ADVERTISEMENT

Is it OK to panic yet?

It's the 2nd game. Do it if you want. It doesn't really look good 2 months later, but that's the beauty of the Internet.

Reactions: shiverz
No panic yet! The final four team had some embarrassing losses. There is plenty of time to mold this group into a decent team. It might not happen. But we'll see.
Refresh my memory? I know we were all pissed about losing to Clemson and Memphis. But that was direct result of our "athletic department policy" suspension of Thornwell. I wouldn't consider them embarrassing though.

Reactions: jonesz21 and sadd66
I wouldn’t panic yet. FM just needs to rethink some things. Lawson, Bryant and Campbell can play, and they can play well together. Needs to get Silva out of the deep post and back to working out of the high post and elbow. Find a rotation that keeps Gravett off the court and hide Minaya on defensive when he’s in. Figure out if he can get anything from Kotsar or Haase on any given night.

If he keeps playing Gravett and Minaya heavy minutes, this won’t end well.

Reactions: sadd66 and shiverz
1p707j.gif

Not sure what everybody is so upset about. Except for one unexpected three week hot stretch, the program has been mediocre, or worse, for Frank's entire tenure. And I am not sure Frank is the problem. Fogler had those two good teams that choked away consecutive years in the tourney then he couldn't get it back on track. Odom was the king of the NIT. Horn did nothing. USC basketball just has very little tradition, and is a hard recruiting sell. If you are a big time recruit from SC, and you have the opportunity to go to a Duke, UNC, etc., you are probably going to one of those schools to be on the big stage also. Just a total lack of hardly any tradition outside of that three week NCAA run that everyone thought was the fluke of flukes. I wish we were better, but if you fire Frank what superstar does anyone think is coming to Columbia to turn things around. We have tried just about every personality type as head coach and can find zero consistency.

I agree with midline.
Coach Martin is not going to build a consistently good BBall program here and no one else is either.
Might as well stick with him.
For goodness sakes tho don't outbid any other school who he claims wants him more.
Carolina can get his type of results for a lot less.

UNC lost to Wofford last year in Chapel Hill...so get a grip people
We are going to lose to Wofford THIS year. They are a much more likely tournament team than we are and have been for a decade. I'm not being funny.

Our football and basketball programs have the same problem. They both have several traditional powers right in their backyard. Until we can break through with titles or near championships nothing will change. We had our chanced in both sports and missed the opportunity. Spurrier arguably had the team to get us there, but we couldn’t win the big game at the right time. Martin couldn’t build on the Final Four run.

Both Martin and Muschamp are coaches who can deliver a consistent winning program. Frankly, that’s more than what we’ve had in our history. We can build momentum with these two coaches, but it will take a lot more than that to get us over the hump. I see both of these coaches as builders who give us the chance to attract an even better coach and group of recruits - that’s what it will take to win titles.

Our football and basketball programs have the same problem. They both have several traditional powers right in their backyard. Until we can break through with titles or near championships nothing will change. We had our chanced in both sports and missed the opportunity. Spurrier arguably had the team to get us there, but we couldn’t win the big game at the right time. Martin couldn’t build on the Final Four run.

Both Martin and Muschamp are coaches who can deliver a consistent winning program. Frankly, that’s more than what we’ve had in our history. We can build momentum with these two coaches, but it will take a lot more than that to get us over the hump. I see both of these coaches as builders who give us the chance to attract an even better coach and group of recruits - that’s what it will take to win titles.

How did you determine Frank Martin could deliver a consistent winner? Muschamp maybe but not Martin. He got lucky with the Final 4 and didnt land one big time recruit on the momentum and many good players left our state. Hes not the coach for us

I'll just say that if there is a significant amount of attrition the next couple of seasons, that's no longer bad luck, and I question if Frank Martin can ever assemble a solid foundation.

Again, it takes a while for a team to help with new players. There is some good talent on the team. I think by the end of the season fans will be optimistic, but if the players start transferring again, I don't think I gave the patience for that.

One huge difference: Muschamp can recruit, Martin can not.

Reactions: king ward
Playing Silva in the crunch time may help too. I’ve supported Frank all along but having your best player on the bench at the end of a close game is inexcusable. You think any star player would want to come here and deal with that??

If you watched the presser, CFM addressed this saying that Chris wasn’t guarding the ball screen at all and was a liability defensively. (Down the stretch) He wanted the play the players that gave us the best chance to win. As shocking as it is, CFM said that the freshman had more fight in them. None of the veterans played well...PERIOD

If you watched the presser, CFM addressed this saying that Chris wasn’t guarding the ball screen at all and was a liability defensively. (Down the stretch) He wanted the play the players that gave us the best chance to win. As shocking as it is, CFM said that the freshman had more fight in them. None of the veterans played well...PERIOD

I saw that. I’m still not losing to Stony Brook without my preseason 1st Team All-SEC player on the court. If nothing else it’s Frank’s fault that Silva was a liability on defense. He’s only been here 3 years. I get his point, but I think at times Frank gets in his own way. One of the reasons you sit someone is so you can coach them on the sideline. Was nobody doing that with Silva last night? I’m going to have a hard time being convinced we had our best team on the court without Silva out there. If that’s truly the case then we probably do have the wrong guy...

Again, why would Zion Williamson want to come play for Frank Martin knowing he may be on the bench during crunch time of a close game? Because that happens here. No way Coach K does this at Duke. He may make them go a week with no Duke gear after losing, but during the game he’s going to play his best players.

Which again comes to Frank’s style of play. Can’t ignore it. The players we need to turn this around aren’t going to come play in this system. I’ve long been a Frank supporter and defender. I hope we get it turned around and that’s what Im pulling for. But losing to Stony Brook at this point in his tenure is really really hard to defend. I gave him a break on the teaching moment during the Augusta Exhibition. But then he turned around and did it again 2 games later??? This loss will be on our resume if we somehow find ourselves on the bubble (can’t see that happening).

Last edited:
Again, why would Zion Williamson want to come play for Frank Martin knowing he may be on the bench during crunch time of a close game?

Because CFM wants to win and doesn’t play people who are not getting the job done. If a freshman is better then they will play.

How did you determine Frank Martin could deliver a consistent winner? Muschamp maybe but not Martin. He got lucky with the Final 4 and didnt land one big time recruit on the momentum and many good players left our state. Hes not the coach for us
You tell me what he didn't do. Or what Horn did do. Or what consistency we've had over the last 15 years. I'm waiting...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT