ADVERTISEMENT

Is the "Hit" administered by Jadeveon Clowney, known as the #1

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
hit ever made in all of football regardless of the level of football? I read or heard somewhere from a national football expert, the play made by Clowney against Michigan was the most pulverizing hit of all time in football, period.

I don't know if it holds that distinction or not but if it isn't the # 1 hit of all time it would have to be close to being the greatest hit of all time.

Last edited:
I'd give him that. UF had a safety (major something) knock a Oklahoma player in the bcs nc game. But that was a typical db vs wr hit.

Clowney took it to a OL then hit the rb behind the line and caused a fumble. And honestly he had a chance to recover and run it back.

...Still the hardest of all time IMO was Jack Tatum's hit on Darryl Stingley. Devastating hit and it was legal.
I'm glad you brought that up. The results were terrible, but he hit was legit at the time. That Jungleboi hit up at UPC was one of my favorites, although his celebration brought a ticky-tac penalty.

hit ever made in all of football? Regardless of the level of football?

My friend, with all due respect ... How can you ask such a question?

Was not Clowney a GAMECOCK?
Is he not a home grown, Rock Hill, SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCK?
Was he not selected with the NUMBER ONE PICK in the NFL Draft?
Did he not inflict this punishment now KNOWN as "THE HIT" upon an infidel from the Big Ten (with what 14 teams in 11 states???) directly after a Blind referee errantly awarded a first down (TWICE!!!) to Michigan, that was at least 4 inches short?
And Iast, do you lack sufficient inner soul to believe in the adage that when the legend grows greater than the facts, print the legend?

BUT .... to answer your question ... That Hit was harder than Richard Petty's hit against the pit road wall at Darlington and Vince Smith's helmet is still rolling down I-75.

LOL ... How in the world did that happen... Oh! Well,

Sheldon Brown on Reggie Bush gets my vote. Sheldon went through him. Bush tried to walk off the field, then dropped down on all fours and tried to crawl off. Despite this, there was no serious injury.

I remember in the Patriots and Texans playoff game last year and there was a play on the goal line where Brady was about go in from about the 2. However JD had dropped off the line and was heading to close that hole. I have never seen a qb slide down faster. I would have loved to see what could have happened had Brady not slid

Chuck Bednarik hit on Gifford is the one that most old school fans would say. Apparently he knocked him out of the game and the following season as well. At least that's what I remember.

Sheldon Brown on Reggie Bush gets my vote. Sheldon went through him. Bush tried to walk off the field, then dropped down on all fours and tried to crawl off. Despite this, there was no serious injury.
What made that hit so impressive was that it was an absolutely perfect open field tackle. That tackle could be used in instructional videos on how to tackle.

Jack Tatum hit on Earl Campbell at the goal line. Big Earl scored anyway but he was out cold as a cucumber when he landed on his back in the end zone.

Reactions: acmnni1
I'd give him that. UF had a safety (major something) knock a Oklahoma player in the bcs nc game. But that was a typical db vs wr hit.

Clowney took it to a OL then hit the rb behind the line and caused a fumble. And honestly he had a chance to recover and run it back.
OL barely (if at all) touched Clowney

Reactions: Cjjs
hit ever made in all of football? Regardless of the level of football? I read or heard somewhere from a national football expert, the play made by Clowney against Michigan was the most pulverizing hit of all time in football, period.

I don't know if it holds that distinction or not but if it isn't the # 1 hit of all time it would have to be close to being the greatest hit of all time.
hit ever made in all of football? Regardless of the level of football? I read or heard somewhere from a national football expert, the play made by Clowney against Michigan was the most pulverizing hit of all time in football, period.

May not be the greatest hit of all time but it ranks up there near the top. With today's media coverage, it certainly has gotten the most coverage over the last four years. Didn't it set a record for ESPN play of the day for something like five months? Maybe I'm wrong on that but it was impressive.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
when you take all the factors involved, SC had just gotten screwed on a Terrible First down call, SC was behind very late in the game, the turnover, Bowl game, etc etc it very well could easily be considered "The Hit" of all time IMO.

Like you said, the circumstances of the previous play, the outcome being on the line late in the game, and the "Hit" itself really set up a dramatic scene.

It's a great hit, but it's kind of hard to judge. Go back and look at some of the licks laid by Jack Tatum, Dick Butkus or Jack Lambert ....

Lawrence Taylor, Mike Singletary .... Willie Lanier ....

Dick Butkus would get arrested if he played today.

Reactions: acmnni1
hit ever made in all of football regardless of the level of football? I read or heard somewhere from a national football expert, the play made by Clowney against Michigan was the most pulverizing hit of all time in football, period.

I just remembered this person's version of the "Hit" on ESPN. A former Pro player, who played for 15 years in the NFL whose last name was Taylor who played most of his career for Miami stated and I'm paraphrasing, in my entire career as a Pro I did not ever deliver a hit nor did I ever see a hit delivered like the one by Clowney.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT