ADVERTISEMENT

New University President?

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Looks like there is movement again in the search for a new President for UofSC. See the link.

Also noticed this part of the article:

In addition to being a popular choice on campus, Amiridis’ expected hiring also could alleviate political pressure on USC leaders. Three bills are under consideration at the Statehouse that would remove current university trustees and cut the size of the board in half.

I wasn't aware of these bills at the statehouse but if true, is this the long-needed movement on a total restructure of the BOT?? If so, Gamecock voters in SC need to start contacting their State House reps asking for support. I wish these bills could also remove the involvement of the SC Governor with the UofSC BOT.

Amiridis is a good choice from the academic folks I've talked to. Not sure of an opinion from the athletic side. He certainly knows Carolina so I think that's a good thing

Looks like there is movement again in the search for a new President for UofSC. See the link.

In addition to being a popular choice on campus, Amiridis’ expected hiring also could alleviate political pressure on USC leaders. Three bills are under consideration at the Statehouse that would remove current university trustees and cut the size of the board in half.

I wasn't aware of these bills at the statehouse but if true, is this the long-needed movement on a total restructure of the BOT?? If so, Gamecock voters in SC need to start contacting their State House reps asking for support. I wish these bills could also remove the involvement of the SC Governor with the UofSC BOT.
Bills of this type have been introduced in the last few Legislative sessions. I don't think they ever made it out of committee, TBH.

I'm going to the GOP Legislative Reception Tuesday at the Alumni Center. I may have to bring it up while there.

Yeah, where you are supposed to learn, not push social/political agendas and indoctrinate kids with biased propaganda.
You know, not everything in life need be political. I know plenty of people I went to college with at USC that are conservative for a variety of reasons. Likewise I know many that are liberal for other reasons.

We saw what happens when we inject politics into a university environment with Caslen. Let's let the university run as a university.

You know, not everything in life need be political. I know plenty of people I went to college with at USC that are conservative for a variety of reasons. Likewise I know many that are liberal for other reasons.

We saw what happens when we inject politics into a university environment with Caslen. Let's let the university run as a university.

I agree. It should all be apolitical. But it definitely isn't that now and it wasn't before Caslen.

Yeah, where you are supposed to learn, not push social/political agendas and indoctrinate kids with biased propaganda.

It's a college. Students should be challenged on their opinions. They are adults.

Students should not be penalized for their opinions in a class. But they should have to listen to other opinions and professors with opinions different than their opinion.

I had a professor at USC that complained about politicians and certain political opinions constantly. I agreed with him sometimes, and disagreed with him sometimes. Sometimes he changed my mind on some things. Sometimes he didn't.

98% of the time political issues weren't even an issue at all.

I wouldn't have had it any other way.

But sadly, that's pretty much what colleges and universities are all about these days.

Nah, that's what cable news would have you think.

I have a college student at USC right now. We've had this discussion several times. The great majority of the students are just doing their typical college stuff and working to graduate so they can get a good job in their field of interest.

From what I can tell, he looks to be a good candidate.

I agree, the main thing that needs to happen to the board is that it needs to be downsized- and 12 year term limits need to be implemented.

WE have hundreds of thousands of successful alums. We can find several dozen to be candidates that would be great BOT members willing to serve.

We have to get away from BOT members serving for 20-30 and even 38 years as we have now. That should anger every USC alumnus.

Folks like Eddie Floyd, who has served for almost 40 years should never be allowed to serve that long. He won't quit, so the law needs to change to force him to quit.

The only way that happens it that USC alums email their reps and senators - as I have done numerous times- and tell them exactly that - term limits need to be implemented this year.

I'm all for him if he can improve our academic standing...we have been ranked behind Vandy, UF, UGA, Texas A&M, and I believe Auburn depending on the publication you look at...I can see Vandy and UF but we should be #3 on the academic side, imo...

We are an academic institution first...sure I want Carolina to be tops in all Sports in the SEC...I would love for Carolina to be known as the Stanford of the East but I guess that title goes to UF...

Reactions: nikolas22

I have a college student at USC right now. We've had this discussion several times. The great majority of the students are just doing their typical college stuff and working to graduate so they can get a good job in their field of interest.
Indoctrination is bad and that is all college does today. I know this from the limited set of opinions that I’ll pay attention to as long as they tell me what I want to hear.

Can someone describe what a President does besides being a figurehead and leading cheers at sporting events? For better or worse, that seems to be what it boils down to when people talk about it online. I just want what is best for the University and don't want politicians choosing.

Reactions: USC2USC
Can someone describe what a President does besides being a figurehead and leading cheers at sporting events? For better or worse, that seems to be what it boils down to when people talk about it online. I just want what is best for the University and don't want politicians choosing.
University Presidents are incredibly important. Just a few things they do are set much of the tone for the community as the leader, are the school's chief fundraiser, responsible for the relationship with the board, lead efforts with local, state and federal government officials and agencies an hire and supervise the chief leaders of the university community.

And that is not a comprehensive list.

University Presidents are incredibly important. Just a few things they do are set much of the tone for the community as the leader, are the school's chief fundraiser, responsible for the relationship with the board, lead efforts with local, state and federal government officials and agencies an hire and supervise the chief leaders of the university community.

I was about to type something like that, but then I thought maybe he means from the perspective of a sports fan. In which case he's about accurate

I was about to type something like that, but then I thought maybe he means from the perspective of a sports fan. In which case he's about accurate
I think even one thing sports fans tend to miss is that the athletic department benefits from the overall strength of the university. If the athletic department leadership is where it should be (ours is not) who the President is matters less.

Thank you. And my question was not really sports related, although, sports are really important. I think the quality of applicants has drastically changed since Nick Saban arrived at Alabama.

So how does a university improve its standing? To simplify things, I assume better applicants, better instructors, better relationships/partnerships, better fundraising, and better funding.

So how do you get people to want to come to learn and teach at USC and stick around and be invested? How does the City and region support the University and what does the University give in return? Just thinking out loud. Columbia has so much to offer, in my opinion.

Kind of related, but Clemson has extension centers all over the state. They are involved and doing reaseach in local communities. To what extent does USC do that?

Kind of related, but Clemson has extension centers all over the state. They are involved and doing reaseach in local communities. To what extent does USC do that?
The big thing is the regional campuses: 4 year campuses Upstate, Beaufort and Aiken; 2 year campuses Lancaster, Salkehatchie, Sumter, Union.

Clemson handles the farm stuff though.

Fun fact that some don't know -- USC Sumter started out as Clemson Sumter. They pursued regional campuses for half a second. It later became USC Sumter. I've seen an old library book from there with Clemson stamped on it.

More people know this one, but Francis Marion and Coastal Carolina started out as USC branch campuses.

I don’t care about his political leanings- if the man can use his position to start nudging the football team towards an SEC or National Championship then he can be full blown Communist for all I care. (Most professors in academia already are anyway)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ratheolcoach

The BOT structure should be reworked no matter who becomes President. I like the sound of this hiring. I like the prospect of reforming the BOT even better. They are stifling the state's flagship university.

Too much pussyfooting……Send in the Marines

From what I can tell, he looks to be a good candidate.

I agree, the main thing that needs to happen to the board is that it needs to be downsized- and 12 year term limits need to be implemented.

WE have hundreds of thousands of successful alums. We can find several dozen to be candidates that would be great BOT members willing to serve.

We have to get away from BOT members serving for 20-30 and even 38 years as we have now. That should anger every USC alumnus.

Folks like Eddie Floyd, who has served for almost 40 years should never be allowed to serve that long. He won't quit, so the law needs to change to force him to quit.

The only way that happens it that USC alums email their reps and senators - as I have done numerous times- and tell them exactly that - term limits need to be implemented this year.
I wish I could like this 1,000 times. It is a wonder the University is as good as it is considering the way the Board is set up and you cannot get the not so good ones off of it. I attended USC, as did many of my family including my daughter, and I also worked there when Dr. Pastides was President. He did a great job of updating many policies and procedures, hiring good Professors and staff, was a big fan of the athletic department and let Hootie and the Blowfish perform on the Horseshoe. Good times.

Tom Jones, nuff said

Let's let the university run as a university.
Then by ALL MEANS the BOT must be lessoned in number, and the Gov (No Matter who he/she may be and No Matter which party) needs to be kept the H_ll Out (i.e., case in point: Nikki Haley)!!!

JMHOFWIW, but it is correct! =;-p

Reactions: nikolas22

Exactly. I think people who didn’t go to college have a weird opinion of what the vast, vast majority of it is. I wish my Physics classes had some politics injected trying to indoctrinate me, I may have paid more attention.

I went to the USC in basically two different eras and there wasn’t one Professor I had who tried to push any agenda that an individual 20 (or 36) year old couldn’t overcome. I can tell you one thing you can take to the bank, and that’s that I see this supposed indoctrination lot more in the real world these days and it all stems from the fact most adults are very polarized these days and their self esteem is boosted (or not) if they know you are like minded, and too many people identify with this singular fact. You are neither a party, nor who you voted for.

Congratulations President Amiridis! Serve us well.

Yeah. Seems like just the guy the "academic folks" would like.

Poor GoCocksFight2021, he's reserving opinion until Tucker Carlson and Joe Rogan tell him what to think about Amiridis

Amiridis was previously a candidate to replace Sorensen, correct? That speaks well to how he is thought of and respected at Carolina. We desperately need a steady hand who can guide us back to respectability after the Caslen debacle, so this might be just the right move. I wish him all the success, at any rate.

Poor GoCocksFight2021, he's reserving opinion until Tucker Carlson and Joe Rogan tell him what to think about Amiridis

I've long ago formed my opinion about anybody that fell for the stupidity he was spewing that video.

But that is the standard spill from just about any university president these days. We will see what he actually does in the job. Hopefully he will focus on the things to make school better as an institution of high learning. The fact that the faculty and staff isn't pitching another temper tantrum and trying to submarine him already is a plus.

As it stands, he's our President, and I'll support him until he gives me reason to do otherwise.

The guy is an engineer. I have worked with engineers all my life and they don't see anything but black and white for the most part. I suspect he avoids the gray area of politics at all costs.
I am an engineer (USC alumni) and I assure you that stereotyping all engineers into one personality type is wrong on many fronts. I, and many engineers that I associate with, do not "avoid the gray area of politics", whatever that means; and in fact are very much involved in politics. If an engineer is designing a bridge then he or she better use "black and white" methods, but it doesn't mean he or she is unable to think in broader terms, like any other professional. You are either uninformed, like to stereotype groups, or you used a bad choice of words.

Indoctrination is bad and that is all college does today. I know this from the limited set of opinions that I’ll pay attention to as long as they tell me what I want to hear.
You're not giving college students enough credit.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT