ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Wolford Wasnt So Bad

Lol, not going to say anything.
What would you say? Saban hired him and he can pretty much hire who he wants so Wolford must not be too bad of a coach. Of course, Saban can make mistakes, but he isn't in any rush nor was he forced to take Wolford on staff.

I always liked him! Who is the best we ever had?
I'm looking for his name, but the best offensive line play we ever had in Columbia was around 1979-1980 when George Rogers and Johnnie Wright were playing. And those linemen saw a lot of seven and eight-man fronts, not only because of the running backs we had, but because we were terrible at quarterback. Those linemen were physical, mobile, and well coached.

Last edited:
I'm looking for his name, but the best offensive line play we ever had in Columbia was around 1979-1980 when George Rogers and Johnnie Wright were playing. And those linemen saw a lot of seven and eight-man fronts, not only because of the running backs we had, but because were terrible at quarterback. Those linemen were physical, mobile, and well coached.
Larry New?

I'm looking for his name, but the best offensive line play we ever had in Columbia was around 1979-1980 when George Rogers and Johnnie Wright were playing. And those linemen saw a lot of seven and eight-man fronts, not only because of the running backs we had, but because we were terrible at quarterback. Those linemen were physical, mobile, and well coached.
I believe it was Jack Fligg, wasn't it?

I always liked Wolford. Spurrier tried to talk him out of leaving for a FCS Head Coaching job. Not sure why some people here did not like him. Wish Shane had kept him on.

I always liked Wolford. Spurrier tried to talk him out of leaving for a FCS Head Coaching job. Not sure why some people here did not like him. Wish Shane had kept him on.
I've reached out to some of my long-time Gamecock friends and they believe it was Washburn. One of my friends thinks he worked for two or three of our coaches and wound up coaching in the NFL. They think he coached for the Redskins. If we develop other info, I'll update it. @cockn'fyr

I've reached out to some of my long-time Gamecock friends and they believe it was Washburn. One of my friends thinks he worked for two or three of our coaches and wound up coaching in the NFL. They think he coached for the Redskins. If we develop other info, I'll update it. @cockn'fyr
I thought Washburn was our DL coach. But, I know little and claim less.

George Shechterly knocked a Georgia Tech linebacker 10 or 15 yards on one of Big George’s runs. I wish I had a video clip. The best block I have ever seen.

Reactions: king ward
Washburn was our TE coach.

Fligg was the offensive coordinator.

Somebody has to have a media guide from back then. As a Gamecock Club member during that time, I had all of them. But a couple of moves separated me from them.

Yes he was. But, he also coached a position like most Coordinators that I am aware of do. I THINK he coached the OL back then. But, I would not wager anything on that.
I'm thinking it was Bob Roe.

I have just handed this over to a Gamecock social media page. Hundreds of members. Let's see if a consensus forms.
It was Jack Fligg. I already did the research. He was always a member of Carlen's staff as the OL coach at WVa, TexTech, and USC. Without a doubt, Fligg was THE best OL coach in the history of our program.

It was Jack Fligg. I already did the research. He was always a member of Carlen's staff as the OL coach at WVa, TexTech, and USC. Without a doubt, Fligg was THE best OL coach in the history of our program.
That is appreciated. Did you have a media guide from back then or something?

That is appreciated. Did you have a media guide from back then or something?
Actually the media guide that I was able to locate only showed a listing of the coaches' names. By Googling most of the names and a process of elimination, I was able to determine that Jack Fligg was the OL. Of course, I want to credit @gamecock stock for pointing me in the right direction.

Actually the media guide that I was able to locate only showed a listing of the coaches' names. By Googling most of the names and a process of elimination, I was able to determine that Jack Fligg was the OL. Of course, I want to credit @gamecock stock for pointing me in the right direction.
Both of your contributions are duly noted. I won't forget again and now the author of our best offensive lines ever can be recognized. I remembered Coach Fligg but not his specific assignment.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Man, I would like to see us get a good one again. Defensive's are so complex these days it has to be a hard job and you better be able to recruit and coach. Watching those conference championship games the D lines had as big a part of winning both of those games as anybody!

Did you run across Jerry Sullivan's role in the course of your research?

Coincidence that it happened the same time a hesiman winning back played? Did the back make them look better or they help the back more?

Did you run across Jerry Sullivan's role in the course of your research?
Actually, I did. He was our WR coach for years. He was a damn good coach and got the most out of his players. I believe his son played later on as a WR and returned punts for us.

Last edited:
Thanks. I recalled thinking back then how unusual it was for the OL coach, rather than a skill position coach, to be the Offensive Coordinator Just don't expect me to recall what I had for lunch yesterday.

Man, I would like to see us get a good one again.
Eric got us some good recruits his 1 year he was here in '09, but you have to have athletic OTs in order to have a chance against the freaky DL in the SEC.
How many good OTs have we had at USC?
How many good OTs are guys converted from other positions?
What good are large OTs if they whiff trying to maneuver against smaller/faster guys?

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT