ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingston?....never heard of him....we need a much bigger name *

MLB SCOUTS CLAIM HE IS THE BEST YOUNG COACH IN THE BUSINESS..I HOPE THEY CHECK WITH YOU BEFORE ANYMORE ASSESSMENTS

I could give a rats ass about a name. I want a freaking baseball coach that can recruit, develop, create toughness, and wins.

Really does anything else matter?

I want a coach that's going to come to the park with a fire in their belly every day to get better.

The way I see it, O'Sullivan is the only big name being thrown around with any semi possibility attached to it. If there is no validity to the rumors about him, who else is a legitimate "big name " possibility?
Schlosnagle, O'Connor and McDonnell seem to be entrenched where they are, Holliday is a oks alumn, and I don't think Monte has proven anything other than he can't win a regional at home . That pretty much leaves you with an assistant or a head coach at a smaller school. Personally I'd rather have the young head coach that has proven he can handle being the head guy but still has that desire to prove himself. Not to mention you can look back at his former teams and see what type of coach he is.
Kingston has a solid resume playing for Mike Roberts at unc, an assistant for Jim Morris and Rick Jones and head coaching position at Illinois State and usf. Not saying he's the guy we are looking for but if Ray hires him then I'll definitely be excited to see what he can do here

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
MLB SCOUTS CLAIM HE IS THE BEST YOUNG COACH IN THE BUSINESS..I HOPE THEY CHECK WITH YOU BEFORE ANYMORE ASSESSMENTS

So are you saying if we have a talent that could be a high MLB pick and highly rated, this coach would actually play them?

Or like Holbrook sit them on the bench so they don't develop and pay any dividends later in the season when we are losing a lot and transfer out to a program who will play them?

If so I already like him better then Holbrook

The way I see it, O'Sullivan is the only big name being thrown around with any semi possibility attached to it. If there is no validity to the rumors about him, who else is a legitimate "big name " possibility?
Schlosnagle, O'Connor and McDonnell seem to be entrenched where they are, Holliday is a oks alumn, and I don't think Monte has proven anything other than he can't win a regional at home . That pretty much leaves you with an assistant or a head coach at a smaller school. Personally I'd rather have the young head coach that has proven he can handle being the head guy but still has that desire to prove himself. Not to mention you can look back at his former teams and see what type of coach he is.
Kingston has a solid resume playing for Mike Roberts at unc, an assistant for Jim Morris and Rick Jones and head coaching position at Illinois State and usf. Not saying he's the guy we are looking for but if Ray hires him then I'll definitely be excited to see what he can do here
The Mike Roberts connection will carry a lot of weight with Tanner.

No more Hole coaches
I'm feelin ya...But i don't think that matters to Tanner...He is going to hire a HBC he is convinced can recruit, teach and manage for the next 15 yrs...

But the longer this thing goes on, the more i suspect he has some sort of meet and let's see arrangement with KOS

That article is dated 7 June. Interesting that he turned down the va tech job and now interviewing at Carolina.
Also interesting that his name seems to have flown under the radar. If he is one of Tanner's top targets it tells you how close to the vest Tanner is keeping his search
USF is a better job than VTech. I would not leave USF for VTech, even if it paid better. I would wait for a better job.

Seems to me that the only thing to improve at Maryland since they left the ACC is more $$$ revenue. I think that joining the B1G hurt them in baseball, made no difference in basketball (both genders), and should have helped them in football - maybe it will take them time like it did us in the SEC.

Curious, would most prefer an up and comer that may stay here for a period, like Tanner or possibly Muschamp, or a proven coach that may be farther along in his career and not stay as long? It will be interesting to see Tanner's mentality on that.

According to this site,
"
Mark Kingston, South Florida
According to multiple reports, Kingston interviewed for the Gamecock opening last week, coming to Columbia and touring the facilities. He’s been the head coach at South Florida since 2015, coming from a head coach gig at Illinois State before that.
As an assistant at Miami in the early 2000s, he won to the College World Series before moving on to Tulane and Illinois State.
Pros: He’s had success in his second head coach job, taking the Bulls to the NCAA Tournament in two of the three years he’s been in Tampa. The Bulls had a 42-19 record this year and topped 30 wins in two of his three seasons. He would also be a steal money-wise, only making $140,000 annually at USF.
Cons: Kingston doesn’t have a huge sample size as a major Division I head coach, only three seasons, all of which coming at a non-Power Five school. He also hasn’t advanced past the NCAA Regionals in his two trips to the tournament."

I will be pleasantly surprised if Tanner is able to hire a big name coach. Those guys are big name because they have won big where they are, and they have been rewarded for it accordingly by big money long term contracts and facilities. They will be hard to pry away just so they can come to SC, and thrive with the pressure of making SR's every year, and the CWS 2 out of every 3-4 years, and winning 1 every 4-5 years on average. It isn't like football where you get a college coach itching to do it in the pros who finds out the owner(s) and GM ain't gonna let the coach run the franchise. Then, they decide to come back to the college game. There aren't any baseball coaches out there like Saban and Spurrier who will comeback and do what they did, so I will be very surprised if he gets a "big name coach".

Reactions: atl-cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT