ADVERTISEMENT

National media seems heartbroken Florence weakened

The media is worse for this one because it's been a very quiet year for hurricanes to this point. They got all the reporters in the field trying to make a name for themselves and over-sensationalizing this to the extremes. Problem is, they wouldn't be reporting if we weren't watching.

The media is worse for this one because it's been a very quiet year for hurricanes to this point. They got all the reporters in the field trying to make a name for themselves and over-sensationalizing this to the extremes. Problem is, they wouldn't be reporting if we weren't watching.
It was predicted to be a very busy year which of course it wasn't. Now they have already predicted a horrific winter, which of course it won't be.

I agree they hype them up a bit sometimes, but go visit Puerto Rico and see if those folks agree with you.
If the NC Coast had the same third-world infrastructure and was an island nation with no easy transportation routes in or out, this storm would leave it looking a lot like PR after the last storm. But it isn't and for most people more than 20 miles from the coast, this storm is just going to give them a miserable weekend of incredible amounts of rain and probably not much else. There will be localized flooding, but probably not anything warranting mass evacuations like we've seen over the last few days.

To be fair two days ago this storm was listed as a Cat 5. No one could have known that this storm would weaken in two days, if anything it would seem likely to maintain it's intensity.
Actually, all the forecasts I saw this week predicted the storm would weaken and probably make landfall as a cat 1 or weak cat 2. On that note, they appear to have hit the mark.

I think the actual weather prognostication for this storm has been pretty good. That's the "hard news" portion of the broadcasts. It's the over-the-top commentary about that hard news that has fueled the frenzy and likely led to a lot of overreaction.

Reactions: Out of Conference
They are claiming the storms killed 3000 people because some political group at Georgetown university did a computer model predicting deaths in the ensuing months!!! There were never 3000 bodies! Just a computer model!!!
Wrong on who conducted the study
Wrong on how the study was conducted
1. It was George Washington University not Georgetown
2. The study was based by analyzing mortality via use of death certificates from 9/2017 thru 2/18. Then used a mathematical model to compare total number of deaths during that period against historical data patterns.

I'm all for a healthy debate, but not if it is going to stray into making up scenarios to fit a narrative

http://thehill.com/latino/406535-ge...rsity-stands-by-puerto-rican-death-toll-study

Last edited:
That is not true. I'm no meteorologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I told my wife 2 days ago it would weaken. It is only common sense. These storms get their strength from warm ocean water temperatures. As it passed over the Gulf Stream it gained strength. As is clears the GS and gets closer to land, the water temps are lower. Therefore, it loses strength. Then when it hits land, it dies and becomes a TS. This is like Hurricanes 101.
If it's this simple, how do you explain Hurricane Hugo? It came ashore as a strong category 4 on a very similar path and situation as this storm.

That's a very simplistic explanation you've deduced out of something that in all actuality is extremely complex. Every storm is a little different. It's impossible to accurately predict any of them because even a slight change in conditions can radically effect what the storm does.

Are my eyes deceiving me or is this storm breaking up? Where's the eye?

To be fair two days ago this storm was listed as a Cat 5. No one could have known that this storm would weaken in two days, if anything it would seem likely to maintain it's intensity.
Better to err on the side of caution.

This storm was never close to a Cat 5; it was predicted to be a high end Cat 4 at one point, but someone in charge at the NHC should have said the climatology of the area made that iffy so that they wouldn't have billed it as "the storm of a lifetime". The Weather Channel, aka the Hyperbole Channel, wants people to watch.

They are claiming the storms killed 3000 people because some political group at Georgetown university did a computer model predicting deaths in the ensuing months!!! There were never 3000 bodies! Just a computer model!!!

Well, that is just plain wrong to state that body count as fact without any proof.

If it's this simple, how do you explain Hurricane Hugo? It came ashore as a strong category 4 on a very similar path and situation as this storm.

That's a very simplistic explanation you've deduced out of something that in all actuality is extremely complex. Every storm is a little different. It's impossible to accurately predict any of them because even a slight change in conditions can radically effect what the storm does.

Hugo wasn't surrounded by dry air like this one was. Florence also had to battle the shear from an upper level low around Florida. Also, Hugo was further south.

Reactions: king ward
It's definitely too early to be denouncing the news coverage of the storm as overzealous. While Florence does not pack the wind of Hugo, the storm surge and rainfall are to be determined.

As of now, Duke Power is estimating 26,000 without power 80 miles north of the eye of the storm. Landfall isn't until around 1:00 PM tomorrow.

The truth is we don't know where Florence is going or how much damage it will do yet. It may end up being overhyped, but when there's lives at risk I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt

It's definitely too early to be denouncing the news coverage of the storm as overzealous. While Florence does not pack the wind of Hugo, the storm surge and rainfall are to be determined.

As of now, Duke Power is estimating 26,000 without power 80 miles north of the eye of the storm. Landfall isn't until around 1:00 PM tomorrow.

The truth is we don't know where Florence is going or how much damage it will do yet. It may end up being overhyped, but when there's lives at risk I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt
They need more consistency with their models though. One model shows Columbia having considerable flooding, another shows it as barely having any. For God sakes, one of them models had us in pink but had 12-15 inches in red on top of it and the pink one that should have been on the top of our area was in some other area of the map. Their models aren't even lining up with the color key to the same map. It's just hard to follow and keep up with. Honestly the media wants to keep you scared so you'll keep watching.

Hugo wasn't surrounded by dry air like this one was. Florence also had to battle the shear from an upper level low around Florida. Also, Hugo was further south.
I understand all of that and don't disagree with any of it. Also Hugo barreled ashore moving at over 30 miles per hour.

My point was, this storm losing it's intensity wasn't as simple of an explanation that was given.

If it were that simple, we'd never ever see a category 4 storm here. There were several other factors that diminished the wind speed of this storm. However, it's still a very serious situation that a lot of people seem to be taking for granted it will just blow over with minor damage.

Last edited:
I just saw the latest assessment on the storm threats from one of the local Charleston news channels. The Damaging Wind Threat is medium, the Storm Surge Threat is low, the Tornado Threat is low AND...........the Flooding Threat is High "depending on how much rain" we get. Duh!

Last edited:
Reactions: cockhornleghorn
It's losing speed fast. Down to 90 and still 45 miles away. It's now a cat 1 where they had it being a cat 2, so it's liable to be a 0 before it even gets to SC.

It's losing speed fast. Down to 90 and still 45 miles away. It's now a cat 1 where they had it being a cat 2, so it's liable to be a 0 before it even gets to SC.

So they probably didn’t need to cancel classes Tuesday??

If the NC Coast had the same third-world infrastructure and was an island nation with no easy transportation routes in or out, this storm would leave it looking a lot like PR after the last storm. But it isn't and for most people more than 20 miles from the coast, this storm is just going to give them a miserable weekend of incredible amounts of rain and probably not much else. There will be localized flooding, but probably not anything warranting mass evacuations like we've seen over the last few days.
the problem right now is people on the coast in the highest surge areas refused to evacuate!! 150 people have rescued already!!! Hero's putting their lives on the line in 80mph winds because folks were too muleheaded to follow evacuation orders!!

the problem right now is people on the coast in the highest surge areas refused to evacuate!! 150 people have rescued already!!! Hero's putting their lives on the line in 80mph winds because folks were too muleheaded to follow evacuation orders!!

Some of those dumb azz. Folks have kids too.

I was browsing for storm updates and almost puked as media storm pundits seemed depressed the storm has weakened.. I just don't get!! It's as if they root for apocalyptic storms.. Don't they know we are dealing with real lives and the emotional weight of losing homes and possesions!!!
It's all about ratings! Weather channel needs apocalyptic weather phenomenon to get viwership anymore since everyone just looks at their phone for weather updates.

150 out of 1.5million is pretty safe I would say. This storm preparedness was awesome from my point of view. Actually it was almost over the top. I could not even get to MT Pleasant on Tuesday and here we are on Friday morning and they are going to reverse I-26 for people to return home soon.

I do give a big thumbs up to the governor as he took all the right steps. I have had Highway patrol, national guard and DOT around my house since Tuesday since I live close to an evacuation route. What impressed me the most was the DOT digging out ditches in flood prone areas to allow better drainage. They were working from dark to dark since Monday. I have never seen that level of attention before.

150 out of 1.5million is pretty safe I would say. This storm preparedness was awesome from my point of view. Actually it was almost over the top. I could not even get to MT Pleasant on Tuesday and here we are on Friday morning and they are going to reverse I-26 for people to return home soon.

I do give a big thumbs up to the governor as he took all the right steps. I have had Highway patrol, national guard and DOT around my house since Tuesday since I live close to an evacuation route. What impressed me the most was the DOT digging out ditches in flood prone areas to allow better drainage. They were working from dark to dark since Monday. I have never seen that level of attention before.
It's an election year that's why.lol

Now you've got a reporter standing next to a down tree (the only down tree I've seen so far) and yet I see no debris or limbs blwoing by, one guy standing in front of a small limb that he just placed there because the shot 5 mins ago there wasn't a small limb, and there's a woman that's always texting on her phone and whenever they ask her a question she never answers, she just keeps texting away. I've never seen a show like this in my life.lol

Reactions: cockofdawn
Man, I haven't EVER seen that word here. But do tell, Ya think ya might could provide a sequence presentation of such?? =;-p

It's all good, it just kinda caught my attention.
Thanks for the catch, serves me right for not reviewing my post.

The female reporter on TWC this morning is acting like it's Christmas Eve. Calm down.
I like the one that's always texting on her phone standing next to a fallen tree.

This thing will be in NY next Wednesday and the media will be like "don't let your guard down yet! It could swoop back down and kill us all!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT