts of angst that Souter would get the court caught up in an eddy of conservatism. Because Kennedy was a Roman Catholic and personally opposed to abortion that was reason for activists to bleat about his confirmation to the court.

As far as Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, Kavanaugh has made quite clear the importance of precedence both in opinion and in practice; the latter notably in Garza v. Hargan when he was still on the D.C. Court of Appeals. I think his views on the importance of precedence are flawed, but he's on the SCOTUS, not me. Gorsuch is kind of a bore in that you can't get a read on his views, other than in his confirmation hearings he noted that Roe “has been reaffirmed many times.”

The same claims were made against O'Connor and even Souter for god's sake. After Brennan left the SCOTUS there was all sorts of angst that Souter would get the court caught up in an eddy of conservatism. Because Kennedy was a Roman Catholic and personally opposed to abortion that was reason for activists to bleat about his confirmation to the court.

As far as Kavanaugh and Gorsuch, Kavanaugh has made quite clear the importance of precedence both in opinion and in practice; the latter notably in Garza v. Hargan when he was still on the D.C. Court of Appeals. I think his views on the importance of precedence are flawed, but he's on the SCOTUS, not me. Gorsuch is kind of a bore in that you can't get a read on his views, other than in his confirmation hearings he noted that Roe “has been reaffirmed many times.”

You could be right that neither new justice will outright overturn Roe. In fact, they might not get a case to do that specifically. But the result will be the exact same.

The easier path for both of them will be to make overturning Roe a moot point, and both seem to ready to do that. After all, they would not have been selected otherwise.

Right, but the Bible is not US law. Tens of millions of Americans are not Christians and do not look to the Bible for advice, or how to live their life, or how to interpret law.

Christian based pregnancy support centers that discourage abortion are great. Christians who counsel women to not get abortions are doing good work.

Using the government and laws to prevent a woman from making the choice she decides on for her and her family when that counsel fails or doesn’t convince a woman to choose another option is not the best approach in my opinion.

As I have said, changing Roe won’t stop abortion. It will just prevent that option for poor women.

For years until Irish voters repealed their 8th amendment, thousands of Irish women travelled to the UK for abortions- at least women with money. Poor women couldn’t do that, some tragically died. In 2012 Savita Halappanavar, a young irish woman requested a termination of her pregnancy when she presented while miscarrying at Galway University hospital was denied on grounds that the risk was only to her health and not to her life. It was denied per the law against abortion. She died of sepsis as a result. This is just one example.

Up until the last 50 years, this country was based on judeo Christian ethics. Was it perfect? Far from it. We should be trying to go back there instead of getting further away. Those back alley abortion numbers by the way have been greatly exaggerated. Still don’t believe that makes it ok to legalize the slaughter of millions of innocent babies, most of which are done out of convenience, to save a handful of women.

Up until the last 50 years, this country was based on judeo Christian ethics. Was it perfect? Far from it. We should be trying to go back there instead of getting further away. Those back alley abortion numbers by the way have been greatly exaggerated. Still don’t believe that makes it ok to legalize the slaughter of millions of innocent babies, most of which are done out of convenience, to save a handful of women.

Well, we are an ever increasingly secular society. We also now have many different religions very much different than 50 years ago.

Judeo Christian ethics means different things for different people based on how they were treated when those “ethics” were supposed to have been practiced.

well, I am sure you think back alley abortion numbers are exaggerated. That’s classic confirmation bias.

Again, I’m all for reducing abortion numbers. I simply don’t want the government involved in that decision anymore than they are now. I prefer it be up to the woman and her doctor, not politicians.

plus, as I have said, banning abortion will never happen. Some states would love to ban it, but other states will never do that and will react in the opposite direction.

Dr Deborah Birx of the task force (the coronavirus task force coordinator) just said that some the early test developed in other countries had a large number of false positives and negatives.

Here's a story about her. An Obama appointee that Trump kept.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/coronavirus-dr-deborah-birx-hiv-aids

Anybody want to claim she is incompetent and lying for Trump?

Qiagen's commercially available testing kits that were available to us, five weeks before the CDC's assay was developed, are still be used globally. If you can share a video or other evidence where she spoke specifically about this kit - this kit that was offered to the US in February but Trump declined - where she states that the Qiagen assay has any more variability in results that the CDC's kit, please share.

You could be right that neither new justice will outright overturn Roe. In fact, they might not get a case to do that specifically. But the result will be the exact same.

The easier path for both of them will be to make overturning Roe a moot point, and both seem to ready to do that. After all, they would not have been selected otherwise.

Anything short of a direct challenge to Roe would not be the exact same. A tangential case, such as the one regarding a Louisiana law presently before the SCOTUS(June Medical Services, LLC v. Russo) could severely restrict abortion in states with a similar law, but I would bet large sums it fails with both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. Kavanaugh in particular due to his Constitutionally and intellectually limiting views on precedence. Just because the Court made a flawed decision in the past doesn't mean it should stand. Longevity of a poor ruling doesn't mean it's sound law.

Anything short of a direct challenge to Roe would not be the exact same. A tangential case, such as the one regarding a Louisiana law presently before the SCOTUS(June Medical Services, LLC v. Russo) could severely restrict abortion in states with a similar law, but I would bet large sums it fails with both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. Kavanaugh in particular due to his Constitutionally and intellectually limiting views on precedence. Just because the Court made a flawed decision in the past doesn't mean it should stand. Longevity of a poor ruling doesn't mean it's sound law.

I doubt that. Roberts might go the other way on the Louisiana case overturning the law, even though he would have to do some serious backpedaling given his other decisions along this line (Texas)

Roberts is the main one concerned about looking like he is a rubber stamp for trump.

Last edited:
You dont know chit son...produce the proof of your earlier statements and stop hi.

you dont know me and i dont care to know you. You clearly would love Trump like the Nazi did Hitler. So just find me the info you been cramming down peoples throats for 2 days. I never said i supported abortions and I never say things like the pussy cat said.
So you get to tell posters that they should have been one of the aborted babies but Bobby Foosball can't have an opinion on your statement.. Oh ok.

I applaud your post a whole hell of a lot.

And, since since you are a Republican and I used to be, may I ask what the heck happened to the GOP? I tend to blame Newt Gingrich and his brand of a----holishness for a lot of the problems we face in getting Congress to work, but in fairness it takes two to tango.

(I'm no Democrat now, nor a Liberterian -- more of an independent if I'm anything. I've had my fill of partisan yahoos pointing fingers).

You're pretty much right, but it goes back much further than Gingrich. Movement Conservatism dates to the 1950s. Really gathered steam in the 1960s and 1970s (southern strategy, law-and-order, silent/moral majority, etc.). Full expression realized in 1980. Malignancy established in 1994. It has been steeply downhill ever since.

The next Republican good idea will be the first since the 1950s. The next Movement Conservative good idea will be the the first.

Not very recent, but I would pick either FDR or Ike. Both demonstrated the ability to unite people in times of trouble to get big stuff done. That's what's required by the present emergency. Obama would be a good pick, too, as the Great Recession had some similarities to our late conditions, and the response, though not perfect, smoothed, hastened, and solidified the recovery significantly.

Well, we are an ever increasingly secular society. We also now have many different religions very much different than 50 years ago.

Judeo Christian ethics means different things for different people based on how they were treated when those “ethics” were supposed to have been practiced.

well, I am sure you think back alley abortion numbers are exaggerated. That’s classic confirmation bias.

Again, I’m all for reducing abortion numbers. I simply don’t want the government involved in that decision anymore than they are now. I prefer it be up to the woman and her doctor, not politicians.

plus, as I have said, banning abortion will never happen. Some states would love to ban it, but other states will never do that and will react in the opposite direction.

Anti-choice activists don't give a rip about abortion rates. If they did, proper sexual education and free public access to the best contraceptives would be the first items on their agenda. Moreover, excellent access to post-natal care and provisions would be extremely important to someone who claims properly to be "pro-life." No, all they actually care about is asserting control by means of shoving their retrogressive religious ideologies down everyone else's throats. Their arguments are tired boilerplate nonsense that can't be believed by a thinking person.

Not very recent, but I would pick either FDR or Ike. Both demonstrated the ability to unite people in times of trouble to get big stuff done. That's what's required by the present emergency. Obama would be a good pick, too, as the Great Recession had some similarities to our late conditions, and the response, though not perfect, smoothed, hastened, and solidified the recovery significantly.

FDR was an effete, self aggrandizing, easily duped monkey. Further, he was a heartless, inexcusable bigot. He allowed a quick witted, imperialist alcoholic to charm him into war, and a cunning, soulless dictator to flatter him into imprisoning half of Europe. The only thing he demonstrated was that you can't count on polio when you need it.

FDR was an effete, self aggrandizing, easily duped monkey. Further, he was a heartless, inexcusable bigot. He allowed a quick witted, imperialist alcoholic to charm him into war, and a cunning, soulless dictator to flatter him into imprisoning half of Europe. The only thing he demonstrated was that you can't count on polio when you need it.

Well, those were certainly words that make syntactic sense when arranged in that order.

However, I think I'll go with the professional opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...s_of_the_United_States#Scholar_survey_results

Reactions: SCexpat38
I love how FOX News has changed its tune on the actual validity of COVID19, two weeks ago it was a Democratic hoax and fake news to bring the President down. My only questions are how in the world were we not better prepared with enough masks and ventilators when we could see this coming for months prior to it landing on our shores? Its almost too late to ramp up production now, this should have been done months ago.

Reactions: funktavious
I agree there is no perfect way but there was a wrong way and making flippant incorrect statements was certainly it. That initial reaction led to an overreaction which everyone is now paying for.
and the wrong way was saying that the number of cases would go down from 5 to 0 and that the virus would magically go away. He told people they could go to work since their symptoms would be mild. From the look of him now when he's on TV, I don't think he's even in charge anymore. He reports things and then they send out a memo saying that he misspoke. I honestly believe he has put someone else in charge and just states what they report to him. Unfortunately he can't even seem to get that correct.

and the wrong way was saying that the number of cases would go down from 5 to 0 and that the virus would magically go away. He told people they could go to work since their symptoms would be mild. From the look of him now when he's on TV, I don't think he's even in charge anymore. He reports things and then they send out a memo saying that he misspoke. I honestly believe he has put someone else in charge and just states what they report to him. Unfortunately he can't even seem to get that correct.

Correct.

And our testing system is still not adequate. Even some of the docs on Fox News are saying that now.

we were caught with our pants down on the testing. My sister is an RN at a hospital in South Carolina. She told me last week our testing infrastructure for this virus was awful, and not prepared.

Reactions: Dizzy01
I just wish Democrat President now were like JFK. Telling their constituents to Ask not what they can get but what they can give.

Who would it be?

I realize this is a sports forum, but I’m just trying to pass the time like the rest of you.

No matter who you voted for in 2016, I imagine that most of us would pick someone else to handle this crisis. For instance, I would take George W in a heartbeat right now. I thought he handled post 9/11 pretty well.

TDS much dude? TDS-24/7/365. Don't you have a bridge to go crawl back under?

Well, those were certainly words that make syntactic sense when arranged in that order.

However, I think I'll go with the professional opinion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...s_of_the_United_States#Scholar_survey_results

A cadre of misinformed and/or politically driven cattle, mooing an opinion with no basis in reality. Don't worry, plenty of smart people have foolish beliefs. And it is also impressive that you can find a point of view on which Churchill and Stalin would both agree.

You may find some dissent from the tens of thousands of innocent Japanese-Americans herded into concentration camps, or the thousands of jews heartlessly rejected by FDR and left at the mercy of fascism. I think the opinion of an innocent citizen, wheezing his last breath from tuberculosis due to poor medical care in one of those monuments to his bigotry, has a level of expertise more valuable than one colored by political inclination or patriotic vigor.

Enlighten the millions of Europeans left to the whims of Marxist sewer rats like Stalin of the virtues of your despotic idol. How many great men and women had their potential smothered by the cold, wet blanket of Marxism, just because they were caught on the wrong side of a prison wall constructed by European liberals?

To his credit, his achievements are remarkable when you consider the lack of a heart or brain, but the notion of FDR as a great President and person are a figment of your diseased imagination.

A cadre of misinformed and/or politically driven cattle, mooing an opinion with no basis in reality. Don't worry, plenty of smart people have foolish beliefs. And it is also impressive that you can find a point of view on which Churchill and Stalin would both agree.

You may find some dissent from the tens of thousands of innocent Japanese-Americans herded into concentration camps, or the thousands of jews heartlessly rejected by FDR and left at the mercy of fascism. I think the opinion of an innocent citizen, wheezing his last breath from tuberculosis due to poor medical care in one of those monuments to his bigotry, has a level of expertise more valuable than one colored by political inclination or patriotic vigor.

Enlighten the millions of Europeans left to the whims of Marxist sewer rats like Stalin of the virtues of your despotic idol. How many great men and women had their potential smothered by the cold, wet blanket of Marxism, just because they were caught on the wrong side of a prison wall constructed by European liberals?

To his credit, his achievements are remarkable when you consider the lack of a heart or brain, but the notion of FDR as a great President and person are a figment of your diseased imagination.

Something tells me you don’t like FDR. LOL

thankfully your view is a minority (and obviously extreme) view. With all his faults, FDR was a remarkable leader at a terrible time for the country.

this is where I have a little in common with trump supporters because many of them realize how terrible a human being trump is, but they like some of his policies.

but we know FDR will always been seen as a great American President because of what he endured and the mistakes he overcame to get to the right result in the end. Heck, maybe trump can do that too.

As a confirmed moderate Democrat for life, all I can say is thank goodness Trump had the economy roaring at such high levels prior to this virus. It's because of that that we can even absorb this hit. It'll still hurt, but if we had the Obama-era economy it would have been absolutely crippling.

As a confirmed moderate Democrat for life, all I can say is thank goodness Trump had the economy roaring at such high levels prior to this virus. It's because of that that we can even absorb this hit. It'll still hurt, but if we had the Obama-era economy it would have been absolutely crippling.
You might want to reword that...Trump inherited a roaring economy and didn't somehow screw it up. The unemployment rate was around 10% during Obama's first year and got it down to around 4.5% when Trump took over. For the record I didn't vote for him in either Term but felt like he did a OK job. Each of the last few presidents have had some sort of catastrophe during their administration...and everyone of them took full responsibility. But not good ole Trump. Dude is blaming everyone else but him. What a great leader...smh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT