ADVERTISEMENT

Its time to make changes

Did some folks get drugged over the weekend and found their way to the message board?
Nope, but I have listen about every deion sanders interview lately. There's no difference between the NFL and College football now. The average length of a career is the exact same around 4 years. At both levels these kids are gonna try to make as much money as they can in that 4 years. If you are not trying to buy the best players, your program isn't trying to win a championship.

Then we need to get rid of everything except football. Everything else loses money.

I think the guys who are beating the drum on this need to go be NFL fans only. I dont think college sports is for you.
Men's Basketball makes money. Unless the SEC men's basketball tv contracts have changed.

I thought title 9 pertained to scholastic amateur sports. College sports isn’t a amateur sports anymore. Especially when average salary is around 7 figures for power 5 starting QB.

EXACTLY!!!! Plus, how much is tuition now?? Appx $20,000? With NIL, just cut all scholarships. Let NIL pay their bills. The with 0 scholarships you dont need any womens scholarships to meet title IX. Surely if these players are worth that much and are in that high demand they can find an NIL for $30-40,000 by this weekend. Then USC spends all its $$ only on football perks to more properly meet the needs of the players

EXACTLY!!!! Plus, how much is tuition now?? Appx $20,000? With NIL, just cut all scholarships. Let NIL pay their bills. The with 0 scholarships you dont need any womens scholarships to meet title IX. Surely if these players are worth that much and are in that high demand they can find an NIL for $30-40,000 by this weekend. Then USC spends all its $$ only on football perks to more properly meet the needs of the players
Somehow, I believe most of you are still missing the picture. There is no women's or men's sports anymore. Ask the Penn (formerly) women's swim team. The women's rights advocates have now become so woke, that they are in support of men competing on women's sports teams. As long as you can declare that there are formerly male students that now identify as female, you have achieved equality.
As far as I'm concerned, football can go away. I have learned to do without NBA, NFL. I can certainly do without college football and basketball. Hockey will be next. I can find a place to watch old 80's 90's games for various colleges where you could actually learn your team's players names and watch them develop from year to year. That seems to be no more. NIL and transfer portal will have ruined what used to be college football. Acceptance of that is my first step to moving on. Sadly.

Reactions: Cybercock
Maybe they would. But that transfer portal kid who is shopping around his talents will see it and it might land him. Remember this is college football in 2022, NOTHING matters other than appeasing the wishes of players and giving them everything
Uh Huh.

UT Coach: Hey son, nothing against USC, but here at UT we feel we're on the verge of bringing some serious hardware home, and we think you may be the one piece to put it all together.
USC Player: Thanks coach, I'm very flattered, however, here at the 5* restaurant, they make a pork loin in a port reduction sauce that is just to die for, so I guess I'll stay.

Uh Huh.

UT Coach: Hey son, nothing against USC, but here at UT we feel we're on the verge of bringing some serious hardware home, and we think you may be the one piece to put it all together.
USC Player: Thanks coach, I'm very flattered, however, here at the 5* restaurant, they make a pork loin in a port reduction sauce that is just to die for, so I guess I'll stay.
You’re assuming this same NIL/portal garbage isnt creating the same fallout at UT and everywhere else. It is. UT will have a dining hall fit for a literal king for these superstar pro athletes. 20 yrs from now we wont have a winning football season ever again if we dont embrace this lunacy now. No matter how absurd the idea may be, if it pampers the life of an 18 yr old football player, we better do it

We need to assess all sports. If it doesnt make money, end it. That budget needs to go to showering the football players with whatever ricbes the school can. Gourmet dining. Luxury housing. Maybe their own concert hall where we book star talent just to enterain players. Book JayZ like 10x a year just for them.

Its time they get what they truly deserve

You’re assuming this same NIL/portal garbage isnt creating the same fallout at UT and everywhere else. It is. UT will have a dining hall fit for a literal king for these superstar pro athletes. 20 yrs from now we wont have a winning football season ever again if we dont embrace this lunacy now. No matter how absurd the idea may be, if it pampers the life of an 18 yr old football player, we better do it
No I'm not assuming anything, or for that matter taking this debate seriously, I am employing satire.
(as post # 14, 37 & 48 should have made evidently clear)

I thought title 9 pertained to scholastic amateur sports. College sports isn’t a amateur sports anymore. Especially when average salary is around 7 figures for power 5 starting QB.
We need to take some of the money we spend on our alsoran men's sports and give it to the women sports. they know how to recruit and win games

There's no reason for us to feild female sports teams now. It's nothing but a waste of money without a return. That's money we can use for NIL deals for football or basketball players. We are a Minor league program now. We finished strong in football. And Are better players have showed, that don't mean anything when it comes to money.
What! And give up all that perspiration slowly running down those firm thighs. 😁

We need to take some of the money we spend on our alsoran men's sports and give it to the women sports. they know how to recruit and win games
But it pointless in professional sports to field a team that doesn't make money. If college sports was still fielded by amateur athletes I could see having sports that don't make money.

I forget, how did they get around the football team tipping the scale too far in one direction?
By adding women's teams to bring the number of total scholarships up to par with men. Also, women's basketball awards more scholarships than men's basketball - two, I think.

Yeah, let’s screw every college athlete except primadonna football players like say…Marshawn Lloyd or Bell to make sure we only feature them so we can maximize their exposure for the NFL. You know how many portal guys are making it in the NFL……a handful.

Step away from the ledge Mister! Cancelling women’s sports isn’t the answer!
It’s truly unbelievable that someone who follows college sports don’t know what Title IX is. There had to be a balance of men and women sports. For every women’s sport that is eliminated, a men’s sport must also be eliminated. I played college sports and while I watch women’s basketball, rarely do I watch other women sports.

Reactions: king ward
Yeah, let’s screw every college athlete except primadonna football players like say…Marshawn Lloyd or Bell to make sure we only feature them so we can maximize their exposure for the NFL. You know how many portal guys are making it in the NFL……a handful.
That’s exactly what NIL is gonna do. Its only a matter of time before these athletes take it to court to be classified as employees and get all the benefits employees get. USC and other P5s can probably absorb that. 99% of NCAA colleges cant. They’ll drop everything tbat doesn’t profit. A judge says NCAA athletes are employees? D2 and FCS schools likely drop almost everything bc they cant absorb the insurance, workers comp, etc of instantly gaining 200 employees overnight.

But hey, the primadonna athletes “got their bag” right? Thats all that matters.

Reactions: tngamecock#
It’s truly unbelievable that someone who follows college sports don’t know what Title IX is. There had to be a balance of men and women sports. For every women’s sport that is eliminated, a men’s sport must also be eliminated. I played college sports and while I watch women’s basketball, rarely do I watch other women sports.

If NIL collectives can pay players enough to cover their tuition (they can easily) then all schools can cancel football scholarships, make ALL P5 non scholarship. Then the school can cancel all sports other than football and basketball. Give equal scholarships for mens and womens hoops, announce football walk on tryouts are open to all genders (all players will technically be walk ons then), and bam, Title IX is met and all non revenue sports are gone. Then ALL $$$$ can rightfully be spent on satisfying the wishes of the football superstars

Reactions: Cybercock
If NIL collectives can pay players enough to cover their tuition (they can easily) then all schools can cancel football scholarships, make ALL P5 non scholarship. Then the school can cancel all sports other than football and basketball. Give equal scholarships for mens and womens hoops, announce football walk on tryouts are open to all genders (all players will technically be walk ons then), and bam, Title IX is met and all non revenue sports are gone. Then ALL $$$$ can rightfully be spent on satisfying the wishes of the football superstars
Can they pay enough of them? Not all of them. Not everywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT