ADVERTISEMENT

New football HC for the next 12-15 years

Only thing that got SC a win vs UK last year is we had no QB and had not yet figured out an offense to counter our injuries! Kentucky is very relevant friend, like it or not Stoops has changed the culture at Kentucky! If you and the rest of the country can't see that, then you're all in denial! We will beat the brakes off SCAR this year and compete for the East title! You heard it here first! Mark it down.....
o_O... Y'all are a basketball school who can't beat us in basketball or football.. Let's wait and see if it's a sweep for us when we play on the diamond.

Bigger newsflash....Kirby Smart is 40-11 at Georgia, and has been a serious national championship contender every year after his first year there. But, if you prefer 26-23 ...to each his own.

Smart went to GEORGIA where every other player he inherited is now in the NFL. Kirby would have no better record here.

Reactions: EgotisticalGamecock
o_O... Y'all are a basketball school who can't beat us in basketball or football.. Let's wait and see if it's a sweep for us when we play on the diamond.
C'mon y'all.....you have to know we've passed you on the gridiron.....Top ten D, top rushing offense in the country, 4 of the top 7 O'linemen coming back. One of the top D'lines in the country......what more proof do ya need? Five in a row would've been six if our offense wasn't injured and stagnant when we met last. I'm really just mashin' y'alls taters anyway.....I'm a SCAR resident and a Gamecock fan except one week outa the year.....And am fine with whoever wins the matchup.....But it just makes for fun and gets the blood pumpin' kinda like football!!!

lol ! We're a basketball school.....See you Sep. 26 at Kroger field! Bring yer hardhat. The Bluegrass Bruisers are gonna crush you!!!

This might happen. We have Chump as HC and he cannot fight himself out of a paper bag, let alone coach.

C'mon y'all.....you have to know we've passed you on the gridiron.....Top ten D, top rushing offense in the country, 4 of the top 7 O'linemen coming back. One of the top D'lines in the country......what more proof do ya need? Five in a row would've been six if our offense wasn't injured and stagnant when we met last. I'm really just mashin' y'alls taters anyway.....I'm a SCAR resident and a Gamecock fan except one week outa the year.....And am fine with whoever wins the matchup.....But it just makes for fun and gets the blood pumpin' kinda like football!!!
Yep, I can't wait till it's here and we can get into some real trash talk.. It's fun this early too but nothing like when it's game time..:)

Reactions: CatClause
Ok serious question ... for all the “Muschamp will turn it around guys” . What have you guys seen in his 8 years in the SEC as a HC to back that up ?? Not trolling I’m just curious as to why . It takes an extremely special coach to win big here and I just don’t see it . Please convince me .

I can't convince you, and nobody else can because there is no evidence to support such a claim. I had high hopes due to his pedigree, ties to the conference, success as a DC, etc. But the bottom line is....some guys are HC material, and some aren't.

aside from the obvious injuries that occur - the type injuries that some other
Look a little deeper. LaTech was a last minute win. We were losing that game. Mizzou, well thank the rain and the last minute FG. UT and UF were both down and lost their coaches that year. He had no signature win that season.

Last season he lost to UNC under a first-year coach with a freshman QB. He then lost to App State, a two star team. He gets outcoached.

His offensive philosophy is 1990s. You cannot win with this guy. He hires Bobo his 6th OC. Bobo is no great shakes. Did not do much at UGA given the top flight talent he had. Did not do much at CSU. He hires his buddies. Not working.

This is the cold hard truth. I hate it - but this is how I think our fans with clear eyes see it. UNC is admittedly uber simple on offense too...making that loss all the more maddening.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Only thing that got SC a win vs UK last year is we had no QB and had not yet figured out an offense to counter our injuries! Kentucky is very relevant friend, like it or not Stoops has changed the culture at Kentucky! If you and the rest of the country can't see that, then you're all in denial! We will beat the brakes off SCAR this year and compete for the East title! You heard it here first! Mark it down.....
I am not in denial. I agree with most of this. I think UK will win...but not beat the brakes off of SC. But, he's done a masterful job there. You guys hired the right coach.

Smart went to GEORGIA where every other player he inherited is now in the NFL. Kirby would have no better record here.

He's been there since 2015...safe to say any good or bad that happens is and has been under his watch. He also just completed maybe the biggest Coup since Auburn snagged Rodney Garner from Georgia in the SEC conference coaching world by getting Scott Cochran from Bama. That's what a GREAT leader does- hires a guy that will make his team better while making the best program in the country...which also happens to be in the same conference... weaker. We are getting prison raped in our sub conference and nobody seems to notice this reality. This hire will show big in the first half of the season.

I am not in denial. I agree with most of this. I think UK will win...but not beat the brakes off of SC. But, he's done a masterful job there. You guys hired the right coach.
And that's why I think maybe USC fans should hold their horses just a little longer. If you look back they were ready to run Stoops out of Lexington! I was one of'em screaming the loudest. But he made some coaching adjustments, and pulled in a few decent recruiting classes and went 7-5 in 16' & 17' then 10-3 and 8-5 with a crippled offense. I don't know if Muschamp's the man or not, but he's made adjustments and recruited well.....Took Stoops 7 years to get to 10 wins. Just shows what a little patience can do. And depth.

Exactly.. Kirby Smart is Will Muschamp with better athletes.

That's way too simple to be true. I wish it were true...and then maybe we would be hiring Jim Chaney, Scott Cochran, Matt Luke, Monken, etc.

I want a HC not afraid to surround himself with better coaches than himself. I feel like we have one elite coach (Wolford) and I hope Rocker is still passionate enough to be on that level and not looking to just draw a paycheck.
I do like a lot of these coaches and think 3-4 of them are dang good....but looking to see them have 2-3 consistent years of putting a 9 plus win team on the field for there to be real consideration that they're well above average.

Finally...I think we have had the worst run of OCs I've seen in D1 (Power 5) football in the last 20 years. I'm not being dramatic either. Roper, Mac and now Bobo? Man I hope Bobo proves me wrong.....but I'm pretty sure he won't. It just makes me think WM wants nothing to do with anything resembling a dynamic personality, offensive innovator or smartest guy in the room; basically, his actions suggest that he doesn't want someone on staff (esp. offense) who will upstage him as the HC.

I was adamant about hiring Kirby Smart last time around. There are certain guys who fit almost all the categories. There are some good ones out there and typically I have a checklist of requirements that consider long standing recruiting lines, regional familiarity with conference and talent pool, SEC coaching experience, etc. The guy I have in mind doesn't have much of these normal characteristics I know South Carolina football program needs....but I think he's the guy.
PJ Fleck
I haven't watch more than 15 minutes of that show he's on, and I am not chasing this year's popular coach because of W/L record. I think the combination of youth, energy, approach and understanding make him the guy we need to target. I know walking into SEC coaching territory is different than everywhere else in the nation....but we need to go after a long term guy who is DYNAMIC. It's not just personality with this guy...Saban, Belichik, and a host of others are dynamic in their approach and energy toward their work.

He is that guy. I don't read much on here anymore, and don't know if he's been mentioned 1000 times...but there are a few that fit what we need....and I think he's the guy.

We have a coach for the next 12 - 15 years...

Look no further to Muschamp... He's our new Mark Berson of football...

Word has it that Mark is passing along to Muschamp naked pictures of Trump and Tanner... That's how you stay around for 40 years

And that's why I think maybe USC fans should hold their horses just a little longer. If you look back they were ready to run Stoops out of Lexington! I was one of'em screaming the loudest. But he made some coaching adjustments, and pulled in a few decent recruiting classes and went 7-5 in 16' & 17' then 10-3 and 8-5 with a crippled offense. I don't know if Muschamp's the man or not, but he's made adjustments and recruited well.....Took Stoops 7 years to get to 10 wins. Just shows what a little patience can do. And depth.

Not with Muschamp. He is not HC material. He needs to go. Keeping him longer will put us in a deeper hole. He tanked at UF, a school with better resources. Stoops did not tank before getting to UK.

Not with Muschamp. He is not HC material. He needs to go. Keeping him longer will put us in a deeper hole. He tanked at UF, a school with better resources. Stoops did not tank before getting to UK.
"Never interfere with an enemy while he’s in the process of destroying himself."

Fans should remember this when opposing teams speak glowingly about their struggling coach.

Reactions: SOSUSC
"Never interfere with an enemy while he’s in the process of destroying himself."

Fans should remember this when opposing teams speak glowingly about their struggling coach.

The old ACC basketball joke in preseason was....The good and bad news about the upcoming Clemson's basketball team is this: Bad news is that they have 5 returning starters, and 6 out of their top 7 players back. Good news is....they have those same 5 returning starters, and 6 out of their top 7 players back.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I'm sure we will be shaking in our cleats when we meet at Scary Grocery Store Stadium.
When you're as low as UK 2 & 10 and USC 3 & 9 in the SEC that's rock bottom. Spurrier and staff tanked in recruiting, that's why Spurrier got out! He wasn't going to take on the challenge of a rebuild! That being said, it's going to take 3 to 4 complete recruiting cycles and 5 to 7 years to bring a team that deficient in talent back to relevance in the SEC. IMO, it's ridiculous to call for a coaches head after 3 to 5 years. After 6 to 7, yes.....Absolute idiocy by Arkansas to fire Morris after 1 year! SCAR had a brutal schedule in 2019 with a Freshman QB. Give it this and next season....I think they're gonna turn it around! # 17 recruiting class in the country should add depth and key talent to contribute in 2020!

Reactions: Expro19
When you're as low as UK 2 & 10 and USC 3 & 9 in the SEC that's rock bottom. Spurrier and staff tanked in recruiting, that's why Spurrier got out! He wasn't going to take on the challenge of a rebuild! That being said, it's going to take 3 to 4 complete recruiting cycles and 5 to 7 years to bring a team that deficient in talent back to relevance in the SEC. IMO, it's ridiculous to call for a coaches head after 3 to 5 years. After 6 to 7, yes.....Absolute idiocy by Arkansas to fire Morris after 1 year! SCAR had a brutal schedule in 2019 with a Freshman QB. Give it this and next season....I think they're gonna turn it around! # 17 recruiting class in the country should add depth and key talent to contribute in 2020!

Oh Stop it. You want us to keep this loser so UK has a shot at beating us every year. Be off with your suck up to Muschamp.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Oh Stop it. You want us to keep this loser so UK has a shot at beating us every year. Be off with your suck up to Muschamp.
Not true! Same stuff was being said about Stoops on Wildcat Lair Forum in years 3 and 4 of his tenure.....Glad as hell they were all wrong about him! Gotta give Champ a shot with the staff changes and recruiting progress he's made man, that's all.....If you don't see big progress in 2020, then yes, maybe it's time to move on from him! As much as USC fans want to believe the team had plenty of talent when Muschamp took over, it's just not true!! Will has had to rebuild Gamecock football and that takes time....To the tune of 4 to 7 years. That's just the way it is! Spurrier knew that his recruiters did a piss poor job and he bailed! I remember that year he was interviewed in spring practice and said Quote: " Ahhh Quarterbacks couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, receivers couldn't catch a cold etc. etc......They're rebuilding. Show a little patience!

Not true! Same stuff was being said about Stoops on Wildcat Lair Forum in years 3 and 4 of his tenure.....Glad as hell they were all wrong about him! Gotta give Champ a shot with the staff changes and recruiting progress he's made man, that's all.....If you don't see big progress in 2020, then yes, maybe it's time to move on from him! As much as USC fans want to believe the team had plenty of talent when Muschamp took over, it's just not true!! Will has had to rebuild Gamecock football and that takes time....To the tune of 4 to 7 years. That's just the way it is! Spurrier knew that his recruiters did a piss poor job and he bailed! I remember that year he was interviewed in spring practice and said Quote: " Ahhh Quarterbacks couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, receivers couldn't catch a cold etc. etc......They're rebuilding. Show a little patience!

Are you for real? Stoops will have good teams, but not great teams. We don’t want that. UK got lucky against us many times. We don’t want to be UK.

Are you for real? Stoops will have good teams, but not great teams. We don’t want that. UK got lucky against us many times. We don’t want to be UK.
Also "Not True"! Stoops and UK will win an SEC Championship within the next 3 years! You heard it here first!

You'd have to be a complete bonehead to not be able to get good results at UGA. Mark Richt averaged what? 10 wins per season the whole time he was there? They're virtually guaranteed a top-5 recruiting class almost every cycle and they don't even have to leave the state of GA to get that. You have to give Clemson a little credit for being able to go out and get high caliber recruits from other states. I do feel that is the product of them being the big fish in a small pond. Look back to when we were beating them 5 years straight. Their classes then weren't great, 15 to 20 most years but that was enough to allow them to run through the weaker ACC. We were beating them by double figures but they were going to BCS bowls because of BS automatic bids. Those big games lead to them getting even better recruits. They are a big brand now despite the fact that we were dominating them on the field leading up to their big run.
We got complacent. We were beating them on the field and getting out recruited. Spurrier says now he had some weak coaches as well.

Seriously though.....here's a few reasons why we win SEC in next 3 years.

Highest-graded returning O-linemen

Darian Kinnard, UK - 89.2
Jamaree Salyer, UGA - 81.3
Trey Smith, UT - 78.6
Landon Young, UK - 78.3
Drake Jackson, UK - 78.0
Ben Cleveland, UGA - 77.4
Luke Fortner, UK - 77.0
Carson Green, A&M - 76.3
Trey Hill, UGA - 73.6@PFF_College

And that's just O'line.....D is going to be top ten and plenty of offensive weapons at our disposal!

Seriously though.....here's a few reasons why we win SEC in next 3 years.

Highest-graded returning O-linemen

Darian Kinnard, UK - 89.2
Jamaree Salyer, UGA - 81.3
Trey Smith, UT - 78.6
Landon Young, UK - 78.3
Drake Jackson, UK - 78.0
Ben Cleveland, UGA - 77.4
Luke Fortner, UK - 77.0
Carson Green, A&M - 76.3
Trey Hill, UGA - 73.6@PFF_College

And that's just O'line.....D is going to be top ten and plenty of offensive weapons at our disposal!

I admit that for a basketball school that is good. But it’s still a basketball school. SEC Chsmpionship my foot.

Last edited:
We got complacent. We were beating them on the field and getting out recruited. Spurrier says now he had some weak coaches as well.
Their talent evals were surprisingly poor in Steve's last few seasons. We missed on a lot of guys.

I admit that for a basketball school that is good. But it’s still a basketball school. SEC Chsmpionship my foot.
Getting better and better players every year. And if there's one thing our coaches can do it's evaluate and develop talent. Take a look at our O'line haul this year and already 2 onboard for 2021.....Our trenches are as solid as they come. Throw in Terry Wilson and a crop of 1,000 yard backs and possibly Joey Gatewood (If not this year, next) and a top ten D.....I dunno, I think we may be onto something here.....Not trying to get under anyone's skin! I'm just saying you have to be patient and let Will get depth and push the right buttons. With the haul SCAR got this year I think they will be much improved!

Their talent evals were surprisingly poor in Steve's last few seasons. We missed on a lot of guys.
We missed on a lot of defensive linemen and that's where the wheels fell off for us. Spurrier's best seasons, we had some dominant defensive lines but as those guys graduated or went pro, we didn't get the same type of quality to replace them.

We missed on a lot of defensive linemen and that's where the wheels fell off for us. Spurrier's best seasons, we had some dominant defensive lines but as those guys graduated or went pro, we didn't get the same type of quality to replace them.
& post Shaw/Thompson QBs. That was a head scratcher.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT