ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp says "defense played outstanding".

I would not call it exactly outstanding though both the O and D played better. The refereeing was sloppy and may have had a negative impact on ECU late in the game.

MCIlwain showed progress. David Williams ran like he is supposed to and caught a pass.

I still think getting to 6 wins will be a challenge. I had Missouri penciled in as a W, but I am no longer sure that will be the case.

in post game interview on the field. I hope this soft style, constant bend but don't break, isn't the theme of the future.
with over 500 yards given up, I would rarely say defense did well. but in this case, against this specific offense, with our specific players, i agree with muschamp. We frustrated the hell out of them and they did exactly what you would expect...make mistakes in red zone.

our offensive line was embarrassing....AGAIN!!!! i was mad at our OC but he proved that he had little faith in the OL as the game grew old. I think he probably told shawn to figure something out, or start packing his bags. Or at least I hope so.

If anyone feels good about that win, don't. We should have lost by three scores. I don't see us winning another conference game unless we make significant improvements across the board. Well, maybe Kentucky.

If anyone feels good about that win, don't. We should have lost by three scores. I don't see us winning another conference game unless we make significant improvements across the board. Well, maybe Kentucky.
Remember much was not expected of this team this year. So to see some improvement is a good thing.

It's not unheard of firing someone early in the season.... Paging Shawn Elliott... Paging Shawn Elliott...

I think a non-football fan can coach the offensive line better than Shawn Elliott....

Be happy for just a minute. Everybody said this team will go 7-5 at the very best.
That's because we were led to believe the offensive line would be the strength but they appear to the Achilles heal. But the experts have of finishing at the bottom of the SEC.

When everyone gets a chance check out recruiting Analysis JC Shurbutt's podcast called Locked on the Gamecocks . As of now there are 12 episodes. Episodes 9-12 will give you more insight on what caused the demise of our program and the current issues. Very interesting none the less.

Our 11-2 team that had Clowney on the D-Line gave up way, way more points to this offense. ECU is a tough match up. Unless you have elite talent up front and blow up their line or you have lockdown corners, you are going to give up yards and a lot of them. We kept them from scoring. If our Offense could have run the ball and gotten first downs more consistently, nobody would be concerned about our D. Our offense actually averaged more yardage per play than theirs did... they just happened to run 90 plays.

in post game interview on the field. I hope this soft style, constant bend but don't break, isn't the theme of the future.

I thought they absolutely sucked. It was somewhat of a miracle we hung on. ECU gashed us for big yardage the entire game. They seemed to move at will, then shoot their own foot. If we continue like this we might win 4.

He's coaching a team with no proven pass rusher and limited depth in the secondary. So he's forced to play this style of defense. Much like Hoke last season.

This. When we brought in players that we hoped would grow into a pass rusher that was a mistake We knew this and still never addressed it Recruiting is the key

Reactions: gamecockrealist
I was very frustrated by our continuing the soft pass coverage on the edge. The strategy seemed to be to make sure you hold the receiver to 10 or 12 yards by backing way off, allowing him to catch the ball in the clear and then tackling him. Allowing 34 first downs is not good. Wonder how many of them were gained by 10 to 13 yard pass plays to the wide receiver?

Seems clear that when in the red zone, our defenders could not back off so far and we defended receivers much better. Not being the D coach, I'm probably wrong but maybe not.

The defense is playing well based on the talent the coaches have to work with. Also, our offense makes our defense stay on the field way too long. The future looks good here. We need to recruit better linemen though!
Agree. Don't think either Muschamp or Roper have the players or the experience to run their offense or defense the way they want to run it. Our D looks nothing like Muschamp's defenses at UF or UT. And our offense looks nothing like Roper's at Duke. Give them time, it will improve.

I was very frustrated by our continuing the soft pass coverage on the edge. The strategy seemed to be to make sure you hold the receiver to 10 or 12 yards by backing way off, allowing him to catch the ball in the clear and then tackling him. Allowing 34 first downs is not good. Wonder how many of them were gained by 10 to 13 yard pass plays to the wide receiver?

Seems clear that when in the red zone, our defenders could not back off so far and we defended receivers much better. Not being the D coach, I'm probably wrong but maybe not.

I think that they averaged 6.9 yards per pass. that is pretty good, but they passed like 60 times. We have them the underneath pass, which changes inside the redzone. I believe both INTS were on 3rd down, so those were stops whether we INT or not....took 6 off the board with the turnovers however. Also, I think they extended 3 drives on third and long with pass interference penalties (not holding) on uncatchable balls.

I think as bad as it looked, there were some bright points on defense. Lammons INT was a great play...gutsy.

I think for us to play relatively disciplined defense this early in boom's tenure is a positive. the scheme was obviously to make them execute the entire drive, and ecu could not.

Heath Cline called it , btw. he said that usc had to make ecu work for their scores and sooner or later they would mess up. he nailed it.

I don't see how you can say that ECU shot themselves in the foot. First INT was under thrown because of pressure. Second was a great play on a back shoulder throw. The fg was blocked not shanked. And the fumble was a defender putting his hat on the ball. To me we made plays when we had to.

It is hard to execute 12 plus play drives....I am pleased we gave them nothing easy.

ECU is not a bad team. Their offense is certainly no slouch.

If I am upset with anything, it was the play-calling when up 17. we waited too long to go to play action passes. they were always going to commit to stop the run and make brandon beat them with his arm. He missed some open guys, but we also had a couple of really nice catches. as the season goes on, he will be less excited and put a little more loft on the ball. he was throwing bullets from way too close and also over throwing some guys on mid-level routes that were open. he will get better with time. He reminds me of conner shaw with a better arm. connor was far more educated about defenses by the time he was playing a bunch though, and he had some mistake filled games early on. brandon protected the football, and the game for that matter.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Whats with all the crying around here?! Im happy with a win, ugly or not, would you prefer a pretty loss? What did you all expect this year exactly? Give them time to grow & our coaching staff time. Good grief, get real already.

I am very happy with the win. Looks like EJ calling the defense for a few years. Teams could run between the 20s , but play tough in red zone. We have won a lot of games like that. Great game for all gamecocks and thanks to WM for being our coach.

I thought they absolutely sucked. It was somewhat of a miracle we hung on. ECU gashed us for big yardage the entire game. They seemed to move at will, then shoot their own foot. If we continue like this we might win 4.

What do you consider "big yardage"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT