ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile the Basketball team....

Bump. Still waiting on the malcontents to admit they were wrong about this team. There’s still room on the fan bus but the tickets to the games just got harder to come by. I would have posted earlier but I was at the arena enjoying us knocking off a top 10 team. Stuck in interstate traffic and it’s going to be a late night/early morning but it’s worth it to see a top 15 team in action…and I didn’t mean the Vols.

Get behind this team. There ought to be sell outs every single night from here on. Ole miss is a tough opponent (next home game) but the crowd can have an impact much like their crowd was probably the difference in their win tonight vs Miss State.

We should be in the tournament at this point, but we still have a month to go and are fighting for seeding for the SEC and NCAA tournaments. You asked for a tournament team. You’ve got one. Now go pack out the CLA.

Bump. Still waiting on the malcontents to admit they were wrong about this team. There’s still room on the fan bus but the tickets to the games just got harder to come by. I would have posted earlier but I was at the arena enjoying us knocking off a top 10 team. Stuck in interstate traffic and it’s going to be a late night/early morning but it’s worth it to see a top 15 team in action…and I didn’t mean the Vols.

Get behind this team. There ought to be sell outs every single night from here on. Ole miss is a tough opponent (next home game) but the crowd can have an impact much like their crowd was probably the difference in their win tonight vs Miss State.

We should be in the tournament at this point, but we still have a month to go and are fighting for seeding for the SEC and NCAA tournaments. You asked for a tournament team. You’ve got one. Now go pack out the CLA.
I don't know about you but I've been a diehard since 1968. I've seen a lot of bad and very little good since then. Some of us have been conditioned to be skeptical. We pull for our team as hard as we can but we're not about to talk crap after beating up on a bunch of patsies to start the year.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I don't know about you but I've been a diehard since 1968. I've seen a lot of bad and very little good since then. Some of us have been conditioned to be skeptical. We pull for our team as hard as we can but we're not about to talk crap after beating up on a bunch of patsies to start the year.
I'm there with you, but I've watched enough basketball to start getting a little giddy, folks we finally have a basketball coach! Lamont is showing me the complete package, teacher and psychologist, he's firm but not over the top, and we have a toughness for doing the little things, boxing out scrapping for loose balls, getting in a guys jock, and not relenting, closing off passing lanes and tipping balls, watching our fouls but giving them when we need to, so many little things that don't show up in the box score. Some of us question his substituting, but there is a purpose in his system. I wasn't overly excited with the hire only because I had no idea what we were getting and last year turned out to be a feeling-out process, but this year with a bunch of transfers and younger guys LP has got them working together and buying into his system and you can see he knows what he's doing even more!

Well I’m not as old as you so I’m going to start my fandom until the mid 80s, but I don’t think that makes me any less a diehard. If anything I’ve had a higher percentage of suffering and less overall success for Gamecock basketball in my lifetime while missing out on the winning of the late 60s and early 70s. I’d think attending road games and multiple men’s tournaments (when there haven’t been many chances) would probably qualify for die hard status. Not a lot of people doing that. There literally could not have been more than 50 gamecocks in the arena last night….and I’ve been to home games this year that felt like there were 50 or less.

It’s ok to be skeptical and I get that. But then again if you watch enough basketball you should have been able to see that this team is experienced and playing good basketball…long before the results of the past week.

The point of the post in late December was not to sunshine pump for beating DePaul. It was the fact that the non conference schedule was successful and just a .500 conference record would have put us in consideration for the tournament. It was a request for fans to pack the house. And it was met with yawns, “the truth shall be revealed” and other nuggets of wisdom about how this team was going to fall on its face.

I’ll give you credit. At least you responded. A lot of them are MIA and will only pop up if we lose a few. I’m looking forward to packed houses at home, a couple of fun road trips and hopefully a great draw on selection Sunday and an ncaa tournament run.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I'm incredibly surprised by this team, but they seem legit as long as they continue to pay great defense. I'd like to think they could be even better when Meechie gets back on track. What is up with bosmans-verdonk? Will he be available eventually? Could be better with him and a slightly more productive Josh Gray.

I'm incredibly surprised by this team, but they seem legit as long as they continue to pay great defense. I'd like to think they could be even better when Meechie gets back on track. What is up with bosmans-verdonk? Will he be available eventually? Could be better with him and a slightly more productive Josh Gray.
Good question. Not sure. Could be the doghouse. Could be other guys are just outplaying him. Could be an injury. Also it’s not unusual to shorten up the bench come conference time so there are some guys seeing less minutes.

We were fortunate last night. Tennessee missed a lot of layups and free throws they don’t usually miss. But when you are good you create a lot of luck too. We move the ball around well, create good driving lanes and slow the offense down and that frustrates a lot of people. We are good defensively but because we milk the clock on offense we also spend less possessions on defense per game and that helps as well.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Well I’m not as old as you so I’m going to start my fandom until the mid 80s, but I don’t think that makes me any less a diehard. If anything I’ve had a higher percentage of suffering and less overall success for Gamecock basketball in my lifetime while missing out on the winning of the late 60s and early 70s. I’d think attending road games and multiple men’s tournaments (when there haven’t been many chances) would probably qualify for die hard status. Not a lot of people doing that. There literally could not have been more than 50 gamecocks in the arena last night….and I’ve been to home games this year that felt like there were 50 or less.

It’s ok to be skeptical and I get that. But then again if you watch enough basketball you should have been able to see that this team is experienced and playing good basketball…long before the results of the past week.

The point of the post in late December was not to sunshine pump for beating DePaul. It was the fact that the non conference schedule was successful and just a .500 conference record would have put us in consideration for the tournament. It was a request for fans to pack the house. And it was met with yawns, “the truth shall be revealed” and other nuggets of wisdom about how this team was going to fall on its face.

I’ll give you credit. At least you responded. A lot of them are MIA and will only pop up if we lose a few. I’m looking forward to packed houses at home, a couple of fun road trips and hopefully a great draw on selection Sunday and an ncaa tournament run.
Wow, you were right — pin a rose on your a$$. There’s still many games to go before I call it a successful season though. BTW, you do realize that your “I was right!” Posts make you sound like the fat kid in 6th grade that was always last in everything but is the only kid in the class to get a 100 on this week’s spelling test. Lighten up my friend — it’s a message board where people express their opinions. Sometimes we’re right, sometimes we’re wrong.

Wow, you were right — pin a rose on your a$$. There’s still many games to go before I call it a successful season though. BTW, you do realize that your “I was right!” Posts make you sound like the fat kid in 6th grade that was always last in everything but is the only kid in the class to get a 100 on this week’s spelling test. Lighten up my friend — it’s a message board where people express their opinions. Sometimes we’re right, sometimes we’re wrong.
Sounds like your ass is a little chapped from being off about your own team. I’m fine with the opinions. I may agree. I may disagree. I’ve been wrong about many things on here. I’ll be the first to admit it.

If we make the tournament it’s a successful season. That hasn’t happened for most of the last 40 years. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

We’d probably have to go 2-8 or worse to not make it. It’s not impossible but it’s highly unlikely. Strength of schedule is only getting better.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Paris is getting the most out of these young men. We have a true team. What a breath of fresh air.
I've heard him say that he can beat you with 75% of your talent. He must have developed some sort of formula for this because it seems he makes up the talent gap by doing those little things that I described. I'll also add creating turnovers and limiting turnovers to that list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT