ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp from a Gator's perspective

Cool. I guess Brissett and Driskell will go win Super Bowl MVPs now.
To be honest with you Beckham don't be surprised if that happens. Remember a few years back when Russell Wilson graduated early from NC State and was wanting to transfer schools. I felt that he would've been a major upgrade over Stephen Garcia. But of course our fans always bring up the fact that USC beat Wilson and his NC State Wolf pack team in our head to head battles. So now we revisit Russell Wilson a few years later and now he's won one Superbowl and nearly won another. If Spurrier would've listen to me we would've won the SEC by now. Smh!

The most interesting thing you said was: "Muschamp is the very definition of stubborn." He earned that reputation of being stubborn at Texas as well. At Texas he was DC, so his issues with the offense didn't show. We thought him a good DC, maybe he is. But he was criticized for staying with a player or tactic too long, being too stubborn to change, even though everyone else in the stadium saw it was needed. But he worked hard, recruited defensive players well, was enthusiastic, and defenses seemed to work fairly well. Sounds like a HC that needs a good OC and let the OC handle the offense.

I am confused as to why some think Foley micromanaged or forced things on Muschamp. I have never heard that opinion here in Gainesville. How did that theory come about?
107.5 with H. Cline had a guest on from someone that covers the Gators (don't Remember his name) after the hire and they talked about Foley having input on the OC position. They were both saying that the AD had a lot to do on what coach did at Florida. Cline covered the Gators when Steve was there so he has insiders there.

Reactions: NetworkX
Full disclosure.......this is very long and detailed, skip it if you don;t want a long read

I have always felt an affinity for the Gamecocks. As a Gator fan I have always rooted for Spurrier no matter where he was. I also selfishly want every team on our schedule, especially the SEC East teams, to be strong national contenders. The tougher our schedule the more it helps us get recognition.

That is why I was so dismayed when South Carolina hired Muschamp. I understand why some think it is a good hire. He fooled a lot of Gators as well. I also understand why many Gamecock fans are trying to be positive regardless of what they actually think. I get it. I just think it is misguided.

I have heard a lot of people claim that Muschamp will become a great coach. He has supporters. They can never tell you what exactly it is though that will transform him into a good coach. They just say that he is enthusiastic and likable.

My dog is enthusiastic and likeable, that will never make her a good football coach. On the other hand, I can explain exactly how Muschamp failed at Florida.

Developing a Plan for Success

When Spurrier arrived at Florida he immediately announced that he had no idea who his starting QB was going to be, but he would win the SEC player of the year award. Then he took a 4th string QB named Shane Matthews and turned him into the SEC player of the year.

Spurrier in his prime had developed a proven system that he knew would work. He had a plan.

When Muschamp arrived he simply stated that we would be a blue collar team that worked hard, ran downhill and played a line of scrimmage game. He had no plan, he just had a vague idea of what he wanted his team to look like.

Recruiting

To run downhill and win a line of scrimmage game you need OL. Lots of OL. In the first two years that Muschamp was the head coach at UF he recruited a total of 4 OL. In contrast, during that same time period he recruited 11 players for the secondary which happens to be the position he takes great pride in coaching.

Florida is considered one of the best recruiting grounds for skill players in the country. UF has a built in natural advantage with it's location. Every UF coach has recruited well. However, Muschamp could not land top ranked offensive skill position players on a consistent basis.

It was obvious that Muschamp was not going to field an offense with a passing dimension. Wide receivers were blockers and quarterbacks were just there to hand the ball off.

He tends to get highly rated recruiting classes, but he stocks up on defensive players and completely neglects the offense.

Offense

In his time at Florida he changed offensive coordinators as often as most people change underwear. The offense did not work under any of them. The truly curious thing though is that the offense always looked exactly the same regardless of who the OC was.

Our offense ran the ball on first down a very high percentage of the time. Muschamp made it clear over and over that he wanted a hard nosed running team. While he was the head coach at UF he said, on more than one occasion, that when you throw the ball only three things can happen and two of them are bad.

When your offense has clear, well defined tendencies it is easy to game plan a defense. Stack the box on first down and create second and long. Our offensive line was undisciplined, but they also appeared to lack talent (more on that later). It is hard for even highly talented lines to open holes when the defense knows what you are doing. Muschamp's offense was always ranked near the bottom nationally.

The only offensive statistic that Muschamp continually referenced was time of possession. He truly cared about winning time of possession. His philosophy is that the purpose of the offense is to run clock so the defense can stay rested and win the game.

There were multiple occasions when Florida would find itself losing the game and in possession of the ball in good field position with only a couple of minutes left in the first half. Muschamp was very consistent in that situation. He would run the clock out. He purposefully made the decision to not try to score points.

It is not embellishment to say that Muschamp hates offense.

Defense

Muschamp recruited, fielded and game planned very good defenses while at UF. They were some of the most talented defenses I have ever personally seen at UF. However, they completely lacked discipline. It was a common thing for the defense to get a critical third or fourth down stop and then commit a stupid dead ball personal foul. That is basically a defensive turnover. They gave the ball back to the other team.

For me, it was easy to see how this was repeatedly happening. In any organization the person at the top sets a culture. Everyone else gets permissions from that person on acceptable behavior within the organization.

Muschamp was always out of control on the sidelines. The man is seemingly incapable of controlling his emotions. It is a detriment to the team. I have witnessed him ignoring the game and violently screaming at the referees over something that happened several plays ago. He loses all perspective and the ability to focus on what is currently happening.

Then his defense commits an emotional dead ball personal foul and gives the ball back to the other team. Muschamp sets a culture where it is acceptable to lose self control and focus.

I honestly think there is a small chance that Muschamp's coaching career will one day end with him punching a referee.

Responsibility

There is no doubt that Muschamp is a hard worker. This section is not about that type of responsibility. In order to evolve and grow you must accept responsibility for the choices, actions and results in your life. Everyone makes errors, the truly successful use that experience to adapt. Basically, there are two types of coaches, those who achieve at a high level and those who have really good reasons why they do not. Muschamp falls in the latter category.

When Muschamp started losing he constantly told anyone that would listen that when he arrived the cupboard was bare. He was eager to blame the previous regime for his current lack of success.

However, the numbers do not back up that claim. Muschamp inherited 18 players that would eventually be drafted by the NFL. Three more Gators that played for Muschamp are expected to be drafted this year and more will be next year as well. There are a lot of college coaches that would love to have that many future NFL players on their roster.

Yet even with all that talent Muschamp could only manage 28 wins. His 2013 4-8 record was the worst at UF since the Gators last had a losing record in 1979. That year Muschamp found a new excuse - injuries.

Actually, injuries plagued every Muschamp team at Florida. A long list of injured players was a mainstay during his tenure. Many wondered if it had anything to do with the revamped strength and conditioning program led by newly hired assistant coach Jeff Dillman. There is no proof of any connection, but the unusually large number of injuries sustained over a long period of time might suggest a need to reevaluate the strength and conditioning program. As per usual with Muschamp, he stubbornly stayed the course. If nothing else, he is very loyal. He has hired Dillman again at South Carolina.

Even with all of the injuries, no one saw the loss to Georgia Southern coming. Florida had one of the most highly rated defenses in the nation. The game was being played at the Swamp. Florida had never in it's entire history lost to a lower tier football program.

In addition, lower tier programs are not allowed to have the 85 scholarship players upper division teams can sign. Florida had 20 more scholarship players than their lowly opponent. To top it off, Georgia Southern had also experienced an inordinate number of injuries. They were actually missing more injured starters than UF. Georgia Southern had to start a third string OL due to injuries. I am not sure what level of talent a third string Ga Southern player possesses, but I am fairly certain it would not earn you a scholarship at UF.

In that game Georgia Southern only attempted three passes and they did not complete any. Not one completion. Our defensive genius head coach was playing with a stacked deck. He had every conceivable advantage and he lost.

Georgia Southern ran for 429 yards averaging just under 8 yards per carry. They had 3 different running backs with a long run over 40 yards. This even though we only allowed them 57 offensive plays. Georgia Southern turned the ball over twice and the Gators did not have a single turnover. The Gators were only flagged for 2 penalties the entire game. Still, Muschamp found a way to lose.

This is the same Georgia Southern team that lost to Wofford, Samford, Furman and got blown out by Appalachian State. It is inexplicable.

When you have already lost the confidence of the fan base and then you lose to Georgia Southern in that fashion, you come to the press conference and admit that what you are doing is simply not working. You just come clean and announce that you are going to have to reevaluate, learn from the experience and change how you do things.

Not Muschamp. Muschamp showed his usual lack of composure and yelled about midlines. He actually tried to convince everyone that Georgia Southern's offense is just unstoppable. He explained that they won by utilizing midlines and I quote "midlines take the talent out of the equation". He never bothered to explain why, given his knowledge of magical midlines, we did not use them to help our offense. Apparently, Georgia Southern has a monopoly on midlines.

Muschamp is the very definition of stubborn. He remains convinced that he did everything absolutely right at UF and it was forces outside his control that caused his downfall. He would rather lose using his dysfunctional system than admit he is wrong and change.

I honestly believe that he brought so many of his ex-Gator assistant coaches to South Carolina because he wants to prove that he can win without changing anything.

Developing Players

As stated previously, Muschamp had a lot of future NFL talent on his teams. He excelled at developing defensive talent. His record with offensive talent is not as impressive.

Muschamp had no intention of developing a high powered offense. He was going to win games with his defense. In his mind, he just needed an offense that would not turn the ball over and his defense would do everything else. That meant minimal passing and lots of punting for field position.

Jacoby Brissett was the QB under Muschamp for a period of time. In 2 seasons at UF he threw for 455 yards with 3 TDs, 4 INTs and 5 sacks. He transferred to NC State and promptly became the starter (after the obligatory one year transfer rule). In 2 seasons at NC State he has thrown for 5,054 yards with 42 TDs, 9 INTs and 61 sacks.

High School Gatorade National Player of the Year Jeff Driskell played so poorly in Muschamp's system he was almost universally disliked by Florida fans. In 4 seasons at UF (medical redshirt) he threw for 3,411 yards with 23 TDs, 20 Ints and 55 sacks. In his one season after transferring to La Tech he has thrown for 4,033 yards with 27 TDs, 8 Ints and 19 sacks.

Both are very capable QB's that could not find any success in Muschamp's system. That pattern holds true for many offensive players that have found success once they were free of Muschamp's offensive philosophy.

Constantly changing offensive coordinators made no difference because no matter who was in the position, they had to run Muschamp's offense. Minimal passing, minimal risk, run clock and let the defense win the game. There was very little room to actually develop offensive players.

The one bright spot is that you can always count on Muschamp to have really good reasons why his teams fail to achieve.

An ole client/friend who is a gator alumni and played for obc at UF disagrees. His family are "Bull Gator" 100k/year members and a one-time 5M plus donor...told me that WM was a good hire. ALSO, ML was on the selection committee and gave a final "thumbs-up" as well, What is your connection to UF and are you saying Marcus and the committee screwed-up. A personal friend of mine was on the committee and liked the hire as well...again, who are you???

SEMPER FI...Go Cocks!!!...

holtz-pressurecleaning.....

I think you are probably referring to my original post.....maybe not.

The original post was already mostly written as I have been corresponding with a fellow Gator that is a Muschamp supporter. I simply adapted it for this forum.

I decided to post it after reading several of the posts here about Muschamp. I thought some might be interested in reading a bit more detailed explanation of who Muschamp was while at Florida. It never hurts to have more information.

As far as caring about the Gamecocks it is mostly the Spurrier ties. Although, I have had Gamecocks tailgate with me in Gainesville and I have been to Brice many times. One of my favorite road trips (right behind Nashville).

I would not call it caring so much as a casual affinity.

SEMPER FI........

If you were in the Marines, God bless you and thank you for your service.

We don't have to agree on the quality of the hire, I am simply sharing my opinion as that is what forums are for.

I acknowledged in my original post that Muschamp has supporters. I simply think they are wrong. I have never heard a supporter point to evidence of what makes him a good coach other than generics like "works hard" or "enthusiastic". I hear a lot of people talk about potential and what he says he will do. I can give very specific reasons for my opinion. Of course, it may still be wrong.

Exactly how much money do you have to donate to have a valid opinion and does it matter who I give it to?

On a related note, should we compare incomes so we can tell which of us is right?

SEMPER FI........

If you were in the Marines, God bless you and thank you for your service.

We don't have to agree on the quality of the hire, I am simply sharing my opinion as that is what forums are for.

I acknowledged in my original post that Muschamp has supporters. I simply think they are wrong. I have never heard a supporter point to evidence of what makes him a good coach other than generics like "works hard" or "enthusiastic". I hear a lot of people talk about potential and what he says he will do. I can give very specific reasons for my opinion. Of course, it may still be wrong.

Exactly how much money do you have to donate to have a valid opinion and does it matter who I give it to?

On a related note, should we compare incomes so we can tell which of us is right?

yes/USMC Aviation...3 people I hold in high regard disagree with you(your foly comment says you are not in-the-know)...400Kplus/year(bho and company gets about 185k/year of it)...

SEMPER FI......

LOL. I am sure you know I was being sarcastic, but the reply is funny nonetheless.

It's the internet, why lowball it?

I currently make 79 billion. A week.

Does that make my opinion right? LOL

Happy New Year Semper Fi

Reactions: RoosterBooster1
SEMPER FI......

LOL. I am sure you know I was being sarcastic, but the reply is funny nonetheless.

It's the internet, why lowball it?

I currently make 79 billion. A week.

Does that make my opinion right? LOL

Happy New Year Semper Fi

...my response was not intended to be funny or lol...what time do you, bill, and wb tee-off tomorrow, i'll park your limo's...

Sounds like a HC that needs a good OC and let the OC handle the offense.
This right here says it all. IF Champ has learned some things from his previous HC stop & will stay out of the offense & know that you need to be good in all 3 phases of the game, we'll be fine & he could wind up winning a bunch of games while here at SC. If he doesn't, we could be headed down the wrong path that the initial poster is claiming will happen. I for one am hoping Champ will do things differently, eventually win big, & Tanner is one day praised for making the hire most said was a terrible one.

Sounds like the Spurrier bashers from Gatorville who told us he was washed up and would never beat Florida. Man I loved that first game....

You must have a ton of time on your hands to write all that lol. In all honestly I appreciate your opinion, and you obviously know Muschamp better than almost anyone on this board, but people are supposed to learn from their mistakes. Maybe Muschamp has, and he will let Roper handle the offense exclusively. That's pretty much what I took from what you said. If he had a Chad Morris like Dabo did, he would be fine. Let the man handle recruiting and defense. And let's pray he gets his temper under control.

YEAH, THAT GUY HAD A TON OF TIME ON HIS HAND. From his own words, this guy should be GLAD--HE SHOULD BE GLAD for Florida. Something doesn't quite add up here.

I understand the optimism. Honestly I do. I just don't think Muschamp is going to change. In contrast, I think he is on a mission to recreate everything as it was so he can prove everyone wrong.

Only time will tell.
Appreciate your above post. To reply to this post. Muschamp has acknowledged that he tried to force a square peg into a round hole. He also realizes that there has to be more of a balance between the offense and defense.

Now I would like to ask you a serious question. How with a new offensive (minded) coach and a winning record you end up with the same QB that finished with Muschamp playing at the end of the year? Also, explain how with this great new coach (offensive guru) you score zero points against your rival? ZERO! (Defense 2)
tbGameCock.....

McElwain actually had to change our spring game this year and run more of a scrimmage type game because we did not have enough OL to field two teams. Muschamp really hates using scholarships on OL.

During the regular season the Gators started 3 different true freshmen on the offensive line. These were players that McElwain recruited at the last minute that came in and beat out the guys that were signed by Muschamp. Arguably our biggest playmaker on offense was the true freshman WR Callaway. He was the one that took a pass 63 yards on 4th and 14 to beat Tennessee.

In addition, our QB Will Grier was actually showing improvement and growth in the half season he played. When Grier was suspended we were forced to go back to Treon Harris.

Treon is a player from Miami that was highly recruited as a DB and was not considering UF. When Muschamp hired Roper he immediately went after Treon as a QB. We were the only school willing to let him play QB and he signed. Treon is listed at 5'11", but is probably shorter and I can not count the number of balls that get knocked out of the air at the line of scrimmage. He consistently underthrows his receivers because he just does not have the arm to make the throws. He just simply does not have the physical attributes necessary to be an effective QB in the SEC. Yet, McElwain still found a way to get to Atlanta with Treon under center. Muschamp was never able to win a title of any kind.

McElwain just signed the #2 ranked QB, the #1 ranked kicker (another serious position of need) and McElwain's first true UF recruiting class is ranked in the top 10 by everyone and is number one on at least one site.

McElwain has a proven offensive system that has won NC's. He also does not make excuses. When we lost recently he just came right out and said that we looked horrible. He supported Treon, but acknowledged that he was not playing at the necessary level. Then he stated that the coaches needed to do a better job putting him in a position to succeed.

He has a plan, he develops players, he recruits well, he stays out of the way of the defensive coordinator, he holds himself and everyone else accountable. This year the Gators had fewer penalty yards than any team Muschamp fielded. We did not have a single offensive lineman in a sustained block of our own player (If you don't know what I am talking about google it, embarrassing). I could be wrong, but I think he will achieve at a high level. Only time will tell how high his ceiling may be.

By the way, I did not like Muschamp after his very first press conference at UF. i was convinced he would fail.

I will say this: As of right this second and from what I have witnessed since he arrived. I think he is what and who we needed at this time. We have been soft and we have basically quit recruiting the last two years. I am excited for our future and respect your opinion. But I'm not going to let a Florida fan whose offense could not score a single point against a down FSU team come over here and tell me how you really like SC and then preceed to tell how everything is going to hell in a hand basket. We will see you next year!

tbGameCock.....

McElwain actually had to change our spring game this year and run more of a scrimmage type game because we did not have enough OL to field two teams. Muschamp really hates using scholarships on OL.

During the regular season the Gators started 3 different true freshmen on the offensive line. These were players that McElwain recruited at the last minute that came in and beat out the guys that were signed by Muschamp. Arguably our biggest playmaker on offense was the true freshman WR Callaway. He was the one that took a pass 63 yards on 4th and 14 to beat Tennessee.

In addition, our QB Will Grier was actually showing improvement and growth in the half season he played. When Grier was suspended we were forced to go back to Treon Harris.

Treon is a player from Miami that was highly recruited as a DB and was not considering UF. When Muschamp hired Roper he immediately went after Treon as a QB. We were the only school willing to let him play QB and he signed. Treon is listed at 5'11", but is probably shorter and I can not count the number of balls that get knocked out of the air at the line of scrimmage. He consistently underthrows his receivers because he just does not have the arm to make the throws. He just simply does not have the physical attributes necessary to be an effective QB in the SEC. Yet, McElwain still found a way to get to Atlanta with Treon under center. Muschamp was never able to win a title of any kind.

McElwain just signed the #2 ranked QB, the #1 ranked kicker (another serious position of need) and McElwain's first true UF recruiting class is ranked in the top 10 by everyone and is number one on at least one site.

McElwain has a proven offensive system that has won NC's. He also does not make excuses. When we lost recently he just came right out and said that we looked horrible. He supported Treon, but acknowledged that he was not playing at the necessary level. Then he stated that the coaches needed to do a better job putting him in a position to succeed.

He has a plan, he develops players, he recruits well, he stays out of the way of the defensive coordinator, he holds himself and everyone else accountable. This year the Gators had fewer penalty yards than any team Muschamp fielded. We did not have a single offensive lineman in a sustained block of our own player (If you don't know what I am talking about google it, embarrassing). I could be wrong, but I think he will achieve at a high level. Only time will tell how high his ceiling may be.

By the way, I did not like Muschamp after his very first press conference at UF. i was convinced he would fail.
I would have never guessed that you didn't like him. Lol.

Full disclosure.......this is very long and detailed, skip it if you don;t want a long read

I have always felt an affinity for the Gamecocks. As a Gator fan I have always rooted for Spurrier no matter where he was. I also selfishly want every team on our schedule, especially the SEC East teams, to be strong national contenders. The tougher our schedule the more it helps us get recognition.

That is why I was so dismayed when South Carolina hired Muschamp. I understand why some think it is a good hire. He fooled a lot of Gators as well. I also understand why many Gamecock fans are trying to be positive regardless of what they actually think. I get it. I just think it is misguided.

I have heard a lot of people claim that Muschamp will become a great coach. He has supporters. They can never tell you what exactly it is though that will transform him into a good coach. They just say that he is enthusiastic and likable.

My dog is enthusiastic and likeable, that will never make her a good football coach. On the other hand, I can explain exactly how Muschamp failed at Florida.

When Spurrier arrived at Florida he immediately announced that he had no idea who his starting QB was going to be, but he would win the SEC player of the year award. Then he took a 4th string QB named Shane Matthews and turned him into the SEC player of the year.

Spurrier in his prime had developed a proven system that he knew would work. He had a plan.

When Muschamp arrived he simply stated that we would be a blue collar team that worked hard, ran downhill and played a line of scrimmage game. He had no plan, he just had a vague idea of what he wanted his team to look like.

Recruiting

To run downhill and win a line of scrimmage game you need OL. Lots of OL. In the first two years that Muschamp was the head coach at UF he recruited a total of 4 OL. In contrast, during that same time period he recruited 11 players for the secondary which happens to be the position he takes great pride in coaching.

Florida is considered one of the best recruiting grounds for skill players in the country. UF has a built in natural advantage with it's location. Every UF coach has recruited well. However, Muschamp could not land top ranked offensive skill position players on a consistent basis.

It was obvious that Muschamp was not going to field an offense with a passing dimension. Wide receivers were blockers and quarterbacks were just there to hand the ball off.

He tends to get highly rated recruiting classes, but he stocks up on defensive players and completely neglects the offense.

Offense

In his time at Florida he changed offensive coordinators as often as most people change underwear. The offense did not work under any of them. The truly curious thing though is that the offense always looked exactly the same regardless of who the OC was.

Our offense ran the ball on first down a very high percentage of the time. Muschamp made it clear over and over that he wanted a hard nosed running team. While he was the head coach at UF he said, on more than one occasion, that when you throw the ball only three things can happen and two of them are bad.

When your offense has clear, well defined tendencies it is easy to game plan a defense. Stack the box on first down and create second and long. Our offensive line was undisciplined, but they also appeared to lack talent (more on that later). It is hard for even highly talented lines to open holes when the defense knows what you are doing. Muschamp's offense was always ranked near the bottom nationally.

The only offensive statistic that Muschamp continually referenced was time of possession. He truly cared about winning time of possession. His philosophy is that the purpose of the offense is to run clock so the defense can stay rested and win the game.

There were multiple occasions when Florida would find itself losing the game and in possession of the ball in good field position with only a couple of minutes left in the first half. Muschamp was very consistent in that situation. He would run the clock out. He purposefully made the decision to not try to score points.

Defense

Muschamp recruited, fielded and game planned very good defenses while at UF. They were some of the most talented defenses I have ever personally seen at UF. However, they completely lacked discipline. It was a common thing for the defense to get a critical third or fourth down stop and then commit a stupid dead ball personal foul. That is basically a defensive turnover. They gave the ball back to the other team.

For me, it was easy to see how this was repeatedly happening. In any organization the person at the top sets a culture. Everyone else gets permissions from that person on acceptable behavior within the organization.

Muschamp was always out of control on the sidelines. The man is seemingly incapable of controlling his emotions. It is a detriment to the team. I have witnessed him ignoring the game and violently screaming at the referees over something that happened several plays ago. He loses all perspective and the ability to focus on what is currently happening.

Then his defense commits an emotional dead ball personal foul and gives the ball back to the other team. Muschamp sets a culture where it is acceptable to lose self control and focus.

I honestly think there is a small chance that Muschamp's coaching career will one day end with him punching a referee.

Responsibility

There is no doubt that Muschamp is a hard worker. This section is not about that type of responsibility. In order to evolve and grow you must accept responsibility for the choices, actions and results in your life. Everyone makes errors, the truly successful use that experience to adapt. Basically, there are two types of coaches, those who achieve at a high level and those who have really good reasons why they do not. Muschamp falls in the latter category.

When Muschamp started losing he constantly told anyone that would listen that when he arrived the cupboard was bare. He was eager to blame the previous regime for his current lack of success.

However, the numbers do not back up that claim. Muschamp inherited 18 players that would eventually be drafted by the NFL. Three more Gators that played for Muschamp are expected to be drafted this year and more will be next year as well. There are a lot of college coaches that would love to have that many future NFL players on their roster.

Yet even with all that talent Muschamp could only manage 28 wins. His 2013 4-8 record was the worst at UF since the Gators last had a losing record in 1979. That year Muschamp found a new excuse - injuries.

Actually, injuries plagued every Muschamp team at Florida. A long list of injured players was a mainstay during his tenure. Many wondered if it had anything to do with the revamped strength and conditioning program led by newly hired assistant coach Jeff Dillman. There is no proof of any connection, but the unusually large number of injuries sustained over a long period of time might suggest a need to reevaluate the strength and conditioning program. As per usual with Muschamp, he stubbornly stayed the course. If nothing else, he is very loyal. He has hired Dillman again at South Carolina.

Even with all of the injuries, no one saw the loss to Georgia Southern coming. Florida had one of the most highly rated defenses in the nation. The game was being played at the Swamp. Florida had never in it's entire history lost to a lower tier football program.

In addition, lower tier programs are not allowed to have the 85 scholarship players upper division teams can sign. Florida had 20 more scholarship players than their lowly opponent. To top it off, Georgia Southern had also experienced an inordinate number of injuries. They were actually missing more injured starters than UF. Georgia Southern had to start a third string OL due to injuries. I am not sure what level of talent a third string Ga Southern player possesses, but I am fairly certain it would not earn you a scholarship at UF.

In that game Georgia Southern only attempted three passes and they did not complete any. Not one completion. Our defensive genius head coach was playing with a stacked deck. He had every conceivable advantage and he lost.

Georgia Southern ran for 429 yards averaging just under 8 yards per carry. They had 3 different running backs with a long run over 40 yards. This even though we only allowed them 57 offensive plays. Georgia Southern turned the ball over twice and the Gators did not have a single turnover. The Gators were only flagged for 2 penalties the entire game. Still, Muschamp found a way to lose.

This is the same Georgia Southern team that lost to Wofford, Samford, Furman and got blown out by Appalachian State. It is inexplicable.

When you have already lost the confidence of the fan base and then you lose to Georgia Southern in that fashion, you come to the press conference and admit that what you are doing is simply not working. You just come clean and announce that you are going to have to reevaluate, learn from the experience and change how you do things.

Not Muschamp. Muschamp showed his usual lack of composure and yelled about midlines. He actually tried to convince everyone that Georgia Southern's offense is just unstoppable. He explained that they won by utilizing midlines and I quote "midlines take the talent out of the equation". He never bothered to explain why, given his knowledge of magical midlines, we did not use them to help our offense. Apparently, Georgia Southern has a monopoly on midlines.

Muschamp is the very definition of stubborn. He remains convinced that he did everything absolutely right at UF and it was forces outside his control that caused his downfall. He would rather lose using his dysfunctional system than admit he is wrong and change.

I honestly believe that he brought so many of his ex-Gator assistant coaches to South Carolina because he wants to prove that he can win without changing anything.

Developing Players

As stated previously, Muschamp had a lot of future NFL talent on his teams. He excelled at developing defensive talent. His record with offensive talent is not as impressive.

Muschamp had no intention of developing a high powered offense. He was going to win games with his defense. In his mind, he just needed an offense that would not turn the ball over and his defense would do everything else. That meant minimal passing and lots of punting for field position.

Jacoby Brissett was the QB under Muschamp for a period of time. In 2 seasons at UF he threw for 455 yards with 3 TDs, 4 INTs and 5 sacks. He transferred to NC State and promptly became the starter (after the obligatory one year transfer rule). In 2 seasons at NC State he has thrown for 5,054 yards with 42 TDs, 9 INTs and 61 sacks.

High School Gatorade National Player of the Year Jeff Driskell played so poorly in Muschamp's system he was almost universally disliked by Florida fans. In 4 seasons at UF (medical redshirt) he threw for 3,411 yards with 23 TDs, 20 Ints and 55 sacks. In his one season after transferring to La Tech he has thrown for 4,033 yards with 27 TDs, 8 Ints and 19 sacks.

Both are very capable QB's that could not find any success in Muschamp's system. That pattern holds true for many offensive players that have found success once they were free of Muschamp's offensive philosophy.

Constantly changing offensive coordinators made no difference because no matter who was in the position, they had to run Muschamp's offense. Minimal passing, minimal risk, run clock and let the defense win the game. There was very little room to actually develop offensive players.

The one bright spot is that you can always count on Muschamp to have really good reasons why his teams fail to achieve.

Really, who cares what a fan from an SEC East rival thinks? I read the opening few sentences and knew exactly where you were headed. Your goal can be none other than to bring your Gator superiority complex and puke it on our site. Please leave.

I am confused as to why some think Foley micromanaged or forced things on Muschamp. I have never heard that opinion here in Gainesville. How did that theory come about?
Londrieme, you do know cesspool of horror that UF was when muschamp got there.

I heard from UF players of old that the program was in shambles when muschamp got there.

Your offensive genius of a coach scored a safety against FSU.

You brag about a top 10 class....muschamp's classes never fell that far.

I predict your coach will fail as well.

107.5 with H. Cline had a guest on from someone that covers the Gators (don't Remember his name) after the hire and they talked about Foley having input on the OC position. They were both saying that the AD had a lot to do on what coach did at Florida. Cline covered the Gators when Steve was there so he has insiders there.

I heard this as well. Regardless though, nothing he did at Florida is relevant at USC. He's a smart man and I'm sure he learned some valuable lessons at the expense of UF. One thing he has here that he may not have had at UF, is a leader like Ray Tanner who understands coaching and is an excellent manager of people.

We're in for the ride now, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is.

I heard this as well. Regardless though, nothing he did at Florida is relevant at USC. He's a smart man and I'm sure he learned some valuable lessons at the expense of UF. One thing he has here that he may not have had at UF, is a leader like Ray Tanner who understands coaching and is an excellent manager of people.

We're in for the ride now, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is.
"I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is" if this is for me here's why

Londrieme said:

Recruiting

Offense

Defense

Responsibility

Developing Players

I appreciate your opinion and understand your point of view because it did not work out for Muschamp, the gators and the fan base. Saying that, it is my hope that what lessons needed to be learned by Muschamp were retained. If not, we will find out soon enough.

I see this as no different than when we hired Frank Martin as our basketball coach. We had some fans of K-State pointing out his weaknesses and the reasons why they believed he would not succeed here. The only response then is the only response I can give now...only time will tell.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Londramine
You start off with "muschamp had no plan " then you say he wanted to run the ball and manage clock. You make no sense. The only thing I got from your post was, "please don't let muschamp do well at USC ". "We will look foolish at uf if he wins big at Carolina ". Go post your jibberish on the Florida sites

You gotta love the week 'tween Christmas and New Year's Day - a time of year when feline's and no-minds seemingly come out of the woodwork to show us the blueprint and tell us the way.
This OP, a self-proclaimed Florida fairy comes on-board, opens a colloquy with some tiger dude that purports to tell Gamecock fans what we haven't read elsewhere or wondered ourselves already and prefaces it with supposed love for the SEC East and his old HBC SOS. I call BS.
This thread started with a well-rehearsed windbag rant that's nothing but an intentional chant designed to fuel Gamecock angst and I ain't playing 'tarbaby' with no BS interloper. Florida's well-documented problems are just that and rehashing 'em here has but one motive - strike fear, create uncertainty and discord to the greatest extent possible.
Sure, boards are open to all - knock yourself out, have a ball ... but your motives and tactics fall on deaf ears if you're targeting me.
I could care less what some spurned gator thinks, one motivated enough to follow the links - attempting to ingratiate himself with 'open-minded' Gamecocks he thinks might swallow the kool-aid he drinks ... what a feeble attempt at getting along.
Take you sorry arse back, the fastest way you can find down that track - from whence you came to where you belong. And take those 'go-along' tiger-fans with you.
A Spurrier-fan and Gamecock supporter 'except when we're playing Florida'? - HA!!! Any one who doesn't KNOW the HBC endorsed Muschamp is an idiot. SOS IS a 'gator' now GAMECOCK who truly cares about the future of South Carolina football.
This OP? Who knows? Who cares.
We won't know squat 'till we play 'em. I personally can't wait. To this OP ... find a gate. You need to concentrate on beating Michigan.
And if Florida needs 'advice' watch our Jan. 1 Outback Bowl film v. Michigan two years ago ... if the 'Cocks can shut down Dennard Robinson the gators 'ought be able to handle Jake whoever.

Last edited:
Good insight and thanks for the post. From MUSCHamps 1st presser he mentioned he will run a very different style of Offense than he did at UF. So if you had UF Defense, with much improved offense, then it just may show progress and we may have some success...
Aleast he's is trying a new scheme.. Does SC have the right players for Roper Offense scheme ? And can they be developed?

How good will the rest of the SEC East be?
bUT?
UGLA
Kensucky?
flUF
Vanderbuiltnothing
Mizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Only time will tell but it won't take 3-4 years... Trim the fat, I give it 1-2 years for SC to find out if this is a good hire or not.

Recruiting

Offense

Defense

Responsibility

Developing Players

Blah, blah, blah

Guys i'm telling you, People are very jealous, Chapped, Concerned, Scared, Intimidated etc... or whatever you want to call it about this hire at SOUTH CAROLINA! i don't see half as much noise about any other coach that has been hired this year, It seems to all fall on BOOM! WHY? because that can't stand it bud and they thought we were going to get some ole friend from back in the day to take over the reigns but it didn't happen!!!! and it made the College world feel real uneasy. This hire RIGHT HERE! will be the greatest hire we have made in football in our school history, We will be a force to recon with!!!!!! BOOM shocked everyone when he showed he was serious about this job/team with his work ethics (which we aint never had) and the staff that he has hired and now they just try to cloud the water but it anit working for me bud i tell you that right now so you can all stop your BS about this guy and just enjoy this ride you are about to take. SIK'EM SON!!!!!

Reactions: Myrtlebeachdave
"In the first two years that Muschamp was the head coach at UF he recruited a total of 4 OL."

Here at SC in the first week, he has already recruited an OL (3 star/5.6 ranking). Again this is after being on the job for a week. We currently have 5 OL committed at this point with another whole month to go... Granted we(SC) do need to step it up and get as many good kids we can before signing day as recruitting for SC has fallen off the cliff since Spurrier resigned.

#SpursUp!
Come on MUSCHAMP you can get us back to the TOP25 signing class in your 1st cycle!

Recruiting

Offense

Defense

Responsibility

Developing Players

Bummer! Better luck with JM!

Reactions: JRBrooks66
Guys i'm telling you, People are very jealous, Chapped, Concerned, Scared, Intimidated etc... or whatever you want to call it about this hire at SOUTH CAROLINA! i don't see half as much noise about any other coach that has been hired this year, It seems to all fall on BOOM! WHY? because that can't stand it bud and they thought we were going to get some ole friend from back in the day to take over the reigns but it didn't happen!!!! and it made the College world feel real uneasy. This hire RIGHT HERE! will be the greatest hire we have made in football in our school history, We will be a force to recon with!!!!!! BOOM shocked everyone when he showed he was serious about this job/team with his work ethics (which we aint never had) and the staff that he has hired and now they just try to cloud the water but it anit working for me bud i tell you that right now so you can all stop your BS about this guy and just enjoy this ride you are about to take. SIK'EM SON!!!!!
I agree. The risk-reward on Boom could be incredible if it turns out in our favor. Bringing Champ on as our head coach is like putting together a 2 or 3 team parlay bet...the odd's may not necessarily be in our favor, but if it works out, the results could be absolutely amazing...

Reactions: yemacock
Yet in 4 years he brought in 14
You better be glad because with out that defense this year you lose about 6 more games.

Plus, he failed to mention that Coach Boom inherited 15 returning OL players from the 2010 team who had been recruited by the great Urban Meyer's staff. And, of those returning linemen, only 2 would have been seniors on WM's 2011 team. Seems like a pretty decent depth at that position to me.

And, he also failed to mention that WM also landed a 5* offensive lineman who just happened to be THE #1 rated OL in the nation in 2011. That player was named a Freshman All-American in 2012.

Seems to me the OP has an agenda. Well, he can take his agenda and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!

Plus, he failed to mention that Coach Boom inherited 15 returning OL players from the 2010 team who had been recruited by the great Urban Meyer's staff. And, of those returning linemen, only 2 would have been seniors on WM's 2011 team. Seems like a pretty decent depth at that position to me.

And, he also failed to mention that WM also landed a 5* offensive lineman who just happened to be THE #1 rated OL in the nation in 2011. That player was named a Freshman All-American in 2012.

Seems to me the OP has an agenda. Well, he can take his agenda and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!
So the OP was reading from a script that someone put together to make UF fans feel good about firing Muschamp....and failed to do their own research to verify the information. Sounds like an uninformed UF fan...or more likely a Clemson fan who will swallow anything that has an orange tint to it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT