ADVERTISEMENT

Let's be "Frank" about it

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
This is the same typical showing he has had year in and year out. When you come to the finish line limping in- it speaks volumes. MSU and tonight are inexcusable. While I think he will finish with a winning SEC record, and many will point to the fact that few other coaches in our schools history have done it.. he still falls in the same category that it doesn't mean crap if you don't make the dance.

The year we made it to the final four, we limped into the tournament. The year before where we should have been in... Same thing. There is a common theme here... The hopes of getting in just vanished with tonight and this past Saturday.

1 in 7 years he will have made the tournament. Either change that stat next year, or change the coach.

Frank is a great coach but kids these days are pansys and can’t handle getting coached in the ways that Frank coaches. That’s the point. If he got the kids most of these teams get he would be one of the best coaches by far.

Reactions: Cybercock
Frank is a great coach but kids these days are pansys and can’t handle getting coached in the ways that Frank coaches. That’s the point. If he got the kids most of these teams get he would be one of the best coaches by far.

While I fully agree with everything you said, the kids aren't going to change and neither is Frank... With that being said expect the same results moving forware since he'll have to do more with less.

MSU was excusable. They are a better team than we are and it was at their place.

The inexcusables are OK State, Alabama tonight, Stony Brook, and Wyoming.

This is typical of Carolina Basketball over the past 20+ years. Have a shot and falter to, sometimes against inferior teams, down the stretch.

I believe Frank showed enough this season to give him next season. But we gotta get better than this crap and put a whole season together.

Reactions: vacock#
I think Frank is a pretty good coach. And no matter his screaming, the players do seem to love him. The issue was, is, and will be, recruiting. Talent wins out. No matter how much you coach a team up, when you have lesser talent, it comes to the surface. Rarely does USC seem to win a recruiting battle against another SEC, or ACC, school. That is the problem.

I believe Frank showed enough this season to give him next season. But we gotta get better than this crap and put a whole season together.

I might agree with that, if he had landed Josiah James or Juwan Gary or Christian Brown. But he didn’t. Guys don’t want to play for him. He’s signed one legit top tier prospect since 2015. This just can’t continue.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
I might agree with that, if he had landed Josiah James or Juwan Gary or Christian Brown. But he didn’t. Guys don’t want to play for him. He’s signed one legit top tier prospect since 2015. This just can’t continue.

I’m with you in the lack of recruiting. I was ready to dump Frank early. There is 0% chance Tanner fires Frank this season so I’m just preparing for that. We do have Hannibal coming in and he should contribute. Lawson and Bryant should be improved. We better do something next season.

Though I do believe Frank’s coaching reputation is good and it wouldn’t shock me if someone was able to persuade him to leave.

Win a few: everything is great.

Lose a few: let's fire Frank.

Tonight sucks but we likely win if Lawson doesn't get hurt. I would like to know who you guys honestly think could turn this program into a perrenial winner. I'm just not sure any of you really know what you're asking for.

Tonight sucks but we likely win if Lawson doesn't get hurt. I would like to know who you guys honestly think could turn this program into a perrenial winner. I'm just not sure any of you really know what you're asking for.

We can go to market with 3.5 to 4 million dollar per year offers and find out...

Reactions: Legendary Cock

The only thing that matters is him making it to the tournament. 1-7 is not getting the job done at $2 million a year. Go find a coach that kids with established skill sets want to come play for. Hannibal should be a great pickup for next year, but you have to have other guys who aren't just project players that you hope will develop.
Regarding Frank- make the tournament next year or pack the bags

Reactions: cockofdawn
This is one of Frank's best coaching jobs, maybe even better than the Final Four team. This team is not as talented as many of you think. To get this squad to 9-5 in conference is admirable.

But who recruited EVERY single player on this team? Frank. The lack of talent is solely on his and his staffs lack of ability to bring in a higher skillset player. Hard to admire a coach though with a 14-14 record

We have only been to the tournament five times in 45 years. That is by far worse than any school in the SEC or ACC. I don't expect things to change.

Reactions: PC31
Every "fan" in this thread who is calling for 1 more year should be required to turn in their fandom card and be banished from Gamecock nation.

It's been how many years of this garbage?? But you just got to have 1 more....?? Unbelievable.

Solution: Get rid of these gullible fans first. Pony up a press conference and offer $5 million per year, open invitation to be interviewed. Betcha you'd be shocked at the number of top notch coaches sitting in the waiting area to be interviewed. But we have to get rid of these fans who accept this year in, year out, like there's no other option. There is. Money talks.

Every "fan" in this thread who is calling for 1 more year should be required to turn in their fandom card and be banished from Gamecock nation.

It's been how many years of this garbage?? But you just got to have 1 more....?? Unbelievable.

Solution: Get rid of these gullible fans first. Pony up a press conference and offer $5 million per year, open invitation to be interviewed. Betcha you'd be shocked at the number of top notch coaches sitting in the waiting area to be interviewed. But we have to get rid of these fans who accept this year in, year out, like there's no other option. There is. Money talks.

Yeah, it’s thats simple... Eyeroll

Reactions: Bclc829

Lol. You get rid of the “gullible fans” that want Frank Martin to continue and you won’t have five million to throw at anyone. I would venture to say that any large endowments to the football team, your largest donors and many corporate sponsors may leave. The SEC may consider that detrimental exposure to the conference and expell UofUSoC

Reactions: Bclc829
I have no problems getting on players hard at practice. However, you don’t clap in their face or do other things to demean them in public. That is just good leadership.

Reactions: ddw1263 and 92Pony
I wouldn't wait, but we will.
We should keep frank because we will always be ok with being ave.
We are comfortable with ave. We accept we are who we thought we have always been.
Why get another coach wihen the bar will be the same?

Frank ain't going anywhere so coach on Frank we were just short one man's scoring because of a twisted foot.
LOL, Okay, A twisted foot caused a Loss?? I love you man, but wow, all the way down to those excuses?? This team is not good. they will not make tth NCAA, tourney, Heck at this rate not make NIT..

Last edited:
Reactions: ddw1263
1 tournament in 7 years
He needs to step down or be fired.
Four tournament wins in seven years. No coach in the history of our program can match that. One final four. No school in the history of our state can match that.
Fire Frank and we would be looking for a Darrin Horne type coach, because no established coach would touch us.

Four tournament wins in seven years. No coach in the history of our program can match that. One final four. No school in the history of our state can match that.
Fire Frank and we would be looking for a Darrin Horne type coach, because no established coach would touch us.
okay, then No more NCAA's for this team, lets hope they can get an NIT BID in the next few years..

I look for Frank to Make the NCAA tournament by 2022, at the latest, But hey, i am the Eternal Optimist..

giphy.gif

This is the same typical showing he has had year in and year out. When you come to the finish line limping in- it speaks volumes. MSU and tonight are inexcusable. While I think he will finish with a winning SEC record, and many will point to the fact that few other coaches in our schools history have done it.. he still falls in the same category that it doesn't mean crap if you don't make the dance.

The year we made it to the final four, we limped into the tournament. The year before where we should have been in... Same thing. There is a common theme here... The hopes of getting in just vanished with tonight and this past Saturday.

1 in 7 years he will have made the tournament. Either change that stat next year, or change the coach.
When the season ends, Tanner will give a contract extension and raise. Then the cycle is complete.

Nobody is debating that we got hot for a two week stretch two years ago. That is exactly what it takes to make it to the Final 4, we also had Thornwell who practically put the team on his back..
If we are ok with having those four wins (all in the same year) as a crutch for Frank to not have to make the tournament this coming year, then we will continue to be the laughing stock of the SEC. I don't understand why we accept mediocrity so easily and an attitude of "oh well, that's just who we are"... This is a coach getting paid $2million a year, one of the top 20 highest paid coaches in the country, but yeah let's accept making it to the tournament 1-7 years.

Nobody is debating that we got hot for a two week stretch two years ago. That is exactly what it takes to make it to the Final 4, we also had Thornwell who practically put the team on his back..
If we are ok with having those four wins (all in the same year) as a crutch for Frank to not have to make the tournament this coming year, then we will continue to be the laughing stock of the SEC. I don't understand why we accept mediocrity so easily and an attitude of "oh well, that's just who we are"... This is a coach getting paid $2million a year, one of the top 20 highest paid coaches in the country, but yeah let's accept making it to the tournament 1-7 years.
Would we allow football to go to bowl game twice in 8 years and keep the coach? You have the NCAA, NIT and the other tournament so it isn't like if you are decent you don't have chance at post season.

We don't have a mind set to be successful in basketball. We didn't accept mediocrity in baseball and the plug was pulled on Holbrook. Yes, I know he took over a more successful program but our mind set is we are successful in baseball and anything less is not tolerated. Why not for basketball? Heck, Coach Muschamp took over a dumpster fire and you can't tell me his job was any easier than Coach Martin's.

I think what you see this year is the pattern for basketball and if you are okay with making run to get on bubble then the program is where you want it.

If we're starting an inquest, we have to start with the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes. Those classes were absolute disasters. And the 2018 class was well on its way to being a disaster until AJ Lawson reclassified and his family connections to South Carolina swung his recruitment in Frank's favor. The 2019 class, again, looks poor overall. We're four recruiting cycles into just an abysmal effort when it comes to bringing in top talent. It smacks of a coach who either gave up or simply cannot connect with players or parents at all. And this is all happening while he's receiving pay raises and working under a contract puts him in the top 20 for head coach compensation.

I've posted this before and will do so again, because it is glaring and alarming.

Tevin Mack, Jordan Bruner, Cartier Diarra, Seventh Woods, Jordan Bowden, Clyde Trapp, Nicolas Claxton, Jordan Davis, Ja Morant, Devontae Shuler, Zion Williamson, Aaron Nesmith, DJ Burns, Robert Braswell, Jimmy Nichols, Josiah James, Juwan Gary

He passed or missed on all these guys. Who benefited? Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, Vandy, Georgia, Clemson, among others. It's not just losing out to UNC or Duke. It's so, so bad.

Would we allow football to go to bowl game twice in 8 years and keep the coach? You have the NCAA, NIT and the other tournament so it isn't like if you are decent you don't have chance at post season.

We don't have a mind set to be successful in basketball. We didn't accept mediocrity in baseball and the plug was pulled on Holbrook. Yes, I know he took over a more successful program but our mind set is we are successful in baseball and anything less is not tolerated. Why not for basketball? Heck, Coach Muschamp took over a dumpster fire and you can't tell me his job was any easier than Coach Martin's.

I think what you see this year is the pattern for basketball and if you are okay with making run to get on bubble then the program is where you want it.

WELL SAID!!! I think Martin is a great coach (supposedly the players love him that play for him) but a horrible recruiter (our best player during his time Thornwell wanted to go to UNC, but Roy Williams told him to go to Carolina instead, which would be better for his playing career). To get us to where we want to be on a consistent basis, a change must take place after next year if he fails to make it to the NCAAT. I truly am dreading what next year looks like with Silva gone...

LOL, Okay, A twisted foot caused a Loss?? I love you man, but wow, all the way down to those excuses?? This team is not good. they will not make tth NCAA, tourney, Heck at this rate not make NIT..

NIT? LOL! IF they get a bid they'll probably check out like the football team did in the Belk Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT