ADVERTISEMENT

New football HC for the next 12-15 years

The problem is Kirby was always headed to UGa. Nothing we could have done was going to change that. It was his dream job. So we can want what we want. It doesn't mean we can get it.
It was his dream job, and accelerated the firing of Richt when SC had serious talks going with him. Not many will do the Lane Kiffin, show up and leave after one year. Getting him before GA job being open was crucial...and GA acted quickly, decisively and correctly to nab him. I am suggesting we do the same with one candidate. I would hate to see what yall's wives look like if you quit this easily before trying.

2 or 3 star Etienne? You mean 4 star Etienne (by ESPN, anyway) who had the same score as Shi Smith? Etienne was hardly a nobody coming out of high school. He was ranked 114 by ESPN. If we had signed him, he'd have been our 2nd or 3rd highest rated recruit, behind only Jamyest Williams and Smith.
he was a 3 star (rivals....all that matters to me)...and he definitely was in the shadow of Feaster coming in. Feaster was all everything. I like Feaster....but it wasn't unusual to see a 3 star out play a 4/5 star. Happens every year, all the time, all over the place in college football.

In this instant gratification society, the only way a new coach gets 12-15 yrs is if he wins every year, maybe gets a pass for a down year. Even with consistent success, fans will eventually get restless and want change (Fulmer, Richt, Spurrier at UF, Miles, etc..). Believe it or not, there is even a vocal minority at Bama that is getting restless with St Nick. It's the nature of the beast.

In the old days, before CFB became a big business, coaches had opportunities to establish relationships, develop players, build a program and redirect the course if needed. If you look at the record books, several very successful coaches had less than stellar starts at their school before turning things around. They would not have survived with today's venom, and fang gnashing from fans who want instant success.

Muschamp has been one of the hardest working coaches we've had in our history and there have been a lot of positive things under his tenure. He checks a lot of the boxes (SEC Guy, fairly young, etc...), but we haven't been able to consistently put it all together under his watch. Dare I say he too would eventually figure out the right combination if given the opportunity, however, as you see patience is wearing thin. (Only makes the job that much more difficult when lines are drawn between fans and team/coaches, and you have to answer questions constantly about job security, then go out and sell a program ready to run you out on rails). At some point, we will enter the coaching carousel once again, and give the next guy 2-3 yrs before we start calling for his head, rinse and repeat, so on so forth. Can't say I really blame the fans when they have been asked to give, give, give, and then give some more. You've priced out your loyal families and are now left with people who expect a return on their investment, all while never fully understanding no one is more vested in winning than the coaches and players themselves.

The demands will only increase further with players getting endorsments, and eventual full compensation. CFB appears to be losing its luster daily.
I think you're right on most of these points. I do think one overriding positive to our program is that if you show consistency and upward trend...you will be given the keys to the kingdom. You have to consistently win 8 games though, have to win the games you're supposed to win and have to beat Clemson some (no matter where they're at with the state of their program).

Reactions: USCrown
he was a 3 star (rivals....all that matters to me)...and he definitely was in the shadow of Feaster coming in. Feaster was all everything. I like Feaster....but it wasn't unusual to see a 3 star out play a 4/5 star. Happens every year, all the time, all over the place in college football.
You referred to him as a "2 or 3 star." He wasn't some unknown, unranked kid. I think he was (according to Rivals, which is 'all that matters' to you...in spite of their well-publicized recruiting, ahem, problems last year) top 25 at his position nationally, and top 20 in Louisiana.

PJ Fleck. Throw every nickel that can be found at him. We need a gamechanger at the most important position - Head Coach. A dynamo like Fleck will affect more people positively and elevate our football program like few can do given our current situation. He literally had the crowd chanting 'row the boat' at their bowl game when they beat Auburn with about 1/3rd the talent. Damn the consequences, Damn the excuses....back the truck up and GET FLECK. It's the surest bet we have available in this country. I would think it was harder to talk Holtz and Spurrier into taking this job than it would be to lure Fleck to Columbia.

You have to be realistic. It is hard to pull a Head Coach from another P5 program. If......IF an opening was to develop at Carolina, I'd throw money at Central Florida's Josh Heupel. He is 22-4 in two seasons, has proven to be a good recruiter, beats his rival, is offensive-minded and young (41). But, that's me.

I think we will be fine with what we have in place now and I think next year and the year after will show it. Our staff can recruit really well and with the addition of Thomas brown and Mike Bobo and new strength coach we will be much improved and play to our potential like we all expected this year. Spurrier didn't do well on the field until year 6. Our staff is right in line to do the same in year 5 and definitely year 6. If we would have changed up staffs at the end of this season there is no doubt in my mind it would be another 5 years before we even would see a 9 win season or beat Clemson. We will be fine and we have a lot of tallent and depth to work with. Like I said after the Mizzou game our biggest problem was a rookie OC and too many injuries from the waist down because of a strength and conditioning problem. Both areas were addressed within 48 hours after Clemson game. I'm excited about the changes and next year.

Yep. And he's doing it with the best recruiting classes - all top-10 - so he should be in the national title picture. AND he shouldn't lose at home to a bottom tier SEC team (that's how far we've fallen - to KY levels). He would be in the exact same boat at USC as Muschamp. That's why he lost to us at home.
Worse....we'd have Coley as our OC. Smart couldn't even beat out Muschamp for Bobo...and, yes, they wanted him.

I think we will be fine with what we have in place now and I think next year and the year after will show it. Our staff can recruit really well and with the addition of Thomas brown and Mike Bobo and new strength coach we will be much improved and play to our potential like we all expected this year. Spurrier didn't do well on the field until year 6. Our staff is right in line to do the same in year 5 and definitely year 6. If we would have changed up staffs at the end of this season there is no doubt in my mind it would be another 5 years before we even would see a 9 win season or beat Clemson. We will be fine and we have a lot of tallent and depth to work with. Like I said after the Mizzou game our biggest problem was a rookie OC and too many injuries from the waist down because of a strength and conditioning problem. Both areas were addressed within 48 hours after Clemson game. I'm excited about the changes and next year.
I agree....obviously one of the few around here though.

I agree....obviously one of the few around here though.

I'm hopeful. I count 36 returning players on offense who were rated high 3 stars, 4 stars or 5 stars, by at least one of the 3 recruiting sites. There are 26 on defense. All 5 of our offensive coaches were either a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator at the collegiate level. The question is whether Muschamp will let Bobo do what he wants to score points. The player talent is here. The coaching experience is here. College football has evolved from "defense wins championships" to now "offense wins championships". Has Muschamp evolved?

In addition to letting our offensive coaches, coach, I hope that Muschamp will devote his time to being " hands on" the defense.

And, I too, like the new S&C coach. At 2 of his previous stops, before Ole Miss, the football programs won conference championships. And at Ole Miss, while Hugh Freeze was there, the Rebs had their best run since the days of the legendary Johhny Vaught. They beat Alabama and Nick Saban a couple of times and beat/owned Dan Mullins and Mississippi State.

Reactions: rogue cock
Fleck just signed a 7 year contract with Minnesota 2 weeks ago.
Within 2 or 3 years, some big football school is going to offer him a much bigger contract than his new one at Minnesota. He may not accept it - he may be happy coaching the gophers for the rest of his career - but that new contract won't prevent any school that is serious about winning from making him a huge offer.

I'm hopeful. I count 36 returning players on offense who were rated high 3 stars, 4 stars or 5 stars, by at least one of the 3 recruiting sites. There are 26 on defense. All 5 of our offensive coaches were either a Head Coach or Offensive Coordinator at the collegiate level. The question is whether Muschamp will let Bobo do what he wants to score points. The player talent is here. The coaching experience is here. College football has evolved from "defense wins championships" to now "offense wins championships". Has Muschamp evolved?

In addition to letting our offensive coaches, coach, I hope that Muschamp will devote his time to being " hands on" the defense.

And, I too, like the new S&C coach. At 2 of his previous stops, before Ole Miss, the football programs won conference championships. And at Ole Miss, while Hugh Freeze was there, the Rebs had their best run since the days of the legendary Johhny Vaught. They beat Alabama and Nick Saban a couple of times and beat/owned Dan Mullins and Mississippi State.

I'm always hopeful. However, with now 8 years of solid data, history is not on our side. Below is a post from 2015 on this forum from a Gator fan before we hired Champ. Sound pretty familiar?

B/t this forum, Gator forum and YouTube, there is a boatload of info which read about the same.

----------------------------------------------
https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/if-it-is-muschamp-i-am-done.99068/page-3

"I think I speak for all gator fans. Will Muschamp was and will soon be again, the worst head coach in college football. He is your typical, dime-a-dozen, meathead defensive coordinator. He thinks he can win national championships by being so much bigger, tougher, and stronger than all of his opponents, that they will not be able to stop his downhill, power & counter attack even when they know it is coming. Some of you, who watched South Carolina defeat us 3 of Muschamp's 4 years are correct in thinking "Hey, his Florida teams really sucked ass and found super-creative ways to lose". However, there are others that think Muschamp " built" this SEC East champion Florida team."

"Bull. We had 6 offensive lineman in the spring of 2015. 6!!!! Every QB Muschamp signed from on roster from 2011-2013 transferred or quit football altogether. Every damn one of them. When you think about that, its a pretty amazing feat. So what top QB prospect in his right mind is gonna sign with Muschamp? He's done nothing but run his other QB signess out of town. ALL OF THEM."

"Our top wide receiver this year is a true freshman that was not recruited/offered by Muschamp's staff. Our #2 wide receiver was a 4th string running back last year. Our top 2 tight ends from 2013-2014? Converted defensive ends that couldn't catch a sack full of balls."

"Our roster was pure s--+ when McElwain took over, and still is. It will be s--+ next year too. We simply got lucky as hell this year, and will get slaugherterd Saturday just like last week. but at the same time, it's not an accident that we all of a sudden won 10 games this year. We have a better head coach - I don't think McElwains great or even that good - but even an average coach is light years better than Muschamp."

"Will Muschamp has no clue what he wants to do offensively. He still to this day doesn't know what type of player he wants to recruit on the offensive side of the ball. He has no idea how to manage an offensive roster. More importantly, I can promise you that there or no top flight offensive coordinators that are going to want to work for that doofus. Charlie Weis took a head coaching job at Kansas just to get the hell out of FLA. Brent Pease was made a sacrificial lamb because our dumbass AD had a love boner for Muschamp, and Kurt Roper was just a throw s--t against the wall and see what sticks hire. The latter 2 guys' careers have taken a massive hit, and I can assure you that prospective OCs know that as well. Muschamp has always put out pathetic, helpless offenses on a record-breaking scale. That will not change, ever."

"Muschamp is not passionate and intense, he's a psycho. Dont get that confused. All coaches are intense or passionate or they wouldnt be in the business. His sideline rants and behavior is just a fancy display of grab-assin. Go watch some of his prostgame press conferences after losses on youtube. He's the definition of false bravado."

"His defenses? Overrated. His entire game plan is geared toward being in low scoring games with as few posessions as possible. Our defense's yards per play average is actually not as good as you would think. But he yells and screams and knows what a midline is so that makes him a guru to lots of folks."

"If you think he will bring something different to SC or magically figure out how to run a football program successfully, you're dreaming. That guy is the poster child for the saying "insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results". He thinks he can get the results if he just works harder at doing what he's doing. Anybody that hires him after what he did at UF is an even bigger moron than Muschamp (or Jeremy Foley). You guys can't even begin to understand how inept this doofus is. If he's hired at SC you will hate him, and you'll celebrate when he's inevitably fired."

It is remarkable to me how some fans continue to downplay what Spurrier accomplished in his first 4, 5 and 6 years in order to make a jagged comparison and inflate Muschamp's accomplishments.

Spurrier came in as Lou was going out. If you recall, Lou's last team did not go to a bowl game even though they were eligible. Roughly 6 players were involved in a vandalism and theft of University property. Two were starters and they were all kicked off the team. The school was also placed on 3 years of probation for 10 admitted violations under Holtz - including 5 major violations. There was no post-season ban, but there were scholarship reductions and limits on recruiting.

Still, Spurrier went 7-5, 8-5, 6-6 and 7-6. No losing seasons. That included 3 bowls with a 1-2 record. That is a 28-22 record in 4 seasons.

Muschamp was 6-7, 9-4, 7-6 and 4-8 in his first 4 years. Also, 3 bowls with a 1-3 record. But no NCAA sanctions or left over disciplinary problems such as what Spurrier faced. Muschamp's record is 26-25 after 4 years.

Let's see how this looks in years 5 and 6. (I think Muschamp will get that long unless we end up with 4 wins or less next year.)

Bigger newsflash....Kirby Smart is 40-11 at Georgia, and has been a serious national championship contender every year after his first year there. But, if you prefer 26-23 ...to each his own.
please tell me you dont think he would do that here

The best recruiting classes? Those stars don't mean sh#t. For every great recruiting class you point out that did well, there are five "great" recruiting classes you can point to that did not.

Nobody outside of Alabama SHOULD be in the NC picture if you play in the SEC because it's a meat grinder. The success of the conference presents more challenges than it does advantages to getting to post season NC area. I hope to god the BOT do not share the same opinion as you do....and if they do, then it explains our situation. Not knowing the difference between Muschamp and Smart is dangerous as a fanbase. Head to head records apparently don't matter...just this one win with a coach's back against the wall matters?? It's so much more about the name as Head Coach. Who he can get on his staff, keep and develop as coaches is more important than the stars you bring in. 5 star vs. 4 star is usually an inch in height and 10 lbs. in weight. How in the world has Georgia lost in the last 4 years with all these 5 star recruits? How does Alabama, LSU ever lose?

Go look at our best players ever and their star ranking. Now go look up all the 4 and 5 star recruits we've ever had and look at their efforts at USC. There are a whole lot more OJ Murdocks than J. Clowneys on that 4-5 star list.
which further refutes your idea that we need smart here...he wouldnt have all that talent here so he would be in same boat as champ

Reactions: atl-cock
Guys, I understand. While I said I'm "hopeful", I didn't say I believe.I'm trying to be optimistic. If you noticed, I asked whether Muschamp will have evolved to letting his Offensive Coordinator do his job? Has he evolved from a Defensive Coordinator's mentality (wanting to be conservative offensively in order to protect his defense) to that of a Head Coach? I'm hopeful that Muschamp knows what he has done for 8 years has, for the most part, not worked. I'm hopeful he knows that he is "on the clock".. I'll do, though, what most of you will probably do and that is make a realistic short list of who I'd like to see us hire in case Muschamp has not evolved.

Reactions: Wiles2
I'm always hopeful. However, with now 8 years of solid data, history is not on our side. Below is a post from 2015 on this forum from a Gator fan before we hired Champ. Sound pretty familiar?

B/t this forum, Gator forum and YouTube, there is a boatload of info which read about the same.

https://southcarolina.forums.rivals.com/threads/if-it-is-muschamp-i-am-done.99068/page-3

"I think I speak for all gator fans. Will Muschamp was and will soon be again, the worst head coach in college football. He is your typical, dime-a-dozen, meathead defensive coordinator. He thinks he can win national championships by being so much bigger, tougher, and stronger than all of his opponents, that they will not be able to stop his downhill, power & counter attack even when they know it is coming. Some of you, who watched South Carolina defeat us 3 of Muschamp's 4 years are correct in thinking "Hey, his Florida teams really sucked ass and found super-creative ways to lose". However, there are others that think Muschamp " built" this SEC East champion Florida team."

"Bull. We had 6 offensive lineman in the spring of 2015. 6!!!! Every QB Muschamp signed from on roster from 2011-2013 transferred or quit football altogether. Every damn one of them. When you think about that, its a pretty amazing feat. So what top QB prospect in his right mind is gonna sign with Muschamp? He's done nothing but run his other QB signess out of town. ALL OF THEM."

"Our top wide receiver this year is a true freshman that was not recruited/offered by Muschamp's staff. Our #2 wide receiver was a 4th string running back last year. Our top 2 tight ends from 2013-2014? Converted defensive ends that couldn't catch a sack full of balls."

"Our roster was pure s--+ when McElwain took over, and still is. It will be s--+ next year too. We simply got lucky as hell this year, and will get slaugherterd Saturday just like last week. but at the same time, it's not an accident that we all of a sudden won 10 games this year. We have a better head coach - I don't think McElwains great or even that good - but even an average coach is light years better than Muschamp."

"Will Muschamp has no clue what he wants to do offensively. He still to this day doesn't know what type of player he wants to recruit on the offensive side of the ball. He has no idea how to manage an offensive roster. More importantly, I can promise you that there or no top flight offensive coordinators that are going to want to work for that doofus. Charlie Weis took a head coaching job at Kansas just to get the hell out of FLA. Brent Pease was made a sacrificial lamb because our dumbass AD had a love boner for Muschamp, and Kurt Roper was just a throw s--t against the wall and see what sticks hire. The latter 2 guys' careers have taken a massive hit, and I can assure you that prospective OCs know that as well. Muschamp has always put out pathetic, helpless offenses on a record-breaking scale. That will not change, ever."

"Muschamp is not passionate and intense, he's a psycho. Dont get that confused. All coaches are intense or passionate or they wouldnt be in the business. His sideline rants and behavior is just a fancy display of grab-assin. Go watch some of his prostgame press conferences after losses on youtube. He's the definition of false bravado."

"His defenses? Overrated. His entire game plan is geared toward being in low scoring games with as few posessions as possible. Our defense's yards per play average is actually not as good as you would think. But he yells and screams and knows what a midline is so that makes him a guru to lots of folks."

"If you think he will bring something different to SC or magically figure out how to run a football program successfully, you're dreaming. That guy is the poster child for the saying "insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results". He thinks he can get the results if he just works harder at doing what he's doing. Anybody that hires him after what he did at UF is an even bigger moron than Muschamp (or Jeremy Foley). You guys can't even begin to understand how inept this doofus is. If he's hired at SC you will hate him, and you'll celebrate when he's inevitably fired."
Very prescient.

Bigger News Flash, They have very active bagmen to make sure that the best of the best come there. Can’t make chicken salad out of ...........

Well you get the picture.
We got to quit using "the bagman" as an excuse. Facts are there are a number of schools that want to win and the schools gets behind the programs to succeed. We don't....and it is not because of a bagman. We have as much $$, as many people with & without scruples as anyone else.

Reactions: Carolina Cocktail
I was adamant about hiring Kirby Smart last time around. There are certain guys who fit almost all the categories. There are some good ones out there and typically I have a checklist of requirements that consider long standing recruiting lines, regional familiarity with conference and talent pool, SEC coaching experience, etc. The guy I have in mind doesn't have much of these normal characteristics I know South Carolina football program needs....but I think he's the guy.
PJ Fleck
I haven't watch more than 15 minutes of that show he's on, and I am not chasing this year's popular coach because of W/L record. I think the combination of youth, energy, approach and understanding make him the guy we need to target. I know walking into SEC coaching territory is different than everywhere else in the nation....but we need to go after a long term guy who is DYNAMIC. It's not just personality with this guy...Saban, Belichik, and a host of others are dynamic in their approach and energy toward their work.

He is that guy. I don't read much on here anymore, and don't know if he's been mentioned 1000 times...but there are a few that fit what we need....and I think he's the guy.

Fleck is a real possibility. Take a look at my post some time ago. I said the same thing - Fleck. Said this two years ago too. Now, he makes around $3 million. This is peanuts for us. We would have to offer him at least $6 million to make him move. He needs a solid 5 years to make this work. Here is my post from another thread (see below).

Fixing the Problem in Men's FB and BB

1. Transfer Tanner to Sports fundraising | Hire an AD with a business background, preferable a finance background who has an understanding and an appreciation for College sports.
2. Bite the bullet pay the buyouts for WM and FM
3. Hire a coach like P.J. Fleck for $6-7 Million for FB (contracts see below)
4. Hire a coach like Gregg Marshall for $6-7 Million

When you do this be careful with the contracts
1. 5 year contracts with built in raises based on performance (win %/division/SEC/BOWL (quality)/ NC/etc).
2. Extensions based on performance (add a year) at the end of each year.
3. Buyouts based on current salary *2.
4. Buyouts activate in at the end of the 5th year. This gives the coaches time to get the program on the right path. If the coach decides to leave he pays back Salary*2.

The contracts need to be refined but that is a basic outline.

In this instant gratification society, the only way a new coach gets 12-15 yrs is if he wins every year, maybe gets a pass for a down year. Even with consistent success, fans will eventually get restless and want change (Fulmer, Richt, Spurrier at UF, Miles, etc..). Believe it or not, there is even a vocal minority at Bama that is getting restless with St Nick. It's the nature of the beast.

In the old days, before CFB became a big business, coaches had opportunities to establish relationships, develop players, build a program and redirect the course if needed. If you look at the record books, several very successful coaches had less than stellar starts at their school before turning things around. They would not have survived with today's venom, and fang gnashing from fans who want instant success.

Muschamp has been one of the hardest working coaches we've had in our history and there have been a lot of positive things under his tenure. He checks a lot of the boxes (SEC Guy, fairly young, etc...), but we haven't been able to consistently put it all together under his watch. Dare I say he too would eventually figure out the right combination if given the opportunity, however, as you see patience is wearing thin. (Only makes the job that much more difficult when lines are drawn between fans and team/coaches, and you have to answer questions constantly about job security, then go out and sell a program ready to run you out on rails). At some point, we will enter the coaching carousel once again, and give the next guy 2-3 yrs before we start calling for his head, rinse and repeat, so on so forth. Can't say I really blame the fans when they have been asked to give, give, give, and then give some more. You've priced out your loyal families and are now left with people who expect a return on their investment, all while never fully understanding no one is more vested in winning than the coaches and players themselves.

The demands will only increase further with players getting endorsments, and eventual full compensation. CFB appears to be losing its luster daily.

I'd say you nailed it.

Wow! So much of this seems to be becoming reality. I don't like the name calling though. Too much of that.

Guys, I understand. While I said I'm "hopeful", I didn't say I believe.I'm trying to be optimistic. If you noticed, I asked whether Muschamp will have evolved to letting his Offensive Coordinator do his job? Has he evolved from a Defensive Coordinator's mentality (wanting to be conservative offensively in order to protect his defense) to that of a Head Coach? I'm hopeful that Muschamp knows what he has done for 8 years has, for the most part, not worked. I'm hopeful he knows that he is "on the clock".. I'll do, though, what most of you will probably do and that is make a realistic short list of who I'd like to see us hire in case Muschamp has not evolved.
According to a lot of insiders, he did that last year until it became too obviously apparent that the OC couldn't tell what the defense was doing to be able to call plays against it. At that point he had no option but to step in.

Bobo is a different animal altogether. He has the experience and trust that WM has needed. He is doing interviews on his own, explaining what he looks for in a QB, what style of offense he runs, etc... He is acting as, and being allowed to be, more of an AHC of Offense.

Fleck is a real possibility. Take a look at my post some time ago. I said the same thing - Fleck. Said this two years ago too. Now, he makes around $3 million. This is peanuts for us. We would have to offer him at least $6 million to make him move. He needs a solid 5 years to make this work. Here is my post from another thread (see below).

Fixing the Problem in Men's FB and BB

1. Transfer Tanner to Sports fundraising | Hire an AD with a business background, preferable a finance background who has an understanding and an appreciation for College sports.
2. Bite the bullet pay the buyouts for WM and FM
3. Hire a coach like P.J. Fleck for $6-7 Million for FB (contracts see below)
4. Hire a coach like Gregg Marshall for $6-7 Million

When you do this be careful with the contracts
1. 5 year contracts with built in raises based on performance (win %/division/SEC/BOWL (quality)/ NC/etc).
2. Extensions based on performance (add a year) at the end of each year.
3. Buyouts based on current salary *2.
4. Buyouts activate in at the end of the 5th year. This gives the coaches time to get the program on the right path. If the coach decides to leave he pays back Salary*2.

The contracts need to be refined but that is a basic outline.

I personally agree with 100% of this. It's hard for me to see how admin/board can't see true coaching talent (difference makers). There are so few of them...…..it's not hard to narrow down. The fact that Fleck is at Minny is great. I know he's had a huge/quick effect on the university, city, etc....he does that everywhere. We need to get him and lock him in as priority #1.

(Clemron's) Their classes then weren't great, 15 to 20 most years but that was enough to allow them to run through the weaker ACC. We were beating them by double figures but they were going to BCS bowls because of BS automatic bids. Those big games lead to them getting even better recruits. They are a big brand now despite the fact that we were dominating them on the field leading up to their big run.

I wonder if a true playoff (not the current, ersatz mini four-team version of the real thing) would have ended with a different result re: UPC.

https://insider.afca.com/this-years-amazing-culture-crash-course-with-pj-fleck/

"However, the peaks and valleys of being a head coach is not lost on Fleck, nor is the importance of building a culture that can withstand such highs and lows. Fleck did not shy away from this topic in his speech but instead shared that he loves taking the jobs that people advise him not to."

"He prefers to look at himself as a “culture driver,” and he relishes the jobs and situations that others deem too hard."

"(Regarding the Minny/Auburn bowl matchup)..."we have 5 four star players on our team....they have 58"

Again...back the boat, bus and any other transportation vehicle full with proper money to land this guy ASAP (which may be Dec 2020/Jan 2021). I know it's not all about money with this guy. If he wants the seemingly insurmountable job/challenge...we have one for him. This is the guy.

Last edited:
Folks can want a coach to come to USC all they want. But the cold facts are that currently the USC football job is one of two things. It's either the last stop, as it was for Spurrier, or a stepping stone job for a younger guy. If a younger coach has some success, the more traditional powers are going to come after him. If Muschamp had come in and immediately turned it around, he would probably be gone already. But he hasnt, so he has about one more year before he has seen his last day as a Power 5 head coach.

According to a lot of insiders, he did that last year until it became too obviously apparent that the OC couldn't tell what the defense was doing to be able to call plays against it. At that point he had no option but to step in.

Bobo is a different animal altogether. He has the experience and trust that WM has needed. He is doing interviews on his own, explaining what he looks for in a QB, what style of offense he runs, etc... He is acting as, and being allowed to be, more of an AHC of Offense.
This is just further indictment of Muschamp's ability to hire OCs.

yes....and we make our 100% all in play for Fleck. Just so happens to be one of the best coaches in the country that THRIVES on climbing the mountains others say can't be climbed.

Reactions: gamecockballfan
Give it up on Fleck. He's not going anywhere. At least not here.

If we HAD to make a coaching move after this season AND we wanted to be absolutely guaranteed winning immediately and winning big, there is one name and one name only to consider. But we'd never have the stones to pull that off.

That gave me chills. Bad ones.

I was adamant about hiring Kirby Smart last time around. There are certain guys who fit almost all the categories. There are some good ones out there and typically I have a checklist of requirements that consider long standing recruiting lines, regional familiarity with conference and talent pool, SEC coaching experience, etc. The guy I have in mind doesn't have much of these normal characteristics I know South Carolina football program needs....but I think he's the guy.
PJ Fleck
I haven't watch more than 15 minutes of that show he's on, and I am not chasing this year's popular coach because of W/L record. I think the combination of youth, energy, approach and understanding make him the guy we need to target. I know walking into SEC coaching territory is different than everywhere else in the nation....but we need to go after a long term guy who is DYNAMIC. It's not just personality with this guy...Saban, Belichik, and a host of others are dynamic in their approach and energy toward their work.

He is that guy. I don't read much on here anymore, and don't know if he's been mentioned 1000 times...but there are a few that fit what we need....and I think he's the guy.

Great. Two choices that didn't want the job. Maybe we should kidnap them.

Folks can want a coach to come to USC all they want. But the cold facts are that currently the USC football job is one of two things. It's either the last stop, as it was for Spurrier, or a stepping stone job for a younger guy. If a younger coach has some success, the more traditional powers are going to come after him. If Muschamp had come in and immediately turned it around, he would probably be gone already. But he hasnt, so he has about one more year before he has seen his last day as a Power 5 head coach.
Dawn Staley. It can happen...if we overcome the buyout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT