ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Sumlin pulling a Muschamp

How promising it looked for Sumlin when he beat Bama in Tuscaloosa - a good Bama team at that, and opened the 2014 season in dominant fashion over several games. But when things turned south, they turned south utterly, precipitously, and completely. He appeared to have the "it" factor, but the factor he actually turned out to have merely rhymed with "it". Pretty amazing, really.

How promising it looked for Sumlin when he beat Bama in Tuscaloosa - a good Bama team at that, and opened the 2014 season in dominant fashion over several games. But when things turned south, they turned south utterly, precipitously, and completely. He appeared to have the "it" factor, but the factor he actually turned out to have merely rhymed with "it". Pretty amazing, really.

Crazy he had Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray in the same QB room and still couldn’t get it done . Crazy

Here's today's irony all around idea. Arizona should hire Napier. He coached at Arizona State and left when Herm Edward's came in, though some thought he should have stayed around. Can Sumlin survive this?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
WTH happened to the Houston Sumlin?

To be cynical-wonder if he has an undeserved buyout similar to unowho's?

I don’t know what happened. But if you’re on Twitter, then follow the parody account Jive Kevin Sumlin. It’s hilarious.

Did he get a chance to kick a field goal late?
A lot of coaches succeeded in Houston. That area is loaded with talent. Haven’t researched it but my guess is most of the Houston teams players came from within a 150 mile radius. Summlin used to have really good offenses but over the years he hasn’t changed much as defenses figured him out. Sound familiar?

Did he get a chance to kick a field goal late?

giphy.gif

Sumlin and Muschamp are brothers from a different mother. Just look at their downward spirals in their last two head coaching gigs and you will see what I mean. Two incompetent pretenders as head coach!

Reactions: GamecockNYSC
Sumlin and Muschamp are brothers from a different mother. Just look at their downward spirals in their last two head coaching gigs and you will see what I mean. Two incompetent pretenders as head coach!
Difference is Muschamp was bad at his only two head coaching gigs. Sumlin was excellent at Houston. Started great at A&M, then receded to an 8-5 level. That wasn’t good enough at A&M, and fair enough. But if Muschamp had Sumlin’s A&M record at USC, Ray would have extended him to a 10 year deal, $50M buyout by now.

I like summlin, always have. He just couldn't get the players he needed at Arizona. But his worst record was 7-5 in aggie land but had some big wins there like over Bama. I'd take summlin calling our plays.

Some guys need to say at a G-5 of FCA level, which doesn't mean they aren't great coaches. I believe Sumlin was one of those, and maybe even Sparky. He could have ridden the horse at App State for a long time. Like Dirty Harry said in "Magnum Force", "A man's GOT to know his limitations."

Some guys need to say at a G-5 of FCA level, which doesn't mean they aren't great coaches. I believe Sumlin was one of those, and maybe even Sparky. He could have ridden the horse at App State for a long time. Like Dirty Harry said in "Magnum Force", "A man's GOT to know his limitations."

Possibly, the only thing with that is he has been successful everywhere but arizona who in the last 22 years has had a 6-6 record or worse 16 of those years. Its not shocking he couldn't lure top players there to win . But he has proven he is a big time coach.

Possibly, the only thing with that is he has been successful everywhere but arizona who in the last 22 years has had a 6-6 record or worse 16 of those years. Its not shocking he couldn't lure top players there to win . But he has proven he is a big time coach.
No, sir. That would have led to something better than his outcome at A&M, especially once they were out from under the Texas shadow.

No, sir. That would have led to something better than his outcome at A&M, especially once they were out from under the Texas shadow.

I don't think you can lump him into groups with the likes of sparky woods and others. None of those beat Alabama or came into Columbia and ran a #9 ranked spurrier coached team out their own stadium. Granted there were games they lost they shouldn't have but all teams do that. He never had a losing record and 7-5 was his worst. Things started falling apart when his assistant through a fit after their big 5* qb decommited and his tirade causes a few other 4* players to do so as well. Either way I think he may want a shot at the sec again and would make a solid OC

I don't think you can lump him into groups with the likes of sparky woods and others. None of those beat Alabama or came into Columbia and ran a #9 ranked spurrier coached team out their own stadium. Granted there were games they lost they shouldn't have but all teams do that. He never had a losing record and 7-5 was his worst. Things started falling apart when his assistant through a fit after their big 5* qb decommited and his tirade causes a few other 4* players to do so as well. Either way I think he may want a shot at the sec again and would make a solid OC
And in the SEC, that might be his level of competence. Top-tier coaches can handle crises. If he were a top-tier head coach, he would not have been run off twice in succession. Listen, I like the guy. But this profession leaves a man with no place to hide. He was miscast in his two latest jobs.

And in the SEC, that might be his level of competence. Top-tier coaches can handle crises. If he were a top-tier head coach, he would not have been run off twice in succession. Listen, I like the guy. But this profession leaves a man with no place to hide. He was miscast in his two latest jobs.

agree to an extent, I'm not saying he needs to he a head coach in the sec, I'm saying he would probably make a hell of a OC for someone

You guys do know Sumlin's name came up in a post when discussing a replacement for Muschamp. I don't think anyone will own up to that post!

Actually I brought him up as a possible OC or Advisor . The dude lite up the scoreboard everywhere he’s been but Arizona . He was an absolute trainwreck out west . I’m sure Saban will let him join the fired coaches rehab center in Tuscaloosa when Sark graduates.

A&M’s all time winning percentage is .603

Sumlin’s winning percentage at A&M was .677, with one great season and a Cotton Bowl win.
Jimbo‘s winning percentage thus far is .654, with one great season (this season).

Only two current SEC head coaches (Saban and Smart) have a better winning percentage as an SEC head coach than Sumlin did at A&M. Arizona was a bad situation, but this man is definitely capable of leading another P5 program and is not limited to G5 or FCS only.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT