ADVERTISEMENT

Makes me sick that Kentucky, Mizzou, UT,

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Will all very likely be bowl eligible. Vandy and ourselves will be the east teams staying home.
USC should never not be bowl eligible. I had serious issues with the teams lack of use of all 15 practices last year. But to not even make it this year is plain bad! We are about exactly one week from the end of 2019 football.

You aren't wrong. But, it doesn't matter anymore.What we've seen over the past few weeks, months, and seven years (from Caslen, the BOT, and Muschamp/Tanner respectively) is too much evidence that the powers-that-be at USC are too incompetent for any sustained success in football.

The whole damn board should go. Unfortunately, it’s like congress, they aren’t firing themselves. It’s too good politically. It’s just a country club where they do backslapping and enjoy being fat cats.

Personally, I think there are way to many (participation) bowl games in this country. I hate the idea that a six win team is now eligible to attend some nondescript meaningless bowl game too few people attend and even fewer people watch on TV (nationally). One will naturally argue that a bowl game, no matter how meaningless, provides extra practices for future teams. Has it (going to a bowl) made any difference in our past two seasons? They should have never lowered the standard. Eliminate half the bowl games and make eight wins the minimum needed to play. Make bowl games meaningful again.

Personally, I think there are way to many (participation) bowl games in this country. I hate the idea that a six win team is now eligible to attend some nondescript meaningless bowl game too few people attend and even fewer people watch on TV (nationally). One will naturally argue that a bowl game, no matter how meaningless, provides extra practices for future teams. Has it (going to a bowl) made any difference in our past two seasons? They should have never lowered the standard. Eliminate half the bowl games and make eight wins the minimum needed to play. Make bowl games meaningful again.
Hard to get the full benefit when our coaches did not even take advantage of all the practices... Gives the message that development, improvement.. Are not important to this staff and our team has played like they got that message ever since.

Folks, we hired an incompetent coach. That’s the bottom line. I hate to say “I told you so” but the proof was all there if you pay attention to SEC football. Yet, the board and Tanner did it anyway. We didn’t bring in an unknown quantity like an assistant from a football power. We brought a known quantity. Hard to fathom eh?

Folks, we hired an incompetent coach. That’s the bottom line. I hate to say “I told you so” but the proof was all there if you pay attention to SEC football. Yet, the board and Tanner did it anyway. We didn’t bring in an unknown quantity like an assistant from a football power. We brought a known quantity. Hard to fathom eh?
It was not great before the extension and buyout... But notice after he got those 2 things that we went straight to shit...... After he got the money guaranteed, it's like hes just on cruise control.... He can't be trying..... Any High school coach in the Midlands could do better than he's done with this team...... I truly believe that...

Mizzou has a bowl ban, so they should be home for the holidays too unless the NCAA rules favorably on their appeal.

Just googled it and they’re still waiting to hear a resolution to their appeal. NCAA waiting to the last minute apparently.

Six-win bowl eligibility is an absolute travesty.

Agreed. Was it Nick Saban who said he wanted the commissioners to eliminate FCS games from all of the power-5 scheduling? In that scenario, six wins would actually mean something.

It is actually easier to make a football bowl game than to make the field for NCAA March Madness

It was not great before the extension and buyout... But notice after he got those 2 things that we went straight to shit...... After he got the money guaranteed, it's like hes just on cruise control.... He can't be trying..... Any High school coach in the Midlands could do better than he's done with this team...... I truly believe that...

I am surprised that Bobby Bentley's name is never mentioned as a potential OC candidate. He did reignite Byrnes High School back into prominence.

Reactions: Expro19
Agreed. Was it Nick Saban who said he wanted the commissioners to eliminate FCS games from all of the power-5 scheduling? In that scenario, six wins would actually mean something.
I would still have to advocate winning more than half your games to get to a bowl. Patented mediocrity shouldn't do it for a team.

Reactions: Expro19
Get used to it boys . Looks like it’s gonna be like this for a few more years while Champ Evaluates. He ain’t going anywhere . Our admin has clearly shown they care more about lining their pockets than producing a winning culture .

I am surprised that Bobby Bentley's name is never mentioned as a potential OC candidate. He did reignite Byrnes High School back into prominence.
It would have never happened on the previous opening on staff with Jake as his QB.

It was. At Auburn. He was offered that job last winter. Chose to stay at USC to be here for Jake's senior year one would figure. Bobby would do fine as OC. But at this point I think the frustration with the offense almost forced Will to hire outside of the program. Then again, nothing may be changed. He talks about how he loves the staff. He may decide to stick with what he has. And in his situation, he would have trouble attracting a decent OC to Columbia anyway

Reactions: 76MACC
Get used to it boys . Looks like it’s gonna be like this for a few more years while Champ Evaluates. He ain’t going anywhere . Our admin has clearly shown they care more about lining their pockets than producing a winning culture .
That’s fine. They can brag to their uppity friends about how enrollment has dropped and the stadium is half empty.

You aren't wrong. But, it doesn't matter anymore.What we've seen over the past few weeks, months, and seven years (from Caslen, the BOT, and Muschamp/Tanner respectively) is too much evidence that the powers-that-be at USC are too incompetent for any sustained success in football.
And the system does not hold them accountable. Something similar happened when Dietzel was here. He stayed for 9 seasons despite the fact that he only had 2 good seasons. He could handle the cocktail circuit and solicit donations from wealthy people. (He started the upgrades to WB.) Eventually, even that could not save him. Champ will be here at least 5 seasons. If he wins 6 next year he could be here a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT