ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile the Basketball team....

They seem to be more competitive than last year. Josh Gray must be a foul machine and nothing else. He sits at the end of the bench towering over the other bench players. I don't know the quality of the SEC this year, but .500 in conference play should get them in the tournament. I think they are a worthy team. However I've seen us get screwed with a 20-9 record before.

Reactions: 92Pony
Anybody know why Meechie didn't play tonight? I have been completely out of the loop this,week and missed the game tonight.

You know I’m kinda frustrated by the people not getting behind this team. I can’t tell you how many people bitched about us losing to Stony Brook and Elon.

Right now we’re 11-1 and our only loss was on the road and could have been a win. We’ve put ourselves in position for an ncaa tournament birth with a .500 league record and we ought to be packing it out. Instead we’re giving free concessions to the 1/3 of the arena that bother to show up.

You know I’m kinda frustrated by the people not getting behind this team. I can’t tell you how many people bitched about us losing to Stony Brook and Elon.

Right now we’re 11-1 and our only loss was on the road and could have been a win. We’ve put ourselves in position for an ncaa tournament birth with a .500 league record and we ought to be packing it out. Instead we’re giving free concessions to the 1/3 of the arena that bother to show up.
People know that the truth is yet to be revealed.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I am not saying we’re a top 15 team, but most current projections have us IN the NCAA tournament. Maybe we make it and maybe we don’t but the fan base could do a better job supporting this team. Staying away because you are skeptical of a team that is 11-1 is just a poor excuse to hide behind a computer screen and complain. Fans have a chance to directly impact this teams chances of making the tournament.

I know it will predictably get better for conference play. I hope we pack it out for Miss State. We should be embarrassed as a fan base if we can’t pack it out for a 12-1 team to start conference play. The apathy sucks. We should be fired up and excited for a team with tournament potential. Instead it’s yawn, whatever, I’ll wait and see, etc….and yet the same people wonder why we can’t compete with the blue bloods.

I don’t need a computer to tell me a bunch of crap about a “quad 1” win. I can see what a good team looks like with my own eyes. Our record, on paper, is nice. Winning 10 or 12 conference games is going to be one heck of a challenge. We will need to be deadly from the 3-point range.

So 11 wins matches last year win total and some of you are still complaining, sheesh tough crowd! I would call that an improvement and will be happy with a .500 record in conference and a shot at the dance and I would also call it improvement from a year two coach, I'm not sure what some of you were expecting form a program that has basically had to start from scratch two years in a row and it will surely look better than finishing DFL in the SEC which is where we were predicted by the writers. Find some joy!

Yep — this team isn’t nearly as good as they look in the current W/L column.
I think most of us can see that, we have a few nice mid-level wins, no big wins and no embarrassing loses like years past, I can see and accept why we are not ranked.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I get this feeling Paris has been working on our weaknesses the past few games getting ready for conference play... making these games a little tighter than they could have been. Just a feeling anyway. I've really enjoyed watching them. Paris is a good coach. If I'm a portal guy, I'm wanting to play for him.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Thanks for the update on Meechie.

In regards to the team, I am always happy to see us win regardless of the opponent. Seen too many losses in my lifetime to teams that we had no business losing to. My concern is centered around what I saw against CSU. I have watched them all year because my son is an alum. They are terrible. I have watched them get blown out by teams that we should beat by 20. For them to come to our place and actually threaten to win concerns me. I know we played them just after their longtime coach resigned and we were their NCAA game so they were fired up however..... Talent level should have taken over at some point and we should have won by at least 10. We had to fight to the end to win it. I can understand one smaller college team sneaking up on you in non conference play and giving you all you can handle but it seems,we have been in a couple of fights lately that shouldn't have been. Since the win against GW we have not played like we did earlier in the season. Not sure what changed but something did. If you look at who we have played it hasn't been level of competition. They may come out in conference play and surprise me. I hope so. But right now I see a team that might win 4 games in conference. We will see.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
They seem to be more competitive than last year. Josh Gray must be a foul machine and nothing else. He sits at the end of the bench towering over the other bench players. I don't know the quality of the SEC this year, but .500 in conference play should get them in the tournament. I think they are a worthy team. However I've seen us get screwed with a 20-9 record before.
We won’t know about Josh being a foul machine cause we don’t play him. A few years ago he would get 4-5 fouls called, and 3 may have been legit.

Reactions: bayrooster
Thanks for the update on Meechie.

In regards to the team, I am always happy to see us win regardless of the opponent. Seen too many losses in my lifetime to teams that we had no business losing to. My concern is centered around what I saw against CSU. I have watched them all year because my son is an alum. They are terrible. I have watched them get blown out by teams that we should beat by 20. For them to come to our place and actually threaten to win concerns me. I know we played them just after their longtime coach resigned and we were their NCAA game so they were fired up however..... Talent level should have taken over at some point and we should have won by at least 10. We had to fight to the end to win it. I can understand one smaller college team sneaking up on you in non conference play and giving you all you can handle but it seems,we have been in a couple of fights lately that shouldn't have been. Since the win against GW we have not played like we did earlier in the season. Not sure what changed but something did. If you look at who we have played it hasn't been level of competition. They may come out in conference play and surprise me. I hope so. But right now I see a team that might win 4 games in conference. We will see.
The big thing I would say against that was the CSU game occurred after a week long lay off due to final exams. It was good scheduling to play a bad team after a week off. It’s hard to simulate that in practice.

Conference wins won’t be easy but I some confidence helps.

The big thing I would say against that was the CSU game occurred after a week long lay off due to final exams. It was good scheduling to play a bad team after a week off. It’s hard to simulate that in practice.

Conference wins won’t be easy but I some confidence helps.
I agree Gamecockben. Maybe the week off contributed to that. We seemed to play better against Soon and turn it on in the second half. Hope that's a good sign. Got a feeling Florida A&M is going to look at us as a stepping stone. We better come out swinging and keep the momentum going into Mississippi State.

Yep — this team isn’t nearly as good as they look in the current W/L column.
Not really sure which way things are going to fall. I don't think anyone is. Either way, the truth is yet to be revealed. This weak pre-conference season could only have proven that we are bad, not established that we are good.

I know it is not official but for now Joe Lunardi projects us as the last team in his bracket. CBS sports has us in their bracket. Our RPI currently sits at 17.

Again not saying we’re going to make it but these are all indicators we are in the discussion and that these games do matter. I kinda expect the attendance for the next game to suck around new years….but then again it’s not like we have a bowl game to attend. But after that I really hope the CLA is rocking.

I have a hunch that we might have gotten lucky in the hiring of our basketball coach.
Time will tell, I think our shooting has gotten better, we're still playing tough D and turnovers are down, but we're still missing a plus swingman and a true big-man banger!

Last edited:
Time will tell, I think our shooting has gotten better, we're still playing tough D and turnovers are down, bit we're still missing a plus swingman and a true big-man banger!
I agree. Anyone who thinks we are "good to go", I think is mistaken. I don't think we are a NCAA Tourney team yet. Paris inherited a program that was in shambles. It will take time to bring in all the pieces to the puzzle.

I saw Frank on TV over the weekend coaching UMass. I liked the guy but he was the same ol Frank. Ranting on.
I know the man is in it for all the right reasons but it was hard to watch.

I saw Frank on TV over the weekend coaching UMass. I liked the guy but he was the same ol Frank. Ranting on.
I know the man is in it for all the right reasons but it was hard to watch.
I saw that too. I also noticed it *seemed* the camera would cut away as he would start to rip his player a new one. Maybe I was just more focused on that, but, yeah…. Same ole FM. So glad he’s gone.

I saw that too. I also noticed it *seemed* the camera would cut away as he would start to rip his player a new one. Maybe I was just more focused on that, but, yeah…. Same ole FM. So glad he’s gone.
And as usual, his team blew a large lead in the second half. Oh wait, much like we did against Clemson.

Apparently, some of the people posting on here either did not watch much of any of the games yet, or they really just don't understand basketball a whole lot.
The team playing out there this season is worlds better than last season. And Paris has them playing an entirely different style of ball.
I have seen Lamont send in subs from the bench and I just had to wonder "why did he do that?" But now I see it more clearly. Lamont is not trying to blow anyone away. He is intentionally not letting the opponents see what he can do with different lineups.
So, all you guys waiting on conference wins before you support him, you just don't understand what he is doing out there. I played enough basketball to see what is going on. Once conference starts, we will see some wins because of the team Lamont is building. If his plan doesn't work, it is because the players gave up. Lamont is doing all he can to make them better and he has lineups that are very impressive. He is still building this team to be a tourney team. I think they will make it, but you never know.
Lamont was a great hire, and he will make something happen here. He already has some great talent lined up for next year too.

Apparently, some of the people posting on here either did not watch much of any of the games yet, or they really just don't understand basketball a whole lot.
The team playing out there this season is worlds better than last season. And Paris has them playing an entirely different style of ball.
I have seen Lamont send in subs from the bench and I just had to wonder "why did he do that?" But now I see it more clearly. Lamont is not trying to blow anyone away. He is intentionally not letting the opponents see what he can do with different lineups.
So, all you guys waiting on conference wins before you support him, you just don't understand what he is doing out there. I played enough basketball to see what is going on. Once conference starts, we will see some wins because of the team Lamont is building. If his plan doesn't work, it is because the players gave up. Lamont is doing all he can to make them better and he has lineups that are very impressive. He is still building this team to be a tourney team. I think they will make it, but you never know.
Lamont was a great hire, and he will make something happen here. He already has some great talent lined up for next year too.
Perhaps he is not wanting to show his hand prior to conference play idk. My feeling is he's simply been giving the bench as much experience as possible and still win games... building the skill level and depth. Regardless, he's managing it well.

Perhaps he is not wanting to show his hand prior to conference play idk. My feeling is he's simply been giving the bench as much experience as possible and still win games... building the skill level and depth. Regardless, he's managing it well.
Yep, you have to mix and match and see who plays well together when one player gets in foul trouble or injured, plus no one can play the entire game and it is a game of matchups and they need to experience this in a stressful situation, ie in a close game. I think we look much better!

Reactions: bucketdad
Really need to recruit pretty hard all around for next year. A lot of upper classmen. What was the kids name last year that was supposed to be so good? Think he was one and done. I already forgot his name.

Really need to recruit pretty hard all around for next year. A lot of upper classmen. What was the kids name last year that was supposed to be so good? Think he was one and done. I already forgot his name.
GG Jackson. We do seem to have become a better team without him. He had talent. Lacked maturity. I hope he gets it. I do hope he makes it in the pros at some point.

Just going to bump this thread to the top. I kept receipts. Of course we had a packed house tonight and a really good Gamecock team played great. Maybe we can keep this up. Again if we win our home games we’re going dancing. We need every single seat sold.

Maybe some of the skeptics can hop on board. It’s not too late to see your team win some big games.

And as usual, his team blew a large lead in the second half. Oh wait, much like we did against Clemson.
At halftime I was expecting the team would blow the lead during the second half, but they just kept making those insane 3s and jamming inside shots. That long, long, long shot by Marcie was insane. Hope they can continue to play well in the de CB one half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT