ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball Postseason?

Cocky_11

Jan 31, 2014
As of now looking like NIT but if we win the rest of the regular season games that puts us at 18 wins, obviously if we win the tourney we are in automatically in but say we get to the champ game and lose , I think that is 4 wins and puts us at 22 wins , do we get in? We have some quality wins and but some ugly losses, what's everything think?

Very very long shot. I can’t see us getting an at large bid, I’m pretty sure the 6 game skid buried the at large chance.

Have to win the SEC

I think we have to win the SEC tourney to get in. Even if we were to win out the regular season, we'd finish 9-9 in conference with an 18-13 record. We would probably be 8th or 9th in the league and we don't have an impressive non-conference resume.

I don't think our non-conference schedule is too bad... Clemson (no. 15), Texas Tech (no. 6), Va Tech, Temple, Wyoming....

It would, however, take a really strong finish to get in the conversation for the NCAA tourney.

If we win at Miss St., beat LSU at home, lose to Auburn... a really good run in the conf tourney (win 3 games) might be enough. That leaves us at 20 - 15. The committee likes teams that are 'hot'. Of course it would also depend on what else is happening. When the favorites don't win their conf tournament, it sometimes gives two slots to a conf that would normally only have one.

That being said, I'd like us to finish strong and at least play well in the NIT. Build some momentum for what I think could be a very good year in 2018-19 (assuming Bowen gets eligible). Even without him we could be pretty good.

I think we have to win out regular season and at least get to SEC championship game to have a shot. In that scenario we are 21-14.....and even then it might be a long shot. Our RPI is not that great, but our program should have built up some respect after last year's tournament run it if comes down to us and another team. Seriously though, we probably just need to win the SEC tournament. If this team plays like it is capable of playing, it's not a long to shot to think we could win the tournament. Biggest challenge is going to be to get these guys to play well for 4 straight days.

I don't think our non-conference schedule is too bad... Clemson (no. 15), Texas Tech (no. 6), Va Tech, Temple, Wyoming....

It would, however, take a really strong finish to get in the conversation for the NCAA tourney.

If we win at Miss St., beat LSU at home, lose to Auburn... a really good run in the conf tourney (win 3 games) might be enough. That leaves us at 20 - 15. The committee likes teams that are 'hot'. Of course it would also depend on what else is happening. When the favorites don't win their conf tournament, it sometimes gives two slots to a conf that would normally only have one.

That being said, I'd like us to finish strong and at least play well in the NIT. Build some momentum for what I think could be a very good year in 2018-19 (assuming Bowen gets eligible). Even without him we could be pretty good.
Our non-conference schedule featured losses to Clemson and Texas Tech. Temple is below the middle of their conference (and we lost this one.) Wyoming is middle of the pack, too. And we didn't play Va Tech. That was a televised scrimmage...which we also lost.
Our non-conference resume is awful.

Need at least 20 wins for the NCAA tournament and I think we'd have to get at least 18 for the NIT

I get a kick out of how some people on this board make unequivocal statements of "fact" without giving any basis for their statements. No "I think" to be had. No "In my opinion, based on . . . ." Just FACT: "17 wins won't get us in the NIT." Is that true? Heck, I don't know, but this guy certainly thinks it is.

I think we have to win out regular season and at least get to SEC championship game to have a shot. In that scenario we are 21-14.....and even then it might be a long shot. Our RPI is not that great, but our program "should" have built up some respect after last year's tournament run it if comes down to us and another team. Seriously though, we probably just need to win the SEC tournament. If this team plays like it is capable of playing, it's not a long to shot to think we could win the tournament. Biggest challenge is going to be to get these guys to play well for 4 straight days.

I agree with you, but I don't give the "NCAA" selection committee this level of credit. Please look at the screw job from 2016.

NIT, & you can make book on that.

553395.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT