ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Fedora just stated that this year's UNC team is the best since he has been at

Is that really saying much though?

No, it's not saying much. But, he went on to say that this year's team was much more focused than the other teams.

I guess what I am saying is UNC is backed into a little bit of a corner and they scare me to that extent. Anyone remember first game of '78 in Chapel Hole, we lost 28-0. But, I think the holes were favored by a TD.

Reactions: Closer
No, it's not saying much. But, he went on to say that this year's team was much more focused than the other teams.

I guess what I am saying is UNC is backed into a little bit of a corner and they scare me to that extent. Anyone remember first game of '78 in Chapel Hole, we lost 28-0. But, I think the holes were favored by a TD.
that one burned n the brain :) recall '81 when they went down as #3? then again when ellis was out & "D" won game w/ key blocked punt.......how the yrs fly by:-(

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
that one burned n the brain :) recall '81 when they went down as #3? then again when ellis was out & "D" won game w/ key blocked punt.......how the yrs fly by:-(

The holes have always scared me for some reason. I remember at least one other game back in the late '70s or early '80s that we were favored but lost to the holes. Obviously, this is a new day, and a good new day for us at that, but I hate the holes so badly living here in NC, I just don't want us to miss an opportunity to win that is all. Plus, we can't afford to give the holes any type of chance whatsoever.

On a different game series, the same thing happened to us against UT. I watched both years that we lost to UT and still can't believe we lost.

Reactions: Closer
Didn't Spurrier pretty much say that about this years team? I say we stomp a mudhole into the Tarholes. Our defense is gonna see so much of an improvement that everyone is going to be talking about defense and not in a clemsoning type of way either.

It makes sense Freddie, since Fed had been there he has dealt more with NCAA sanctions and been fighting schollie reductions and the loss of many of the players Butch recruited to UNC, thank goodness. Anyway, this year its mostly his team and he has some experience at key positions, I really cannot remember that being the case since all this NCAA stuff started. The team that suspended 10-12 players and still almost beat LSU a few years ago was the last decent UNC team...imho

Watch the last 1:00 of the game to see just how close this was....

Last edited:
It makes sense Freddie, since Fed had been there he has dealt more with NCAA sanctions and been fighting schollie reductions and the loss of many of the players Butch recruited to UNC, thank goodness. Anyway, this year its mostly his team and he has some experience at key positions, I really cannot remember that being the case since all this NCAA stuff started. The team that suspended 10-12 players and still almost beat LSU a few years ago was the last decent UNC team...imho

Watch the last 1:40 of the game to see just how close this was....

"short hands?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=302470153

Fedora almost has to say that, and then hope for the best. Some wolves are howling in the distance if he doesn't show a lot of improvement this year. Would almost be hard for him not to show improvement with the cupcake schedule he has, but a loss to USC would not help him at all.

Scared? UNC NEVER scared us ... what I REMEMBER is my 1st college 'road trip' traveling to Chapel Hill on September 28, 1968 and LOSING by a TON going into the 4th Q ... BUT THEN - Tommy Suggs came ALIVE son! The Gamecocks scored FOUR TD's in the 4th Q in a comeback 32-27 WIN.

AWESOME.

FWIW a 'Charlie Scott' UNC basketball team NEVER beat a John Roche USC basketball team, either.

We weren't but 4-6 in '68 but we DID smack Clemson!!! (who, on the day were were coming back against UNC were getting their a$$e$ handed to 'em by Georgia 31-13). What a great, GREAT weekend!

Reactions: oakley51
Outside of last year, how has Spurrier done in first games? I'll answer that one! Pretty damn good!

Fedora is trying to instill confidence in his team but he better be careful, Spurrier pays attention to what's being said. Sumlin said all the right things publicly last year to prepare his team, and none of it motivated the Gamecocks.

I hope Fedora keeps running his mouth, we can only benefit from it.

Heard a former NFL guy a few weeks ago talk about all the rah rah rah guys that coach in college saying that isn't doing the players any favors.

So when Fedora and Dabo spew their venom it's hurting their own teams, not anyone else.

Watch the last 1:00 of the game to see just how close this was....

Those were the good ol days. You could bring a guy in like Marvin Austin and have him take a 400 level AFAM class the summer before his freshman year when he took remedial English. You also had him taking a ton of cash and tweeting about it.

Thank you Marvin for your passion to tweet! Without you, it would be business as usual in Chapel Hill.

They should be focused on football, they certainly don't have to focus on class!!

That's like Dabo saying Kyle Parker should be a preseason heisman candidate.

Hype. Coach speak. Don't let him intimidate you guys, they finished near the bottom if the acc COASTAL last year. Improvements? Sure. Miracles? No. They don't stand a chance against USC.

That's like Dabo saying Kyle Parker should be a preseason heisman candidate.

Hype. Coach speak. Don't let him intimidate you guys, they finished near the bottom if the acc COASTAL last year. Improvements? Sure. Miracles? No. They don't stand a chance against USC.

I think it will be a shoot out. Which D steps up?? Can a R-Fr keep up with all the returning guys from UNC's O? I think what keeps UNC in the game will be they have a 5th yr R-Sr at QB and USC has a R-Fr. Judging from last yr, neither D has a lot to be confident about coming into this game. I think its the first one to 40. Whose D rises up??

He only said that because he only has 1 top 25 team on his schedule and that is Georgia Tech ranked #17 in the coaches poll released last week.

We'll beat them in the ground on the way to Athens.

Last edited:
I'm really getting tired of pre season media coverage in college football. There is no value in what Fedora says. He's just yapping to the media, because it's a requirement for a HC. Are we really reacting to a benign comment that is obviously being used to give the hole fanbase some confidence in their team pre season?

Outside of last year, how has Spurrier done in first games? I'll answer that one! Pretty damn good!

Fedora is trying to instill confidence in his team but he better be careful, Spurrier pays attention to what's being said. Sumlin said all the right things publicly last year to prepare his team, and none of it motivated the Gamecocks.

I hope Fedora keeps running his mouth, we can only benefit from it.

Spurrier is now 9-1 in season-openers as South Carolina's head coach, the lone loss of course coming last season versus TAMU. The loss ended a streak of 14 consecutive season-opening wins for USC dating back to the 2000 season.

Spurrier is 23-2 all time in season openers has a collegiate head coach. The only other season-opening loss he's suffered as HC was when his Duke team lost to South Carolina 27-21 in 1989...

Those were the good ol days. You could bring a guy in like Marvin Austin and have him take a 400 level AFAM class the summer before his freshman year when he took remedial English. You also had him taking a ton of cash and tweeting about it.

Thank you Marvin for your passion to tweet! Without you, it would be business as usual in Chapel Hill.

It still is business as usual in Chapel Hill.

UNC will be best served to not even show up. Dey aint going to be that good man. Our D will be a world better this year. South Carolina wins this in a woodshed beating. UNC fans will be gone by 2nd quarter. 45-10. Mark it down.

Was that the game where Gordon Beckham completed something like 18-19 passes in a row. Then Coach Carlen went off on the fans the next day on his show? Then we had Richard Bell for a season? My how time flies.

Reactions: 01fatboy
Was that the game where Gordon Beckham completed something like 18-19 passes in a row. Then Coach Carlen went off on the fans the next day on his show? Then we had Richard Bell for a season? My how time flies.

16 of 17 for game, held % record until connor went 20-21....... same game as I recall that ramsey's dad slugged Carlen on field after game.

Scared? UNC NEVER scared us ... what I REMEMBER is my 1st college 'road trip' traveling to Chapel Hill on September 28, 1968 and LOSING by a TON going into the 4th Q ... BUT THEN - Tommy Suggs came ALIVE son! The Gamecocks scored FOUR TD's in the 4th Q in a comeback 32-27 WIN.

AWESOME.

FWIW a 'Charlie Scott' UNC basketball team NEVER beat a John Roche USC basketball team, either.

We weren't but 4-6 in '68 but we DID smack Clemson!!! (who, on the day were were coming back against UNC were getting their a$$e$ handed to 'em by Georgia 31-13). What a great, GREAT weekend!

Scott was 1-3 vs. Roche. Holes won the 2nd game of the '68-'69 season, 68-62. Next- to- last regular season game. After winning 9 in a row (7 vs. ACC & 2 vs. SoCon), we lost our final 2 reg. season games...UNC & NC State

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT