ADVERTISEMENT

McIlwain tweet.

The coaches are out recruiting in full forc . Now only if the HBC & previous staff had been doing the same we would've never had the huge dropoff in talent that we had.

I really hate to bring this back to reality, but if he doesn't come early I think we have a pretty abysmal chance of getting him to campus.

Saying you are going to school now is one thing. When someone hands you million+ in cash that is quite another.

I don't think anyone in their right mind that would hand the cash back to go to classes.

Well, no one can say the new guy isn't working hard. Only been on the job for three days and he's making in-home visits.

Reactions: JRBrooks66
Millions are millions, and there's always the possibility of injury (knock on wood for none) but on the surface, he doesn't need to make the decision for the family finances. Really hope he stays, and comes next month.

And, I'm an idiot (already knew that) and I haven't really read too many stories about BM12, but I didn't realize his Pop got his MS in Marketing at Carolina.

Last edited:
I really hate to bring this back to reality, but if he doesn't come early I think we have a pretty abysmal chance of getting him to campus.

Saying you are going to school now is one thing. When someone hands you million+ in cash that is quite another.

I don't think anyone in their right mind that would hand the cash back to go to classes.

It's not a million in cash. It's a check - with the IRS grabbing about half.

If he was a kid from a poor or lower income background, I wouldn't have much hope. However, his family is educated, white collar, upper middle class. They know that a lifetime of earnings with a degree beats a lump sum payment at age 18. He doesn't need to buy himself a car and a house for grandma.

Of course, we all have our price. Mine, and I'm guessing his) falls somewhere in the first couple of rounds.

He appears to be taking a wait and see attitude. We have to do the same. I've seen him projected in the first round and I've also seen him rated outside the top 100. The pros don't like to waste high draft slots on kids they think may not sign. If they think he might turn them down, they will wait til later rounds.

I trust his Gamecock Dad to be his advisor. Who knows? He might try the pros for awhile then come back to us. We have a walkon tight end he might consult with on his OV

It's not a million in cash. It's a check - with the IRS grabbing about half.

If he was a kid from a poor or lower income background, I wouldn't have much hope. However, his family is educated, white collar, upper middle class. They know that a lifetime of earnings with a degree beats a lump sum payment at age 18. He doesn't need to buy himself a car and a house for grandma.

Of course, we all have our price. Mine, and I'm guessing his) falls somewhere in the first couple of rounds.

He appears to be taking a wait and see attitude. We have to do the same. I've seen him projected in the first round and I've also seen him rated outside the top 100. The pros don't like to waste high draft slots on kids they think may not sign. If they think he might turn them down, they will wait til later rounds.

I trust his Gamecock Dad to be his advisor. Who knows? He might try the pros for awhile then come back to us. We have a walkon tight end he might consult with on his OV

That or they just throw a pile of cash at them/ draft higher.

This situation reminds me a little of the Jeff Francoeur situation for Clemson. He came from an affluent family and told everyone he was going to school etc... Then the braves drafted him in the first round. Then they threw a $2.2M signing bonus at him.

When I say cash, no I don't mean hundred dollar bills in a suitcase.
I'm talking about upfront money, you can go spend it that day. Rather than small checks coming in every other week, just one big fat $1M+ check. It would be pretty freaking hard for anyone to turn something like that down.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrmoRed
Somebody get Muschamp to Grainger Owings. That 4 button suit is awful.

Son, that ain't no suit jacket.

I say . . . I say . . . they call them things coats up Nawth.

bag-of-hammers.jpg

Reactions: GC Joey 77
The coaches are out recruiting in full forc . Now only if the HBC & previous staff had been doing the same we would've never had the huge dropoff in talent that we had.
Every time I walk off a green cussing...I have a friend who reminds me..."You can't play backwards" Let's move forward.

Reactions: gamecockblack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT