ADVERTISEMENT

lol, the hits keep coming on Caslen-gate

Boy, this statement by him 100% reeks of "he was told by the BOT to give Champ his support." No mistaking it.

"Our Athletic Director and I support Will Muschamp, and we look forward to him being our coach next year and for seasons to come.”

https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article237581299.html

There is absolutely no other way to translate him going from "Mushcamp is my coach through the end of the year" to "we look forward to him being our coach next year and for seasons to come" other than the BOT got to him.

Just makes you wonder why the BOT and Ray are SO set on Muschamp. It's obviously not working. If they think we simply have to keep him b/c of the buyout, that's fine, but you don't have to force the President to go out and give fake overenthusiastic votes of confidence.

If the BOT is this cancerous, there may be no hope at all for our football program.

And lets not forget now many on this board were defending this sham of a Presidential hire.

I have told employees that I look forward to them accomplishing X or doing Y in the coming year. The statement was truthful (I really did look forward to it) even though I had no expectation they would accomplish those goals. Theoretically, Muschamp can still beat Clemson and probably save his job. We ALL look forward to that. But it doesnt mean we think it will happen.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I have told employees that I look forward to them accomplishing X or doing Y in the coming year. The statement was truthful (I really did look forward to it) even though I had no expectation they would accomplish those goals. Theoretically, Muschamp can still beat Clemson and probably save his job. We ALL look forward to that. But it doesnt mean we think it will happen.
I look forward to sunshine tomorrow...but rain is in the forecast. I still think Muschamp gets fired in a few weeks.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
You don't know the man.... And you are not right.... Let him do his job.... You are on the outside looking in..... You know nothing of what these people's discussions are or what there ultimate goals are... You just know what people are telling you.... Good Grief... It's your opinion and I understand that but how can you say that you didn't like someone in the beginning that you obviously don't care to learn more about . Educate yourself on this man... He's a GREAT man... I'm proud to have him.

This post highlights what's wrong with the Caslen hire and people's support for him as president. You will find almost no one on or off campus that disparages his military record or (for those who know him) disrespects him as a person; that's not the point. The point has always been that he was unqualified for the position and was hired through a corrupt process that still has USC in hot water with its accrediting agency. Since taking over as president, he has done nothing to validate his hiring (if anything, he's made the situation on campus worse). His ham-handed handling of this situation is honestly not that surprising.

This post highlights what's wrong with the Caslen hire and people's support for him as president. You will find almost no one on or off campus that disparages his military record or (for those who know him) disrespects him as a person; that's not the point. The point has always been that he was unqualified for the position and was hired through a corrupt process that still has USC in hot water with its accrediting agency. Since taking over as president, he has done nothing to validate his hiring (if anything, he's made the situation on campus worse). His ham-handed handling of this situation is honestly not that surprising.
He is not unqualified dude..... That's your opinion.... People don't agree with you.... Some do but that doesn't make you right, Sorry..

He is not unqualified dude..... That's your opinion.... People don't agree with you.... Some do but that doesn't make you right, Sorry..

I said that only because he didn't actually meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job ad. Dude. That's not an opinion. Dude. It's painful seeing on an almost daily basis how little he knows or understands about how Carnegie Research 1 universities work, or what our students, staff, and faculty do. Honestly, that's not his fault since he has zero experience in running one, but it's still tough to watch.

I said that only because he didn't actually meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job ad. Dude. That's not an opinion. Dude. It's painful seeing on an almost daily basis how little he knows or understands about how Carnegie Research 1 universities work, or what our students, staff, and faculty do. Honestly, that's not his fault since he has zero experience in running one, but it's still tough to watch.
Exactly; he's in over his head and sinking fast. Devry dodged a bullet.

sounds like caslen is saving face for the sake of the program til years end...then he will drop the hammer on muschamp. Dude is no snowflake

Yes but the ones in power above him ABSOLUTELY ARE! Hence the futility. Save the whales, kill the babies. Drive electric cars to save the planet, then cut off your power......

Dumber than a bag of rocks, the lot of them.

Where I disagree is when this goes south, and it will, they will all protect themselves and fire him, and blame it on the Governor.

There will be a revolt if the BOT fires Caslen. The person who should be fired is Ray. The BIT seems to not have the programs best interest at heart.

x1000.
Look at what he did at UCF, as well as cleaning house in the FB program at Army. His background in bringing in $$$ at UCF was outstanding at the largest school in the SE.
Now that we get a president that will put USC in a positive light athletically and academically. people get SCARED of upcoming changes.
The best is yet to come, unless people are scared of becoming a 11+ game winner in Football.
Let progress take place.

x1000.
Look at what he did at UCF, as well as cleaning house in the FB program at Army. His background in bringing in $$$ at UCF was outstanding at the largest school in the SE.
Now that we get a president that will put USC in a positive light athletically and academically. people get SCARED of upcoming changes.
The best is yet to come, unless people are scared of becoming a 11+ game winner in Football.
Let progress take place.
They always bitch about getting someone to make changes and step on toes, when we finally get someone to do that.. he has to fit some cookie cutter image that they are looking for.... In other words ... He has to be able to make all these changes, while at the same time be who they want him to be and act like they want him to act.... Crazy man..just crazy

When is he going to do it?
We would likely see a change at seasons end, but the BOT seems to have delayed an "interim coach" being named last month and slowed down Caslen's plan to hire a new FB staff at sometime after the season.
Tanner will be reassigned and Champ will be gone. But could take a year and AD needs to hire a new coach.
Our recruiting will be bad until a new coach is hired.

sounds like caslen is saving face for the sake of the program til years end...then he will drop the hammer on muschamp. Dude is no snowflake

I agree. Caslen's a military man and he knows how to wage a battle. As for the BOT members, I wouldn't trust them to find their way with a 'straight across the hall' direction to the restroom.

Last edited:
I think he wants to make a change. Just not sure if it will happen this year. I get the impression that he doesn’t mess around.

I certainly appreciate your expertise on all things governmental/educational. Standards and qualifications sometimes need to be changed beyond changing the people. Colleges are now nothing more than pseudo intellectual playgrounds for politically driven ideologists to flourish. We are fortunate as somebody corrected me on to have them at least create some useful idiots. But, the entire higher education system reflects politics over practicality, and process over real world performance. (Lol....see USC football). Perhaps it does humanize the spirit and does not allow it to become cruel at some macro level, but the virtue signalers running campuses these days are some of the most close minded, singular thought, angry and hateful folks in the country. BTW, when this crowd is done, with the forthcoming payment of players, college football will cease to exist. Hopefully, when the robots take over, maybe they will reinstitute the games as sort of a Roman cruelty spectacle. My team will beat your team. Lol

BOT simply MUST be gutted somehow.

They approved Tanner, they approved Muschamp, they approved the absurd buyout. The one move they got right, in hiring Caslen, they appear to be trying to thwart. Caslen is the ONLY person associated with this University who has said anything sensible about the future of the program and BOT very clearly forced him to walk those statements back.

Makes you ask the question: what's in it for our BOT if the football program sucks?

x1000.
Let progress take place.

Utter nonsense. He was hired at UCF on a temporary 8 month position as senior counsel to the president to serve as a stop gap while UCF underwent a national search for new administration and finance leadership following discovery of some fiscal irregularities. His designated responsibilities included making changes in the university’s organization and training senior leaders and trustees, while day-to-day operations largely remained with other people. He had no responsibilities for 'bringing in $$$' and didn't do so. He also did nothing of particular note during his short stint there beyond what their president wanted him to do. As has been noted ad nauseum, he had no experience in running a comprehensive research university, and he did not have a terminal degree, a stated requirement in the job ad. It's too early to tell what will happen at USC, but the first few months have largely been disappointing.

Add this to the list of accomplishments, too. Here's the beginning of the article, but follow the link for the whole thing.

"University of South Carolina president Bob Caslen’s recent statements regarding Will Muschamp’s status at South Carolina have featured eye-raising comments, contradictions, and misstatements. In assessing the aftermath, GamecockCentral.com has learned that Caslen’s actions have created a condition for the Gamecock football program that has been difficult to manage over the last week.

While it is not Caslen’s fault that the football program has struggled as of late, his missteps have served to undermine what he – and everyone associated with the university, Muschamp included– wants to see Muschamp do in improving the program. The mistakes also illustrated slip-ups in two areas Caslen said within his first two months on the job that were key for him: choosing his words more carefully, and creating conditions that will enable success."

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/gamecock-football-dealing-with-caslen-statement-fallout

Utter nonsense. He was hired at UCF on a temporary 8 month position as senior counsel to the president to serve as a stop gap while UCF underwent a national search for new administration and finance leadership following discovery of some fiscal irregularities. His designated responsibilities included making changes in the university’s organization and training senior leaders and trustees, while day-to-day operations largely remained with other people. He had no responsibilities for 'bringing in $$$' and didn't do so. He also did nothing of particular note during his short stint there beyond what their president wanted him to do. As has been noted ad nauseum, he had no experience in running a comprehensive research university, and he did not have a terminal degree, a stated requirement in the job ad. It's too early to tell what will happen at USC, but the first few months have largely been disappointing.
Thanks for the info, did not know all that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT